PDA

View Full Version : How Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs transformed '08 spooners into minor premier

DIEHARD
03-09-12, 11:05 AM
How Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs transformed 2008 wooden spooners into minor premiership winners

This is Canterbury-Bankstown's official team photo from 2008.

They finished with the wooden spoon and not one of the 26 players in the picture is still at Belmore.

No other club in the NRL has undergone such a massive shake-up.

Sonny Bill Williams disappeared in July of that year, Reni Maitua was sacked and the rest moved on for various reasons.

It illustrates what a remarkable job CEO Todd Greenberg, a stable board and coach Des Hasler have done to win the minor premiership in the NRL, Toyota Cup and NSW Cup.

Not even Ben Barba, who debuted at the back end of 2008, is in the picture because he was still in the under-20s.

The rebuilding of the Bulldogs has been an absolutely wonderful rugby league story.

I can still clearly remember Greenberg arriving at our Surry Hills offices in 2009 with coach Kevin Moore, Luke Patten, marketing and PR staff, to take us through his plans to renovate and repair the club's image.

They were starting again from ground zero. Not one company wanted to be on the front of their jersey.

Fast forward four years to ANZ Stadium on Saturday night. Greenberg couldn't have been prouder as his skipper Michael Ennis walked on to the stage to collect the J.J. Giltinan Shield.

Obviously, the job is not done yet and the big one is still four weeks away.

But the Bulldogs boss took time out to reflect.

"It's incredible to think back to '08," he says. "We made a very conscious decision that we don't just recruit on skill and talent.

"We recruit on character and values. That's how normal people in the business world hire the best personnel.

"Why should we be any different. I know we've got to win footy games but ultimately you are building a club and a team."

One by one players left of their own accord or were moved on.

Ennis, Brett Kimmorley, Josh Morris, Ben Hannant, David Stagg, Aiden Tolman, James Graham, Greg Eastwood, Frank Pritchard, Trent Hodkinson, Steve Turner, Krisnan Inu and Sam Perrett signed up.

"These guys were obviously extremely talented footballers but they are also genuinely good men with strong family values," Greenberg said. "They come with a dedication to work in the community.

"We research and do a detailed analysis before we sign anyone. That's what builds your club over a sustainable long period of time."

Still, there are more challenges ahead.

The grudge match against Dessie Hasler's old club Manly is the next step.

The refurbishment is still to be completed but the Dogs have very proudly come a long way.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/league/nrl-premiership

DIEHARD
03-09-12, 11:08 AM
Bulldogs getting the 2008 spoon. I totally forgot about that!

Chaos
03-09-12, 06:59 PM
It's remarkable what they have done with Minor Premierships in the under 20's, Sydney comp and the NRL...To say they are recruiting well is an understatement.

I just don't understand why Gold Coast and Broncos don't have smart play-makers in their sides.
Why are players like Smith, Cronk, Slater, Barba, Inglis and Cherry-Evens playing for other clubs?

Why did Broncos sign Peter Wallace from Sydney and Titans sign Sezer from the Bulldogs?
Where are the Queensland Halves?
Why haven't the Broncos resigned their best player (Teo)?
Is size the only quality the Broncos are looking for when recruiting?

No wonder the Titans and Bronco games are boring to watch!

The Cowboys are without a doubt the most exciting team in Queensland and should roll the Broncos.
I hope they give it to the top 4 teams in the finals.

Toads
03-09-12, 07:19 PM
The Cowboys are without a doubt the most exciting team in Queensland and should roll the Broncos.
I hope they give it to the top 4 teams in the finals.

As it's been reported by various media outlets.. 'it's either now, or never'. The Cowboys are probably fielding their best team in years 'n because some of those senior players are coming towards the end of their careers, it could be some time before they'll find themselves in this position again.

I'm sure the 3 wooden spoons 'n no Premiership in their short history will be fairly fresh in their memories, that it'll give the guys the lift they need to pull it off.

I for one am gunning for them to take it out this year. ;)

Chaos
03-09-12, 07:39 PM
The Cowboys are probably fielding their best team in years 'n because some of those senior players are coming towards the end of their careers, it could be some time before they'll find themselves in this position again.

Not sure about your reasoning here...we have Bailey, Prince and Harrison all coming to the end of their careers and have no chance at the premiership.

Coaster
03-09-12, 07:48 PM
Not sure about your reasoning here...we have Bailey, Prince and Harrison all coming to the end of their careers and have no chance at the premiership.

Would they still have no chance if Hasler or Bellemy was coaching the Titans?

Toads
03-09-12, 07:50 PM
Tatey, Mango, JT 'n a handful of others probably have 1-3 years in them (at best) before they fall by the wayside (performance-wise). Oh, and they made it into the Top 8.

How's that, any clearer? :)

But yeah, Bailey, Prince and Harrison haven't a chance in hell of taking a Premiership. Sorry to say.. :(

Julius Sezer
03-09-12, 08:15 PM
"We recruit on character and values. That's how normal people in the business world hire the best personnel.."
I hope this isnt the reason why Dogs got rid of Sezer. :surprise:

Chaos
03-09-12, 08:26 PM
Would they still have no chance if Hasler or Bellemy was coaching the Titans?

Probably not but thats my point...I just don't understand Toads reasoning that "Cowboys are probably fielding their best team in years 'n because some of those senior players are coming towards the end of their careers" and that "it could be some time before they'll find themselves in this position again.

We also have players coming towards the end of their careers but both clubs are playing different levels of football.
Cowboys have a strong future with forwards like Scott, Tamou, Taumalolo and Tariq Sims.

On a side note...As old as Mat Bowen is, I've never seen him so fit and fast.

Toads
03-09-12, 08:38 PM
Yes, but the difference is. Cowboys made it into the Top 8, and we didn't.

I can't help but think you're missing my point, Chaos 'n it's got me ****ed how to explain it any better to you.

EDIT: I'll see if I can find one of the articles about it. As the words were pretty well from JT's mouth himself.

Chaos
03-09-12, 10:08 PM
Yes, but the difference is. Cowboys made it into the Top 8, and we didn't.

I can't help but think you're missing my point, Chaos 'n it's got me ****ed how to explain it any better to you.

EDIT: I'll see if I can find one of the articles about it. As the words were pretty well from JT's mouth himself.

I understand they have a very good chance at a premiership this year but I don't believe it is now or never.
They have a good balance of experience and young up and comers which are combining nicely.
The idea that the senior players are ending their career soon isn't the main factor they have a chance this year.
The senior players wouldn't be in this exciting situation without the 2 best props in the comp.
Your theory would have Hindmarsh and Burt winning the comp.

However...believing it is "now or never" might be a good state of mind for the senior players to be in and your point is relevant...I just see so many other factors contributing to their success this year.
Their young half back has been a great inclusion midyear after an unstable period when Lui was suspended by the NRL.
There was no doubt the Cowboys plan was to win a grandfinal this year.

C-Whiz
04-09-12, 12:47 PM
Back to Bulldogs cleaning out and rebuilding......

We have those sort of players, and Luke Bailey is the obvious standout, among others. A guy who never gives up, who never says die, who will chase down a kick for the 1%'ers while some of the backs wait to see if there is any chance of a 50/50 play before even giving it a go.

It is this sort of natural competitiveness combined with a work-horse mentality that makes The Bull one of the types of players that lifts others. And we have more like him.

Unfortunately, we also have some lazy bastards who don't have the fitness, competitiveness or character to put in the effort when there may be no reward. The sort of poor attitude that the Bulldogs would be prepared to let go to build the team that has taken them from wooden spooners to the top in 4 years. The sort of player that we would sign for 5 years.

Combine this with the fact they have a coach who is getting the best out of those players, and you can see the obvious cultural difference before you even start to look at the results.

Toads
04-09-12, 01:11 PM
Good job of getting this thread back on topic, C-Whiz. Got me stuffed how you did it, as I see nothing much to do about the Bulldogs at all. :laugh:

@Chaos. Umm yeah, Whatever Mate. Not sure how the Titans or Parra got dragged into 'my theory' (I thought it was an opinion exclusively about the Cowboys). But yeah, I do hope you're right about the Cowboys having many a good years ahead of them. Afterall, they are my second favourite NRL Team. I tell ya, it's hard to barrack for the Titans, when we come up against them. But yeah, I was just sharing an opinion similar to what JT said when he mentioned it, in a interview a couple of weeks back. Buggered if I can find that interview on FoxSports as their search engine digs up all sorts of crap, going back as far as 2008.

All the Best, Gentlemen. :thumbsup: