PDA

View Full Version : Lack of trials leaves Lockyer underdone

DeeGan
06-02-06, 10:48 AM
From Foxsports.com.au

Lack of trials leaves Lockyer underdone
By Barry Dick
February 6, 2006

AUSTRALIA captain Darren Lockyer risks going into the NRL season "underdone" after ruling out playing in any of Brisbane's pre-season trials.

Lockyer has not even started running on the training paddock and there is some lingering concern that the effects of ankle surgery in December could hamper the champion five-eighth right up to the start of the Premiership.

"I've been restricted to cross training so far and have only jogged a bit on a treadmill," Lockyer said. "I wouldn't think I'd be playing any trials."

Lockyer injured his ankle on Australia's Tri-Nations tour of Britain and had a steel pin inserted in the joint in December.

Broncos coach Wayne Bennett confirmed Lockyer would not have a pre-season hitout but said he was confident the Queensland skipper would be ready for the season opener against North Queensland Cowboys at Suncorp Stadium on Sunday, March 12.

The main problem for Brisbane is that first-choice halfback Brett Seymour also will miss all the pre-season trials because of shoulder surgery meaning the Broncos could go into the Cowboys match with neither of their chief playmakers having played any football in at least three months.

That is the main reason Bennett has picked the untested combination of Karmichael Hunt at halfback and Greg Eastwood at five-eighth for the trial against the Cowboys at Rockhampton's Browne Park on Saturday night.

A Brisbane outfit containing a few NRL hopefuls ran in 11 tries in a 72-16 win over a Wide Bay selection at Childers on Saturday, while the Cowboys blitzed a Mid-West rep team 70-6 in Richmond.

The Courier-Mail

Concern for Brisbane?

Heading in to the NRL season the Broncos are a little behind the eight ball with no established halves pairing.

Greg Eastwood is a good young player, Karmichael could be anything though I am sure Bennett is having a few sleepless nights knowing he is under the pump from to prove critics wrong in 2006.

The juggernaut that is Brisbane will be slowed in 2006 IMO. They have lost their aura and they are not feared like they once were, IMO there are at the most vunerable since the 2000 GF win. Could this be the year they miss the finals for the time in 15 years?

I am certain the competition is not going to be any easier if anything tighter than last season, the Broncos have the talent on their roster to head back to the finals though as we have seen, their big names have done nothing in the finals since 2000.

Dakink
06-02-06, 10:52 AM
I think it would be in Brisbanes favour to start a little underdone and slowly. I can remember any number of teams that have got off to flyers but fallen short - yet teams that start slowly build into momentum. IT's all about peaking at the right times and remembering it is a long hard season!

DeeGan
06-02-06, 10:55 AM
I think it would be in Brisbanes favour to start a little underdone and slowly. I can remember any number of teams that have got off to flyers but fallen short - yet teams that start slowly build into momentum. IT's all about peaking at the right times and remembering it is a long hard season!

Fully aware the season is a long one - though Brisbane are vunerable with many questions to be answered.

Can they win big games anymore?

Is the depth there is low and behold they lose Lockyer for an extended period again?

What is Shane Webcke's knee going to be like for another season in the NRL? He is running freely I am told though the right knee is a concern no matter how much spin they put on it.

I don't think heading into a season with your first choice half and five-eight are either not there or underdone. Time will tell.

Queenslander
06-02-06, 11:19 AM
Fully aware the season is a long one - though Brisbane are vunerable with many questions to be answered.

Can they win big games anymore?

Yes

Is the depth there is low and behold they lose Lockyer for an extended period again?

Of course, we will just bring in Ben Ikin for the 100th time ;)

What is Shane Webcke's knee going to be like for another season in the NRL? He is running freely I am told though the right knee is a concern no matter how much spin they put on it.

He is old, and he has put alot of work on fitness during the off season. He has said that he still has got a couple of years of good footy left.....Are you calling Webcke a liar DeeGan? :fence:

I don't think heading into a season with your first choice half and five-eight are either not there or underdone. Time will tell.
They are trials, many other teams will not have their first choice in halves pairings for their trials....Newcastle for example ;)

DeeGan
06-02-06, 11:25 AM
Yes

Of course, we will just bring in Ben Ikin for the 100th time ;)

He is old, and he has put alot of work on fitness during the off season. He has said that he still has got a couple of years of good footy left.....Are you calling Webcke a liar DeeGan? :fence:

They are trials, many other teams will not have their first choice in halves pairings for their trials....Newcastle for example ;)

All I will say is Webcke isn't going to come out and put question marks over his right knee to the media - stupid move for him personally if he is looking for another season in 2007 with Brisbane or a cashed up Super League team. Again, I have heard he is running freely at the moment, he was in 2005, though will he last a entire season with out seeing time on the sidelines? As a betting man, I will say he will have a stint where he is "rested".

Other clubs will get games out of their first string halves, some won't I agree, doesn't make it an ideal preparation Queenslander.

Brisbane can still win big games? Shall I remind you of their finals record since 2000? What was the last big game they won?

Brisbane are a team that can be labelled "paper champions" - each year they look the goods and promise alot though end up failing making up the numbers at finals time - a time they once dominated.