PDA

View Full Version : Local cricketer scores century in 21 balls

TITAN PETE
15-01-13, 11:28 AM
Terry Wilson | 12:01am January 15, 2013

OUT at Oxenford Oval they're calling local accountant Shane Basile the Chris Gayle of Coomera.

But even the West Indian master blaster would struggle to match the remarkable feat that Basile produced for his Coomera-Hope Island Cricket Club sixth-grade side in a fixture against Burleigh Heads on Saturday.

Coming in at No.6 when the Islanders were 4-30, Big Bash Basile was next man out with the team score on 190 and with 126 runs to his name -- from only 27 deliveries faced.

In an amazing innings, Basile brought up his 100 from only 21 deliveries -- the minimum anyone can do that from is 17 deliveries.

In all, Basile cleared the boundary line 19 times, hit two fours, a two, two singles and registered only three dot balls -- one of them the ball that dismissed him when he was clean bowled.

To start his blazing run, Basile hit six sixes from the first seven deliveries he faced, then had two dot balls before 10 more sixes from the next 11 balls -- including every cricketer's dream of six sixes in one over.

That is akin to a 501 peg-out in nine darts or a tenpin bowler's perfect 300 (13 strikes) score.

Basile was quick to point out that the match venue, Frank Chasten Oval at Gilston, is hardly of MCG proportions.

"It was all a little bit silly because the ground is not that big and they (Burleigh) weren't bowling well," Basile said of his career-high performance.

"I've hit a couple of good scores in the past, but certainly nothing like this.

"I'm pretty much a social cricketer and I just like to have some fun with my mates.

"I also have a few other mates in Burleigh's side, but I guess we're not such good mates anymore."

The over when Basile hit six successive sixes took about 20 minutes to complete.

"They lost something like three balls -- and they even had a drinks break in the middle of the over while players were looking for the balls," Basile said.

The unfortunate victim of the Basile onslaught was Burleigh bowler Stephen Best. He conceded 60 runs from his only two overs.

CHI won the match, scoring 274 and dismissing Burleigh for 196.

Before Saturday's fireworks, Basile had a run of scores that included 93, 67 and 63 and is averaging 60.38 per innings.

Cricket Gold Coast has subsequently ordered Basile to move up a grade, although Coomera officials are going to play him in the fourths because they feel that side has a good chance of making the finals.

TITAN PETE
15-01-13, 11:32 AM
Impressive but sounds like a 1st grade NRL player playing park footy against school kids...

Julius Sezer
15-01-13, 03:34 PM
6th grade aint too bad. Heck a century in that amount of balls is incredible even if it was against 13 year olds!