PDA

View Full Version : Piggins denies move against Souths board

DIEHARD
02-02-06, 02:03 PM
South Sydney patriarch George Piggins has denied a report he is moving to bring down the Rabbitohs' board in order to scupper a proposal by Peter Holmes a Court and Russell Crowe to privatise the club.

And Souths chairman Nick Pappas said any such move would be "a disappointing development" born out of "uninformed discussion".

The Nine Network reported the Piggins camp was involved in an attempt to remove the football club board in order to have the proposal by businessman Holmes a Court and Hollywood actor Crowe to buy the club defeated.

"I don't think that is exactly right. I don't see how we're going to shut them out," Piggins told AAP.

"As for the position at the moment, it's to ask the board to cease the negotiations with Russell Crowe to privatise the club and also to pursue the endeavour to get back to Redfern Oval."

Asked if he was involved in any new moves to have the board removed, Piggins said: "No we're not.

"I will be supporting (former Souths Juniors chair) Henry Morris if he elects to stand at the next general meeting," Piggins said.

Leagues club chairman Piggins said the Nine report did not reflect his supporters' strategy "at this stage".

"I suppose some people are just thinking that because we're putting an extraordinary general meeting (of football club members) on that we're opposing the board," he said.

"At this stage it doesn't say that on the brief that we're doing."

Pappas and Souths chief executive Shane Richardson said they had not seen the report but Pappas said he was unaware of any formal moves against the board.

"I know of nothing formal that's been done to do anything about it but if the report's true it's definitely a disappointing development," Pappas said.

"Any attempt by anyone to take this decision-making away from the members and stymie this proposal before it goes through the normal process would be a very, very sad development."

The Rabbitohs nine-member board is due to meet on Thursday night to consider the details of the proposal from Holmes a Court and Crowe.

It is expected to decide whether to pass the bid on to football club members, 75 per cent of whom need to support the proposal for it to go ahead.

Pappas refused to disclose the amount of money involved, citing confidentiality agreements, but Piggins believes the bid is worth around $3 million.

"Well strike me dead, it's a very small amount of money to sell a football club for three million dollars," Piggins said.

"They can get eight or nine million dollars to go to the Central Coast if that was the choice.

"We didn't walk down bloody George Street to move our football club out of Redfern

"We've sat by and let the negotiations go on and hoped that common sense would prevail, but it hasn't."

Pappas said it was too early for opponents of the plan to be drumming up support when the board had not yet ratified it.

"It's very presumptuous and it just smacks of not wanting to allow members to have the final say on this," he said.

Asked if Piggins' contributions to the discussion of the issue had been helpful, Pappas said: "I think there's been a lot of uninformed discussion, a lot of people speaking publicly who don't really know very much about the proposal at all.

"It's a proposal that's quite complex, it's a proposal that requires considerable thought," Pappas said.

Source: NRL.com

As a fan of South Sydney, I have to say...out with Pig in with Crow.

Dakink
02-02-06, 02:32 PM
The dramas at this once proud club continue - IMO Piggins needs to take a step back and let others have a go - Holmes a Court offers reall business nouce and shouldnt be thrown away lightly.

brn2bwyld
02-02-06, 06:33 PM
"C:\Documents and Settings\Nick\My Documents\My Pictures\jason smith.jpg"