PDA

View Full Version : Storm leadership group to share captaincy

Super Cronk
07-02-06, 09:28 AM
Melbournestorm.com.au

Melbourne Storm yesterday selected a leadership group that will share all of the responsibilities that come with being the captain of an NRL rugby league club, including match day tasks.

Cameron Smith, Michael Crocker, Scott Hill, Matt Geyer, David Kidwell and Dennis Scott were chosen by their teammates to lead the club for the 2006 season.

Storm coach Craig Bellamy feels the club will be better served if the responsibilities a player takes on with the captaincy of an NRL club is shared amongst a leadership group.

"We've lost a lot of experienced players over the past couple of years such as Robbie Kearns, Stephen Kearney, Matt Orford and Steven Bell," said Bellamy.

"Although I think there are some candidates there for the captaincy, I like the idea of spreading around the responsibility of the role.

"There are some young guys coming through that look like they will have the ability to lead the club in the future, they just need some experience."

Although the coaching staff had their own idea as to who they would have liked to have seen in the leadership group, the sole responsibility of choosing the team's leaders fell on the shoulders of the players themselves.

"The players chose their leaders in a vote," said Bellamy.

"The players in the group presented to the squad what they believed was the club's ethos.

"After that they spoke about leadership and what this club is all about. Everyone had a vote and they decided to pick six leaders.

"The players that we selected as a coaching group were the same ones the players chose so I think the players got it right."

By choosing a leadership group, Bellamy believes the players will be better equipped to take ownership of the club and lead it in to an era of success both on and off the pitch.

"I think it inspires the leaders to take a hold of the group, take a hold of the club and be responsible for their actions," said Bellamy.

"It's not just about being a part of the club, but to be the club."

Eel 33
07-02-06, 10:01 AM
Good idea to spread the captaincy role around. Hopefully Crocker grows up a little down there, particularly as he is now 1 of the above.

mb63
07-02-06, 10:00 PM
Don't like this captaincy rotation.I'm sure Cam Smith would have handled the role well.