PDA

View Full Version : Round 4 2013: PANTHERS vs TITANS

DIEHARD
05-01-13, 07:54 PM
Penrith Panthers vs Gold Coast Titans
Sunday March 31 3:00 PM - Centrebet Stadium

Boofhead
24-03-13, 10:30 AM
8 day turn around has come at a good time, were some tired legs out there. A match off might do the world of good for Harro with origin just around the corner.

Toads
24-03-13, 10:33 AM
We're gunna get Steamrolled..

Julius Sezer
24-03-13, 11:44 AM
We need to smash these bunch of chickpeas. It would do a whole lot of good for our for and against.

Titanic
24-03-13, 12:42 PM
We're gunna get Steamrolled..

Ah-ha the old reverse psychology trick :) no complacency and we'll be competitive again. The Souffs game today should give us a benchmark.

thelwall
24-03-13, 03:41 PM
we have the chance to win the next 8 games easy

Julius Sezer
24-03-13, 04:16 PM
we have the chance to win the next 8 games easy

we need to win as many games as possible because our run home is going to be difficult.

Titanic
24-03-13, 05:37 PM
one at a time for me

Toads
24-03-13, 08:23 PM
one at a time for me

Yup, after hearing a from a couple of players (post game) this year, it seems to be their approach as well.

And personally, I wouldn't be that upset if we didn't make the top 8 this year. Just as long as the guys gel this year, to eventually build to be a formidable team in 2014 and beyond. ;)

teke
24-03-13, 10:47 PM
Yup, after hearing a from a couple of players (post game) this year, it seems to be their approach as well.

And personally, I wouldn't be that upset if we didn't make the top 8 this year. Just as long as the guys gel this year, to eventually build to be a formidable team in 2014 and beyond. ;)Id be shocked if we didnt make the 8 this yr.

Looking at the first 3 rds, there are 4/5 very ordinary teams in the comp

Toads
24-03-13, 11:14 PM
Id be shocked if we didnt make the 8 this yr.

Looking at the first 3 rds, there are 4/5 very ordinary teams in the comp

Yeah, for sure. Going by our early stats this year, we're well ahead of some of the usual front runners. Three Rounds in, we do look like serious contenders.

But to be closer to the point to my previous comment. I was basically putting it out there that I don't particular care where we end up this year. Just as long as the team comes together. Though here we are, only the 3rd round in, the guys have gelled quite well already. :)

Only minor downside I could draw on yesterday's match. Was the lads looked a lil' rattled when Manly started to make their comeback in the 2nd half. A few panic maneuvers in Defense for a handful of minutes. But the lads seemed to find their composure once again, and got on with it. If that happened in either 2011 or 2012 with us, it would've thrown some of our guys for the rest of the match, in some cases.

To me, they're the promising signs that we've got something good coming together in 2013. :thumbsup:

DavidBouveng
24-03-13, 11:26 PM
Yeah, for sure. Going by our early stats this year, we're well ahead of some of the usual front runners. Three Rounds in, we do look like serious contenders.

But to be closer to the point to my previous comment. I was basically putting it out there that I don't particular care where we end up this year. Just as long as the team comes together. Though here we are, only the 3rd round in, the guys have gelled quite well already. :)

Only minor downside I could draw on yesterday's match. Was the lads looked a lil' rattled when Manly started to make their comeback in the 2nd half. A few panic maneuvers in Defense for a handful of minutes. But the lads seemed to find their composure once again, and got on with it. If that happened in either 2011 or 2012 with us, it would've thrown some of our guys for the rest of the match, in some cases.

To me, they're the promising signs that we've got something good coming together in 2013. :thumbsup:

I know what u mean by a few minutes of panic. But the re shuffle was a bit crazy and caused most of it. Taka went off, and we moved Albert to fullback , bird to 5/8th and ridge to centre or something. It was a weird re shuffle and lucky we rallied to fight of the challenge.

Steve
25-03-13, 08:01 AM
This is the one game where I won't be cheering the Titans. :D

But in all honesty, I think they'll win.

Panthers aren't the strongest team going around, but the bunnies are definitely one of them, and that game could have gone the other way.

Titans forward pack will dominate, and Titans defence has been much better than the Panthers this year.

That said, Panthers attack looked much better when compared to the other week when every set ended with a bomb, and Segeyaro will be hard for any defence to stop.

Should be a cracker. :D

C-Whiz
25-03-13, 08:04 AM
one at a time for meYes, definitely. Planning half a season ahead is pretty pointless. Take each game as it comes.

Id be shocked if we didnt make the 8 this yr.

Looking at the first 3 rds, there are 4/5 very ordinary teams in the compAnd this. I honestly can't understand a lot of the early negativity before the season kicked off, and now that we have shown what we have got, what we can do, and people still wonder whether we will make the 8?

It's early days, anything can happen, there will be Rep duties, probably some injuries, but to even think there are 8 better teams than us going around is about as far from reality as it gets. :doh:

This can be our year. The only viable threats at this time are Storm, Dogs, Manly and Souths, possibly Easts if they get it in a pile, maybe Sharks if they can maintain the rage (but i doubt it). We have beaten Manly in a great tussle, and Dogs need to start the long haul back to the top.

Panthers looked pretty good yesterday, for the Panthers, but I cannot see any real concern. Souths let them run in some easy tries, which flattered the Panthers scoreline. Our defence should have stopped most of that.

karnage
25-03-13, 09:21 AM
Souths engaged the Panffers in a shoot out yesterday and it nearly brought about the undoing of the better team. If we can turn the game into a grind we will win the game comfortably. However, if we play the sort of loose football that the Rabbits were guilty of we will probably be beaten as we don't have the points in us that Souths do.

The blue print for this game was laid down against the Raiders. If we keep it tight and under control early they will not be able to match our physicality and we will steam roll them late.

Chaos
25-03-13, 09:49 AM
I know what u mean by a few minutes of panic. But the re shuffle was a bit crazy and caused most of it. Taka went off, and we moved Albert to fullback , bird to 5/8th and ridge to centre or something. It was a weird re shuffle and lucky we rallied to fight of the challenge.

I couldn't work the shufling out either...why didn't he just move a forward to centre?.
I don't why we disrupt so many positions with one injury.

DavidBouveng
25-03-13, 10:06 AM
I couldn't work the shufling out either...why didn't he just move a forward to centre?.
I don't why we disrupt so many positions with one injury.

Yeah. Taylor is almost a centre anyways. Or bird. Either of them sliding out one spot is better than 4 changes to a winning formula

TitansFan2020
25-03-13, 10:18 AM
As good as rabbitohs have been playing... i doubt they will challenge later on in the season, we look a lot better

DavidBouveng
25-03-13, 10:50 AM
As good as rabbitohs have been playing... i doubt they will challenge later on in the season, we look a lot better

As good as the rabbits have been playing... I'm pretty sure the rabbits would be filthy with how they have been playing. They are a much better side than they are showing right now and they are still 3-0 with 2 wins over likely top 8 sides.

Rabbits will fine tune and be top 2 or 3 by years end.

I think we can match them for sure, but they will prove to be a pretty super side.

Supergoose
25-03-13, 10:56 PM
Kelly should've shifted to Centre. He is our utility in case of backline injury with Srama to move to half and Falloon to play hooker. Not sure why he was pushed to fullback and I reckon Zillman would've stopped one of Manly's tries had he have been back there instead of Kelly.

TitansFan2020
25-03-13, 11:28 PM
Probably going to see a line-up like this
1. Barba
2. Gordon
3. Zillman
4. Idris
5. Mead
6. Sezer
7. Kelly
8. Douglas
9. Srama
10. James
11. Myles
12. Ridge
13. Bird

14. Bailey
15. Taylor
16. Falloon
17. O'dwyer

This is if both harrison and taka take the week off.

Looks pretty good to me, get to see how marmin goes against a sub-par team so the risk is smaller.

Still better than them at almost every position.

Titanic
25-03-13, 11:54 PM
Penrith at Penrith are hardly a sub-par team and these are the games that we need to get up for if we are to have any chance at the Eight.

Barba is no chance and if those two are out then we'll see:

1. Zillman
2. Mead
3. Idris
4. Michaels
5. Gordon
6. Sezer
7. Kelly
8. Douglas
9. Srama
10. Myles
11. Bird
12. Minichiello
13. Ridge

14. Bailey
15. James
16. Taylor
17. Falloon

old habits die hard.

teke
26-03-13, 01:13 AM
Barba is no chance

Rage
26-03-13, 07:25 AM
How about Don coming in?

TITAN PETE
26-03-13, 08:34 AM
Mead to fullback & Zillman to centre

Barba in 2014

Hail Sezer
26-03-13, 08:42 AM
Mead to fullback & Zillman to centre

Barba in 2014

Don to come in to the wing?

The Mole
26-03-13, 08:58 AM
1.ZILLMAN
2.MICHAELS/DON/GORDAN
3.GORDAN/DOWLING/HUNT
4.IDRIS
5.MEAD
6.SEZER
7.KELLY
8.DOUGLAS
9.SRAMA
10.MYLES
11.TAYLOR
12.BIRD
13.RIDGE
-----------------------
14.JAMES
15.BAILEY
16.O'DWYER
17.FALLOON
------------------------
18.MINICHIELLO

decentrix
26-03-13, 09:18 AM
Would have to assume Luke Odwyer would come into the team as centre? Considering he's been the 18th man for us so far.

TITAN PETE
26-03-13, 11:06 AM
Don to come in to the wing?

:thumbsup:

if Harro is ruled out Chalky should get a run in the 17

Chaos
26-03-13, 12:40 PM
Kelly should've shifted to Centre. He is our utility in case of backline injury with Srama to move to half and Falloon to play hooker. Not sure why he was pushed to fullback and I reckon Zillman would've stopped one of Manly's tries had he have been back there instead of Kelly.

Move Strama out of dummy half?...no way!
The more minutes he plays there, the more chance Titans have of winning.

Our whole attack this year will be based around Kelly...he needs to stay in the halves no matter what injury or position play we need to change.

teke
26-03-13, 01:04 PM
Move Strama out of dummy half?...no way!
The more minutes he plays there, the more chance Titans have of winning.

Our whole attack this year will be based around Kelly...he needs to stay in the halves no matter what injury or position play we need to change.i agree

Tamwelg
26-03-13, 01:34 PM
Round 4 team - Titans vs Panthers
Adam Gardini
Tuesday 26 March 2013 2:01 PM

iSelect Gold Coast Titans Coach John Cartwright has today named an extended 19-man squad in the build-up to Sunday’s Round 4 clash against the Penrith Panthers at Centrebet Stadium.

Lock Ashley Harrison (concussion) and centre Brad Takairangi (hamstring) have both been named to take their place in the starting side despite suffering injuries in last weekend’s win over Manly, with utility Luke O’Dwyer and centre/winger Steve Michaels included on an extended six-man bench.

If Harrison and Takairangi are both cleared to play, it will mark the fourth week in a row that the Titans have been able to field the same 17-man squad.

The Titans have won three of the seven previous clashes against the Panthers, with Penrith winning two of the three matches played on their home turf.

iSelect Titans v Penrith Panthers
Sunday, March 31
3pm (AEDT) – Centrebet Stadium

1 William Zillman
2 Kevin Gordon
3 Brad Takairangi
4 Jamal Idris
5 David Mead
6 Aidan Sezer
7 Albert Kelly
8 Luke Douglas
9 Matt Srama
10 Nate Myles
11 Greg Bird
12 Ben Ridge
13 Ashley Harrison

Interchange

14 David Taylor
15 Luke Bailey
16 Ryan James
17 Beau Falloon
18 Luke O’Dwyer
20 Steve Michaels

www.titans.com.au

teke
26-03-13, 01:42 PM
I see ya lurking SM:D

Hail Sezer
26-03-13, 01:44 PM
Michaels.

http://i.imgur.com/VKaWX.gif

Toads
26-03-13, 02:02 PM
Michaels.

:laugh: Bahahahaha.. :laugh:

Titanic
26-03-13, 03:06 PM
TOLD YA'S :( :mad: :( :mad: this is our hoodoo team

patskE
26-03-13, 03:21 PM
sigh i get so dishearten every time i see someone like micheals in the side... he has had more of a chance then anyone to grab a spot in the starting side but simply isnt n will never be a starting 13 player. we need to get the next generation a go. any other team you would see a under 20's player or someone so just moved to QRL cup given a go. shame shame shame

ozynorts
26-03-13, 03:22 PM
Unbelievable. Don't we have better options??????????

gotitans101_
26-03-13, 05:05 PM
lol Michaels, onya Carty.

C-Whiz
26-03-13, 05:33 PM
Relax peeps, Michaels isn't going to be on the bench/starting side. Carty's just putting his name in there for the lulz. ;)

Boofhead
26-03-13, 05:45 PM
Referees: Jason Robinson & Gavin Morris; Sideline Officials: Ricky MacFarlane & Chris Butler; Video Referees: Steve Chiddy & Jared Maxwell

Game over, good win Panthers.

Julius Sezer
26-03-13, 05:47 PM
Luke O'Dwyer would've been a better option at centre than Steve Michaels.

DavidBouveng
26-03-13, 07:34 PM
mmm. michaels...not a fan in general.

and while weve been here before,does he get once chance in the new team environment to see how he goes.

Smakked
26-03-13, 09:25 PM
We all know this was going to happen, Maybe he has beefed up over the off season and put on like 30Kg :|

Titanic
26-03-13, 09:30 PM
maybe he has learned how to read the play in defence ... yeah right.

DIEHARD
27-03-13, 01:17 AM
https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/575099_519952728045975_1903104611_n.jpg

C-Whiz
27-03-13, 06:00 AM
Last week when I looked at the team line-ups against each other, I thought "wow, there are some really good match-ups here", and this week I think, "Wow, we have it over them in every position".

However, I know not to underestimate the Panthers at home, out in that hot Western Sydney heat with a fanatical home crowd, as Souths found out last week.

Can still hold them to nil. :thumbsup:

TitansFan2020
27-03-13, 07:23 AM
This is a strange game... we are facing a team with the most linebreaks in the comp, which has led to scoring the 3rd most tries.

Most missed tackles in the comp so it would seem they have been facing poor defensive teams yet strong attacking teams. Luke walsh is the biggest offender so get big dave or jama to run at him from the get go. Will eventually miss a few which would lead to help-defense... pop it up for zillman and we should have an easy try since panthers also have the most linebreaks conceded.

Seems as if, if we play our defense we should win comfortably but panthers are strong on attack so you can take that for granted. Get Nate who is 3rd for hit-ups to take it hard to them and we should break through relatively easily.

My two cents :)

Titanic
27-03-13, 09:37 AM
They look pretty good on paper and when Souffs let them back in last weekend they didn't lie down either. We can expect a lot more of the same and for some reason we seem to clock-off when we go there. Expect another arm wrestle.

Dopamine
27-03-13, 09:38 AM
Arrrgh just read in the paper Micheals' a shoe in for Takairangi centre spot... I sense a few tries are coming from that side of the field from the panthers!!

Confidence for this game has sunk! Carty wtf!

C-Whiz
27-03-13, 10:18 AM
Arrrgh just read in the paper Micheals' a shoe in for Takairangi centre spot...i still don't know if this is all just a gee-up...

This is a strange game... we are facing a team with the most linebreaks in the comp, which has led to scoring the 3rd most tries.

My two cents :)yeah, a lot of good stats there, but Souths helped them look good, and they have had a few good scorelines. Makes them look better than they probably are.

They look pretty good on paper and when Souffs let them back in last weekend they didn't lie down either. We can expect a lot more of the same and for some reason we seem to clock-off when we go there. Expect another arm wrestle.Yeah, Souths gave them a sniff, and they fired up. We have to rely on the defence we have been dishing out. I see this as pretty similar to the Sharks game, without all the Sharks passion. A lot of heavy hitting early, should be a good old forward battle, nothing worse than how we dominated Manly though. Get some early points, take away their desire, defend strongly and don't give them a sniff. The crowd is the biggest concern. We can take them away with some quick points too.

An early lead, and we can be 13+. That's where my money will be. :)

TITAN PETE
27-03-13, 03:51 PM
Panthers v Titans preview

RSS
Nicholas Janzen, NRL.com Wed, Mar 27, 2013 - 4:00 PM

Panthers v Titans
Centrebet Stadium
Sunday 3pm

The NRL?s big improvers in 2013 have it all to play for on Sunday afternoon as they clash in a match that will ultimately either boost their finals credentials or have experts predicting another slide down the premiership ladder.

Last year, the Panthers and the Titans were two of the NRL?s biggest disappointments. Penrith finishing 15th and the Gold Coast 11th in a year both teams? supporters are better off forgetting? but so far this year there?s plenty of reason for optimism.

In three games this season, the Panthers have punished the Raiders, and pushed title contenders the Wests Tigers and South Sydney for most of the match. Signs are emerging that Ivan Cleary?s new-look team is developing a more determined fighting spirit in 2013.

The Titans, meanwhile, are also on the rise after their annus horribilis in 2012 that ultimately had the club in the headlines at various stages of the season for all the wrong reasons. This year, though, John Cartwright?s men look to have turned a corner on and off the field. Under the new on-field leadership of co-captains Nate Myles and Greg Bird, the Titans have emerged as arguably the competition?s title threat that no-one saw coming. With one of the NRL?s toughest forward packs, the Gold Coast have already pushed the Sharks the full 80, dominated the Raiders and stunned the Sea Eagles in just three rounds.

For the Panthers, coach Ivan Cleary has named a very similar side to the one that played South Sydney last Sunday. Cameron Ciraldo has been slated to start at lock with Nathan Smith named on a six-man bench that also includes Matt Robinson.

The Titans, meanwhile, have named both lock Ashley Harrison (concussion) and centre Brad Takairangi (hamstring) in the starting side despite suffering injuries in last weekend?s win over Manly, with utility Luke O?Dwyer and centre/winger Steve Michaels included on an extended six-man bench. If Harrison and Takairangi are both cleared to play, it will mark the fourth week in a row that the Titans have been able to field the same 17-man squad.

Watch Out Panthers: The Titans? new-look attacking department is just starting to gel ? and the signs are promising for coach Cartwright. Following the departure of long-term playmaker Scott Prince, ?Carty? handed journeyman playmaker Albert Kelly the No.7 jersey? and it?s worked a treat so far in 2013. Alongside Aidan Sezer, ?AK? is starting to weave his magic ? and opponents are starting to realise why he?s been so highly regarded. Behind a big, powerful and uncompromising forward pack, there are plenty of opportunities for Kelly and Sezer to shine ? and so far in 2013 they?ve already contributed four try assists, two line-breaks, two tries and a line-break assist. And they?re just getting started; don?t forget last week the Rabbitohs put eight tries on the Panthers ? could this be the week the Titans duo hit top gear?

Watch Out Titans: The pushover Panthers are gone. Last year Penrith lost nine matches by 14 points or more ? this year they?re a more determined, more committed and more competitive bunch and their results have supported this. They belted the Raiders in Round 1 (32-10) before a 10-point loss to the Wests Tigers and a 12-point loss to the Rabbitohs in games that could?ve ended in blowouts. Cleary has a dedicated bunch, and the likes of Sika Manu, James Segeyaro and Wes Naiqama have shown the team will be more than competitive this season. They?re an exciting bunch, too ? last week Penrith recorded 10 line-breaks against Souths, the most by any team in 2013.

Plays To Watch: James Segeyaro scheming from dummy-half ? in three games he?s already scored two tries and cracked or helped to crack the defence three times; Aidan Sezer?s lethal left foot delivering laser-like aerial opportunities for wingers David Mead and Kevin Gordon; Sika Manu chancing his arm and taking on the Titans close to their line (he?s scored three tries in as many matches for his new club in 2013? after scoring just three all last season!); Luke Walsh spinning the Steeden wide and early to give his on-song outside men attacking raids early in the set.

Key Match-Up: McKendry and Grant v Douglas and Myles. The big boppers in the middle third of the field lay the platform for their teams ? and their progress (or lack thereof) will influence what their outside men are capable of achieving in this clash. With three particularly young halves (Panther Tom Humble and Titans Sezer and Kelly), the prop-forwards battle is going to prove crucial.

So far this season Grant (116 metres per game) and McKendry (123 metres per game) have done an admirable job, but how will they fare against the experience and class of Myles (120 metres per game) and Douglas (78 metres per game)? The Titans possess a world-class forward pack, with Bailey, Bird, Harrison and Taylor other players who could wreak havoc if the Panthers? forwards don?t lay a solid foundation.

Where It Will Be Won: Defence v attack. The Titans are a gritty defensive unit while the Panthers have revealed themselves to be a free-flowing, chance-your-arm attacking unit. Scoring points hasn?t been a problem for the Panthers in 2013, crossing for a combined 82 points in their three matches. Conversely the Titans have confirmed they are a team that backs their defence to win matches. In their three matches they have kept their opposition to just 26 points.

Perhaps the make-or-break battle is on the Panthers? right side of the field ? where Wes Naiqama (eight missed tackles, third most by a centre) and David Simmons reside ? where numerous four-pointers have been created but conceded too. When the ball gets to them in attack ? or defence ? expect something to happen!

The History: Played 8; Penrith 4, Gold Coast 3, drawn 1. At Centrebet Stadium, the Panthers hold another slim advantage, winning two of the three clashes.

Match Officials: Referees ? Jason Robinson & Gavin Morris; Sideline Officials ? Ricky MacFarlane & Chris Butler; Video Referees ? Steve Chiddy & Jared Maxwell.

Televised: Channel Nine ? Delayed 4pm; Fox Sports 1 ? Delayed 6pm.

The Way We See It: The Panthers and Titans are much improved teams in 2013, but the Gold Coast are arguably in better form ? and we see that having a positive influence on their performance in this clash. With a bigger, better and more aggressive forward pack, expect their confident young halves to shine once again. The tighter the contest the more likely a Gold Coast victory is, too. They?re proving quality grafters. Titans by six points.

*Statistics: NRL Stats

TITAN PETE
28-03-13, 08:27 AM
Humble Panther praises Titans halves
By Russell Jackson
AAP
Thu 28th March, 8:32am

Penrith five-eighth Tom Humble believes there's a touch of Manly's young premiership-winning halves combo in the way Albert Kelly and Aidan Sezer have resurrected the impressive Gold Coast this NRL season.

Daly Cherry-Evans and Kieran Foran were the NRL's youngest halves combination when they came together to lead the Sea Eagles to the 2011 premiership, shocking those who felt inexperience would hold them back.

Sezer and Kelly started this season having never played an NRL game together and with just 32 combined matches to their name, but have shown over the opening three rounds they have the potential to carry the Titans back to the finals for the first time since 2010.

That belief culminated in an impressive 16-14 win over the Sea Eagles last round to confirm the Titans as genuine finals hopefuls.

"They are a bit the same as Manly when Cherry-Evans and Foran first played together," Humble told AAP.

"They both had a lot of energy and the older guys fed off their energy and that's probably where the Titans are at right now.

"It's a good formula but we've got a few young blokes too and some good older players and we're ready for whatever comes our way."

But Humble has warned the Titans they won't have it all their own way, saying Penrith have their own spark in dynamic replacement hooker James Segeyaro.

The 24-year-old former Parramatta and Wests Tigers playmaker Humble made his Panthers' debut in last Sunday's 44-32 loss to South Sydney and credited Segeyaro with helping to launch a second half revival which gave the Rabbitohs a scare.

Penrith trailed Souths 34-16 at halftime before getting within two points with just under 10 minutes remaining.

"He's (Segeyaro) one of those young players who brings that energy to the team and that energy is just a spark and he sparks everyone else," Humble said.

"He's a momentum changer and it's always in your favour."

Humble says the Panthers will go into the clash with their spirits high after getting so close to Souths late in the match.

"We'll definitely gain some confidence from pushing them a little bit," he said.

"We just need the belief to be there for 80 minutes and we'll be right because when we were scoring those points in the second half the belief was certainly there."

DIEHARD
28-03-13, 08:41 AM
I have a good feeling about this game. I think our defence will carry the day.

DIEHARD
28-03-13, 08:43 AM
Penrith Panthers v Gold Coast Titans

Centrebet Stadium, Penrith, Sunday 3pm (AEDT)

Last meeting: Round 25 2012 - Panthers 36 bt Titans 22 at Centrebet Stadium
Head-to-head: Panthers 4 Titans 3
Referees: Jason Robinson, Gavin Morris
TV: Delay, Channel 9
TAB Sportsbet: Titans $1.65 Panthers $2.30
FootyTab: Panthers +3.5

AAP writes: Gold Coast have been quietly but efficiently going about their business with two wins from their opening three games. However, their record on the road hasn't been great in recent years, and they face a Penrith side that are always competitive at home.

Ivan Cleary's team were gallant in defeat to South Sydney last week and will fancy their chances.

However, the loss of Lachlan Coote for the year robs them of some class in the halves.

Key: Young five-eighth Aidan Sezer has been a revelation for the Titans since moving from the Bulldogs and, along with halfback Albert Kelly, has given John Cartwright a combination that could serve the club well for the future. However, Penrith's huge pack will be a real test for the pair.

PANTHERS: Dean Whare, Josh Mansour, Wes Naiqama, Brad Tighe, David Simmons, Tom Humble, Luke Walsh, Sam McKendry, Kevin Kingston (capt), Tim Grant, Sika Manu, Lewis Brown, Cameron Ciraldo. Interchange: Adam Docker, Nigel Plum, James Segeyaro, Clint Newton, Nathan Smith, Matt Robinson (two to be omitted).

TITANS: William Zillman, Kevin Gordon, Brad Takairangi, Jamal Idris, David Mead, Aidan Sezer, Albert Kelly, Luke Douglas, Matt Srama, Nate Myles, Greg Bird, Ben Ridge, Ashley Harrison. Interchange: Dave Taylor, Luke Bailey, Ryan James, Beau Falloon, Luke O'Dwyer, Steve Michaels (two to be omitted).

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/league-match-preview/penrith-panthers-v-gold-coast-titans-20130327-2guge.html#ixzz2Omaz7YsY

DIEHARD
28-03-13, 08:44 AM
Michaels out to prove NRL worth to Titans

There's no guarantee he'll play but Gold Coast utility back Steve Michaels says he's ready to tackle Penrith on Sunday.

Michaels, a regular for the Titans in the past two NRL seasons, has found himself left out of all three fixtures so far this year as recruit Brad Takairangi and star Jamal Idris take up the centre's roles.

But Takairangi is battling a hamstring injury ahead of this weekend's trip to the Panthers and Michaels has been placed on standby for the former Sydney Rooster.

Given the Titans have kept a largely settled line-up in their two-win, one-loss start to the season, the former Brisbane player knows he'll have to impress if he does get an opportunity.

"I've got to wait and see how Brad's fitness is but, if I get the call-up, I'm ready to play," Michaels told reporters on Wednesday.

"I'm really keen to get my first run for the year with the boys."

Missing out has been frustrating for Michaels, who has made 40 appearances in the past two seasons for the Titans, but he said coach John Cartwright has kept him in the loop about his situation.

"Carty's been good. He's kept talking to me and letting me know that it doesn't take much for me to get a call-up," he said.

"If one guy goes down, I'll be in there. Hopefully this weekend, I get a call-up."

Being on the sidelines has at least given the 26-year-old a chance to witness his team's impressive start to the year, including a hard-earned 16-14 win over Manly last weekend.

"I was at the game and there was such a good feeling within the team when they got the win over Manly because they're such a tough team but it doesn't mean much if we don't win this week and get some momentum," he said.

"I see Penrith as a real danger game and they put a fair amount of points on Souths last week so we'll be wary of that."

http://wwos.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=8633380

DIEHARD
28-03-13, 08:45 AM
I'd really like to see Taka out there on the field and fit. He has impressed me so far this year.

K2G
28-03-13, 09:28 AM
Titans rule Harrison out with concussion

Gold Coast forward Ashley Harrison will miss Sunday's NRL clash with Penrith after failing to sufficiently recover from a concussion suffered last week.

Harrison was taken from the field on a stretcher in last week's 16-14 victory over Manly after being left heavily concussed by a late shoulder from Sea Eagles prop Richie Fa'aoso.

Fa'aoso was handed a grade-three dangerous contact charge which was downgraded at a judiciary hearing on Wednesday night.

Now it appears both players will miss just the one week, with the Titans hopeful Queensland Origin representative Harrison will return for their round five clash against Brisbane.

Utility forward Luke O'Dwyer comes into the team in place of Harrison

http://wwos.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=8633738

TITAN PETE
28-03-13, 09:42 AM
I don't think we lose much with Chalky replacing Harro , he will hold his own & will be out to impress as will Michaels if Taka fails his fitness test.

I'm confident if we can hold the ruck with our defence we'll win it well.

Titanic
28-03-13, 09:45 AM
O'Dwyer for Harrison is ok (just) and no matter what we think about Michaels Takairangi needs to fix that injury rather than jeopardize the season.

K2G
28-03-13, 10:03 AM
Safe to assume Ridge will move to lock and Chalky into the back row? I think Taylor coming off the bench is the right move at this stage of the season...

Agree that Taka needs to be no less than 100% before he returns, but i still can't believe Michaels is the first cab of the rank to replace a back-line injury, especially after we trialled so many exciting young players.

Makes you feel for young guys like Hunt and Russell who are killing it in nyc ... but are stuck behind players that are getting picked because of this safety first, runs on the board mentality. Look at the top 3 coaches in the comp and consider how many young guns they have debuted early in the season.

Regardless, I'm looking forward to a great win this weekend, and will back mead or KG to bag a double.

hatchy84
28-03-13, 10:52 AM
Myles to lock James to start

gothabull
28-03-13, 10:59 AM
I think michaels will be hungry and I hope he goes well we need the win we can't afford to lose matches like this through complacency or bad positional changes looking at who we have in the draw we could really string some wins together I think

gothabull
28-03-13, 11:00 AM
I mean if taka doesn't play hope he does

TITAN PETE
28-03-13, 11:21 AM
Mark Minichiello set for Titans recall
Travis Meyn | 08:03am March 28, 2013

FORGOTTEN Titans forward Mark Minichiello is in line for an NRL return with prop Luke Bailey in serious doubt of missing Sunday's clash against Penrith.

Bailey is battling a calf strain but the nagging nature of the injury has Titans medical staff worried he will have to sit out against the Panthers.

The veteran, 33, missed Tuesday's field training session with the problem and is racing to be fit as he continues his comeback from achilles surgery.

The Titans are lacking experienced front rowers after Matt White suffered a season-ending knee injury in the first pre-season trial and the club's other two contracted props in the lower grades are Mark Ioane and Luke Page, who are yet to make their NRL debuts and will play for Burleigh tonight.

It means Bailey's possible absence could open the door for 220-gamer Minichiello to return to first grade after he was relegated to the Intrust Super Cup.

"He would be (ready to go). "He's a professional," White said of Minichiello at the Titans Learning Centre at Coomera Rivers State School. "Hopefully he gets a run. It's not good to see blokes injured but if he gets a run he'll step up and play well like he always does.

"He's played there (front row) a couple of times and can bring that impact off the bench.

"He can play anywhere in the forward pack."

Minichiello has spent the past two weeks playing for Tweed Heads after he was sensationally overlooked by coach John Cartwright for the first three rounds of the NRL.

The foundation forward has been dominating at the lower level but is stuck behind Luke O'Dwyer as next cab off the rank in the back row.

O'Dwyer is on standby for Ashley Harrison (concussion) but Minichiello could force his way on to the bench for the Titans if Cartwright opts to use him as a tight forward to play in the middle of the field.

Cartwright could also use Dave Taylor sparingly in the front row, as he did when in the latter stages of the Gold Coast's memorable 36-0 thrashing of Canberra.

Page and Ioane were strong for Burleigh last Sunday but Cartwright knows that he can call upon Minichiello's experience to get the job done. Minichiello has the frame of a front rower and could be useful cover off the bench.

DIEHARD
29-03-13, 07:34 PM
Srama eager for battle of nines

iSelect Gold Coast Titans hooker Matt Srama is looking forward to the battle of the Number 9s when he comes up against dynamic Penrith hookers Kevin Kingston and James Segeyaro at Centrebet Stadium on Sunday.

Srama rates the Penrith hooking duo as two of the best in the business, with Sunday’s clash to provide a stern test for he and in-form Titans hooking partner Beau Falloon.

“I follow most of the hookers and they’re probably two of the best in James (Segeyaro) and Kevin Kingston,’’ said Srama.

“They’re really high class players and I’ve got a lot of respect for them so hopefully Beau and I can get the wood on them and play to our potential.

“Penrith are going strongly this year. They came back really well against the Rabbitohs – they’ve got a lot of attacking strike and have a lot of size in the middle so we’re going to have to be on our A game and prepare really well.’’

Srama and Falloon have enjoyed a strong start to the year themselves, with the duo providing an effective one-two punch over the 80 minutes during the opening three rounds of 2013.

Srama said he was also enjoying working closely with the club’s new halves pairing of Albert Kelly and Aidan Sezer, with those results on display in consecutive wins over Canberra and Manly.

“It’s been really good. I’m enjoying playing alongside Aidan and Albert, they’ve come a long way and they’re only still 21 and 22 years of age so there’s a lot of enthusiasm with their youth so it’s a really good balance across our team,’’ he said.

The Titans have enjoyed the luxury of fielding the same 17-man squad for their opening three clashes but have had to make some adjustments ahead of the Penrith clash, with both Ashley Harrison (concussion) and Brad Takairangi (hamstring) ruled out through injury.

However, Srama said the Titans’ depth was strong enough to counter for their absence with experienced pair Luke O’Dwyer and Steve Michaels promoted to the 17-man squad.

“That’s probably the best thing about our squad this year, the depth we’ve got,’’ he said.

“If someone gets injured we know we’ve got a high class player coming into the squad. It’s a great headache for Cartwright to have.’’

http://www.titans.com.au/

DIEHARD
29-03-13, 07:37 PM
Zillman prepared for Panthers test

CLICK TO VIEW VIDEO (http://www.titans.com.au/news-display/titans/71138)

iSelect Titans Vice-Captain, Will Zillman says the Titans need to continue the defence that has won them plaudits through the opening three rounds of the season, when they meet a Panthers on Sunday.

The Panthers have scored have scored 82 points in three games so far this season, and Zillman expects another tough encounter with memories of last years finals ending loss to Penrith in the corresponding game last season still fresh.

Zillman supported the clubs decision to rule out teammate Ashley Harrison following his heavy concussion and expects Luke O?Dwyer to take his chance with both hands.

Zillman has enjoyed a strong start to the season, averaging 144m a game and credits the Titans forwards for helping lay the platform.

Titans TV caught up with Zillman following training, to view the video simply press play in the viewer above.

Boofhead
30-03-13, 09:17 AM
Coach John Cartwright is likely to shift Nate Myles to lock in place of Harrison with O'Dwyer to come off the bench.

http://www.goldcoast.com.au/article/2013/03/30/449539_gold-coast-titans.html

No brainer.

TITAN PETE
30-03-13, 11:20 AM
Great to see Bails is right to play :thumbsup:

Boofhead
30-03-13, 11:52 AM
Bailey gives Titans boost for Penrith
Adam Gardini | Saturday 30 March 2013 11:13 AM

The iSelect Gold Coast Titans have today been given a boost ahead of tomorrow?s clash against Penrith at Centrebet Stadium, with prop Luke Bailey cleared to play after overcoming a calf complaint.

Bailey was restricted to light training throughout the week after suffering a calf injury in last week?s win over Manly but was this morning given the all clear to take on the Panthers after completing training with the Titans squad at Skilled Park.

?Yeah he got through that ok, he?s had a bit of a light week,?? said Coach John Cartwright.

?He had a bit of a calf problem but he got through that 100 per cent so he?ll take his place.??

The news is a welcomed boost for the Titans, having already lost two players ? Ashley Harrison (concussion) and Brad Takairangi (hamstring) ? in the build-up to tomorrow?s clash.

However, Cartwright said it was a luxury to be able to call upon two experienced campaigners Luke O?Dwyer and Steve Michaels to fill the void.
The match will mark Michaels' milestone 50th match for the Titans.

?That?s what your depth is all about. Those guys have played 100 plus games and they?re real pros so we?re fortunate that we can call on those guys,?? he said.

?Hopefully the guys that are out aren?t out for too long but we?ve got two great replacements there.??

Cartwright said Harrison had been physically fine after suffering a concussion against Manly but was ruled out as a precaution.

?He?s fine, I suppose it?s more precautionary than anything, the decision comes down to the medical people and they?ve decided that it?s in the best interest of ?Harro? to have the week off,?? he said.

The Titans head to Penrith on the back of consecutive wins over Canberra (36-0) and Manly (16-14), while Penrith have shown some encouraging signs in recent losses to the Rabbitohs (44-32) and Wests Tigers (28-18).

Cartwright said he was wary of a Penrith side he believes can improve on their opening three matches and can score plenty of points if given opportunities.

?I think there?s plenty of improvement in them. There?s a lot of new guys at the club and when you get that, they?re all out to impress,?? said Cartwright.

?The young hooker (James Segeyaro) is doing really well, they?ve got two good front rowers so the foundations for the game are there.

?We?ve really got to work hard on keeping them down in there end because if they get some decent ball, they?re pretty hard to hold out.??

iSelect Titans v Penrith Panthers
Sunday, March 31 | 3pm (AEDT) ? Centrebet Stadium

1. William Zillman
2. Kevin Gordon
20. Steve Michaels
4. Jamal Idris
5. David Mead
6. Aidan Sezer
7. Albert Kelly
8. Luke Douglas
9. Matt Srama
10. Nate Myles
11. Greg Bird
12. Ben Ridge
18. Luke O?Dwyer

14. David Taylor
15. Luke Bailey
16. Ryan James
17. Beau Falloon

http://www.titans.com.au/news-display/titans/71208

Hail Sezer
30-03-13, 12:03 PM
I'm sorry but seeing Michaels name in their really pisses me off. The Broncos gave young Jordan Kahu a crack last night and he held his own fine. I don't see why Carty continues to give Michaels the spot.

Can someone please explain why Don, who obviously impressed in the trials to the extent that he started in them all, has been overlooked for Michaels?

There was the opportunity for Mead to go to fullback, Zillman to left centre and Don to wing. OR Gordon to come in to centre and Don to wing. These were the options that were experimented with and appeared to be successful in the trials.

Maybe I'm overreacting, but it's one of the things that frustrates me the most.

/rant.

Toads
30-03-13, 12:09 PM
Oh well, Mate. At least you know who they're gunna direct the high ball too..

Titanic
30-03-13, 01:05 PM
Oh well, Mate. At least you know who they're gunna direct the high ball too..
And where they'll run their edge running big forwards ... we have debated this exact issue for years now ... why we don't replace specialist with specialists just amazes me ... Hymel Hunt would be my choice after Takairangi.

Gordon hasn't shown enough this season or last to warrant a 'promotion' and is in danger from Don. If Zillman is to be replaced then he should not just be 'accommodated' in the team ... he is not a left centre except by accident last season.

Mansour will give Mead a real handful and that battle itself will be worth the price of admission.

Hail Sezer
30-03-13, 01:25 PM
And where they'll run their edge running big forwards ... we have debated this exact issue for years now ... why we don't replace specialist with specialists just amazes me ... Hymel Hunt would be my choice after Takairangi.

Gordon hasn't shown enough this season or last to warrant a 'promotion' and is in danger from Don. If Zillman is to be replaced then he should not just be 'accommodated' in the team ... he is not a left centre except by accident last season.

Mansour will give Mead a real handful and that battle itself will be worth the price of admission.

Hymel needs to be in the future plans of the club. I hadn't seen much of him, and then I saw his game vs Manly last weekend. Absolutely dominated.

Agree.

Mansour is an animal. Mead will appreciate having Idris there to handle him because Mansour makes a lot of tackle busts. Not saying Mead doesnt have strong defence, but we all know what Mansour can do.

Not really the right thread but I think (hope) 2014 will be the year of blooding youngsters. There is a group of them coming through the ranks who will all be pushing for first grade debuts. Players I have in mind are Hymel Hunt, Sam Irwin, Matt Russell and Marmin Barba. Let's hope we give them a chance and don't lose them.

gotitans101_
30-03-13, 02:46 PM
We are gonna get hammered on that left side through Gordon and Michaels.

mup23
30-03-13, 03:34 PM
I'm sorry but seeing Michaels name in their really pisses me off. The Broncos gave young Jordan Kahu a crack last night and he held his own fine. I don't see why Carty continues to give Michaels the spot.

Can someone please explain why Don, who obviously impressed in the trials to the extent that he started in them all, has been overlooked for Michaels?

There was the opportunity for Mead to go to fullback, Zillman to left centre and Don to wing. OR Gordon to come in to centre and Don to wing. These were the options that were experimented with and appeared to be successful in the trials.

Maybe I'm overreacting, but it's one of the things that frustrates me the most.

/rant.

Hopefully Carty will take some inspiration from that... Kahu wasn't named until the last minute

teke
31-03-13, 04:19 AM
Hymel needs to be in the future plans of the club. I hadn't seen much of him, and then I saw his game vs Manly last weekend. Absolutely dominated.

Agree.

Mansour is an animal. Mead will appreciate having Idris there to handle him because Mansour makes a lot of tackle busts. Not saying Mead doesnt have strong defence, but we all know what Mansour can do.

Not really the right thread but I think (hope) 2014 will be the year of blooding youngsters. There is a group of them coming through the ranks who will all be pushing for first grade debuts. Players I have in mind are Hymel Hunt, Sam Irwin, Matt Russell and Marmin Barba. Let's hope we give them a chance and don't lose them.mansour hasn't got anything more than what vatuvei, fanua or utai has got...they are all gonna get smoked :D

Julius Sezer
31-03-13, 08:22 AM
We have to look to score as many points as possible.

Boofhead
31-03-13, 08:36 AM
Game day - cant wait to watch this on delay! Radio + Fox sports replay for me!

Hard one to tip this - Think someone mentioned before, Panthers are definitely one of our bogey teams. The lads must let their guard down as their roster is very average...

thelwall
31-03-13, 10:53 AM
COME ON TITANS - ****nal got up last night lets make this a perfect weekend

Boofhead
31-03-13, 11:29 AM
COME ON TITANS - ****nal got up last night lets make this a perfect weekend

I would take another 4-1 for sure. ;)

Hail Sezer
31-03-13, 12:12 PM
Titans winger Jared Teo scores for the Under-20s and Sam Harrold converts. It's 6-all after 25 mins.

Hail Sezer
31-03-13, 12:43 PM
Mitch Ardler hits back for the Titans u20s and Sam Harrold converts from our wide to level the scores at 12-all after 37 mins

Still 12 all at halftime

Hail Sezer
31-03-13, 01:03 PM
Panthers up 18-12

Hail Sezer
31-03-13, 01:05 PM
Penrith now up 24-12

Hail Sezer
31-03-13, 01:19 PM
40-12...ill stop updating lol

Titanic
31-03-13, 01:45 PM
spoilers ok on this game?

Titanic
31-03-13, 02:04 PM
here we go lads ... I will be sharing the posts with several of our more literate fans as the bbq fires-up here ... I will have to every now and then head for the fridge, the bbq and the loo.

Hail Sezer
31-03-13, 02:09 PM
I knew O'Dwyer would give away the first penalty..

Titanic
31-03-13, 02:13 PM
mansour owning our right side defence

gotitans101_
31-03-13, 02:17 PM
Mead = awesome.

Titanic
mead squares it up :-)

Hail Sezer
We look dead

EDIT: Mead is a beast

Hail Sezer
31-03-13, 02:18 PM
YES MEADY!!

We just scored from a set piece..omg

gotitans101_
31-03-13, 02:18 PM
Mead in! :D

Titanic
31-03-13, 02:19 PM
that's what happens when Idris gets space ... good try

Hail Sezer
31-03-13, 02:20 PM
Good kick Sezer

gotitans101_
31-03-13, 02:26 PM
Try saver Birdy

Titanic
zillman was exposed there badly

Hail Sezer
We've been caught out on that right so many times

Hail Sezer
31-03-13, 02:36 PM
Did that just happen? Bird is unbelievably good.

Foot on the throat, they're tiring

Titanic
the Bird man

gotitans101_
Sezer's kicking game is killing them, looks dangerous when he runs it too.

Titanic
31-03-13, 02:41 PM
zillman always over runs the inside ball ... useless

Titanic
31-03-13, 02:48 PM
lucky to hold them ... a better team would have scored ... HT 12-0

Hail Sezer
31-03-13, 02:48 PM
Their touch footy is killing us. Hopefully we suss out how to defend it before the warriors and tigers games.

Titanic
31-03-13, 02:49 PM
how about before the Donkeys game?

Hail Sezer
31-03-13, 02:51 PM
how about before the Donkeys game?

That...that would be much preferred.

Titanic
31-03-13, 03:05 PM
anybody doubt that we cannot defend bombs on the left side ... we need height and size out there.

Hail Sezer
31-03-13, 03:08 PM
Excellent kick from the playmaking fullback in Zillman

gotitans101_
31-03-13, 03:12 PM
Gordon / Michaels side getting hammered as expected.

Hail Sezer
31-03-13, 03:15 PM
Zillman drops it. Carty nervous.

Mead having a blinder thus far

Titanic
31-03-13, 03:25 PM
Michaels ... what a great player ... lol

Titanic
31-03-13, 03:28 PM
intercept and our fast men exposed ... Bailey should never pass

Hail Sezer
31-03-13, 03:31 PM
Any other player would have picked that up.

Michaels..ffs

gotitans101_
31-03-13, 03:32 PM
lol Michaels is unco.

Hail Sezer
31-03-13, 03:34 PM
lol Michaels is unco.

Hahahah he actually fell over the ball. If he could've just tapped it down field..

Titanic
31-03-13, 03:37 PM
we were lucky there and I have to say that there are 4 wingers on the field and we have numbers 2 and 4

Titanic
31-03-13, 03:39 PM
ok lads I won't say anything about Zillman and his catching ability

Titanic
31-03-13, 03:41 PM
and Gordon says "take that Titanic you goose"

Hail Sezer
Well that try brought back memories of KG.

Still has his flash.

Coaster
we were lucky there and I have to say that there are 4 wingers on the field and we have numbers 2 and 4

wow harsh critic.

Hail Sezer
31-03-13, 03:42 PM
ok lads I won't say anything about Zillman and his catching ability

Hahahha I was just about to say something

Titanic
31-03-13, 03:46 PM
and then Gordon says "stick that up your djin"

Coaster
31-03-13, 03:48 PM
Damn losing Srama last play, wtf

gotitans101_
31-03-13, 03:48 PM
Hope Srama is ok....

Hail Sezer
31-03-13, 03:49 PM
Happy.

Standouts for me were Bird, James, Taylor (best game yet), Idris, Mead and Gordon. Oh and Srama and Falloon.

Was good to see what we could produce when we played some looser footy towards the end.

EDIT: **** just heard about Srama. Hope he is alright.

Titanic
31-03-13, 03:50 PM
Good grafting win, punctuated by some terrible lack of execution. Sorry guys but Mansour is a real talent, Mead went fine and Gordon was ordinary (particularly under the high ball) until he redeemed himself at the end playing outside the worst centre on the field.

Boofhead
31-03-13, 04:05 PM
Only being following twitter, Srama ok?

Coaster
31-03-13, 04:13 PM
Only being following twitter, Srama ok?

No official update yet.
But sounded liked dislocated shoulder on radio

Titanic
31-03-13, 04:21 PM
In the post game interview Cartwright said it was an AC problem to be assessed tomorrow. He also said that Mansour and Symonds carved us up.

Hail Sezer
31-03-13, 04:26 PM
In the post game interview Cartwright said it was an AC problem to be assessed tomorrow. He also said that Mansour and Symonds carved us up.

Mansour is good man. So dangerous.

Titanic
31-03-13, 04:27 PM
Mansour is the competition's form winger, imho. Cleary clearly blamed the refs no try decision on their 4th minute attempt for their loss and then called the interview off ... he was less than happy ... stiff bickies :)

DavidBouveng
31-03-13, 05:53 PM
Mansour is very good. I still think uate and Jorge Tafua are in better form this year, but he is going to breakout this year and if had better team around him he would be a superstar.

For example, imagine him on the end if the rabbits or bulldogs backline.

DavidBouveng
31-03-13, 05:56 PM
The play that delivered meads try is exactly what I e been waiting for and saw a bit in the trials. Has Sezer and Kelly combining in lieu of a skillful fullback and hitting Jamal early enough to commit 2 defenders.

If mansour didn't commit and leave meady open, then Jamal keeps it and steamrolls someone one on one.

If we use it with timing and depth, we can go to that well many times. Broncos almost defeated the mighty storm with that single play.

Other than that, a good defensive effort if course, but a win that wasn't quote as convincing as previous weeks, but just being able to win when not at our best is a decent indicator that we have made real progress.

teke
31-03-13, 06:04 PM
Good grafting win, punctuated by some terrible lack of execution. Sorry guys but Mansour is a real talent, Mead went fine and Gordon was ordinary (particularly under the high ball) until he redeemed himself at the end playing outside the worst centre on the field.
I don't know what u see in Mansour except for his strong running. He was ordinary on everything else and it wasn't him owning the right side defence in the first half, the gaps opened up from the inside out.

Bird and Falloon were the best on field

teke
31-03-13, 06:17 PM
wow harsh critic.:laugh: at him rating Simmons above kev in that game.

Mansour was all over the place in defence and couldn't catch a cold

hammer
31-03-13, 06:18 PM
Listened to it on ABC radio and it sounded like the Titans performance was very scratchy despite the win...after watching it on TV I thought it was pretty good performance against a team that was not far off scoring a stack of points. Our scrambling defence was terrific particularly Greg Bird and Zillman. I was particularly impressed we scored some late points and like so many teams have done to us in the past two years. We stayed in the battle and came home strong!
There is much to gain and much to learn from this performance and hopefully with a good recovery (fingers and toes crossed for Srama) that we are pumped and ready for the Broncos.
We have the short turn around and of course the Broncos have their usual Friday night match therefore have the advantage recovery-wise.

teke
31-03-13, 06:22 PM
I think this game went exactly the way I Thought it would.

A win was a good result and like u said the scrambling defence was good

C-Whiz
31-03-13, 06:23 PM
Glad we weren't playing the Broncos on Friday night with this performance. We will need to be better on Friday night!

I don't know where to start with this game, except to say i cannot remember so many hot and cold/rocks and diamond performances within 1 team.

Panthers forgot how to score in the first half, should have been going to the sheds with a tied scoreline, except Panthers were abysmal! If the sound was turned down I would have sworn the ref had stopped the game at several points when they were 10 metres out from our line.

I took Titans at 13+ but I think we were lucky for most of the game and flattered ourselves late. Don't get too excited on this win, but a win is a win.

We need to be much better in 5 days.

Coaster
31-03-13, 06:26 PM
These games we lost in the past. And we put them to the sword late.
Only 2 tries against us. One from an intercept. So I'm happy.

Have we ever had a for and against as high as we do right now?

teke
31-03-13, 06:28 PM
These games we lost in the past. And we put them to the sword late.
Only 2 tries against us. One from an intercept. So I'm happy.

Have we ever had a for and against as high as we do right now?exactly, we would have been pumped in the past and last yr we were.

Rabbits had 20 put on them last week from this team.

Man Falloon was good

Coaster
31-03-13, 06:30 PM
exactly, we would have been pumped in the past and last yr we were.

Rabbits had 20 put on them last week from this team.

Man Falloon was good

Birdy carving him on twitter. Calling him Disco Stu.

hammer
31-03-13, 06:32 PM
In my opinion making Myes and Bird co-captains is an absolute master-stroke! There is a never-say die attitude building in this team and our defence stats show this...what is particularly impressive to me it's not just that we are only leaking on average under 10 points a game but we are bruising sides with our defence.

Coaster
31-03-13, 06:35 PM
In my opinion making Myes and Bird co-captains is an absolute master-stroke! There is a never-say die attitude building in this team and our defence stats show this...what is particularly impressive to me it's not just that we are only leaking on average under 10 points a game but we are bruising sides with our defence.

Going to make a great Origin picture too

hammer
31-03-13, 06:37 PM
Going to make a great Origin picture too

Agree Coaster!

Coaster
31-03-13, 06:39 PM
Agree Coaster!

Specially considering we own the border. It's cleaver thinking really. Wonder if it was by design.

teke
31-03-13, 06:41 PM
I don't think Bailey has quite accepted he is not the captain

hammer
31-03-13, 06:41 PM
Coaster we could just settle it with a one-on-one tug-of-war with Birdy on one side of the border and Myles on the other.

Just for the record I'm backing Myles in this battle!

Toads
31-03-13, 06:44 PM
Falloon definitely did take it up another notch or two this week. It's good to know we got him up our sleeve, if in case Srama is out for a period of time..

Considering how it looked on paper. Our left side did stand up better than expected. Bring on the Donkey's, lookin' forward to seeing us holding them outside of the Top 8. :fight:

P.S. Better pad those forearms up a little more for this one, Princey. :D

C-Whiz
31-03-13, 06:44 PM
I don't think Bailey has quite accepted he is not the captain:laugh: So true.

Coaster
31-03-13, 06:46 PM
:laugh: So true.

He loves the quick tap. Haha
Costs us 30+ meters each time but I love it

C-Whiz
31-03-13, 06:50 PM
He loves the quick tap. Haha
Costs us 30+ meters each time but I love it
And helping the ref make some decisions.
Best ever was when he was pointing to the sticks for a 10 point lead! :doh: :laugh: :D :thumbsup:

TITAN PETE
31-03-13, 07:09 PM
That was a good tough win but I'm curious to know if Rat Rogers has been secretly coaching Bails & Douglas as they both thought they were playing 5/8 at different stages but it maybe they are watching the Worlds Biggest 5/8 putting in chips behind the line & thinking they should get in on the act :rolleyes:

Don't fret about Michaels he was keeping the centre spot warm , Taka will Definatly be playing Friday night :thumbsup:

Thought James,Kelly,Idris & Sezar were just behind Birdy for best on the park but as Toads said Falloon is getting better each week & it's more than likely he will be wearing the 9 next week with Srama copping an injury to his shoulder on his last pass of the game :nope:

hammer
31-03-13, 07:12 PM
It would be a shame if we lose Srama for the match against the Broncos as the Srama/Falloon double act is great foil for our big BOPPERS!

Titanic
31-03-13, 07:32 PM
Another look at this game without the emotion of the win will change a few opinions I think ... we won and that's great but gee we were far from convincing against a lower ranked team.

teke
31-03-13, 07:36 PM
Another look at this game without the emotion of the win will change a few opinions I think ... we won and that's great but gee we were far from convincing against a lower ranked team.
I don't think anyone thought we played that good to be honest. I thought they could have rolled us in the 2 nd half.

a flash of gordon
31-03-13, 07:43 PM
Good to see us get the 2 points this week. Kevin Gordon certainly has not lost his flash. We are a much better team when he is on the field. Let's hope Matt's injury is not to serious.

teke
31-03-13, 07:55 PM
Good to see us get the 2 points this week. Kevin Gordon certainly has not lost his flash. We are a much better team when he is on the field. Let's hope Matt's injury is not to serious.how many times can a ball fall on the ground and he just swoops in and runs 100, then the ball just dribbles along the ground horribly for Michaels and he makes a meal of it :laugh:

Smakked
31-03-13, 07:59 PM
Good win but scrappy and alot of errors, highlight for me was Birds try LOL. No defense what so ever form the black cats. Bird keeps getting better every game, i have been impressed with his form.

TITAN PETE
31-03-13, 07:59 PM
Titans go three straight in Penrith
Adam Gardini
Sunday 31 March 2013 6:08 PM

The iSelect Gold Coast Titans have regitered their third straight win with a 28-10 victory over Penrith at Centrebet Stadium today.

Built on another strong defensive effort, the Titans held the Panthers scoreless for the opening 40 minutes to lead 12-0 at halftime before going on with the job in the second half.

The Panthers did launch a second half fightback and got to within eight points of the Titans but were unable to convert their scoring opportunities into points as the Titans defence held strong time and time again.

The home side scored two tries through Wes Naiqama and Tom Humble, the latter coming off an 80m runaway intercept try against the run of play.

Two late tries to Titans winger Kevin Gordon sealed the victory and extended the final winining marging out to 18 points.

The victory gave the Titans three straight wins heading into Friday night's local derby blockbuster against the Brisbane Broncos at Skilled Park.

The Titans opened the scoring through tries to Greg Bird and David Mead, with Aidan Sezer nailing both conversions to give the visitors a 12-0 halftime lead.

The Panthers hit back through Naiqama to reduce the margin to 12-4 but Titans centre Steve Michaels gave the Gold Coasters some breathing space with a try in his 50th game for the club.

However, the home side refused to go away and launched a fightback when Humble scored an intercept try against the run of play.

Gordon's two tries at the death though but the nail in the coffin to mark the club's first win on the road so far in 2013.

GOLD COAST TITANS 28 (K Gordon 2, G Bird, D Mead, S Michaels tries; A Sezer 4 goals) defeated PENRITH PANTHERS 10 (W Naiqama, T Humbles tries; W Naiqama goal).

a flash of gordon
31-03-13, 08:10 PM
I would not swap our wingers for any others in the competition. Every player makes mistakes after all they are only human.
2013 Year of The Titans

Geeman
31-03-13, 08:20 PM
I think the amount of offloading by the panthers made it look alot scrappier, and the defensive effort was still there to keep them to 10. All in all a good result IMO.

Mexican titan
31-03-13, 08:56 PM

Comments like these (and I agree with you) show just how much we have come this season. Can anyone honestly think these sort of comments would have been made after any win last year. Last year we would have copped any win, particularly by 18 points, and not cared how the team played.
This year our expectations are higher but I reckon it is a good sign that a team plays badly and wins well. Premierships are not won in March.
I also think the guys might have had an eye on the Broncos game next week.

DavidBouveng
31-03-13, 08:59 PM
If srama is our for a period, I'm really glad we have had falloon in the team.

He's been building each week and was arguably MOM today, and him wearing the 9 will just be a matter of him playing 80 minutes.

The team are also more familiar with his play having played 4 games straight together...

I hope srama is back soon as possible, but its not the death blow it might have been in the past.

Chalky to be bench utility? Or go with 4 mega forwards and bring mini in?

Chaos
31-03-13, 09:09 PM
Chalky to be bench utility? Or go with 4 mega forwards and bring mini in?

I can't believe Chalky is ahead of Mini in the first place.
I only saw a small amount of the game and saw O'Dwyer give away two penalties.

teke
31-03-13, 09:13 PM
I can't believe Chalky is ahead of Mini in the first place.
I only saw a small amount of the game and saw O'Dwyer give away two penalties.same, I don't think he got many minutes though

DavidBouveng
31-03-13, 09:21 PM
It's not about being ahead or not, it's about what carty wants. He might want pure size, but I think he will go for a utility to cover a few spots.

Not saying I agree with that though...

teke
31-03-13, 09:24 PM
4 games in and Taylor is solid as. Getting the metres, intimidating his opponents and basically no errors/penalties

hatchy84
31-03-13, 09:29 PM
Does anyone know what's wrong with srama

Coaster
31-03-13, 09:33 PM
Does anyone know what's wrong with srama
unconfirmed reports it is just a scare. A burner

hatchy84
31-03-13, 10:04 PM
End of 2011 when Ben Ross said falloon was better than Isaac Luke I was excited last year did nothing but this year living up to that with me. MOM in my opinion today he was fantastic only great teams can play poor and win I think we did that today exciting times ahead looking forward to bird Myles or Jamal to smash prince next week bet the cat doesn't even run at the line

TITAN FAN
31-03-13, 10:06 PM
Srama eager for battle of nines

iSelect Gold Coast Titans hooker Matt Srama is looking forward to the battle of the Number 9s when he comes up against dynamic Penrith hookers Kevin Kingston and James Segeyaro at Centrebet Stadium on Sunday.

Srama rates the Penrith hooking duo as two of the best in the business, with Sunday?s clash to provide a stern test for he and in-form Titans hooking partner Beau Falloon.

?I follow most of the hookers and they?re probably two of the best in James (Segeyaro) and Kevin Kingston,?? said Srama.

?They?re really high class players and I?ve got a lot of respect for them so hopefully Beau and I can get the wood on them and play to our potential.

?Penrith are going strongly this year. They came back really well against the Rabbitohs ? they?ve got a lot of attacking strike and have a lot of size in the middle so we?re going to have to be on our A game and prepare really well.??

Srama and Falloon have enjoyed a strong start to the year themselves, with the duo providing an effective one-two punch over the 80 minutes during the opening three rounds of 2013.

Srama said he was also enjoying working closely with the club?s new halves pairing of Albert Kelly and Aidan Sezer, with those results on display in consecutive wins over Canberra and Manly.

?It?s been really good. I?m enjoying playing alongside Aidan and Albert, they?ve come a long way and they?re only still 21 and 22 years of age so there?s a lot of enthusiasm with their youth so it?s a really good balance across our team,?? he said.

The Titans have enjoyed the luxury of fielding the same 17-man squad for their opening three clashes but have had to make some adjustments ahead of the Penrith clash, with both Ashley Harrison (concussion) and Brad Takairangi (hamstring) ruled out through injury.

However, Srama said the Titans? depth was strong enough to counter for their absence with experienced pair Luke O?Dwyer and Steve Michaels promoted to the 17-man squad.

?That?s probably the best thing about our squad this year, the depth we?ve got,?? he said.

?If someone gets injured we know we?ve got a high class player coming into the squad. It?s a great headache for Cartwright to have.??

TITAN FAN
31-03-13, 10:12 PM
Again another great performance from our two hookers Falloon is a genious at slowing down that play the ball around the ruck with his tackling style and they were both very nifty our of dummy half, great try assist by Srama and he made a mountain of tackles as well

Chaos
31-03-13, 10:33 PM
It's not about being ahead or not, it's about what carty wants. He might want pure size, but I think he will go for a utility to cover a few spots.

Not saying I agree with that though...

I rather a drop ball here and there...over stupid penalties and poor decision making.

teke
01-04-13, 12:22 AM
End of 2011 when Ben Ross said falloon was better than Isaac Luke I was excited last year did nothing but this year living up to that with me. MOM in my opinion today he was fantastic only great teams can play poor and win I think we did that today exciting times ahead looking forward to bird Myles or Jamal to smash prince next week bet the cat doesn't even run at the lineIt was the best I have seen from Beau, I thought Bird just shaded him but those 2 were pretty good

teke
01-04-13, 02:21 AM
Dave said mansour is the hardest bloke to tackle in the comp.

Smakked
01-04-13, 03:19 AM

Interesting, Most will say Inglis is the hardest to tackle.

Coaster
01-04-13, 07:35 AM

He did a great job of it, there was a couple of crushing hits in the first half

Chaserz
01-04-13, 08:26 AM
Simply put: absolutely loved Gordons try!

Titanic
01-04-13, 10:12 AM

He wouldn't be alone in that opinion. I don't have a man-crush on him but he was the guy who worried me most leading into the game and was a constant headache for us. I thought we handled him well most of the time and Mead's tackle on him into touch was a cracker.

Supergoose
01-04-13, 10:25 AM
Penrith offloaded with amazing frequency and it didn't make a difference how many guys we had in a tackle. The good news was that we kept turning up in defence to shut down 2nd, 3rd and 4th phases. While we didn't play great we kept showing up and the effort was there.

Sezer was sensational and Bird and Falloon were great off the back of Taylor and Idris. Myles and James tore up the middle and the wingers cashed in. We have an excellent football team to support and we have a big test in front of us in the shape of the Broncos. It's time to show Queensland who the number one team in this state is in 2013 and put Brisbane to the sword. Hear's hoping Harrison, Takairangi and Srama are all okay.

C-Whiz
01-04-13, 11:29 AM

I don't think anyone thought we played that good to be honest. I thought they could have rolled us in the 2 nd half.

Glad we weren't playing the Broncos on Friday night with this performance. We will need to be better on Friday night!
I took Titans at 13+ but I think we were lucky for most of the game and flattered ourselves late. Don't get too excited on this win, but a win is a win.
We need to be much better in 5 days.
I agree that we shouldn't get too carried away with this scrappy win, with a flattering scoreline, but as others have said, this is the sort of game we would have lost in the past couple of years, so if we can win when we are scrappy, that is a good thing.

I just wanted to say that I thought Steve Michales went well, and apart from that howler at the end, which is what we all remember, I thought he did what he had to, and lets not forget he did score a try too. Some credit where it's due, he did his job.

Boonarga
01-04-13, 12:20 PM
zillman always over runs the inside ball ... useless

So does Slater. But it seems he's allowed to receive one forward pass per set of six.

teke
01-04-13, 12:21 PM
Interesting, Most will say Inglis is the hardest to tackle.Thats just his opinion as of now, it could very well change as soon as inglis puts him on his butt in a few weeks time :D

teke
01-04-13, 12:25 PM
He wouldn't be alone in that opinion. I don't have a man-crush on him but he was the guy who worried me most leading into the game and was a constant headache for us. I thought we handled him well most of the time and Mead's tackle on him into touch was a cracker.Segeyaro was the other bloke I thought we handled well, this 2 were the panthers danger men. Mansour strength is his strength but he ain't much chop on anything else, Dave handled him alright considering he played with flu

Boonarga
01-04-13, 12:32 PM
Ok, the game was a little scrappy but still a very good win and hard to find a bad player on our team. This defense is going to win us many games.
Among a host of good performances Bird was a standout. Kelly was great in defense as was Zillman. Actually, they were all great in defense.

And, Gordon proved the Flash is back. He outran Mead in the chase on Humble.

Titanic
01-04-13, 12:35 PM
Just for fun because it is April Fool's Day and Gould is truly a legend in his own mind:

The Panthers played more of the good football, provided more of the better moments and created by far the most scoring opportunities, but ended up well behind on the scoreboard when the siren sounded

The home side did have three tries disallowed. The first of these was crucial because it would have given them the early lead, which would have had a vastly different effect on their mentality

The first two tries to the Gold Coast yesterday were terrible defensive lapses by the Panthers. They were not the result of great attacking play

The Gold Coast beat them yesterday on attitude, not football

From Gus Gould's column in the SMH.

teke
01-04-13, 12:46 PM
And, Gordon proved the Flash is back. He outran Mead in the chase on Humble.I said that to him aswell and he replied he was too tired to chase.

teke
01-04-13, 12:47 PM
Just for fun because it is April Fool's Day and Gould is truly a legend in his own mind:

From Gus Gould's column in the SMH.:laugh: :cry: :D

david may
01-04-13, 01:28 PM
You guys are quite a tough audience!

But I love a challenge... It's a long season and every team is going to have their off days. If we can win scrappy games like this then it has to be a good sign.

I'd also just point out that I think penrith have averaged 30 points a game so to keep them pegged to a low score like we did was pretty impressive. Even though we weren't on top form, it's a good win.

And 5 years since we won at centrebet I think...

Not trying to be overly positive but if we need to win 14 or 15 games to make the top four I will happily take this one.

teke
01-04-13, 01:35 PM

But I love a challenge... It's a long season and every team is going to have their off days. If we can win scrappy games like this then it has to be a good sign.

I'd also just point out that I think penrith have averaged 30 points a game so to keep them pegged to a low score like we did was pretty impressive. Even though we weren't on top form, it's a good win.

Not trying to be overly positive but if we need to win 14 or 15 games to make the top four I will happily take this one.As the game progressed into the 2nd half and beyond I thought the Panthers could get a roll on and do their typical pts burst.

The offloads were and are horrible to contain but the boys scratched really well. Spoke to some off the players and they mentioned the same.

Bottom line is they got a good win.

You going to start a war of words with your fellow Bronco CEO this week :)

Chaos
01-04-13, 01:51 PM

The most concerning set for me was a penalty we got half way through the second half. At 12-4 up we needed an attacking play to get points.
Firstly Bailey wanted to take the two...glad he's not captain.
0. Taylor makes a strong run
1. For some reason Falloon takes a shot to the blind and waste a tackle.
2. 2 pass to middle looking like some positional set up
3. Then it looks like Sezer runs a tail behind some leading decoys but half runs it and gives a pressure pass to Michaels with defenders on him.
4. Then a switch to an extra inside ball looked to be the play they were going for but the set up was pathetic and they just run into traffic.
5. Talyor gains something out of the set via a grubber into the in-goal.

If we get a penalty 35 out, Kelly has to get the ball and I expect Idris to be involved

The top 4 sides wont be producing attacking sets like this at this stage of the game.

teke
01-04-13, 02:58 PM
The most concerning set for me was a penalty we got half way through the second half. At 12-4 up we needed an attacking play to get points.
Firstly Bailey wanted to take the two...glad he's not captain.
0. Taylor makes a strong run
1. For some reason Falloon takes a shot to the blind and waste a tackle.
2. 2 pass to middle looking like some positional set up
3. Then it looks like Sezer runs a tail behind some leading decoys but half runs it and gives a pressure pass to Michaels with defenders on him.
4. Then a switch to an extra inside ball looked to be the play they were going for but the set up was pathetic and they just run into traffic.
5. Talyor gains something out of the set via a grubber into the in-goal.

If we get a penalty 35 out, Kelly has to get the ball and I expect Idris to be involved

The top 4 sides wont be producing attacking sets like this at this stage of the game.i have seen manly do worse than that.

This happens week in week out by every team.

Bayside Titan
01-04-13, 03:03 PM

Not trying to be overly positive but if we need to win 14 or 15 games to make the top four I will happily take this one.
At this time of year David I agree with you. We did well to win scrapy. Yes a few things looked ordinary buts its only Rd 4 and we are in 4 spot on the ladder. I hate to think where we were last year. I smiled when I saw Dave Taylor kick because that said to me that he is starting to feel comfortable in his role with the club. To me the difference in the defence is that I think that every player has confidence in those player inside and outside of them although I tend to think that we have a few holes on the middle of the park at times.

If we win scrapy by round 7-8 ill be a little worried but overall have where we are at the moment.

Titanic
01-04-13, 04:14 PM
C'mon you guys ... nobody is suggesting that we are going particularly poorly, however, we are not going great guns either so constructive criticism is what is being discussed here. Anybody unhappy with being 3-1 would be hard to please.

I for one am not going to wax enthusiastic about performances until we have our best combination on the field playing to the best of their abilities ... and even then it will only be my opinion and maybe no one else's :)

Coaster
01-04-13, 04:34 PM
It's going to be a long year for you old mate. If you can not celebrate the victories.

First month of footy and we have 3/4 wins. Highest F/A we have EVER had, and fantastic Defense.

IMO we are going great guns

Our best game should be in October

teke
01-04-13, 04:43 PM
I for one am not going to wax enthusiastic about performances until we have our best combination on the field playing to the best of their abilities ...:)hmmm I'm interested in the best combination bit:D

Titanic
01-04-13, 05:16 PM
It's going to be a long year for you old mate. If you can not celebrate the victories ... our best game should be in October

am celebrating just not getting carried away ... the season is never long enough, as we all know.

hmmm I'm interested in the best combination bit

and that's my point ... we won't know until about round 22

C-Whiz
01-04-13, 06:46 PM
Our best game should be in OctoberOur best game should always be the next one. :D

Sydney Titans Fanatic
01-04-13, 07:08 PM
This was such a good atmosphere with the few titans fans that showed up... Thank you to the Away legion who showed up and cant wait to head out to mudgee for our next game south