PDA

View Full Version : NRL: BK named Manly Captain

DeeGan
07-02-06, 11:22 AM
From FOXSPORTS.COM.AU

VETERAN Test back rower Ben Kennedy was today named Manly captain for the 2006 NRL season.

The 31-year-old former Newcastle forward takes over the leadership from Michael Monaghan.

Coach Des Hasler described Kennedy as the "best onfield leader in the club".

"Ben Kennedy is an inspirational player and an obvious choice as captain," Hasler said via a club statement.

"His first-up season with Manly was exceptional last year and the leadership won't affect his role in any way."

Kennedy beat out Monaghan and new recruit Matt Orford for the role.

"Ben Kennedy is an inspirational player and an obvious choice as captain" - all well and good Des though he was at your club last season? Such an obvious choice could of assumed captaincy from the get go.

All in all, the right move made as he is the best man for the job IMO.

Titanium_BD1103
07-02-06, 11:54 AM
Congrats to BK... he deserves that and is a great leader who will ensure Manly do well this year.. :D :D

As for Monaghan.. well I reckon him and Menzies will make good experienced leaders now and Monaghan can focus on whereever he is placed to play.. most probably Hooker or 5/8th it seems.. and I wish him all the best for a successful season.. :)

Just a question for any of the Manly Fans, is Michael Witt any chance of getting game time this season... or is he going to be consigned to the PL team again.. because he is too good a talent to have that happen to him again.. :( :(

Dakink
07-02-06, 11:55 AM
Would have been my choice too - Manly are my smokies this year - God that hurts to say!

Super Cronk
07-02-06, 12:03 PM
LOL sucked in orford.

Congrats to BK good choice, altho i would have gone with beaver menzies.

..::Coops::..
07-02-06, 02:17 PM
LOL sucked in orford.

Congrats to BK good choice, altho i would have gone with beaver menzies.

menzies doesn't want the job anymore..he feels he plays better when he isn't captain, otherwise he would still be captain. but i agree, sucked in orford and Bk a good choice

Luke
07-02-06, 04:59 PM
Good choice by Manly, Its a shame knights let Bk go.

The Original Idiot
07-02-06, 05:06 PM
Forwards and experienced warriors make the best captains IMO. :lD at orford.

Steve Dangerous
07-02-06, 07:16 PM
fair effort.

he does play the game like a leader... will definately lead from the front.

mb63
07-02-06, 11:02 PM
Goos decision,Kennedy is the best man for the job.Monaghan appears to be on the outer & could struggle to be in the starting lineup.Would think Manly will try & release him at seasons end.

Cliffy GC
08-02-06, 12:57 AM
great choice

i would of been happy with bk, menzies or watmough to be honest

SuperCliffy#01
08-02-06, 11:38 AM
Would have been my choice too - Manly are my smokies this year - God that hurts to say!

From a Manly supporter, take a tablet and lie down, ease your pain.cya

SuperCliffy#01
08-02-06, 11:43 AM
Goos decision,Kennedy is the best man for the job.Monaghan appears to be on the outer & could struggle to be in the starting lineup.Would think Manly will try & release him at seasons end.

Those not already know i have been one of the strongest critics of Monaghan over his captaincy last year, but now Manly have made the right decision, Monaghan now can concentrate on playing football, and imho is one of the most lethal halfbacks playing the game today.

So good luck to the mightiest of Mighties, the Manly Warringah Sea Eagles. cya.

Dakink
08-02-06, 12:02 PM
Those not already know i have been one of the strongest critics of Monaghan over his captaincy last year, but now Manly have made the right decision, Monaghan now can concentrate on playing football, and imho is one of the most lethal halfbacks playing the game today.

So good luck to the mightiest of Mighties, the Manly Warringah Sea Eagles. cya.

LOL Lethal halfbacks playing the game hehehe...

He is the Ford up against the Porsche, hard honest worker but never going to really be flashy or impress.

DeeGan
08-02-06, 12:25 PM
From SMH.com.au

Kennedy vows to keep Sea Eagles on way up

By Brad Walter
February 8, 2006
Related coverage

TEST back-rower Ben Kennedy is set to quit representative football after accepting the Manly captaincy for what may be his final season in the game.

Kennedy, arguably Australia's best forward in last year's Tri-Nations tournament, will take over the skipper's reins from Michael Monaghan after being offered the job by Sea Eagles coach Des Hasler.

Former Melbourne halfback Matt Orford, whose arrival at Manly has forced Monaghan to switch to either hooker or five-eighth, was considered for the role but Hasler said Kennedy was the obvious choice following an "exceptional" debut season for the club last year.

Having deputised as Newcastle skipper several times when Andrew Johns was injured, Kennedy had been earmarked as a possible captain when he joined the Sea Eagles but was initially not interested.

"I said that I definitely didn't want to do it last year because I was coming to a new club and had enough on my plate and I'd never really thought much more about it until Des called me into the office [on Monday] and formally asked me," Kennedy said. "After listening to his spiel about the job I was delighted to accept it but I can't see anything changing too much. The halfback and the hooker are the blokes who handle the ball the most so they'll be doing most of the talking and most of the organising, and we've still got [former captain] Steve Menzies and guys like Brent Kite. Kitey has really impressed me, I think he is going to have a real big year and his leadership is right up there."

But while Kennedy believes Kite is on track to regain the NSW front-row berth he lost last season, the 31-year-old veteran of 13 Tests and 12 State of Origin appearances said his representative career was all but over and he was undecided about playing on beyond this season.

"Manly have an option on my services so I won't be going anywhere else, it will either be a case of pulling the pin or going one more year with them," Kennedy said. "At the moment I'm feeling pretty good but I guess you don't really know until about six or seven games into the season.

"In regards to rep footy, I'm pretty much leaning towards last year being my last season. I haven't officially rung [Australian Rugby League general manager] Geoff Carr or written a letter, but with this job and the change of coaches with the rep teams I'm thinking that it's probably time to sit back and let someone else have a go.

"Manly has given me this honour and I should show some respect and show that I'm committed to getting Manly going in the right direction."

After leading the Sea Eagles to the play-offs last year for the first season since 1997, Monaghan was disappointed to lose the captaincy but Hasler said Kennedy was "the best on-field leader in the club". "He [Monaghan] was disappointed and that's the reaction I would have expected, but he realises he faces challenges and it is best that he does that without the captaincy issue hanging over his head," Hasler said. "He has been one of our best trainers in the off-season and has impressed everyone with his attitude."

No BK, most likely no Johns for the Blues either - two pivotal players in last years series which is not ideal for Murray.

One thing that does irk me with BK when wearing the arm band is his constand need to get in the face of the ref. Yes, happens and has happened before though he is right up there with Geoff Toovey as a 'nagging' captain.

I would hope he has touched up on his 'approach' to the men in the middle. Some of his episodes with Newcastle raised the eyebrow a little.

Dakink
08-02-06, 12:35 PM
Just continuing the great Manly trafition of having world class whingers as Captains (Bar Menzies).