PDA

View Full Version : Penrith sign Fijian hotel porter sight unseen on recommendation of Brad Fittler and A

TITAN PETE
10-12-12, 01:31 PM
By Phil Rothfield The Sunday Telegraph December 09, 2012 9:29AM

A few weeks ago, Etonia Nabuli was a humble porter in a Fijian hotel. That was until he bumped into Freddy Fittler and Joey Johns in the foyer.

An amazing chain of events has led to the 23-year-old joining the Penrith Panthers sight unseen. It has to be one of the most amazing player signing stories in NRL history.

Freddy and Joey were in Fiji, combining a family holiday with coaching clinics, school visits, tours of villages and charity fundraisers.

"We bumped into him in the foyer at the Intercontinental, looked at him, and thought what a specimen," Fittler said.

"So me and Joey invited him down to a nearby park. We put up some bombs, had him running up and down the field, passing left to right, right to left. We did some skills, some sprints, some grubbers and he came up a treat."

Johns was equally as impressed.

"His athleticism was phenomenal," Joey said.

"Plus great hand-eye co-ordination. I guess you could say this is an educated gamble but sometimes you can just look at blokes and know they are good players."

Nabuli plays club rugby union in Fiji in both the 15-a-side and Sevens formats.

"As long as he can learn a bit about our game and about positioning, he'll be a freak," Fittler said.

Johns is employed as an assistant coach under Geoff Toovey at Manly and offered him to the Sea Eagles first.

They even had video footage from the hour-long skills session, taken by cameraman Adam Thompson, who was filming a documentary on the trip.

"Manly were umming and ahhing so I rang Gus (Phil Gould) at Penrith," Fittler said.

"Gus just said over the phone, 'We'll take him'.

"I thought living in Penrith would be an easier place for him to adapt to as well."

It wasn't just the football skills that convinced the Blues legends to set him up in the NRL.

He doesn't drink or smoke and had stable employment.

"We spoke to his bosses at the hotel," Joey said.

"They just raved about the guy's work ethic." Freddy added: "What impressed me most is when he came along to a clinic in one of the villages.

"Just watching him leading the kids around, he had leadership and authority about him.

"He didn't yell or scream but they listened to him. He's a very impressive kid."

Johns and Fittler paid for the Fijian trip themselves. They took gear from the Roosters, Penrith and Warriors to hand out in schools.

Their inspiration was the stunning debut of winger Marika Koroibete at the Wests Tigers this year.

One day they even dressed up in drag on a catwalk to raise $10,000 for the local hospital

They also visited the homes of Lote Tuqiri and Akuila Uate and met their families.

"It was a wonderful experience and we are going to make it an annual thing," Fittler said. "The NRL should be putting some money into Fiji and finding a good operator to run the show.

"If it's handled properly, I can see the day where we have a lot more Fijians playing rugby league.

"They need some funding and they need some direction."

Wests Tigers winger Koroibete burst on to the scene last season as arguably the most exciting young prospect in the game. Noa Nadruku, Jarryd Hayne, Uate and Petero Civoniceva have done it all before him.

"Seriously, it's a great breeding ground as long as you get them early before their diet changes," Fittler said.

"They're all born athletes. They're 6ft 4in, they jump high, can run fast, step and they're so strong.

"There are a lot more like our mate Etonia just waiting for opportunities."

Read more: http://www.foxsports.com.au/league/nrl-premiership/penrith-sign-fijian-hotel-porter-sight-unseen-on-recommendation-of-brad-fittler-and-andrew-johns/story-fn2mcuj6-1226533005435#ixzz2Ec1T7CIr

TITAN PETE
10-12-12, 01:32 PM
Great story i hope he becomes another Super Star, should be more stories like this one :thumbsup:

GC_Titans_Fan
10-12-12, 08:31 PM
Great story i hope he becomes another Super Star, should be more stories like this one :thumbsup:

Oh, but there is.

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport/nrl/north-queensland-cowboys-rope-in-vanuata-prodigy-kunro-kalo/story-e6frep5x-1226533205161

VANUATU rugby league prodigy Kunro Kalo has gone from living in a tin shack to training with the North Queensland Cowboys.

Kalo, an athletic 18-year-old, was recruited by the Cowboys after starring for Vanuatu in a league international against Greece, held in Port Vila two months ago.

Outside back Kalo is on a train-and-trial contract with the Cowboys and if he continues to impress he will play in their Toyota Cup team next year.

Athletically, he matches up against any man in the Cowboys under-20 squad, but he is a long-term prospect after growing up playing rugby sevens.

Vanuatu's match against Greece was their debut league Test and the team is sponsored by a kava distributor, The Kava Emporium.

Melbourne Storm centre Justin O'Neill was also part of the team as his mother hails from the small Pacific nation.

Kalo quit school aged 15 to help provide for his family.

If he makes the NRL he will be the first player born and bred in Vanuatu to do so.

"My house was just made of tin but it was OK. We had pigs and chickens everywhere too," Kalo said.

"People back home are pretty amazed I am here.

"The Cowboys have been great to me. I am learning a lot.

"My fitness is good, but there is so much else to learn. It is now my dream to play in NRL."

Three months ago, Kalo had never heard of Johnathan Thurston, but now he gets anxious just watching the superstar train in Townsville.

"I never dreamed any of this could ever happen to me," Kalo said.

"I see Johnathan in the paper and on television all the time and I realise he must be a big star and then there he is at training.

This is amazing."

Kalo had spent time in Australia previously this year thanks to league development official Dane Campbell, a former Newcastle Knights NRL player and founder of the Vanuatu Rugby League.

Campbell backed Kalo to become an NRL player.

"He's freakish," Campbell said.

"He really has great talent and not only is he an athlete but he's also quite skilled with the ball and played halfback for Vanuatu."

Cowboys under-20s coach Todd Wilson said Kalo was an excellent prospect.

"He's very raw but he's a real athlete. He's a really good kid too who always asks questions and really wants to learn."

DIEHARD
10-12-12, 08:39 PM
Two AMAZING stories. And just goes to show the potential of the NRL in the Pacific.

Good work Freddy and Joey who went over on their own bat.

Fijians are perfect Rugby League players.

I've been an admirer of VRL in its short existence and the success of Kolo so far is stunning. All the best and may all NRL clubs think outside the box.

Bring back the World.. 9s!