PDA

View Full Version : Tuqiri back to rugby league?

DIEHARD
05-02-06, 11:44 AM
Tuqiri rethinking his future

WALLABIES star Lote Tuqiri has revealed he is seriously contemplating a shock return to rugby league after Australia's campaign at the 2007 World Cup.

While by no means disillusioned with rugby, Tuqiri admits he would embrace a return to the Broncos, a scenario that will gather irresistible momentum if the rampaging winger tastes World Cup glory in France.

Tuqiri pondered a code switch after the previous World Cup in 2003. Ultimately, he pledged his future to the ARU, a move that suggested he was locked into rugby for life.

But Tuqiri is now genuinely revisiting the issue and will not dismiss the prospect of returning to the Broncos for the 2008 Telstra Premiership.

"I'll definitely be looking at that avenue once my contract is up with rugby," Tuqiri said. "To be honest, it (rugby league) is my first game and my first passion.

"I had four great years at the Broncos. I was a part of State of Origin and I won a grand final. I certainly miss Origin - those memories get the blood pumping.

"At the moment, I'm very happy at the Waratahs and I'm comfortable in rugby.

"But it's not beyond the realms by any means - I would never close the door on rugby league."

Critically, time is on Tuqiri's side should he rebound to league. He will turn 27 in September, meaning the dual international would have at least three seasons, and possibly five, in which to re-ignite the Broncos as a premiership force.

"I said after the 2003 World Cup that it was a positive in a way for me that we didn't win it because it made me more hungry to get to 2007," Tuqiri said. "We were so close in 2003 that it just fuelled the hunger to go one more time.
"But after this World Cup, who knows what I'll do?

"I still speak to the boys at Brisbane. I try to get to their games in Sydney and at home, I'll sit down and watch them on the box.

"I won't deny I have a place in my heart for the Broncos."

Whether Brisbane can afford him is the million-dollar question.

Rumoured to be on $500,000 a season in rugby, Tuqiri would have to consider a sizeable pay cut to return to the club with whom he won a premiership in 2000.

"I thought Lote had closed the door on league for good. But if he's keen to come back, we'd love to have him," Broncos chief executive Bruno Cullen said. "The only obstacle for us is the salary cap, but he's one of our favourite sons.

"Lote is a great winger, though, we certainly wouldn't discourage him."

For the moment, Tuqiri has vowed to recapture the dominance that made him the most feared winger in world rugby in 2004.

"It was a tough season internationally last year, I probably didn't have the impact I had in the two years before that," Tuqiri said." From an international perspective, I'd certainly like more time with the footy and more space to run the ball."

The Sunday Telegraph

DIEHARD
05-02-06, 11:46 AM
Come home Tuqiri! Once a leaguie always a leaguie.

DeeGan
05-02-06, 11:46 AM
Would the Broncos bea able to fit him under the cap? Unlikely.

DeeGan

DIEHARD
05-02-06, 11:49 AM

DeeGan

Yea they'd get rid of garbage like Hunt and others. :laugh:

Titanium_BD1103
05-02-06, 12:10 PM
I read about this in the Sunday Telegraph this morning... would be a shame for NSW if he did decide to leave, he has been a revalation for the Waratahs and we would miss him.. but as DIEHARD said, once a leaguie, always a leaguie.. :D :D

I reckon if he went to the Broncos.. then it would be cool.. because we could score some really cool players.. like Hunt and Bott, to play for us.. I would love to see them in Gold Coast colours.. and then I might actually start following their careers, unlike now where they are in Brisbane and I know they are talent, but not much else.. ;)

Queenslander
05-02-06, 02:48 PM

DeeGan

Well the NRL gave the Knights some leeway to stop Andrew Johns from going to Union. It would be a kick in the groin to Union if they lost one of there big stars....so perhaps the NRL can give the Broncos some salary cap benefits for signing Tuqiri and bringing him back to league :)

DeeGan
05-02-06, 02:55 PM
... would be a shame for NSW if he did decide to leave, he has been a revalation for the Waratahs and we would miss him...

Priceless quote - New South Welshmen agonising over a Queenslander leaving their team :laugh: I wouldn't be too worries, you still have Peter Hewat, Matt Rogers and Wendell Sailor flying the flag for QLD.

Dakink
06-02-06, 10:16 AM
Priceless quote - New South Welshmen agonising over a Queenslander leaving their team :laugh: I wouldn't be too worries, you still have Peter Hewat, Matt Rogers and Wendell Sailor flying the flag for QLD.

Too true and hence one of the major reason that I dont watch Union. Apart from the game being boring the seperate franchises are named after provinces\states but anyone can play for them. I also havent got a clue where half the Sth.African teams are from anyway.

Cliffy GC
06-02-06, 11:01 AM
I watch super 12
.\

WHEN I CANT SLEEP fixes it real fast