PDA

View Full Version : Is Piggins and Tradition holding Souths Back?

Dakink
03-02-06, 10:14 AM
http://foxsports.news.com.au/story/...9-23214,00.html

LEGENDARY South Sydney icons last night formed a united push to dump the controversial $3 million bid by Peter Holmes a Court and Russell Crowe to buy the Rabbitohs.

In a move spearheaded by Souths saviour George Piggins, a cast of red and green greats and life members have signed a petition demanding the football club board call an extraordinary general meeting.

The extreme move has the support of retired stars John Sattler, Bob McCarthy and Ron Coote and is designed to quash the Holmes a Court takeover bid before the board can even vote on it.

"We didn't march down George St to be taken over by two people who should be private sponsors - not the owners of South Sydney football club," Piggins said. "Sport belongs to the people. Our football club has always belonged to the members and in the eyes of all these players from the Rabbitohs' greatest era, this is not the best thing for South Sydney football club."

Having learned of the resistance by the Rabbitohs icons, Holmes a Court's legal team Middletons put the multi-million-dollar bid on hold yesterday.

Middletons lawyer partner David Morris said in light of a push by Piggins to topple the football club board, the privatisation proposal was on hold.

In a whirlwind day for the Rabbitohs, chairman Nicholas Pappas cancelled a South Sydney board meeting scheduled last night as plans were made for a meeting with Holmes a Court today.

"It's disappointing there's been uninformed and premature comment about the proposal from sections of our supporters and stakeholders who really have little grasp of the proposal," Pappas said. "The reason I say uninformed is because the proposal hasn't even been made public yet." Rabbitohs icons are leading a push for the club to remain in the hands of members, as it has since 1908, and return to Redfern Oval.

Souths legends Sattler, McCarthy and Coote last night said they were supporting Piggins, including a bid by former Souths Juniors boss Henry Morris to oust chairman Pappas.

"I'm simply supporting George. He's a great Souths stalwart and I signed [the petition] for him," Coote said.

McCarthy added: "I don't believe in two people owning the club. I am supporting George 100 per cent."

To call an extraordinary general meeting the Rabbitohs must give members three weeks' notice.

Souths' AGM meeting is due in March but with an extraordinary general meeting it may be delayed further.

Holmes a Court's legal team yesterday claimed Piggins' comments in the past 24 hours in relation to the leadership of the South Sydney board had forced their proposal onto hold.
Holmes a Court and Pappas will meet this morning before Holmes a Court holds another press conference.

Whilsst loyalty is a fantastic trait - burying your heasd in the saind isnt. Sport - no matter how much you dont like it - is a business now. I get the feeling that Souths will never be a force again until Piggins moves on.

Tradition is all good but not when it gets in the way of competitivness.

I like the line;

"The tradition and history line at Souths gets trotted out too often, we have to create our own history with todays players, they werent even born when Souths last had a golden era."

Social Loafer
03-02-06, 12:51 PM
Yep, I agree 100%, the Rugby League comp is no longer something players done in their spare time while working other jobs, it is a full time job, and if the club doesn't want to move forward by "breaking tradition" then there will eventually be no club to have a tradition...

mb63
03-02-06, 02:08 PM
Piggins appear to be more a hinderance than a help to Souths.Just as they show some form on the field they are threatening to self detruct off it.

Titanium_BD1103
03-02-06, 02:53 PM
Geez.. the issue here is the old boys are trying to stop progress... :laugh:

Whilst I agree on needing to keep tradition, at some stage you need to update with the times otherwise you get too far behind and perish.. sadly Souths are headed that way, the only way to stop it seems to be to get rid of Piggins.. but sadly that will be very hard to do.. now that he has the support of the old boys, who also have quite a bit of influence over the fans... :(

I just hope Souths can make it happen and do well in 2006 and beyond.. we need a strong Souths for a strong RL.. :)

DIEHARD
03-02-06, 03:54 PM
Check out http://www.thebell.com.au/ for more info on the Crowe / Holmes ? Court proposal.

Dakink
03-02-06, 04:18 PM
Nice find Diehard - good read.

Ipswich Fan
03-02-06, 04:27 PM
Piggins is holding Souths back, every other club has managed to move with the times but Souths are determined to stay stuck in the 1960's.

Titanium_BD1103
05-02-06, 11:03 AM
OK peoples.. who wants a share in Souths.. :laugh: :laugh:

NO seriously though.. that is apparently a plan that Holmes A Court and Crowe could consider doing if they get control of Souths, no wonder Piggins is so displeased.. :D :D

From: http://foxsports.news.com.au/story/0,8659,18031809-23214,00.html

New proposal for Souths floated
By Brent Read
February 4, 2006

SOUTH SYDNEY could be floated on the stock exchange under the controversial privatisation plan of Peter Holmes a Court and Russell Crowe.

The Australian obtained a copy of a document last night which detailed Holmes a Court and Crowe's plans to privatise the foundation club, including the intention to publicly list the Rabbitohs, should they turn it into a "profitable company".

Under the plan, Holmes a Court and Crowe would purchase 75 per cent, or 3 million shares, in the Rabbitohs in return for $3m, with the remaining 25 per cent staying in the hands of the football club members in a member company.

The member company would have control over colours, logos and location of the team's ground. If the pair decided to sell their shares, members would have first right of refusal. However, that option would be lost if the club was publicly listed, meaning members could be frozen out.

"The first right of refusal for member company does not apply upon a listing of the football club, which is something we believe we would like to be in a position to consider if the football club can be brought to being a consistently profitable company," the document said.

Souths patriarch George Piggins last night slammed the plan and claimed it was evidence members could be left high and dry if Holmes a Court and Crowe decided to turn their back on the club. Even if Souths wasn't listed, Piggins questioned how members could afford to buy back the remaining 75 per cent, should Holmes a Court and Crowe elect to divest themselves of the club.

The member company, although receiving a 25 per cent share of profits should there be any, would be required to use that money to assist former players through grants and internships.

It was another day of high drama at the Redfern-based club, with chief executive Shane Richardson and Holmes a Court both fronting media conferences to outline the privatisation plan.

Holmes a Court insisted he and Crowe remained committed to purchasing a majority interest in the Rabbitohs, despite the public criticism of Piggins and opposition of a host of club legends.

Advertisement:
So much so, his plan includes a clause requiring he and Crowe to sell their share in the club for $1 should they fail to produce financial stability.

"I have received more emails today than I have in the last six months, encouraging us to get our proposal to members," Holmes a Court said.

Holmes a Court, who asked the board to defer a vote on his proposal on Thursday night, said he was ready to re-present the bid and hoped to have the matter finalised before the start of the NRL premiership next month.

Souths chairman Nick Pappas could schedule a board meeting as early as next week at which the proposal will be discussed and voted on. If it is supported by the majority, it would then go to the members and require 75 per cent support.

"I would hope that everybody sits there and says let's have a look at the proposal before we start burning people at the stake," Richardson said. "I want to stop all this crap and factional fighting. I think the fans are sick of it.

"We'll kill ourselves. We're fighting in the dressing room before we even get on the field."

Piggins insisted last night he was happy for the proposal to be voted on. However, his mood was not lightened by comments from Richardson in relation to Redfern Oval, the club's spiritual home.

Sydney City Council issued the club with a letter this week instructing it it was ready to commence a $20m redevelopment of the area in May.

The council plans to turn the ground into open parkland incorporating training facilities.

That would end any hope Piggins had of playing premiership games again at the ground.

"The biggest struggle we have is the quality of the training facilities, they are disgraceful," Richardson said.

The Australian

Ok so as was stated before.. who wants a share of South Sydney if this was to occur.. a little piece of Redfern's favourite club to call your own.. :D :D

Dakink
06-02-06, 10:08 AM
I like this idea - if I was a fan I would jump at the idea - monetary reward aside as purely a chance to own MY club.