PDA

View Full Version : Titans: Should we look at a 'sister' club in the UK?

DeeGan
06-02-06, 12:37 PM
Titans: Should we look at a 'sister' club in the UK?

Once we got the go ahead from the NRL on May 27, 2005, I was all for the Rhinos as my first choice name with the big picture in mind - to link to the Leeds Rhinos in the UK.

Some might say this was a Leeds fan looking the best of both competitions and whilst there is some element of truth to it, I was thinking we could in some way combine with the Rhinos and 'share' ideas as we head into the the unknown in 2007.

Fostering relations with a Super League club has many benefits:

1. We get a foot into the UK market that is neglected by the current 15 NRL clubs. UK fans love their footy as much as we do though on a smaller scale due to the Premiere League. The fans that are there are every bit as passionate about their club though you don't see nearly as many UK fans being vocal in their support of NRL clubs as fans here do. Is there anything bad that can come of getting UK fans to adopt us as there NRL club of choice? None I can come up with. There is a market there for an NRL club to get in to, why shouldn't it be the Titans who will be the 'flavour of the month' this time next season.

2. Player developement in two countries. Adopting a 'sister' club in the UK opens the door for advanced player developement - and in works both ways. We could send Academy players to the UK and vice versa. Experience like that cannot be brought, if anything, the UK club comes out on top pitting their young stars against the best we off in the QLD cup or lower grades.

3. Management free to exchange ideas re: marketing, sponsorship, recruitment, facilities etc. Michael has already being doing that to an extent with some UK clubs and Collingwood FC - why not make it an open door policy that continues for many, many years as we look to continually get better at what we do off the field.

4. Coaching benefits The meeting of like minds at a professional coaching level in rugby league is rare. Sure, NRL coaches get together a little and talk though having 'a sounding board' to discuss new ideas, strategies etc. would be something both parties would relish.

The above is only the tip of the ice-berg for two professional clubs looking to work together in two different hemishperes.

Thoughts?

lonegull
06-02-06, 01:19 PM
well towns have sister cities so i cant see why sister football clubs can hurt they can the feed of each other and develop each other as in player loans info swapping and development of english league in oz and nrl in the english league another great idea from deegan i think it is something micheal and the team could look at in the possible future

The Original Idiot
06-02-06, 02:10 PM
Brilliant idea, it remains to be seen whether Leeds is up for it.

Eel 33
06-02-06, 03:31 PM
Can always try. If it happens watch the other 15 teams jump on the band wagon.

DeeGan
06-02-06, 03:37 PM
One thing, I am not limiting this to the Rhinos - that was my example, I mean ANY Super League club we should be looking at IMO.

Dakink
06-02-06, 05:48 PM
I think it is a fantastic idea and should be encourages - there is a limitless amount of possibilities open to clubs willing to try new ideas. There are many markets that remain untapped.

Other places like PNG and even the US down the track would\could provide huge benefits to the Titans both as a source for future players, financial and to help develop the game over in developing countries.

DeeGan
06-02-06, 05:55 PM
I think it is a fantastic idea and should be encourages - there is a limitless amount of possibilities open to clubs willing to try new ideas. There are many markets that remain untapped.

Other places like PNG and even the US down the track would\could provide huge benefits to the Titans both as a source for future players, financial and to help develop the game over in developing countries.

Agree - there is ALOT of untapped resources and ideas out there that we as a club could be the catalyst at exploring. Once one club goes head first into an idea, the others don't want to look like they are left behind and jump in as well.

PNG is going to be a great resource for picking up the next Marcus Bai, Adrian Lam or Stanley Gene - I know the NRL makes an effort here though we as a club could take it to a new level as well. Again, the possibilities are endless.

DIEHARD
09-02-06, 07:27 AM
A wonderful idea.

I'd suggest Leeds or Harlequins.

Michael Searle visited Leeds, Wigan and St Helens while on their recent trip to the UK, with Leeds proving popular.

Leeds was last on the list ? the Rhinos clearly had the best facilities they had seen.

Cartwright said, ?They were so well run and very modern. I certainly felt they were the best we saw and it?s something the Titans can aspire towards. They do things a little bit differently over there with their league and union team working in conjunction.?

I really do think sister club arrangements are a good idea. Not only in the UK, but yes why not help support a PNG SP Cup side or a Jaimaican Rugby League side.

It makes you wonder why NRL and ESL clubs don't already have relationships. At the least it would bring in lots of new fans from overseas, it would give them an emotional stake in a NRL club.