PDA

View Full Version : No NRL team interest in signing rugby union renegade Quade Cooper

Toads
25-11-12, 03:42 PM
No NRL team interest in signing rugby union renegade Quade Cooper

James Hooper From: The Sunday Telegraph November 25, 2012 12:00AM

http://resources0.news.com.au/images/2012/11/24/1226523/407132-quade-cooper.jpg
No NRL clubs have shown interest in rugby renegade Quade Cooper. Picture: Darren England Source: The Courier-Mail

RENEGADE rugby union player Quade Cooper has been dealt a dose of reality, with every NRL club slamming the door on a code switch.

Tomorrow, at the Brisbane Convention Centre, Cooper will officially announce his plan to stage a boxing bout on the undercard of the latest Sonny Bill Williams sideshow against 44-year-old Francois Botha in February.

As world champion Danny Green pointed out last week, Cooper calling himself a boxer is like Green announcing his intention to takeover as the Wallaby five-eighth.

It's an insult to all the great names to have graced Australian pugilism over the past 50 years such as Lionel Rose, Jeff Fenech, Jeff Harding and Daniel Geale.

Cooper has been labelled a mercenary and high maintenance after walking away from his contract negotiations with the Australian Rugby Union.

And no NRL club is prepared to take a risk on the former Queensland Reds playmaker, with all 16 clubs contacted by The Sunday Telegraph issuing an emphatic "no".

Despite the New Zealand Warriors having ample room to accommodate Cooper, new coach Matthew Elliott branded him too much of a risk.

"He's obviously a sublime talent, but at this stage we're not in a position to take the risk," Elliott said.

"We are in a position where we do have some freight and we are looking at halves and outside backs, but we're not in a position to speculate that much money on a player coming from union to league."

It was a similar story at every other rugby league club.

From premiers Melbourne Storm to wooden-spooners Parramatta, no club was prepared to gamble on what Cooper might be able to bring to the table.

Surprisingly, Cooper found an ally in triple world champion boxer Jeff Fenech.

Fenech argued Cooper was only trying to make as much money as possible during his time as a professional athlete.

But he could also understand how his dalliance with boxing was a slap in the face for every up-and-coming amateur boxer or pub fighter dieting and training seven days a week for a shot at a decent purse.

"I don't begrudge Quade Cooper wanting to make a dollar, but I do feel sorry for all the fighters out there who are dieting and starving themselves to try and get a shot at the big time and then these other guys with the big names can just come in and trade off their reputations," Fenech said.

No question, the former Wallaby No. 10 can be brilliant with the ball in his hands. But defensively, as evidenced during the Australia's ill-fated World Cup campaign, Cooper is a huge liability.

And he's coming off a major knee reconstruction.

The reality for Cooper now is he's going to have to play rugby union in France or Japan and bide his time for Wallabies coach Robbie Deans to be sacked.

With Deans out of the picture and Ewen McKenzie his obvious successor, the door will re-open for Cooper to re-negotiate a new ARU deal.

Source: www.news.com.au (http://www.news.com.au/sport/rugby-gold/no-nrl-team-interest-in-signing-rugby-union-renegade-quade-cooper/story-fndpt9s1-1226523422551)

Toads
25-11-12, 03:52 PM
This is basically the reason I've gone off Quade in recent days. No so much the fact he's fallen out with ARU, or that no NRL Clubs wants him.

It's all to do with him wanting to step into the Boxing Ring. It's basically a slap in the face to all the young up 'n coming Boxers that bust their butts everyday of the week to try and reach their goals. Not only that, it's making a mockery of Boxing within Australia.

Whereas, on the other hand. Footy Players like our Birdy, Paul Gallen and Willie Mason are stepping into the ring for charity matches, to help raise funds for Cancer Association/s.

To me, there's a huge difference to why Quade wants to do it for, and what Greg is doing it for. This idea of Union or League Players doing it to line their own pockets has got to end. Mainly so Boxing within Australia doesn't have it's image tarnished anymore than what it is, and give genuine Boxers a real shot at their dreams. Instead of playing second fiddle to any footy personality that comes along..

Ryan
25-11-12, 04:08 PM
This is basically the reason I've gone off Quade in recent days. No so much the fact he's fallen out with ARU, or that no NRL Clubs wants him.

It's all to do with him wanting to step into the Boxing Ring. It's basically a slap in the face to all the young up 'n coming Boxers that bust their butts everyday of the week to try and reach their goals. Not only that, it's making a mockery of Boxing within Australia.

Whereas, on the other hand. Footy Players like our Birdy, Paul Gallen and Willie Mason are stepping into the ring for charity matches, to help raise funds for Cancer Association/s.

To me, there's a huge difference to why Quade wants to do it for, and what Greg is doing it for. This idea of Union or League Players doing it to line their own pockets has got to end. Mainly so Boxing within Australia doesn't have it's image tarnished anymore than what it is, and give genuine Boxers a real shot at their dreams.

Boxing is it's own worst enemy, the whole sport is riddled with poor managment and promoters that allow this sort of **** to happen. Quade is making his own bed, let him lay in it just as SBW and Mundine are. History will not remember any of them as aspiriing athletes, but self obsessed wastes of potential. Is it coincidence that they all have one thing in common? :nope:

Dana White is leading the way for sports management. His no nonsense approach in building the UFC into what it is today is phenomenal. ATTN: Dave Smith - If you want to carry the NRL to the next level, this is the guy you'll need to take notes from.

Toads
25-11-12, 04:25 PM
Well said, Ryan. I can't knock anything that you mentioned there.. ;)

Titanic
25-11-12, 06:53 PM
Boxing should be the great leveller. Pretenders of limited talent should get knocked on their ****s and that should be their reality check ... however, the dimwits who take that route show their true colours by jumping back in and doing it again under the guise of toughness ... it's as worrying as it's pathetic ... sadly there is a percentage of the population who pay to watch such twits do further damage to what little grey-matter they have left.

Smakked
26-11-12, 01:16 AM
He will stay with RU i reckon anyway
He just tweeted he has training at 6am in the morning after a 2 week holiday.

DIEHARD
26-11-12, 02:06 AM
Just the look of this guy annoys me. Would prefer him not in RL. But if he was at a club I don't like heh.

Skyfire
19-12-12, 07:30 PM
No surprises but thank god he isnt in Rugby League. What a cry baby and attentions seeker.