PDA

View Full Version : Next WCC in Dubai?

Dakink
08-02-06, 09:59 AM
Tigers tip Dubai as possible WCC venue

February 7, 2006 - 4:20PM

Wests Tigers have come up with a novel solution to nullify the home advantage for next year's World Club Challenge - play the match in Dubai.

The Tigers returned to Sydney after being thumped 30-10 by Bradford, continuing the recent dominance of Super League clubs on English soil.

It was the biggest of the nine successes by British clubs in 12 WCC matches since 1987, with the timing of the match and home ground advantage again giving the Super League side an edge.

Tigers CEO Steve Noyce suggested Dubai as an alternative to staging the game in Australia or England.

"I think Dubai is a good place to think about," Noyce said.

"When you look at Dubai, they are looking to change their culture and the way they promote their country as a tourist destination.

"For the Dubai Sevens, they built a temporary 30,000-seat stadium and if you did that sort of thing I'm sure you would get plenty of corporate support.

"If they are looking to do something, maybe that's an option."

An increasing number of sporting events are being staged in the United Arab Emirates - Tiger Woods recently took out the Dubai Desert Classic, the Dubai Rugby Sevens opened the IRB Sevens World Series, Roger Federer will headline a stellar field in this month's Dubai Tennis Championships, while the Dubai World Cup is racing's richest thoroughbred race.

NRL chief operating officer Graham Annesley said there was a chance of staging next year's WCC in Dubai if a partner came on board to underwrite the costs.

"We've had discussions on that type of thing fairly recently but what it all hinges on is some sort of private promoter being involved or government assistance which would underwrite the cost of staging it," he said via phone from the United States.

"It's not something that is out of the question.

"The World Club Challenge is a very expensive event to stage, no matter where it is played you have to factor in things like airfares, accommodation, prize money and administration.

"We're not saying `no', but we'd need someone to partner us for it to work."

? 2006 AAP

http://www.smh.com.au/news/Sport/Ti...9074218350.html

DeeGan
08-02-06, 10:16 AM
Great - but what about somewhere where the international game is looking to further grow? A game featuring two big name teams would be a welcomed boost in the arm for the governing body there.

Dakink
08-02-06, 10:24 AM
Yep I magine a game like this in PNG or Germany etc..

DeeGan
08-02-06, 11:00 AM
Yep I magine a game like this in PNG or Germany etc..

Yeah, "it would go off" as my 16 y.o. brother would say :laugh:

This is the type of idea the RLIF should be looking at to proactively promote the game with minimum fuss. What about staging the game in Greece? Malta? South Africa? Lebanon?

Endless possibilities.

Eel 33
08-02-06, 12:45 PM
Anything to "stop the rot" when it comes to the poms continually winning the WCC. Why not have it in Dubai? There's $$$ in every corner there. Events get noticed when they're in Dubai.

Ipswich Fan
08-02-06, 12:48 PM
What sort of crowd would they get in Dubai though? I think that if they were to play the match on a neutral venue it would be best to play somewhere that has rugby league.

Eel 33
08-02-06, 12:52 PM
Ok PNG then. Guarenteed to pull a crowd, fox sports has the broadcast rights to televise internationally and we (AUS) get our way with the climate. The pommie team will melt as they step off the plane. :win: