PDA

View Full Version : Some more new names in NYC 2013

mdrew
21-01-13, 02:20 PM
Romney Leavea - Ipswich MM

Tevita Folau - Ipswich MM - centre/wing, cousin of Isreal.

Douglas Faaiu - Wests Panthers MM - represented Somoa U18's in 2012

Jackson Briskey-Liscombe - wing - very very quick - Toowoomba MM

Francis Veykiso - front row - formerly NQ scolarship holder.

McCauley Dawson - centre - Coffs Harbour. http://focusmag.com.au/coffs/featured/macauley-dawson-rising-rugby-league-star

Steve Tolo - wing - Titans MM then played some Qcup colts with Seagulls.

Titanic
21-01-13, 03:04 PM
Thanks mdrew ... nice piece on Dawson.

Hail Sezer
21-01-13, 03:08 PM
Thanks again mdrew.
I've been meaning to ask you, will Matt Beddow be playing NYC again this year or Q cup?

mdrew
21-01-13, 03:54 PM
I would say Qcup. He has nothing left to prove in NYC and Qcup would be great for his development by playing against men. The problem for him last year was that he was thinking two plays ahead and no one selse in the NYC could keep up.

Hail Sezer
21-01-13, 05:48 PM
Thought so. He's a pretty decent half isn't he? Likely to crack first grade?

mdrew
21-01-13, 06:19 PM
It is not out of the question that if Kelly and Rankin struggle, he is given a chance later in the year. This is the second off season that Matt has trained with the top squad.

Thought so. He's a pretty decent half isn't he? Likely to crack first grade?

nycdatabase
22-01-13, 03:36 PM
Hey guys, just some info on Francis Veukiso.

Born in NZ, from Townsville, Aus Schoolboy in 2010. Spent two years with the Cowboys 20's and played in the 2011 grand final off the bench. While not the most polished player (though, which u/20's player is), hes a big, hard running prop who can break a tackle. Very good signing by the Titans. Good luck in 2013.

mdrew
22-01-13, 03:52 PM
Thanks for that, any information on the U20 guys is greatly appreciated.

Hey guys, just some info on Francis Veukiso.

Born in NZ, from Townsville, Aus Schoolboy in 2010. Spent two years with the Cowboys 20's and played in the 2011 grand final off the bench. While not the most polished player (though, which u/20's player is), hes a big, hard running prop who can break a tackle. Very good signing by the Titans. Good luck in 2013.

lonegull
22-01-13, 04:03 PM
I wonder when the profiles will be updated on the website for the NYC squad

mdrew
22-01-13, 04:07 PM
Hopefully soon, but at least we are starting to get some information on the squad.

I wonder when the profiles will be updated on the website for the NYC squad

lonegull
22-01-13, 04:10 PM
Yeah agree seems as though its going to be a new team from the information received with the new players coming in

mdrew
22-01-13, 06:18 PM
Article on Tevita Folau from May 2012:

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport/nrl/tevita-folau-stands-his-ground-to-follow-his-dream-of-playing-nrl/story-e6frep5x-1226290929198

Hail Sezer
25-01-13, 03:34 PM
Some of the profiles are up now mdrew. Can't believe how much older Jamal Fogarty looks

mdrew
25-01-13, 05:44 PM
Yes it is good to see the profiles being updated. The team this year will certainly be bigger than last year's side. Also there will certainly be a lot of pace out wide. Obviously too early to start looking at possible line-ups, but there should be very good competition for wing and back row spots. A lot will depend on where players like Russell, Hunt and Beddow start. Look for some MM boys like Anthony Coleman, Zac Spring and Wilson to push for spots once that competition ends in May.

Hail Sezer
25-01-13, 05:47 PM
Will there be stern competition in the halves? Matt Beddow, Jamal Fogarty and Kane Elgey. Have heard they are all decent.

mdrew
25-01-13, 05:59 PM
No, like the last couple of seasons we seem to lack options in the halves. Kane will be better for playing last year (even though still eligible for U18's). He is very talented but has to learn (like most young playmkers) when to run and when to pass. Jamal struggled in defence both in the halves and at fullback. I fear that Matt will be needed to play 5/8, instead of half. Don't get me wrong, he is a more than capable 5/8, but his future is that of a half back. We have some talented MM boys in the halves, I would expect someone like Nathan Wilson to push up from U18's if the team struggles early on.

lonegull
01-02-13, 05:59 PM
Just looking at the updated profiles looks like the titans may have a few big boppers this year something that we really lacked last year was size

mdrew
15-02-13, 10:35 AM
The two "new names" in the team list for the NYC trial against the Bronco's are 16 Matt Applebee and 23 Seti Launiuvao. Matt Applebee was part of the Penrith SG Ball squad last year. Seti Launiuvao was part of the Roosters SG Ball squad and is from the Ipswich region originally. We seem to have hade some in roads into the Ipswich region of late.

Titanic
16-02-13, 12:45 AM
I am very pleased to see some positive movement in this squad.

lonegull
16-02-13, 07:51 AM
I am very pleased to see some positive movement in this squad.

Totally agree and was needed after last year performance

And thanks mdrew for the information it's been great

TITAN PETE
16-02-13, 08:28 AM
Totally agree and was needed after last year performance

And thanks mdrew for the information it's been great

It has been fantastic , nice to have someone giving us some "Real & informative" news :thumbsup:

Hail Sezer
04-04-13, 06:46 PM
Why is the fullback imported from the UK, who trains with the first grade squad, playing on the....wing?!

mdrew
04-04-13, 08:42 PM
Unfortunately he has dropped a lot of ball

Titanic
04-04-13, 09:09 PM
Hey MD could you give us your insight into how this team is going, please?

isaiah
05-04-13, 06:26 PM
behind early vs broncs 4-0

isaiah
05-04-13, 06:39 PM
back to 4-4

isaiah
05-04-13, 07:00 PM
titans 10-4

isaiah
05-04-13, 08:23 PM
broncs won 28-22 with an 18yo halfback scoring 3 tries and 4 goals

mdrew
05-04-13, 10:29 PM
yet another horrific loss - do not worry we will send out the same side next week for the same result

mdrew
06-04-13, 07:11 AM
Hey MD could you give us your insight into how this team is going, please?

Unfortunately Titanic, not good. After a very good preseason and solid win in round 1, things have gone down hill. You can probably excuse the effort against Canberra because of the conditions but not against Manly, the second half against Penrith and a dissapointing effort against the Bronco's. Last year we blooded a number of younger players and I expected that it would make a difference this year, sadly not to be. It is too early to say boys like Sam Harrold and Jahrome Hughes won't shine though. After the Bronco's scored late you could see the heads drop. One of the problems is depth, the Seagulls and Burleigh Colts are struggling and no one is putting thier hand up to demand inclusion. We continue to play boys out of position, Matt Beddow is a half back not a 5/8. At the U18 level, the GC sides are sitting second and third, but we have brought young boys up before, do we do it again? Unfortunately the bigger issue though is that some of the better performed boys are Tigers contracted due to Keebra Park. Also even the really good one's contracted to us including James Iodice, Anthony Coleman, will they actually play with us, or be signed away by the Roosters and bronco's, look through the their NYC sides are you wil see what I mean. Going further down, some of the more talented U16's are already with the bronco's, fingers croseed for boys like Keanu Dawson etc. The article in the Bulliten about us looking to Fiji notes something along the lines of the Titans doing a good job on the coast, I beg to differ. If the club disagrees, feel free to let us know who our Juniors are. To finish, poor Hymel Hunt, he is the stand out and can not get a game in first grade, give him a go, look how Matt Srama and Ryan James etc went when we gave them a chance. Rant over, unfortunately it will not make a difference, I will try to keep pumping up our Juniors, the club will not.

neranga
06-04-13, 10:20 PM
get rid of the recruitment scouts and the coast would be a force..Sam Gee watched Sam on the coast for years but how he stays in the team aint really a mystery.Need some ball playing forwards and there are some in the wings waiting for a chance but when your main scout runs the water what do you expect.Breed some of the 18s they have got some good players in both sides!!!

Titanic
07-04-13, 12:52 AM
Guys, thanks for the up-date. It sounds very frustrating but one thing for certain if you don't keep mentioning it nobody will know. There are many of us who appreciate your efforts and eventually management will get a chance to deal with some of that I'm sure.

Why am I sure sitting all the way over here in China? Because rugby league clubs can only take poor results for so long and sooner rather than later the senior recruitment team is going to be held accountable. Accountability hasn't been our strong point and so not everything can be fixed at once but all the signs are there for some of the apathy and comfort zones to be removed.

Keep at it mate, there are many who very much appreciate it.

mdrew
07-04-13, 07:27 AM
get rid of the recruitment scouts and the coast would be a force..Sam Gee watched Sam on the coast for years but how he stays in the team aint really a mystery.Need some ball playing forwards and there are some in the wings waiting for a chance but when your main scout runs the water what do you expect.Breed some of the 18s they have got some good players in both sides!!!

You are right about the 18's Neranga, they were on show yesterday at Runaway Bay. Even though GC Green in MM struggled yesterday, they have some real talent. Best in MM yesterday from both teams included Shaun Hudson, Tim Wolens, Jackson Clarke, Sam Swift.

neranga
07-04-13, 10:15 AM
You are right about the 18's Neranga, they were on show yesterday at Runaway Bay. Even though GC Green in MM struggled yesterday, they have some real talent. Best in MM yesterday from both teams included Shaun Hudson, Tim Wolens, Jackson Clarke, Sam Swift.

the loss of swifty really was a big loss for green MM,I wish they would of pushed Oshae or Coleman into the right edge cos that side has leaked so many points so far.Oshae had never played 5/8 ever and did well for the team but was picked as a lock,prop sec row and never got to play there.My young fella has not been picked at all and his confidence has been dented but told him work hard and keep your head up!!!

mdrew
07-04-13, 11:27 AM
Sorry to hear about your boy, but great advice.

mdrew
07-04-13, 04:04 PM
Unfortunately losses for both Seagulls and Burleigh Colts sides today. Both sides have only won one out of four. One positive is that after yesterdays MM games at Runaway Bay GC White is in second and should make semi's. Maybe after the conclusion of the MM competition, some can be considered for NYC. Names like hooker, Aaron Booth, centre Sean Hudson, half Daniel Schwass, second row Jackson Clarke and the Pelo boys are some to think of, but too many at once is probably not a great way to go until the season is totally gone. GC Green has their share of talented players as well, including centre Zac Spring, half Sam Grant, backrowers Sam Swift and Anthony Coleman. One of the best players in GC Green is a young backrower from NZ Lamar- Manuel Liolevave, not sure but I believe that Wests Tiges have him signed up pity but there are a lot of talented local boys that we need to keep and develop into the best young men and players they can be. Forgot front rower Iodice as well.

mdrew
07-04-13, 04:05 PM
Two other names to consider are Ipswich boys Tavita Folau and Lorenzo Vogel, both are wingers with talent.

mdrew
07-04-13, 04:41 PM
the loss of swifty really was a big loss for green MM,I wish they would of pushed Oshae or Coleman into the right edge cos that side has leaked so many points so far.Oshae had never played 5/8 ever and did well for the team but was picked as a lock,prop sec row and never got to play there.My young fella has not been picked at all and his confidence has been dented but told him work hard and keep your head up!!!

I have felt sorry for Oshae all year as well, hard playing of of position at 5/8, thought he has made in impact running the ball though. There is no one who tries harder

neranga
08-04-13, 08:09 AM
he will be right mate advice from us as parents means nothing to the kids,they want to hear it from everyone else.lol.Another kid I think is a massive talent is Max Elliot the kid is as tough as they come,I agree with most of the kids you have mentioned Mdrew bar Zac Spring.He is fast but maybe needs to work really hard on defence and being shifted to wing may be better for him.But I really think we have some great juniors I just wish the people that matter can keep them!!!

mdrew
08-04-13, 08:04 PM
Hey he is a talent, they breed them tough in the country, his younger brother is not bad either. Another young guy I was impressed by was Tim Wolens for GC White, a solid young frontrower. I would be interested in your opinion of Rhys Duke and Keanu Rimene, Rhys especially I think is hard worker.

neranga
08-04-13, 09:21 PM
Hey he is a talent, they breed them tough in the country, his younger brother is not bad either. Another young guy I was impressed by was Tim Wolens for GC White, a solid young frontrower. I would be interested in your opinion of Rhys Duke and Keanu Rimene, Rhys especially I think is hard worker.

Yeah Keanu is safe without being spectacular,Dukey is been one of my favorite players in this age group for a while.Think he will do well if given the chance as well as Tim if he aint still with the BRONCS!!

mdrew
22-05-13, 05:05 PM
Mitch Sharp to make his debut this week off the bench. A good young front rower. Played well in MM last year and solid so far in colts this time around. Congratulations Mitch

a flash of gordon
25-05-13, 06:44 PM
Just a question, what under 20's should we retain for next season for our NRL squad because I read earlier this week that the Roosters wanted Jahrome Hughes back?

Hail Sezer
25-05-13, 06:48 PM
Just a question, what under 20's should we retain for next season for our NRL squad because I read earlier this week that the Roosters wanted Jahrome Hughes back?

Saw that in the RLW too via Moley. Apparently we've retained him though

mdrew
25-05-13, 06:58 PM
Jahrome Hughes is talented, just not sure of his best position to be honest. Still eligible next year for NYC I believe, others to consider for NRL squad, would include Hymel Hunt and Matt Beddow obviously, with Kurtis McDonald one to watch. Zac Friend will probably need a year or two in Qcup, but would also be worth keeping an eye on.

Saw that in the RLW too via Moley. Apparently we've retained him though

a flash of gordon
25-05-13, 08:00 PM
Thanks for the update mdrew

Titanic
26-05-13, 08:32 PM
Any chance of a match review of the mother of all comebacks?

Toads
26-05-13, 08:43 PM
Any chance of a match review of the mother of all comebacks?

They got up

Got the ball

And come back into the game?

:D

Seriously though, it does seem like a huge feat was pulled off today, by the lads. It's definitely a refreshing change to the usual outcome that we've become acustomed to. Hopefully it's a turning point for our NYC Squad. :)

Titanic
26-05-13, 10:03 PM
I watched Parra play some weeks ago and they were pretty hot.

TITAN PETE
27-05-13, 08:37 AM
I think the new name in the 20's is Scott Mahon & he's the reason the boys have turned the corner , he is a brilliant coach who simplifies Game Plans & knows how to get into the players heads to get whats needed out of them & most importantly the players like him.

Assistant Coach for less than 3 weeks for 2 wins