PDA

View Full Version : NRL: Sheens to Newcastle, Simmons as Sheens replacement?

DeeGan
08-02-06, 11:52 AM
NRL: Sheens to Newcastle, Simmons as Sheens replacement?

Another rumour and possibility with Tim Sheens off contract after this season. If Sheens leaves, Scott Prince will be back in QLD with one of the three clubs chasing him.

Eel 33
08-02-06, 11:55 AM
If thats the case, Benji re-signed too early. Maybe ok for the Titans when his contract ends though, perfect replacement for Preston when he does retire.

Dakink
08-02-06, 11:56 AM
Hadnt really thought of this - when does Sheens contract end?

Eel 33
08-02-06, 12:01 PM
End of this season.

Luke
08-02-06, 03:55 PM
I hope Sheens will coach the Knights.

Steve Dangerous
08-02-06, 04:03 PM
Without sheens then there's definately a big chance players will be more inclined to leave... this could work out well for us.

Titanium_BD1103
14-02-06, 10:02 AM
It should and it could even further.. Sheens had talks with Newcastle yesterday.. :)

From: http://foxsports.news.com.au/story/0,8659,18138485-23214,00.html

Knights meet Sheens
By Barry Toohey
February 14, 2006

PREMIERSHIP-winning coach Tim Sheens' long-term future at Wests Tigers is under a cloud after he held secret negotiations with Newcastle Knights officials in Sydney late yesterday.

Canberra: Furner on Raiders short list

Sheens comes off contract with Wests Tigers at the end of this season, but it had generally been accepted he would extend his coaching career beyond 2006 after taking his young side to premiership glory last year.

Sheens was reluctant last night to disclose anything about his negotiations with Newcastle.

"It's not for me to comment on - I'd rather not," he said. "Whatever (Newcastle) want to say is up to them, but it is not really my place to be talking about it."

Newcastle officials were due to meet last night to discuss the coaching issue but a planned board meeting was put on hold.

Wests Tigers chief executive Steve Noyce was not aware of the Knights' meeting with Sheens.

"No, I didn't know that, but Tim has spoken to me previously about the approach from Newcastle," Noyce said.

"I'm not surprised there is interest there and I'd view it as a compliment to Tim, but I certainly believe there is still unfinished business here at the Tigers."

Meanwhile, Canberra coach Matthew Elliott was encouraged by the club to test his value on the open market but will re-sign within a week, Raiders chief executive Simon Hawkins insisted last night.

Elliott has also been linked to the Newcastle job.

"He has indicated to me he is definitely a one-club man. We expect to re-sign him," Hawkins said.

The Daily Telegraph