View Full Version : Trial 2013: COWBOYS vs TITANS in Mackay

DIEHARD
31-10-12, 12:54 AM
COWBOYS vs TITANS

February 23, 2013 - Mackay

DIEHARD
31-10-12, 12:54 AM
Cowboys' NRL trials v Dragons, Titans

The Cowboys will play both their major pre-season trials in north Queensland, with the NRL club confirming they have locked in a clash with St George Illawarra in Cairns for early 2013.

North Queensland will tackle the Dragons at Barlow Park on February 16.

They will also take on Gold Coast in Mackay on February 23.

Cowboys' football manager Peter Parr said North Queensland would hold a three-day camp in Cairns ahead of the Dragons clash with several community visits organised during their stay.

Parr said he expected the "full house" sign to go up at Barlow Park.

"Since our inception, the Cairns region has always been a Cowboys' stronghold," Parr said.

"This will be our 10th visit to Cairns in 11 years for a pre-season game to go along with the junior rugby league and community work we undertake in the region each year."

Cairns-based Queensland Cup side the Pride will take on the Cowboys' Toyota Cup outfit in the curtain-raiser.

http://www.nrl.com/cowboys-nrl-trials-v-dragons,-titans/tabid/10874/newsid/70315/default.aspx

Hail Sezer
19-02-13, 12:36 PM
North Queensland Toyota Cowboys
2013 Pre-season trial
7.30pm, Saturday 23 February, Virgin Australia Stadium Mackay

1 Matthew Bowen
2 Ashley Graham
3 Brent Tate
4 Antonio Winterstein
5 Kalifa Faifai Loa
6 Johnathan Thurston (c)
7 Robert Lui
8 Matthew Scott (c)
9 Scott Moore
10 James Tamou
11 Gavin Cooper
12 Glenn Hall
13 Dallas Johnson

Interchange:
14 Anthony Mitchell
15 Clint Greenshields
16 Tariq Sims
17 Jason Taumalolo
18 Ashton Sims
19 Wayne Ulugia
20 Joel Riethmuller
21 Ricky Thorby
22 Scott Bolton
23 Ray Thompson

Surfers66
19-02-13, 01:00 PM
North Queensland Toyota Cowboys
2013 Pre-season trial
7.30pm, Saturday 23 February, Virgin Australia Stadium Mackay

1 Matthew Bowen
2 Ashley Graham
3 Brent Tate
4 Antonio Winterstein
5 Kalifa Faifai Loa
6 Johnathan Thurston (c)
7 Robert Lui
8 Matthew Scott (c)
9 Scott Moore
10 James Tamou
11 Gavin Cooper
12 Glenn Hall
13 Dallas Johnson

Interchange:
14 Anthony Mitchell
15 Clint Greenshields
16 Tariq Sims
17 Jason Taumalolo
18 Ashton Sims
19 Wayne Ulugia
20 Joel Riethmuller
21 Ricky Thorby
22 Scott Bolton
23 Ray Thompson

By the look of that side the Cowboys are going to have a cracking season.
Best squad on paper they have ever had!!!!!!!!

TITAN PETE
19-02-13, 04:43 PM
This will be a great test for our defence.

Hail Sezer
19-02-13, 05:42 PM
Titans trial team to be announced on Thursday.

Julius Sezer
19-02-13, 06:07 PM
If Titans can limit the Cowboys to at least one or two tries then i'll be impressed.

Mr Stupid
19-02-13, 10:18 PM
Yes, this is a perfect trial test. Cows have got to be top four contenders with that squad. Lets get a feel for it early on.

Hail Sezer
20-02-13, 10:59 AM
Im curious to see how Carty will approach this. Will he still bring all 3 halfback options or give Sezer and Kelly the full 80 to help them gel? Then he can **** the focus to left centre/filling that left wing position by bringing along Don, O'Dare, Russell and whoever else.

Tbh would not be surprised at all if he just trialled Michaels and Atkins for the left wing :/

Hail Sezer
20-02-13, 03:10 PM
NYC team will be playing the storm this weekend. Here is the lineup:

NYC Titans team vs Storm NYC
1 Matt Russell
2 Kurtis McDonald
3 Hymel Hunt
4 Mitchum Ardler
5 Tavita Folau
6 Matt Beddow
7 Jamal Fogarty
8 Caleb Binge
9 Matt Applebee
10 Francis Veukiso
11 Sam Johnson
12 Kyle McConnell
13 Sam Gee

Interchange
14 Zach Friend
15 Mitchell Hall
16 Oliver Percy
17 Doug Faaiu
18 Richard Tuala
19 Sam Harrold
20 Ryan Diffey
21 Jared Teo

TITAN PETE
20-02-13, 06:02 PM
Bird eager to lead by example
Adam Gardini
Wednesday 20 February 2013 1:16 PM

iSelect Titans forward Greg Bird says he is looking forward to tackling his new role as Co-Captain when he lines up in club colours for the first time in 2013 on Saturday night.
Bird has been named as a confirmed starter for Saturday night’s final trial match against the North Queensland Cowboys in Mackay, as Coach Cartwright looks to use the trial match as a dress rehearsal ahead of Round 1.
It will mark his first match in his new role as Co-Captain, alongside last season's Paul Broughton Medal winner, Nate Myles.
The Cowboys will field close to a full strength line-up for Saturday’s clash in Mackay and Bird is expecting another traditionally tough encounter.
The Titans were forced to take training over state lines to Cudgen today due to the wet weather on the Gold Coast, but Bird said the Titans players couldn't use the altered training preparation as an excuse.
Watch the Titans TV video to hear Bird's thoughts on his new role as Co-Captain and the Cowboys clash.

Hail Sezer
20-02-13, 07:51 PM
Harro won't be playing..copped a broken nose from Prince's swinging arm in the All Stars match. Had to have it operated on and everything

Julius Sezer
20-02-13, 08:00 PM
I remember last year when Cowboys were attacking in our own 10 for about 10 mins and they still couldn't crack us. Those moments bring tears to my eyes. If we can get a win against the Cows this weekend ill be very confident for this season.

teke
20-02-13, 10:07 PM
Nothing scary about that Cowboys side. Same team that has come up short the last 2 yrs. They failed to beat us last yr

Supergoose
21-02-13, 12:57 AM
Cowboys are definitely a top 4 team in my mind and if we can get wins over them this season then that will mean we're running along nicely and will be looking at a finals berth. They may have come up short but it wasn't by much in 2012. They will be very good with a lot of their young players still on the improve. If Tariq stays fit and Taumalolo keeps improving they will be a scary unit. Hooker is the big unknown for them but if they find a half decent one they'll be in the top echelon for sure.

Hail Sezer
21-02-13, 08:15 AM
Greg Bird says Titans have their own Thurston in Albert Kelly

TITANS co-captain Greg Bird has likened halfback Albert Kelly to Origin star Johnathan Thurston as the Gold Coast's new No. 7 prepares to come up against the Test shot-caller.

Kelly will get his final opportunity to sew up Scott Prince's old jersey in a pre-season trial against the Cowboys in Mackay on Saturday night.

He is likely to come up against Queensland ace Johnathan Thurston in what will be the Gold Coast's final hit-out before a round 1 trip to Cronulla.

Kelly and Aidan Sezer have been earmarked as the Gold Coast's new halves combination after Prince left for the Brisbane Broncos and Bird said the 21-year-old reminded him of Thurston.

"It's a good test. I think they're very similar players," he said. "Albi's got a hell of a long way to go to come up to that class but they're very similar in the style they play.

"They play a lot off-the-cuff. You blink and you'll miss them. You have to be aware all the time when you're on his team.

"Playing with JT is exactly the same. When he sees an opportunity he's going to go for it and you have to make sure you're pushing through helping him."

Kelly has been impressive in the club's two trial wins over New Zealand and Brisbane and linked well with Sezer in the 40 minutes they played together.

The Titans will field a stronger team against the Cowboys, allowing Kelly to play off the back of a star forward pack including Nate Myles, Luke Bailey and Bird.

Bird said Kelly would flourish behind a strong engine room and he urged the 14-game rookie to continue his natural style of play.

"It's going to be a good test for him with the extra experience in the forward pack to level the youth and enthusiasm out a bit," Bird said.

"There's always room in rugby league for those sort of players. As the years go by, you see less and less of them because of the Melbourne dominance.

"The way they've dominated teams is by pure structure. Other teams are going that way but not every team has got those players.

"You've got to play to your strengths. The Cowboys do it up there and Ben Barba did the same thing.

"We'll be doing the best to give Albi every opportunity to find space."

Coach John Cartwright will today name his squad for the trial with Mark Minichiello (ankle) and Ryan James (groin) battling minor injuries and no certainties to play.

Rugby union convert Mark O'Dare has been dropped from the NRL squad and will filter back to the Queensland Cup.

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport/nrl/greg-bird-says-titans-have-their-own-thurston-in-albert-kelly/story-e6frep7o-1226582195667

Wouldn't advise clicking the link unless you want to hear Ben Ikin and Paul Kent instantly deeming us as a bottom 4 team

Hail Sezer
21-02-13, 08:59 AM
Soo O'Dare got 20 minutes game time to earn a contract? His defensive lapses were pretty well justified by multiple people on the forum. Bit of a shame really.

Surely there must have been something at training which indicated he wasn't ready for NRL yet.

Hail Sezer
21-02-13, 10:15 AM
The full trial squad is listed below:

Titans vs Cowboys
7.30pm - Saturday, February 23
Virgin Australia Stadium, Mackay

1. William Zillman
2. Anthony Don
3. Kevin Gordon
4. Jamal Idris
5. David Mead
6. Aidan Sezer
7. Albert Kelly
8. Luke Douglas
9. Matt Srama
10. Nate Myles
11. Greg Bird
12. David Taylor
13. Ben Ridge

Interchange
14. Luke Bailey
15. Ryan James
16. Mark Minichiello
17. Luke O'Dwyer
18. Jordan Rankin
19. Brad Takairangi
20. Sam Irwin
21. Steve Michaels

DavidBouveng
21-02-13, 10:25 AM
I think that will be similar top 13 to our round one team.

Only harro in for Ridge, who would go to the bench.

Not saying I'm 100% sure Gordon / Don is the best left side possible, but it does seem that's how well start the year.

karnage
21-02-13, 10:26 AM
It's a relief to see no Beau Henry in the squad.

TITAN PETE
21-02-13, 10:45 AM
It's a relief to see no Beau Henry in the squad.

Agree with that mate , i don't see how he earns a spot when the only thing he does better than anyone else is putting up a high bomb :nope:

Fantastic to see Bails on the bench, it makes a round 1 start more likely now.

Almost our strongest side ,Great Forward Pack:thumbsup:

Titan Dad
21-02-13, 10:57 AM
Hey Titan Pete, is there any more news on whether JAMES or MINI are playing.

I was hoping JAMES would of got through his sore groin issue for a good trial hit out.

Looks a very strong side we are taking and I think we could get the money up there:banana:

Toads
21-02-13, 11:07 AM
Fantastic to see Bails on the bench, it makes a round 1 start more likely now.

Indeed, I was stoked to see Bails named to come off the bench. it'll stir him up more 'n his presence will be noticed by all when takes to the paddock.

Probably a better impact player, than what Taylor would be coming off the bench

Mr Stupid
21-02-13, 11:20 AM
I watched the video. What do commentators like Ikin and Kent see in our squad to rate us so poorly? Is this it? Is this how those who don't know what we know see our players in terms of NRL standards? I dont know but i cant fathom why others (like the bookies) dont see us achieving.

1. William Zillman average
2. Anthony Don untested
3. Kevin Gordon average
4. Jamal Idris good
5. David Mead average
6. Aidan Sezer inexperienced
7. Albert Kelly untested
8. Luke Douglas good
9. Matt Srama inexperienced
10. Nate Myles V. Good
11. Greg Bird V. Good
12. David Taylor Good
13. Ben Ridge average

Interchange
14. Luke Bailey Good/old
15. Ryan James average
16. Mark Minichiello average
17. Luke O'Dwyer average
18. Jordan Rankin average
19. Brad Takairangi inexperienced
20. Sam Irwin untested
21. Steve Michaels poor/average

Big Dan
21-02-13, 11:47 AM
Soo O'Dare got 20 minutes game time to earn a contract? His defensive lapses were pretty well justified by multiple people on the forum. Bit of a shame really.

Surely there must have been something at training which indicated he wasn't ready for NRL yet.

O Dare is a Fullback and I see him as tha answer long term to our centre problems.I don't believe he was given a good go in the trials.With limited opportunities in the game against warriors he scored twice.He played with a. Back rower inside of him who rushed off the line forcing O Dare up.A winger can be made to look silly when you have to contend with this.He only received the back end of the Broncos game 20mins by all reports his positional play good outside Micheals.This kid O Dare needs game time to get use to Rugby League playing for the bears will allow this to happen.For the record O Dare will go to the Qld and with confidence take the comp apart.But to suggest this kid has not got what it takes it to make it based on what we have seen so far is foolhardy.
Me

TITAN PETE
21-02-13, 12:16 PM
Hey Titan Pete, is there any more news on whether JAMES or MINI are playing.

I was hoping JAMES would of got through his sore groin issue for a good trial hit out.

Looks a very strong side we are taking and I think we could get the money up there:banana:

Both players are named in the squad

Titanic
21-02-13, 12:19 PM
The prop debate is solved for the season with Myles starting against the best 2 props in the country. Cartwright will use him in the prop rotation again.

O'Dare needs time in the QCup and why not? There were several likely candidates and someone was going to be disappointed. I, for one, backed him in and I look forward to him proving the coach wrong.

Every other "expert" reckons we are disorganised and that is why they rank us so low. We have the players but do we have the plays? It's something we have debated on here for years.

Tamwelg
21-02-13, 01:07 PM
The prop debate is solved for the season with Myles starting against the best 2 props in the country. Cartwright will use him in the prop rotation again.

I didn't think there was a debate, this was always going to be the case.

O'Dare needs time in the QCup and why not? There were several likely candidates and someone was going to be disappointed. I, for one, backed him in and I look forward to him proving the coach wrong.

Agreed, well said.

Every other "expert" reckons we are disorganised and that is why they rank us so low. We have the players but do we have the plays? It's something we have debated on here for years.

We have not given the critics any reason to put us anywhere but toward the bottom of the ladder. With the side we've got if we don't start pushing up the ladder, then they have to look outside the players for results, but in saying that we have a young spine in 2013 and anything is possible.

Tamwelg
21-02-13, 01:07 PM
Nice looking side, no surprises there. They should give the cows a touch up.

Boofhead
21-02-13, 03:18 PM
Good to see Ridge getting a start at lock.

This time last year it would of been O'Dwyer.

Titanic
21-02-13, 03:25 PM
The other point of interest is no Falloon.

teke
21-02-13, 03:40 PM
Good looking side.

Im happy with the one hooker, that's all this team needs.

DavidBouveng
21-02-13, 05:09 PM
I Think falloon picked up a pec injury or something lastweek. I remember thinking when I read it that Srama's supercoach stocks just went up.

Supergoose
21-02-13, 05:47 PM
This should be a great clash and I expect both the Titans and Cowboys to finish in the eight. I reckon the Broncos may struggle to make it, but it should be a good year for the Qld sides. I still think Falloon adds spark to our team when he comes on and is worth having on around half time and at the back end of the game. His position on the bench means we have cover in the backline where Srama or Falloon can go to half and Kelly can fill in elsewhere. Not ideal but Kelly has the game to be able to play anywhere in the halves or backs and would be our best utility. If not we will see Taylor and Bird being used out in the centres to cover injury with Gordon and Mead being shuffled around.

With our forwards able to play big minutes I think it is important that the final bench spot be able to cover injury in the backs, but also be useful if there is no injury - Falloon gives us that.

Looks like Don has secured the wing position with Kevvie in the centres. Really interested to see how they go against Tate and Graham.

teke
21-02-13, 06:12 PM
2 ok hookers means one good bench player misses out and that cannot happen.

Julius Sezer
21-02-13, 07:08 PM
I respect Bird's opinion highly

Supergoose
21-02-13, 07:27 PM
2 ok hookers means one good bench player misses out and that cannot happen.

If it is between Minichiello or Falloon - I choose Falloon. I wouldn't lose James or Ridge off the bench and Bailey or Douglas is the other I'd have on there. You need strike power off the bench and I reckon you get more out of Falloon than almost any other player we have coming off the bench. The number of tries he scored in limited opportunity shows how dangerous he is.

Titanic
21-02-13, 08:00 PM
I like Takairangi because he covers the backrow and our "anybody's guess" centres.

teke
21-02-13, 10:09 PM
If it is between Minichiello or Falloon - I choose Falloon. I wouldn't lose James or Ridge off the bench and Bailey or Douglas is the other I'd have on there. You need strike power off the bench and I reckon you get more out of Falloon than almost any other player we have coming off the bench. The number of tries he scored in limited opportunity shows how dangerous he is.Falloon is hardly what u call strike power, you would get more out of taka, mini or ioane.

Supergoose
21-02-13, 10:16 PM
Falloon is hardly what u call strike power, you would get more out of taka, mini or ioane.

Taka maybe and maybe Mini, but the type of strike I'm talking about is different. It's the one that puts the opposition into panic mode because of the speed out of dummy half. It's a quickness thing. Falloon is also a good low tackler who can scramble when the team is getting tired. I reckon a lot of us on here underestimate his ability and what he brings to the team. With the others, we get more of the same and they start to get in each others way.

teke
21-02-13, 10:32 PM
Taka maybe and maybe Mini, but the type of strike I'm talking about is different. It's the one that puts the opposition into panic mode because of the speed out of dummy half. It's a quickness thing. Falloon is also a good low tackler who can scramble when the team is getting tired. I reckon a lot of us on here underestimate his ability and what he brings to the team. With the others, we get more of the same and they start to get in each others way.I don't mind Beau I just don't think he brings the Isaac Luke injection needed from a bench hooker

gc chippy
23-02-13, 12:36 PM
G'Day Titans Fans,

Does anyone know if the Titans v Cowboys trial match will be on telly?

Cheers,

Boofhead
23-02-13, 12:45 PM
G'Day Titans Fans,

Does anyone know if the Titans v Cowboys trial match will be on telly?

Cheers,

Hey mate. Unless there is an online stream somewhere, there is no broadcast of the game on television tonight.

DavidBouveng
23-02-13, 03:49 PM
In today's paper carty says he is definitely going with 2 hookers again.

Mentions Srama's longevity and helping him out, while also saying falloon is really good and worthy of starting himself.

Jamal's Hamstring
23-02-13, 03:59 PM
Very curious to see how this pans out. Our forward pack is hard to fault but I wonder if the same ol' problem of a lack of attacking creativity will rear it's head again.

Trials don't tell us much but I think the Cowboys side will prove to be a legit chance through the year.

DavidBouveng
23-02-13, 04:03 PM
Very curious to see how this pans out. Our forward pack is hard to fault but I wonder if the same ol' problem of a lack of attacking creativity will rear it's head again.

Trials don't tell us much but I think the Cowboys side will prove to be a legit chance through the year.

welcome back JH, havent seen you for a little whiles.

i thought you might have disappeared along with jamals belly and jamals backside.

gothabull
23-02-13, 06:14 PM
Donkeys and warriors trial on now live fox 3 wish they broadcast all trials

Hail Sezer
23-02-13, 06:53 PM
Nyc team had a 26 all draw with the storm

Hail Sezer
23-02-13, 08:04 PM
Bailey is now starting at prop with Myles shifting to lock and Ridge to the bench

Titanic
23-02-13, 08:08 PM
Daily Mercury promised live updates but looks like that's not happening ... anybody up there?

Hail Sezer
23-02-13, 08:11 PM
Daily Mercury promised live updates but looks like that's not happening ... anybody up there?

I'll keep the forum posted on updates received via the Titans twitter. For anyone who wants them directly you can receive them from here:

https://twitter.com/GCTitans

Also, the Cowboys twitter:
https://twitter.com/nthqldcowboys

Hail Sezer
23-02-13, 08:41 PM
Underway

Titans get a penalty in the first set and will launch the first serious attack.

Hail Sezer
23-02-13, 08:43 PM
Try to the Titans. 90m runaway by David Mead off a Cowboys error. 4-0

Hail Sezer
23-02-13, 08:45 PM
Sezer converts for a 6-0 lead to the Titans after 7 minutes.

Hail Sezer
23-02-13, 08:48 PM
Ash Graham plonks the ball over the line but his foot was on the sideline. No try. Still 6-0.

Hail Sezer
23-02-13, 08:50 PM
More pressure coming after back-to-back penalties to the Coast

Hail Sezer
23-02-13, 08:57 PM
19 gone - Titans 6 lead Cowboys 0.

Jamal's Hamstring
23-02-13, 08:58 PM
welcome back JH, havent seen you for a little whiles.

i thought you might have disappeared along with jamals belly and jamals backside.

Thanks mate. I spent my summer whinging about the state of cricket in this country... can't say I remember seeing such a poor showing.

I tried to drop in from time to time and ask if I could have my jar of piss back but apparently no one found it funny.

Thanks to Hail Sezer for the updates.

Hail Sezer
23-02-13, 08:58 PM
Try Cowboys! Ashton Sims rumbles in with his first touch after coming on. Titans claims of obstruction rejected by ref Matt Cecchin 6-4

edit: excuse the enthusiasm, cowboys twitter posted it

Hail Sezer
23-02-13, 09:01 PM
Thanks mate. I spent my summer whinging about the state of cricket in this country... can't say I remember seeing such a poor showing.

I tried to drop in from time to time and ask if I could have my jar of piss back but apparently no one found it funny.

Thanks to Hail Sezer for the updates.

Hahahaha I found it funny mate, dont stress

DIEHARD
23-02-13, 09:06 PM
Let's do this.

Hail Sezer
23-02-13, 09:12 PM
Try Cowboys to kalifa Faifai Loa 10-6

Hail Sezer
23-02-13, 09:15 PM
Plenty of hands in the spread left for Kalifa Faifai Loa to dive in. Mango missed the sideline conversion. Cowboys 10-6 after 36

Hail Sezer
23-02-13, 09:16 PM
Antonio Winterstein is held up before the Titans are forced into another drop-out seconds before HT.

Hail Sezer
23-02-13, 09:18 PM
Halftime here in Mackay. Cowboys lead 10-6.

Hail Sezer
23-02-13, 09:27 PM
Kevin Gordon (minor knee injury) and Albert Kelly (hip) are unlikely to be back out for the second half.

DavidBouveng
23-02-13, 09:31 PM
oh oh, injury to KG. hope it really is minor

wonder who plays centre second half

Hail Sezer
23-02-13, 09:32 PM
Titans get the first penalty of the second half.. 30m out

Jamal's Hamstring
23-02-13, 09:33 PM
Gladly give back the penalty if someone can wave the 'get well soon wand' over KG and Kelly.

Hail Sezer
23-02-13, 09:34 PM
Try to the Titans. Ryan James reaches out close to the line to level up at 10-all.

Hail Sezer
23-02-13, 09:34 PM
Aidan Sezer converts to give the Titans the lead at 12-10 with 35 mins remaining.

DIEHARD
23-02-13, 09:37 PM
Good to hear we are in front, would have loved to have seen Ryan's try.

Hope Gordon and Kelly are ok. Precautionary Im sure.

Hail Sezer
23-02-13, 09:38 PM
Cowboys on the attack in Titans 20m zone after a Titans error.

Hail Sezer
23-02-13, 09:44 PM
Some great work by Anthony Don tidying up kicks at the back.

Hail Sezer
23-02-13, 09:44 PM
William Zillman copped a head knock and won't be back tonight. Titans lead 12-10 with 25 mins remaining.

DavidBouveng
23-02-13, 09:50 PM
a grinding win against a good side is more than we could hope for in a trial.

all contributes to confidence and closing out matches

Hail Sezer
23-02-13, 09:53 PM
21 to go - Titans up 12-10.

DavidBouveng
23-02-13, 09:58 PM
alby back on the park. hail Sezer went into town to hassle womenz, so ive taken over in his absence

teke
23-02-13, 10:00 PM
I will take over DB mead into fullback and is carving. Serious head knock to zilly will see him out for the season :)

DIEHARD
23-02-13, 10:01 PM
Hang in there Titans!!!! I really want this win. Even if its a trial, don't drop off guys.

Titanic
23-02-13, 10:03 PM
Kelly puts Bird in 16-10 kick to come ... c'mon boys!

gothabull
23-02-13, 10:03 PM
Great commentary guys luv it better than Roy an hg

Smakked
23-02-13, 10:04 PM
SOunds like a good game

DavidBouveng
try to birdman. kelly sets it up. 16-10 kick to come

teke
Kelly puts Bird in 16-10 kick to come ... c'mon boys!Thats sad when a Chinese dude gets the updates before me

Titanic
Sezer's kick ..... wide :-( ... 5 to go

Jamal's Hamstring
On that note, I'm turning in.

See you in a couple of weeks lads.

DavidBouveng
kick missed. 16-10 5 mins left.

Titanic
23-02-13, 10:05 PM
Thats sad when a Chinese dude gets the updates before me

That's a dude in China thanks :laugh: with a Chinese wife ;) and a rugby league habit.

Titanic
23-02-13, 10:08 PM
Idris in off a Kelly grubber ... Kick over ... 22-10 2 to go ... yee haa Cows!

DavidBouveng
23-02-13, 10:08 PM
alby has it on a string!

Titanic
23-02-13, 10:09 PM
Scott who? ... sounds like a prince of a toilet tissue.

Titanic
23-02-13, 10:10 PM
Sam Irwin in on the bell ... clean sweep chaps ... what a night!

DIEHARD
23-02-13, 10:10 PM
Hell yea! Love this explosion of points late in the game. Well done lads!!!

Titanic
23-02-13, 10:12 PM
Sezer adds the 2 and that's all she wrote ... for now. 28-10 should please everybody south of Logan ... gee that Cartwright can coach, lmao.

Daily Mercury gave up posting once James scored ... typical :-)

gothabull
23-02-13, 10:14 PM
Titans are deadly yeeewwww

DavidBouveng
23-02-13, 10:15 PM
without getting carried away its been a good pre season, good trials. ppl who say trial form isnt important are usually losing trials.

we have built our team through the three trials and developed each outing.

bravo!

bring on the gummies

Tamwelg
23-02-13, 10:15 PM
Hell yea! Love this explosion of points late in the game. Well done lads!!!

Especially when it's usually us leaking them at the back end.

Titanic
23-02-13, 10:19 PM
Imagine having a half with vision and creativity giving those big blokes somewhere to run to? Love it. Post match reports will be very interesting.

DIEHARD
23-02-13, 10:19 PM
FULLTIME: Gold Coast Titans 28 beat North Queensland Cowboys 10 at Virgin Australia Stadium, Mackay.

DavidBouveng
23-02-13, 10:30 PM
Imagine having a half with vision and creativity giving those big blokes somewhere to run to? Love it. Post match reports will be very interesting.

best thing about Alby Carving up is that we were all worried that Sezer was going to have to shoulder the load. seems like he will take a tonne of pressure off Sezer and we will have dual threats in the halves...

Julius and the Albertross! Titans 2013!

Toads
23-02-13, 11:19 PM
without getting carried away its been a good pre season, good trials. ppl who say trial form isnt important are usually losing trials.

we have built our team through the three trials and developed each outing.

bravo!

bring on the gummies

Keep in mind. I think we one all the Trials last year, and even Round 1. Then we went bum up for the next 4-5 games..

Quietly optimistic that won't be the case in 2013.. :)

Hail Sezer
23-02-13, 11:26 PM
Happy with the result. Sounds like we had no serious injuries as well which is the most important thing.

Bring on rd 1!

P.s sorry I died off the updates guys, had to head out for a bit.

DIEHARD
23-02-13, 11:26 PM
Titans too strong for Cowboys in Mackay
Adam Gardini

The iSelect Gold Coast Titans have registerd their third straight win of the pre-season with a 28-10 trial match victory over the North Queensland Cowboys in Mackay tonight.

Following on from earlier trial match wins against the Warriors and Broncos, the Titans kept their pre-season record in tact with a gritty victory over the Cowboys.

The Titans trailed 10-6 at halftime but finished the match full of running with four second half tries, having earlier absorbed a string of pressure from the Cowboys.

Halfback Albert Kelly recovered from a hip injury suffered at halftime to help orchestrate vital second half tries for Co-Captain Greg Bird and Jamal Idris.
Forward Ryan James and interchange hooker Sam Irwin provided the other second half tries as the Titans ran away with the match

Winger David Mead opened the scoring with a spectacular 90m intercept try in which he beat three defenders on the way to the line.

However, the Cowboys hit back with two tries to hold the advantage at the break.

Winger Kevin Gordon suffered a suspected medial ligament strain during the first half and did not return for the second half, however, it is not thought to be serious.

Fullback William ZIllman also suffered a head knock late in the opening half and did not return.

Source: http://www.titans.com.au

TITAN PETE
24-02-13, 07:26 AM
Missing Johnathan Thurston, North Queensland Cowboys were thrashed by an almost full strength Gold Coast Titans 28-10 in their NRL trial in Mackay on Saturday night.

Thurston will go into the 2013 NRL season with just one game under his belt after succumbing to the hand injury he suffered in the February 9 All Stars clash.

The Test pivot was named on an extended bench but North Queensland coach Neil Henry opted to hand Ray Thompson the No.6 jersey.

The Cowboys later dismissed fears that trump card Thurston was in danger of missing the NRL season opener against the Bulldogs in less than a fortnight.

While the Cowboys looked disjointed without their playmaker, the Titans boasted a near full strength line-up lacking just Queensland Origin backrower Ashley Harrison (broken nose) and hooker Beau Falloon (knee).

The Titans got off to a dream start in front of a heavily pro-Cowboys crowd after winger David Mead ran almost the length of the field to score an intercept try in the first five minutes.

The crowd were on their feet again when Titans recruit David Taylor nailed Cowboys forward Dallas Johnson with the now banned shoulder charge and North Queensland scored soon after the ensuing penalty through Ashton Sims.

Winger Kalifa Faifai Loa scored after great lead-up work by Brent Tate and Ash Graham to give the Cowboys a 10-6 lead at the break.

However, the Titans - led by impressive halfback hopeful Albert Kelly - hit back hard in the second half, running in four tries to one including three in the final 10 minutes.

Cowboys halfback Robert Lui also had his moments in a scrappy display from both teams.

Titans prop Luke Bailey was promoted to the starting line-up for the trial, marking his first appearance in Gold Coast colours since tearing an Achilles in round 23 last year.

TITAN PETE
24-02-13, 07:28 AM
I think the most important part of the win was keeping them scoreless in the 2nd half but didn't know until now that JT didn't play at all..

TitanFan13
24-02-13, 09:57 AM
Hey guys, how did Bird go? Did he play 80 minutes and did he do a lot in defense?

gothabull
24-02-13, 10:00 AM
Just checking the reaction on cows forum from fans our spine is looking pretty good and better than what the vast majority think. On a funny note James tamou apparently had his twitter hacked lol or he has trouble

Julius Sezer
24-02-13, 10:01 AM
I think the most important part of the win was keeping them scoreless in the 2nd half but didn't know until now that JT didn't play at all..

I think it didn't really matter if JT played or not. The main thing is that we were able to score 6 tries against an defensive outfit that boasted the likes of Dallas Johnson, Glann Hall, Gavin Cooper, James Tamou, Matt Scott, Tariq Sims, Taumalolo. Goes to show that we can score more tries then we did last year. Things are looking positive.

Hail Sezer
24-02-13, 10:22 AM
Does anyone know how Don and Kevin Gordon went?

Toads
24-02-13, 10:25 AM
I think it didn't really matter if JT played or not. The main thing is that we were able to score 6 tries against an defensive outfit that boasted the likes of Dallas Johnson, Glann Hall, Gavin Cooper, James Tamou, Matt Scott, Tariq Sims, Taumalolo. Goes to show that we can score more tries then we did last year. Things are looking positive.

On the flipside. It seems Cowboys (last night) was Structured the same as we have for the last couple of years. Which is a great Forward pack, but with a sub-standard spine. Even to hear we went over 3 times in the last 10 minutes sounds true to our previous years form, where our defense has dropped off previously in the last 10 minutes of a few games.

So yeah, It seems the Cowboys not having JT there last night may have been the main factor in the overall outcome..

Toads
24-02-13, 10:27 AM
Double post..

Julius Sezer
24-02-13, 10:42 AM
On the flipside. It seems Cowboys (last night) was Structured the same as we have for the last couple of years. Which is a great Forward pack, but with a sub-standard spine. Even to hear we went over 3 times in the last 10 minutes sounds true to our previous years form, where our defense has dropped off previously in the last 10 minutes of a few games.

So yeah, It seems the Cowboys not having JT there last night may have been the main factor in the overall outcome..

JT not being there doesn't affect their defensive efforts...

gothabull
24-02-13, 10:45 AM
I think Bowen was pulled off in the last 10 mins

david may
24-02-13, 11:58 AM
I was really pleased how we played. Tricky conditions to play in and bothe sides struggled to hang on to the ball at times with the humidity.

Apart from the last twenty of the first half where we struggled with a lack of possession and a number of key players coming off for injuries or rotation, we looked solid defensively, a threat going forward and very fit.

I don't like to single players out, but am sure some others can add a view.

To answer a specific question on Anthony don and Kevin g. They both played well. Anthony didnt get a lot of attacking ball but when he did he looked dangerous. He was rock solid in defence and looked very very comfortable under the high ball.

I'm one of Kevin's biggest fans and he looked terrific on the ball. That pace he has is electric and he threatened every time on the ball. Not a worry in defence either.

Titanic
24-02-13, 01:34 PM
David, what happened when Zillman went off? At what stage did that happen, what was the reshuffle and their performances?

TITAN PETE
24-02-13, 01:37 PM
David, what happened when Zillman went off? At what stage did that happen, what was the reshuffle and their performances?

20 minute mark , Mead went to the back & was near the best on the park, Michaels to wing with a solid performance

Toads
24-02-13, 02:30 PM
JT not being there doesn't affect their defensive efforts...

Fair Call.. So what has been our problem been for the last couple of years then? We sure as ****, have some big names in our Squad..

Titanic
24-02-13, 03:15 PM
20 minute mark , Mead went to the back & was near the best on the park, Michaels to wing with a solid performance

I had to look twice to see who posted this :) so I assuming that was Michaels on the right? Is it possible that we will see:

1. Mead
2. O'Dare (left)
3. Gordon
4. Idris
5. Don (right)

fantasy only fellas.

teke
24-02-13, 04:04 PM
I had to look twice to see who posted this :) .Stfu :laugh:

Review from one of my mates at the game said Titans didnt play that well but the defence was pretty dam good. Alot of dropped ball cause it was like a cake of soap.

Kelly played really well.

Ole Mead managed to run near 100mtr while being totally stuffed :D

I wanna see the highlights but nothing has popped up yet

david may
24-02-13, 05:04 PM
I believe Kevin Gordon (medial ligament strain) zilly (head knock) and bull (rotation) all went off - meady went to fullback Stevie michaels to wing. And during that period of readjustment Albie went off too - so we had in the space of about ten minutes a new halfback and a new full back and then Stevie michaels took a head knock too.

I was at that point wondering if we would have enough backs. And we struggled to adjust for a few minutes.

Not much of a game analyst am I?

david may
24-02-13, 05:13 PM
Stfu :laugh:

Review from one of my mates at the game said Titans didnt play that well but the defence was pretty dam good. Alot of dropped ball cause it was like a cake of soap.

Kelly played really well.

Ole Mead managed to run near 100mtr while being totally stuffed :D

I wanna see the highlights but nothing has popped up yet
Noticed last season that people seemed to say when we won that it was because the other team played badly...

I think we actually played quite well for 55 - 60 mins barring the last 20 - 25mins of the first half. It got a bit scrappy because handling was tough in the humidity.

But even when we struggled to hold onto the ball our defence was very solid.

To beat the cowboys 18-0 in the second half. Jt or no jt. Has to be a good performance I think.

Julius Sezer
24-02-13, 05:23 PM
To beat the cowboys 18-0 in the second half. Jt or no jt. Has to be a good performance I think.

I agree. The Cows are strong in defence and im happy we could crack their defence quite a number of times. All we need to do is hold onto the footy and not give away stupid penalties and we are set.

DavidBouveng
24-02-13, 05:35 PM
I believe that when we beat teams last year it was cos they played bad.

I also believe we put those teams off their game, forcing them to play bad, through a blend of defense, aggression and ball control that we didn't display often enough / at all early in the season

Big Dan
24-02-13, 09:47 PM
I had to look twice to see who posted this :) so I assuming that was Michaels on the right? Is it possible that we will see:

1. Mead
2. O'Dare (left)
3. Gordon
4. Idris
5. Don (right)

fantasy only fellas.

MAKES SENSE GREAT BACKLINE.ANY NEWS ON O DARE AT BURLEIGH BEARS OVER WEEKEND I HEAR HE HAD GAME TIME AT LEFT CENRE AND WAS A STANDOUT.

shamus
25-02-13, 12:39 AM

Hey Titanic......I will leave this one to you :D

teke
25-02-13, 01:00 AM
Id say it will be Michaels coming into left centre.

Simple swap and keeps everyone in their positions.

Odare needs many weeks getting use to Q Cup before he tackles the big boys

gothabull
25-02-13, 05:29 AM
My apologies wasn't sure if it was true just was excited for the win looking for any information on the game

Titanic
25-02-13, 11:02 AM
Originally Posted by gothabull

Yep, he was pulled off by Tamou and then shot through a hole in the middle.

gothabull
25-02-13, 11:44 AM
Yep, he was pulled off by Tamou and then shot through a hole in the middle.
sick puppies:laugh:

Hail Sezer
26-02-13, 03:20 PM
Highlights are here:

http://www.titans.com.au/news-display/Match-highlights-Titans-vs-Cowboys/68930

Titan Dad
26-02-13, 04:06 PM
MAKES SENSE GREAT BACKLINE.ANY NEWS ON O DARE AT BURLEIGH BEARS OVER WEEKEND I HEAR HE HAD GAME TIME AT LEFT CENRE AND WAS A STANDOUT.

O'DARE played mostly on the wing with very little ball coming his way. WOW this kid is quick. He was in the centres for a short time which gave him a bit of room to move and he looked very comfortable there.

Late in the game he was on the wing and was given about 1\2 a meter room and left them in his dust with his blistering speed (the rumours of his speed are not exagerated, he is lightning quick off the mark and seems to get faster as he lengthens out.) to score the final try.

This kid is GOOD...

IOANE and PAGE led from the front with Mark scoring a good try after his fellow front rower PAGE charged the ball up hard and got a fast play the ball away where MARK had plenty of work to get through to score. The TITAN boys looked very good.

Tamwelg
26-02-13, 04:27 PM
Thanks for the updates Titan dad good to hear the Titans boys went well, Burleigh will be a strong side this year.

Hail Sezer
26-02-13, 04:32 PM
Pleasing to hear about odare playing well. He will only get better as he learns the game.

Big Dan
26-02-13, 07:48 PM
O'DARE played mostly on the wing with very little ball coming his way. WOW this kid is quick. He was in the centres for a short time which gave him a bit of room to move and he looked very comfortable there.

Late in the game he was on the wing and was given about 1\2 a meter room and left them in his dust with his blistering speed (the rumours of his speed are not exagerated, he is lightning quick off the mark and seems to get faster as he lengthens out.) to score the final try.

This kid is GOOD...

IOANE and PAGE led from the front with Mark scoring a good try after his fellow front rower PAGE charged the ball up hard and got a fast play the Iaoneball away where MARK had plenty of work to get through to score. The TITAN boys looked very good.

Titain Dad love your update on the Titain boys playing for the Burleigh Bears great to hear about O dare and ioane.Your commentary of O Dare sounds just like what he has shown on You Tube hopefully they give this kid some time in the centres or fullback and just don't leave him on the wing like a lowes dummy.Really looking forward to what this kid can do in the future.Ioane love the way he takes the ball up he will be a really handy player in the future.

DavidBouveng
26-02-13, 07:56 PM
theres enough good young guys ocming through to make me want to go watch some burleigh games this year.

Smakked
26-02-13, 10:09 PM
theres enough good young guys ocming through to make me want to go watch some burleigh games this year.

SOunds like a plan , might become a member aswell

teke
26-02-13, 10:13 PM
Titain Dad love your update on the Titain boys playing for the Burleigh Bears great to hear about O dare and ioane.Your commentary of O Dare sounds just like what he has shown on You Tube hopefully they give this kid some time in the centres or fullback and just don't leave him on the wing like a lowes dummy.Really looking forward to what this kid can do in the future.Ioane love the way he takes the ball up he will be a really handy player in the future.is Odare your son or at least a relative. ?

Hail Sezer
26-02-13, 10:26 PM
is Odare your son or at least a relative. ?

If he is then maybe odare and your son david mead can hang out? lol no hate but surely it wouldn't hurt to say something nice about odare for once or have the slightest bit of faith in him. He's one player I'm really looking forward to seeing develop. who knows, he may replace mead on the wing when meady moves to fullback:thumbsup:

teke
27-02-13, 12:07 AM
If he is then maybe odare and your son david mead can hang out? lol no hate but surely it wouldn't hurt to say something nice about odare for once or have the slightest bit of faith in him. He's one player I'm really looking forward to seeing develop. who knows, he may replace mead on the wing when meady moves to fullback:thumbsup:When have I said anything against him? I told DB I want him to go good.

Mead will be fullback in the World Cup :thumbsup:

Titanic
27-02-13, 12:52 AM
We've all got our favorites and that's great ... why hide it? You all know mine are fourex, meat pies and the coach.

teke
27-02-13, 01:27 AM
We've all got our favorites and that's great ... why hide it? You all know mine are fourex, meat pies and the coach.My Fav footy players started with Ole Rowdy Shearer, then Blacklock, then Wesser, I like me exciting players...

Just curious to know if Big D is related to Little O'd,

shamus
27-02-13, 02:23 AM
We've all got our favourites and that's great ... why hide it? You all know mine are fourex, meat pies and the coach.

:rolf: Mine, many many years ago was the 4 'B's..

Beer, Bourbon, Boobs and Bongs...(Not neccessilary in that order)

Now it is just the former..:drinkies: :frown:

Sorry.....off topic....

Titanic
27-02-13, 03:12 AM
if you can remember those days then you really didn't have a good time

Smakked
27-02-13, 03:58 AM
if you can remember those days then you really didn't have a good time

LOL
So true
I have about 5 -6 years missing of my life. There is a big black patch in my memory from the early years

Chaos
27-02-13, 01:25 PM
My Fav footy players started with Ole Rowdy Shearer, then Blacklock, then Wesser, I like me exciting players...

You got a bit of black in you Teke?

teke
27-02-13, 02:10 PM
You got a bit of black in you Teke?:laugh:

My Dads Maori but no aboriginal.

They were 3 exciting players in their day

Big Dan
27-02-13, 04:53 PM
My Fav footy players started with Ole Rowdy Shearer, then Blacklock, then Wesser, I like me exciting players...

Who knows but I did go on the Fairstar cruises in The 1980s.

teke
27-02-13, 06:33 PM
Who knows but I did go on the Fairstar cruises in The 1980s.:laugh:

Hail Sezer
27-02-13, 08:55 PM

lol'd, well played

Hail Sezer
28-02-13, 02:04 PM
When Taka came on in this trial, did he slot in at left centre? Few reporting he will be starting there come round 1.

teke
28-02-13, 03:05 PM
When Taka came on in this trial, did he slot in at left centre? Few reporting he will be starting there come round 1.Id have him there at left centre, Kev didnt play many mins in that position and even though he didnt do anything wrong he is carrying a slight injury which wouldnt be good when it's your first time up against the big boys.