PDA

View Full Version : NRL: Broncos; Hunt to Halfback for Trial

Queenslander
05-02-06, 10:47 AM
I'm your man!
Greg Davis
05feb06
BRISBANE coach Wayne Bennett has unveiled his biggest selection shake-up since switching Darren Lockyer to five-eighth by trialling teenage star Karmichael Hunt at halfback.

The Broncos' No. 7 jersey has been a poisoned chalice for all but the great Allan Langer, but Bennett hopes Hunt will be the man to share the play-making load with Lockyer this season.

The 19-year-old will be the halfback ? and likely captain ? of the Broncos side to meet North Queensland in a trial in Rockhampton on Saturday night.

Hunt spent his first two NRL campaigns at fullback but just like Lockyer, his predecessor as Brisbane custodian, his future at the club appears to be in the halves.

Hunt has been training at halfback throughout the pre-season, with last season's No. 7 Brett Seymour recovering from a full shoulder reconstruction.

Seymour will not play in any of the club's trials and could miss the first month of the 2006 home-and-away season.

Brisbane suffered another late-season flop in 2005 and is desperate to take pressure off Lockyer by finding more attacking options.

Hunt has the kicking and passing skills to make a fist of the position, and his trademark step could also cause havoc if he takes on the defensive line.

At 186cm, he is taller than the traditional halfback but tips the scales at a similar weight to Andrew Johns, who has shown that size and strength are also important attributes at the scrumbase.

Hunt ghosted into first or second receiver to assume some of the creative duties late last year and said he had no problems with shouldering even more responsibility this season.

"I played in the halves a fair bit at junior level and I've been in there at first receiver all pre-season so I'm feeling pretty comfortable in the role," Hunt told The Sunday Mail.

"I'm looking forward to getting in there and playing a game at halfback to see how I go.

"It feels pretty natural to be in amongst the action putting on the plays and directing the blokes around the paddock.

"That's what I did in the juniors and it's all been coming back to me.

"We'll see how it goes during the trials and have a bit of fun with it."

Hunt said Brisbane assistant coach and former St George, Canberra and Wests halfback Ivan Henjak had been an invaluable resource during the pre-season.

Words of wisdom from Langer, ? now a part-time member of Brisbane's coaching staff, have also been taken on board.

Henjak has been in Hunt's ear during attacking drills in the pre-season, with the teenager appearing to relish his role as the chief playmaker.

"Ivan has been great and he really knows what he is talking about so I have been taking it all in and trying to put it all into practice," Hunt said.

"Alf came down to training last year and passed on a whole heap of hints and tips and you know they work because he was such a great player."

Hunt said he did not know what his long-term position at the Broncos might be but was keen to be in the thick of the action.

"I'm enjoying playing fullback at the Broncos but I'd like to play around the halves later on down the track because I like getting involved and getting my hands on the ball as much as possible," he said.

"Five-eighth, halfback or where ever. It doesn't bother me as long as I am in the team."

Hunt is almost certain to be named captain of the Brisbane trial side in a clear indication leadership duties could also await the teenager when Lockyer retires.

The Broncos squad includes new recruits Michael Ennis and Ben Hannant, Rockhampton products Scott Minto and Nick Kenny and NRL regulars Neville Costigan, Sam Thaiday and Leon Bott.

Hunt said it would be an honour to captain the club, even in a trial.

"To lead any Broncos team out on to the paddock would be a great thrill but Wayne has to make that call yet," he said.

"It would be a great challenge if it worked out that way but I'd be very proud to do it."

The Cowboys will also have a strong NRL contingent in their squad with Carl Webb, Brett Firman, Rod Jensen, Brenton Bowen, Jacob Lillyman and Matt Scott.

http://www.thesundaymail.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5936,18037570%255E2764,00.html

qld power
05-02-06, 10:50 AM
i say karmichael should enjoy the change of postion and be able to handle the ball alot think he should go well

Titanium_BD1103
05-02-06, 10:50 AM
I have a question about this.. I understand and actually reckon it is a good idea to have Hunt at Halfback, he is fast, capable of breaking gaps and can kick.. :D :D

Just wondering.. who is now fullback, will Leon Bott go to fullback and the Broncos have another winger come through, or maybe move a centre onto the wing and bring that youngster we saw last season at centre into the side.. ;)

DeeGan
05-02-06, 11:41 AM
Leon Bott is not a fullback - I think Nick Parfitt is deserving of a chance at the number 1 jersey if Hunt takes on the halfback role for Brisbane. I know Justin Hodges thinks he is a fullback though I don't think he is the answer either.

DeeGan

..::Coops::..
05-02-06, 12:09 PM
i would think Nick Parfitt - he is a good fullback fot the clydies. pluss i don't think hodges would want play fullback for these couple of games as he would want to show Bennett how good he is as a centre, so he can be centre not wing, with the whole berrigan - tate- hodges-centre thing happening. another option is kemp at fullback

DeeGan
05-02-06, 02:57 PM
Here is a thought - move the greatest fullbackthe modern game has seen (Lockyer) back to fullback and stick Hunt in the halves with Seymour ;)

DIEHARD
05-02-06, 03:01 PM
Hunt at half back? :sick:

Yea I'm all for Nick Parfitt getting a run at fullback.

DeeGan
05-02-06, 03:05 PM
Hunt at half back? :sick:

Yea I'm all for Nick Parfitt getting a run at fullback.

Lockyer to fullback on the proviso Hunt excels in the halves of course.

If Brisbane can find a decent halves pairing that doesn't involve Lockyer I am sure Bennett would move Lockyer back to his best position. I know, I know - Lockyer and Bennett have stated many times that five-eight is his new position though a change in thought is not something that Bennett has shirked from before.

Lockyer's best football has been played wearing the number 1 jersey - if we were afforded the chance to see him attacking from fullback again than I all for it :)

Queenslander
05-02-06, 03:08 PM
Lockyer to fullback on the proviso Hunt excels in the halves of course.

If Brisbane can find a decent halves pairing that doesn't involve Lockyer I am sure Bennett would move Lockyer back to his best position. I know, I know - Lockyer and Bennett have stated many times that five-eight is his new position though a change in thought is not something that Bennett has shirked from before.

Lockyer's best football has been played wearing the number 1 jersey - if we were afforded the chance to see him attacking from fullback again than I all for it :)

I agree, if the Hunt develops in the halves then Lockyer will most likely go back to full back. This may take a year, or as quick as state of origin; only time will tell.

DIEHARD
05-02-06, 03:12 PM
They should make the correct decision and not let pride get in the way.

If moving Darren back to fullback is what is best for Lockyer and the Broncos then that is what needs to happen.

I think we will see some big changes at the Broncos this year, I am looking forward to seeing what they may be.

Queenslander
05-02-06, 03:15 PM
They should make the correct decision and not let pride get in the way.

If moving Darren back to fullback is what is best for Lockyer and the Broncos then that is what needs to happen.

I think we will see some big changes at the Broncos this year, I am looking forward to seeing what they may be.

I dont think its about pride. Lockyer moved to 5/8 because he was the next best option and we had enough full backs to cover for Lockyer (of course none of them are better than Lockyer ;) ) Now if our halves develop enough to a point where they dont need the experience of Lockyer than he will be able to move back to where he is best.

DIEHARD
05-02-06, 03:23 PM
I certainly support and would encourage Lockyer to stay at 5/8th.

Queenslander
05-02-06, 03:25 PM
I certainly support and would encourage Lockyer to stay at 5/8th.

I dont care where he plays, he is the sort of player that can do anything and can inspire a team, and lead from the front. And 5/8 and fullback are very similar. The main difference is that one stands further back and they have different numbers ;)

Dakink
06-02-06, 10:18 AM
I think Hunt will do well at no.7 It is always an advantage having a big, stron and agile 7. Hunt is good on ihis feet and good with his hands.

I think it is a good move.

Queenslander
07-02-06, 10:18 AM
Hunt has got the great man Allan Langer's backing
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Langer likes halfback Hunt
by Scott Dickson
Tuesday February 07, 2006

FORMER champion halfback Allan Langer yesterday backed Wayne Bennett?s decision to trial Karmichael Hunt in the no.7 role, believing the teenage sensation could become the Ergon Energy Broncos? chief halfback early this season.

The Test and Origin star and current Broncos coaching staff member said Hunt possessed the qualities of a dangerous playmaker, confident he was only a few halfback trials away from becoming a permanent option at the club?s scrumbase.

But Langer, the Broncos backs co-ordinator, said switching 19-year-old Hunt from his early career fullback position was just a club experiment and could easily amount to nothing.

Hunt has been practicing in the new role during the pre-season because last season?s no.7 Brett Seymour is recovering from a full shoulder reconstruction.

Seymour will miss all trial matches and possibly the first month of the NRL season.

Hunt will have his first chance to show his halfback worth in the club?s second pre-season trial against North Queensland this Saturday night in Rockhampton.

And Langer, who has undoubtedly offered him invaluable guidance, is expecting him to impress.

?He definitely has what it takes to be a very good halfback,? the Broncos and Queensland little general said of Hunt, who was a halves regular as a junior and is still extremely keen to assume playmaking duties.

?He?s strong, has good organizational and kicking skills and a great ability to run with the ball.

?He?s also very young, confident and the type of player that loves to get the ball in his hands, a necessity for every good halfback.

?He has learnt much about playmaking during his two-year NRL career at the Broncos.

?He has done a lot of attack organizing from fullback and has also gained plenty of playmaking advice from training in the halves alongside five-eighth Darren Lockyer.

?If he ends up as the Broncos number one halfback this season then I am sure he will not let anyone down. But we will have to wait and see how he goes in the trials.?

One concern with Hunt playing at first receiver is his 186cm, 86kg size, which is larger than that of your typical sharp halfback.

But Langer refused to agree.

?Karmichael is very agile, quick and mobile, so his size will not cause his halfback ability any problems,? he said of Hunt, whose contains a deadly trademark step.

Langer said he expected Hunt to shortly threaten Seymour?s mantle as club?s first-choice halfback.

?He may not perform in the new role as good as we think he can, but I am sure with a few games under his belt he will definitely show promising signs,? he said.

?But whether he develops into the club?s first choice halfback early this season will depend on how quickly he develops in that role.

?That?s what we have got to wait and see.?

Broncos Test centre Shaun Berrigan, who has played outside Langer and fellow star halfbacks Brett Kimmorley and Craig Gower, said Hunt had the potential to make a fist of it at halfback.

?We?ve only just started doing ball sessions with Karmichael at halfback,? Berrigan said.

?But having played with Karmichael in recent seasons I know his brilliant capabilities of playing as a playmaker.

?I?m sure if he was the Broncos halfback there would be no concerns because he is a wonderful player and would handle the role.

?He has great organizational skills, and a good kicking and passing game.?

The Broncos performed team defense work yesterday morning before undergoing a weights session later in the afternoon at Red Hill.

http://www.broncos.com.au/index.cfm?TopMenuID=266&MenuID=296&NewsID=2554

DeeGan
07-02-06, 10:45 AM
How is Brett Seymour feeling right now? Not overly good right now I bet.