PDA

View Full Version : XXXX Queensland State of Origin Squad 2006

Queenslander
06-02-06, 08:25 PM
XXXX QUEENSLAND STATE OF ORIGIN SQUAD 2006

INCOMING Queensland State of Origin coach Mal Meninga will work off a fresh canvas as he looks to revitalise the fortunes of the XXXX Maroons.

Complementing a new Sunshine Coast base and a revamped management panel, Meninga has six potential Origin rookies in his squad for 2006.

Selectors Meninga, Des Morris, Gene Miles and Allan Smith this afternoon named 26 players for a pre-Origin series camp in Brisbane on March 1-2.

Players will be fitted for uniforms, be addressed on several issues and undergo assessment at the Queensland Academy of Sport.

Boom youngsters Tim Smith and Greg Inglis are among those joining 29-year-old veteran Steve Bell in chasing their first Maroon jerseys.

A changing of the guard in the forwards sees Nate Myles, Neville Costigan and Dallas Johnson as other hopeful debutants.

Shaun BERRIGAN Brisbane Broncos
Steven BELL Manly Sea Eagles
Matthew BOWEN North Queensland Cowboys
Paul BOWMAN North Queensland Cowboys
Petero CIVONICEVA Brisbane Broncos
Neville COSTIGAN Brisbane Broncos
Michael CROCKER Melbourne Storm
Josh HANNAY North Queensland Cowboys
Ashley HARRISON Sydney Roosters
Justin HODGES Brisbane Broncos
Greg INGLIS Melbourne Storm
Dallas JOHNSON Melbourne Storm
Darren LOCKYER Brisbane Broncos
Nate MYLES Bulldogs
Steven PRICE New Zealand Warriors
Scott PRINCE Wests Tigers
Ben ROSS Cronulla Sharks
Billy SLATER Melbourne Storm
Cameron SMITH Melbourne Storm
Tim SMITH Parramatta Eels
Brent TATE Brisbane Broncos
Willie TONGA Bulldogs
Johnathan THURSTON North Queensland Cowboys
Carl WEBB North Queensland Cowboys
Rhys WESSER Penrith Panthers
Ty WILLIAMS North Queensland Cowboys

http://qrl.com.au/display.php?pg_id=1239

Queenslander
06-02-06, 08:30 PM
Now that is a very very very strong squad. Hopefully all of them are available around state of origin time. I think Queensland will bring back the trophy to Queensland where it belongs! :win:

Steelers
06-02-06, 08:31 PM

INCOMING Queensland State of Origin coach Mal Meninga will work off a fresh canvas as he looks to revitalise the fortunes of the XXXX Maroons.

Complementing a new Sunshine Coast base and a revamped management panel, Meninga has six potential Origin rookies in his squad for 2006.

Selectors Meninga, Des Morris, Gene Miles and Allan Smith this afternoon named 26 players for a pre-Origin series camp in Brisbane on March 1-2.

Players will be fitted for uniforms, be addressed on several issues and undergo assessment at the Queensland Academy of Sport.

Boom youngsters Tim Smith and Greg Inglis are among those joining 29-year-old veteran Steve Bell in chasing their first Maroon jerseys.

A changing of the guard in the forwards sees Nate Myles, Neville Costigan and Dallas Johnson as other hopeful debutants.

Shaun BERRIGAN Brisbane Broncos
Steven BELL Manly Sea Eagles
Matthew BOWEN North Queensland Cowboys
Paul BOWMAN North Queensland Cowboys
Petero CIVONICEVA Brisbane Broncos
Neville COSTIGAN Brisbane Broncos
Michael CROCKER Melbourne Storm
Josh HANNAY North Queensland Cowboys
Ashley HARRISON Sydney Roosters
Justin HODGES Brisbane Broncos
Greg INGLIS Melbourne Storm
Dallas JOHNSON Melbourne Storm
Darren LOCKYER Brisbane Broncos
Nate MYLES Bulldogs
Steven PRICE New Zealand Warriors
Scott PRINCE Wests Tigers
Ben ROSS Cronulla Sharks
Billy SLATER Melbourne Storm
Cameron SMITH Melbourne Storm
Tim SMITH Parramatta Eels
Brent TATE Brisbane Broncos
Willie TONGA Bulldogs
Johnathan THURSTON North Queensland Cowboys
Carl WEBB North Queensland Cowboys
Rhys WESSER Penrith Panthers
Ty WILLIAMS North Queensland Cowboys

http://qrl.com.au/display.php?pg_id=1239

Two notable omissions are Casey McGuire and Chris Flannery. There are probably more as well.

Queenslander
06-02-06, 08:33 PM
Two notable omissions are Casey McGuire and Chris Flannery. There are probably more as well.

Good point, hopefully these two utilities get into the squad, both deserve to be there :thumbsup:

DeeGan
06-02-06, 08:34 PM
Let's hope Petero's time is over as a QLD Maroon - pleeeasse Big Mal.

The squad is pretty much what most would come up with if asked to nominate 26 players barring perhaps one or two. The scary thing is, there is not much difference there to the squad that were comprehensively beaten in 2005 - well there is though most of the young kids like Tim Smith and Nate Myles are unlikely to play.

Interesting, I would like to think it is 'not so cut and dried' when the season is yet to start. There may be one or two surprises just yet.

Super Cronk
06-02-06, 08:52 PM
A massive congrats goes to Steve Bell, he should have been in the team last year, hopefully for manly he plays out of his skin and gets a spot in the run on side.

DeeGan
06-02-06, 08:57 PM
Interesting times ahead ain't it: Slater, Bell and Inglis - one or two will play with the other being cancelled out.

I WOULD LOVE TO SEE INGLIS AT ORIGIN LEVEL - rare, rare talent who I think will excel in the centres for Melbourne in 2006.

Super Cronk
06-02-06, 08:59 PM
Interesting times ahead ain't it: Slater, Bell and Inglis - one or two will play with the other being cancelled out.

I WOULD LOVE TO SEE INGLIS AT ORIGIN LEVEL - rare, rare talent who I think will excel in the centres for Melbourne in 2006.

slater- FB

Bell and inglis both centres...that way they can all play ;)

But if it was upto me, from a storm fans view..i much rather the storm boys be playing for us that weekend.

Nah seriously tho, i think unless there is a big shortage of centres/fullbacks then inglis wont play this year. Huge talent! Good player great guy, but i think one more full year under his belt and he will be in the maroons jersey.

Queenslander
06-02-06, 09:01 PM
slater- FB

Bell and inglis both centres...that way they can all play ;)

But if it was upto me, from a storm fans view..i much rather the storm boys be playing for us that weekend.

I think Bowen may get the spot at fullback, he is too good to let go. And Slater may get in as a centre with Inglis, but time will tell! So many choices ;)

DeeGan
06-02-06, 09:07 PM
Depth in the backs is not our concern - it's the forwards who were weak last year. We need a forward leader to stand up and take on the NSW pack *gulp* We need someone in the Stu Fielden mould :laugh:

Ipswich Fan
07-02-06, 03:23 AM
I would love to see a Queensland side with both Tim Smith & Greg Inglis in it. I think the side would benefit from having two fearless young players not too scared to have a go. I still think Qld is a bit light on up front though, hopefully this will change as the year progresses.

Dakink
07-02-06, 08:04 AM
Now that is a very very very strong squad. Hopefully all of them are available around state of origin time. I think Queensland will bring back the trophy to Queensland where it belongs! :win:

:satan: :satan: :satan: :satan:

Hehe I love reading fairy tales in the morning!!! ;-)

DeeGan
07-02-06, 08:31 AM
I would love to see a Queensland side with both Tim Smith & Greg Inglis in it. I think the side would benefit from having two fearless young players not too scared to have a go. I still think Qld is a bit light on up front though, hopefully this will change as the year progresses.

Tim Smith ahead of Scott Prince or a Jonathon Thurston?

I agree young players have that 'no fear' approach and I think Inglis will be a bolter for the QLD side (ahead of Berrigan) and possible Australian team inclusion for the Tri-Nations.

..::Coops::..
07-02-06, 08:50 AM

it will happen...just not this year.

Queenslander
07-02-06, 09:15 AM
A little more about the squad from the Courier Mail

Form the main criterion for Maroon selection
Steve Ricketts, Rugby league
07feb06

QUEENSLAND'S State of Origin selectors yesterday sent out a clear message only form players would get the nod in 2006 as the Maroons try to avoid an unprecedented fourth straight series loss to NSW.

Eight players from last year's Queensland campaign missed out on a 26-strong Maroons preliminary squad named yesterday, five of them Broncos. Tonie Carroll, Brad Thorn, Corey Parker, Dane Carlaw and Casey McGuire have paid the price for Brisbane's poor finish to the season, while Chris Flannery (Roosters) is a casualty of his club's failure to make the finals.

Prop Danny Nutley (England) was not considered, while veteran Cowboys winger Matt Sing has indicated he will retire from representative football.

Chairman of selectors Des Morris said yesterday the preliminary squad was picked largely on form at the end of 2005. Morris said the onus was on those players to carry that form into this year's series, while players who missed out still could force their way in by lifting their act.

"We are desperate to get back in the winner's circle and we need players who will go the extra yard for Queensland," he said.

"As selectors, we have to be loyal to Queensland first and the bottom line is form. We've basically picked two teams and there is plenty of variety."

The "teams" will have an opposed training session when they go into camp under new coach Mal Meninga in Brisbane on March 1-2.

Grand finalists North Queensland have six players in the squad while the Broncos and Storm provide five each.

Storm youngster Greg Inglis is the bolter given he has played only 13 NRL matches, while Steven Bell, Neville Costigan, Dallas Johnson, Nate Myles and Tim Smith also have yet to taste Origin football.

The Broncos have submitted names of the club's 25 highest-paid players to the NRL for inclusion in the 2006 media guide.

The Brisbane players are as follows: Darius Boyd, Barry Berrigan, Shaun Berrigan, Leon Bott, Dane Carlaw, Tonie Carroll, Petero Civoniceva, Neville Costigan, Greg Eastwood, Michael Ennis, Ben Hannant, Justin Hodges, Karmichael Hunt, Nick Kenny, Darren Lockyer, Casey McGuire, Scott Minto, Corey Parker, Brett Seymour, David Stagg, Brent Tate, Sam Thaiday, Brad Thorn, Tame Tupou and Shane Webcke.

Hooker Barry Berrigan's playing career remains in limbo because of a neck complaint with the 30-year-old set to have an injection tomorrow aimed at easing the pain he has been experiencing.

Thaiday (knee) is set to be ruled out of Saturday's trial against North Queensland in Rockhampton, while fellow forward Joe Clarke is unavailable after fracturing his sternum in a trial last weekend.

MAROONS SQUAD: Darius Boyd, Barry Berrigan, Shaun Berrigan, Leon Bott, Dane Carlaw, Tonie Carroll, Petero Civoniceva, Neville Costigan, Greg Eastwood, Michael Ennis, Ben Hannant, Justin Hodges, Karmichael Hunt, Nick Kenny, Darren Lockyer, Casey McGuire, Scott Minto, Corey Parker, Brett Seymour, David Stagg, Brent Tate, Sam Thaiday, Brad Thorn, Tame Tupou, Shane Webcke.

http://www.couriermail.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5936,18062887%255E10389,00.html

Ipswich Fan
07-02-06, 11:10 AM
It's not impossible to think of Smith being selected ahead of both Prince & Thurston. I think that Prince struggles without Marshall & I feel that Thurston's rep future lies at five-eighth. I think he is far better in the five-eigth role.

DeeGan
07-02-06, 11:15 AM
It's not impossible to think of Smith being selected ahead of both Prince & Thurston. I think that Prince struggles without Marshall & I feel that Thurston's rep future lies at five-eighth. I think he is far better in the five-eigth role.

Fair call.

Scott Prince played in 2004 Series and handled the job well combining with Darren Lockyer - I don't think he struggles with out Marshall at all IMO. Sure, having a great attacking talent outside is going to help, though Prince can get the job done with a lesser player. Didn't happen on Saturday morning, but who in the Tigers team played overly well?

With Flannery an interesting point raised - good enough for the 44 man Australian squad yet not good enough for the 26 man QLD team :hmm:

Also, none of these players are hard one by in being left out of the QLD squad IMO - Tonie Carroll, Brad Thorn, Corey Parker, Dane Carlaw and Casey McGuire.

Dakink
07-02-06, 11:20 AM
No I agree - I also think that Prince struggles a little without a player of MArshalls type beside him.

DeeGan
07-02-06, 11:36 AM
No I agree - I also think that Prince struggles a little without a player of MArshalls type beside him.

Kinda' obvious Dakink that losing a Marshall, Lockyer, Barrett etc. is going to detract from his halfbacks game a little when more defensive attention would be headed their way...

Scott Prince in 2004 led the Tigers to within one win of a finals birth playing in 21 games for the Tigers to Benji's meager 7. Prince's form was also good enough to earn S.O.O. selection that year and that was without playing a game with Benji Marshall until round 10, the game before Origin selection. On his own, he impressed the QLD selectors playing inside a make shift five-eight like Daniel Fitzhenry.

Dakink
07-02-06, 12:28 PM
True - Just saying that Im not fully convinced he is as good as the press says just yet.

TDoGGBulldog
08-02-06, 06:36 PM
yay nate myles and willie tonga...

boo qld..

go nsw

lol :]