PDA

View Full Version : NRL: Anderson keen to coach Knights

Queenslander
05-02-06, 10:44 AM
FORMER Test coach Chris Anderson has confirmed himself as a shock contender for the vacant Newcastle job, claiming he is rejuvenated after three years away from the NRL.

Anderson, who has not coached in the NRL since splitting with Cronulla at the end of 2003, revealed he has applied for the Knights position and is hopeful of taking over what he regards as one of the best clubs in the game.

Matthew Johns is pushing for Anderson's appointment, the pair having forged a bond when Anderson brought Johns from Wigan to play for the Sharks.

"I have applied, yeah. I think the Knights are one of the real pea jobs in rugby league," said Anderson, who delivered premierships to Canterbury (1995) and Melbourne (1999).

"They are one of the best clubs in the game. I have spoken to Matty (Johns) a number of times about it.

"I really like what Newcastle are about.

"I think in the past the club has suffered because they have not been in a good enough position financially to hold on to the best of their junior players.

"Now that they seem like they are in better shape financially with some good sponsors coming on board, I think they have a terrifically bright future because they now have the ability to hang on to the best of those kids."

Knights boss Ken Conway said he would not discuss any coaching negotiations but confirmed Anderson had applied.

Asked whether Anderson would be interviewed for the job, Conway said: "His coaching record speaks for itself but it will be a matter of whether we think he would be a good fit for the club. That hasn't been decided."
Anderson also has the support of Knights captain Andrew Johns.

Johns is one of four senior players Knights management will consult about the coaching position.

"I have worked with Joey at Test level - it would be terrific to work with him again," Anderson said.

http://foxsports.news.com.au/story/0,8659,18045258-23214,00.html

Titanium_BD1103
05-02-06, 10:54 AM
I reckon Anderson would make a great coach if he is agreed to by the players. He is very smart and I remember the days he coached Canterbury.. he was very good and had some clever ideas too.. :D :D

As for coaching Newcastle.. it would work but I think Anderson also needs to have good assistants on his side as Anderson's style of coaching as was seen at Cronulla is very much still set in the late 90's mould of play.. and RL has changed a lot since then.. he needs to update the game plans and with the help of some good assistant I reckon he could do that and also keep his ideas that made him a winner for such a long time there as well.. :)

I like this idea and wish Anderson all the best.. :D :D

Luke
05-02-06, 01:01 PM
I actually wouldnt mind Anderson coaching the Knights.

DIEHARD
05-02-06, 01:06 PM
Anderson is one of those coaches I wouldn't want anywhere near my club.

It would be entertaining to see him go to Newcastle though.

He will either force success out of them or start more turbulence. Either way I am entertained.

What happened to the idea of sending Anderson to Siberia to coach Russian Rugby League? I loved that idea. :laugh:

DeeGan
05-02-06, 02:52 PM
I tend to agree with you DIEHARD - a NRL club signing him is a good idea though as long as he stays away from Gold Coast Titans.

No one can deny the dfact that Anderson is a great coach, his record speaks for itself, though whilst he is a "players coach" he can cause quite a stir as seen at Melbourne and then Cronulla.

Andrew Johns likes the idea as does Matt Gidley - I think a 2 year 'see what happens' deal could work out for both parties, we need to keep in mind he has been removed from the game for 3 years. I would bring in Peter Sharp as well in some capacity with David Farleigh being involved anf groomed for the top job.

DIEHARD
05-02-06, 03:14 PM
Let's not forget his adventures in Welsh Union.

Eel 33
05-02-06, 05:18 PM
Anderson brings trouble. Look at every club he's been to, Newcastle can do better.

DeeGan
05-02-06, 05:21 PM
Anderson brings trouble. Look at every club he's been to, Newcastle can do better.

With an element of trouble, he also brings success which is why he is an attractive option. IF I was looking at signing him I would lay the ground rules and ensure there is no confusion on his part so none of this trouble can rear it's head.

Luke
05-02-06, 05:43 PM
Didnt knights sign the Burliegh Bears coach for our assistant coach this year why dont we just appoint him ?

Ipswich Fan
05-02-06, 07:46 PM
Rick Stone the ex Burleigh coach would be a good option, has a good football brain, good relationship with his players & he would be cheaper than some of the other options going around.

J-Storm
06-02-06, 03:05 AM
I think Anderson would be great for the Knights. I think he could pull even more intensity and greatness outta Joey as long as he stays fit n' has a fit crew around him. Hope he does well if he does get the appointment...

Dakink
06-02-06, 10:50 AM
I agree with Diehard - though he could work with the right assistants and ground rules!