PDA

View Full Version : NSW steal a Queensland Origin!

DIEHARD
19-11-12, 11:23 PM
NSW Blues steal Origin 'decider' from Queensland
Phil Rothfield
The Daily Telegraph

NSW has sneaked under the guard of bitter rivals Queensland to claim two State of Origin home games at ANZ Stadium next season.

The Daily Telegraph can reveal a multi-million-dollar deal has been struck between Premier Barry O'Farrell, ANZ Stadium management and the Australian Rugby League Commission to seize the 2013 home advantage from the Maroons.

It's a massive boost for the Blues, who have a 68.4 per cent winning record at ANZ Stadium compared with only 27 per cent at Suncorp Stadium.

Statistics also show the Blues win penalty counts at home but get hammered in Brisbane, where referees are obviously influenced by the parochial crowd. The penalties in Brisbane are 51-38 to the Maroons since 2006.

Over a new seven-year schedule to be unveiled at a media conference at NRL headquarters today, Victoria will get only one game, in 2015. The rest will be shared between NSW and Queensland.

Seven-in-a-row champions Queensland had been pencilled in for two home games next year. Their parochial fans, coach Mal Meninga and officials will be howling today.

The original scheduling for Suncorp to have two games in 2013 was made prior to the independent commission coming into power at the beginning of the season.

The change is a huge victory for new NSW coach Laurie Daley, the players and more than 80,000 fans, headed by Blatchy's Blues, who will jam into the Olympic venue.

"ANZ has a huge impact and can make a difference," former Blues coach Ricky Stuart said.

"It's inspiring to look up and see almost 15,000 Blatchy's Blues in the stadium and the rest of the ground full."

Mr O'Farrell's office refused to give details on how much the deal cost, claiming commercial in confidence. The previous government spent $50 million over 10 years to keep the NRL grand final in Sydney.

DIEHARD
19-11-12, 11:27 PM
Campbell Newman just got whacked in the face by the Rugby League free market!

He threatened to cut RL funding at grassroots!

This is gonna be a ****storm!

GC_Titans_Fan
20-11-12, 01:11 AM
I don't have a problem with this if:

1) before last year, QLD & NSW both had taken an even amount of games to Melbourne since 2000.

2) QLD get the same treatment after losing out on a home game next time.

Toads
20-11-12, 07:57 AM
Oh look.. They're fiddling with the rule book down south again to suit themselves, should us Qldrs really be surprised.. :laugh:

TITAN PETE
20-11-12, 12:28 PM
Oh look.. They're fiddling with the rule book down south again to suit themselves, should us Qldrs really be surprised.. :laugh:

Well QLD has been doing it for years ;) , well done to Can't-Do-Campbell :laugh:

Toads
20-11-12, 04:07 PM
Well QLD has been doing it for years ;) , well done to Can't-Do-Campbell :laugh:

Fair call.. It must really suck for Blue's Supporters when they're constantly being beaten in every facet of the game, and then some. :thumbsup:

Sydney Titans Fanatic
20-11-12, 04:13 PM
This can only be good for me:) Im back living in sydney so im stoked i get to see qld play twice this year yew:)

Toads
20-11-12, 04:23 PM
The thing is though, Mate.

We already know how fickle the NSW Crowds are. Fair enough, Round 1 will see bums on seats, but when we win that one, and the next one back home and wrap up the series. You can picture what sorta crowd they'll pull for the third one down there.. :laugh:

I'm glad they've foreseen that problem. :D

DIEHARD
20-11-12, 04:55 PM
ARL Commission must be desperate for QLD to lose a Series!

Steve
20-11-12, 08:03 PM
Oh boo hoo.

Queensland have had 49 home games to New South Wales 42, and NSW has also lost more games to Melbourne, etc than Queensland.

Toads
20-11-12, 08:05 PM
No tears here. I took Laurie Daley's advice of "Get over it!". Now I'm looking forward to the next stunt they pull.. :D

Steve
20-11-12, 08:08 PM
Campbell Newman just got whacked in the face by the Rugby League free market!

He threatened to cut RL funding at grassroots!

This is gonna be a ****storm!

So what you're saying is, Queenslanders voted for this?

:thumbsup:

DIEHARD
20-11-12, 08:14 PM
So what you're saying is, Queenslanders voted for this?

:thumbsup:

Newsflash, you are a resident Queenslander!

Anyway, Origin was always about QLD to begin with.

The first two years was a one game fixture in QLD. Then when it went to a Series in '82 with two games at Lang Park until '87. In the modern era it has levelled out.

In the end things will be even, but why the motivation to flip the order?

DIEHARD
20-11-12, 08:15 PM
No tears here. I took Laurie Daley's advice of "Get over it!". Now I'm looking forward to the next stunt they pull.. :D

It'll fire up the 2013 Series that is for sure. When we go 8-0 in Enemy territory, our brilliance will truly be appreciated!

Steve
21-11-12, 04:13 PM
Newsflash, you are a resident Queenslander!

Anyway, Origin was always about QLD to begin with.

The first two years was a one game fixture in QLD. Then when it went to a Series in '82 with two games at Lang Park until '87. In the modern era it has levelled out.

In the end things will be even, but why the motivation to flip the order?

Well the new commission is shaking things up, right?
I assume this new system is one they consider will be fair to everyone involved, and they're starting fresh. Could they have started off with 2 games in QLD? Sure.

I suspect there probably was some sort of bidding process involved, and the QRL/QLD Government weren't interested in bidding.

DIEHARD
21-11-12, 04:26 PM
1. $$$$
2. Stop Queensland Origin roll.

Sydney Titans Fanatic
22-11-12, 12:56 PM
As one of the queensland legends said. Who cares were it is played... If its played in the woolworths parking lot in broken hill were still gonna show up with the same team and its still gonna be exactly the same result.
It just means were gonna be even more fired up
QUEENSLANDER!!!

Titanic
22-11-12, 03:41 PM

Typo Toads ... I'll just correct it for you:

Oh look.. They're fiddling with themselves, should us Qldrs really be surprised

Toads
22-11-12, 04:10 PM
HAHA Yes! That is much better.. :laugh:

Leeroy
22-11-12, 04:53 PM
As a Queensland supporter who would like to watch a State of Origin game live at home it makes it a little more difficult as I have 1 in 50 thousand chance of getting a ticket. If I was a NSW supporter I would have a 1 in 170 thousand chance.

DIEHARD
30-05-13, 10:27 AM
Maroons have grounds for complaint

MAROONS coach Mal Meninga has taken aim at the controversial decision to rob Queensland of a home game this year as the lopsided draw threatens to destroy his State of Origin dynasty.

If Queensland can conjure an incredible eighth straight series victory, they will do so having played 11 games in Sydney compared with 10 in Brisbane since the streak began in 2006.

''That's a good story. It's an interesting statistic and I hope you print that,'' Meninga said.

''It's just another argument to who's been favoured the most when it comes to games.''

For the second year in a row there will be just one game in Queensland.

The decision to strip Suncorp Stadium of a second game this season is shaping as a major roadblock in Queensland's quest with the Maroons having not won at ANZ Stadium since 2010.

NSW chose to take one of their home games to Etihad Stadium in Melbourne last year and the decision back-fired as Queensland won the crucial series opener.

Queensland was set to host two games this year but the Australian Rugby League Commission introduced a new five-year scheduling plan, gifting the Blues two crucial home games.

An ARLC spokesman said the new five-year deal was agreed upon by the Queensland and NSW rugby leagues as well as state governments.

''The old broadcast deal meant the series was being structured year-by-year,'' he said.

''It's set in stone now for five years and was agreed upon by all the relevant parties.''

Sydney has been a graveyard for Queensland with the Maroons winning only 31 per cent of games there since 1999.

But somehow they have managed to scrape their way to seven consecutive series wins and centre Brent Tate said it was just more motivation to perform.

''We were never going to get any favours were we?'' he said.

''That's just the way it is, we're used to that. It hasn't changed for a long time and I don't think it will.

''It's something we need to deal with and face.''

Queensland snapped their ANZ Stadium hoodoo with a defining win in 2007 to clinch a second straight series. They went on to win four straight games at the Sydney stadium in 2008-10 but that's where the run ended as they lost their past two games.

''We haven't won there for the last two years and we've got ourselves back in that state of mind. We've got to work our way through that,'' Meninga said.

Queensland had their first training run at Coolum on the Sunshine Coast yesterday in wet conditions.

The weather could be an advantage though with the Maroons camp expecting similar conditions in Wednesday's clash at ANZ Stadium.

''Mal's always made us aware that it's just a footy field with two goal posts. We just have to go down there and get the job done,'' Tate said of playing in Sydney.

''I know what a thrill we get when we play in front of our crowd at Suncorp but that's the challenge we've got.

''We've got two games down there and we've done it in the past. It's not something we fear but it's something we're aware of.''

Source: http://www.goldcoast.com.au

DIEHARD
30-05-13, 10:30 AM
This is such a transparent attempt at tilting the balance in NSW's favour.

gothabull
30-05-13, 12:10 PM
If Queensland have got this why is mal so worried ? A bit unfair to get the Dice roll our way but lol get over it canetoads !!!