PDA

View Full Version : Tigers star reveals GB ambition

DeeGan
02-02-06, 09:19 AM
Tigers star reveals GB ambition

Wests Tigers back-row forward Chris Heighington has revealed he wants to play for Great Britain and plans to quit the NRL by the age of 26.

The Australian, who also carries a UK passport, hopes to impress in the World Club Challenge against Bradford.

"If the opportunity ever came up, I'd take it with both hands," he told The Sydney Telegraph newspaper.

"I'd love to play club footy over here. I'm 23, in a couple of years I'll be over here for sure."

Heighington, born and raised in Australia, is rated as one of the most exciting forward prospects in his homeland.

He qualifies for a UK passport through his father, Tom, who was born just outside Liverpool and left at the age of 15.

"I'm really close to my dad, he's really into the English culture and I love it here," Heighington added.

GB are the winner here though I personally have mixed feelings and don't really want to re-open an old wound on this one.

Disappointing to read from an Australian's point of view when we have a fellow countrymen looking to explore the loop-hole on offer which will qualify him to play for England in the future.

Leaving the NRL at 26 to head to a weaker competition for bigger money - can't really scold a guy.

Good luck to him.

DeeGan

Lennox Titan
02-02-06, 08:58 PM
Heighington thinking of the UK, Skando the same, Prince talking to the Cowboys and Broncos?. If the tigers dont start the year well i can see Sheens giving them a nice little stint in reserve grade. That should re-focus them. Heighington & Prince have both played ONE consistent year of first grade. I wouldnt be rushing to sign them just yet.

DIEHARD
08-02-06, 08:18 PM
Did he jinx himself?

Dakink
09-02-06, 07:44 AM
Heighington thinking of the UK, Skando the same, Prince talking to the Cowboys and Broncos?. If the tigers dont start the year well i can see Sheens giving them a nice little stint in reserve grade. That should re-focus them. Heighington & Prince have both played ONE consistent year of first grade. I wouldnt be rushing to sign them just yet.

My thoughts exactly.

Eel 33
13-02-06, 09:51 AM
There's a few rumblings in Tiger territory. Could this be the start of the downfall? Are they going to be 1 hit wonders?

parraman
13-02-06, 09:28 PM
There's a few rumblings in Tiger territory. Could this be the start of the downfall? Are they going to be 1 hit wonders?
we will find out in september!!!

TITANS007
14-02-06, 01:57 PM

Actually, Prince has had 2 consistent years of first grade. He hasn't missed a game since the beginning of 2004. He also played SOO and was in top 10 Dally M's 2004, and we all know what he achieved in 2005. Prior to that, the only reason he wasn't playing "Consistent" was due to injury. He is coming into his prime as a footy player, I'd be rushing to get his signature!