PDA

View Full Version : 2006 NRL Season Preview - Brisbane Broncos

DeeGan
02-02-06, 12:23 AM
DEEGAN'S NRL 2006 PREVIEW

I would like to share my thoughts on the upcoming 2006 NRL Season with the forum.

How will this be released to the forum?

First of all I am going to give my view on each team. The order will be:

* Brisbane Broncos
* Canterbury Bulldogs
* Canberra Raiders
* Cronulla Sharks
* Manly Sea-Eagles
* Melbourne
* Newcastle
* North Queensland
* Parramatta Eels
* Penrith Panthers
* St George Illawarra Dragons
* South Sydney Rabbitohs
* Sydney Roosters
* New Zealand Warriors
* Wests Tigers

One this is covered, I will look at my 2006 predicitions covering:

* The 2006 NRL ladder with team ratings
* The 2006 NRL Premieres
* The Dally M Player of the Year
* The Five 'Must Watch' games of 2006
* The Five 'Breakout Players' of 2006
* The Five Predictions that will eventuate in 2006

I hope you enjoy it, it is my first attempt and over the years I hope to continually improve on the task at hand.

I will post the entire preview in one big thread to look at after the 2006 Grand Final. Please discuss each team in the allocated thread.

DeeGan

DeeGan
02-02-06, 12:23 AM
2006 PREVIEW: BRISBANE BRONCOS

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b351/deegan_gctitan_/Broncos.jpg

- 2005 SEASON REVIEW -

Played: 26, won 15, lost 11, drew 0, byes 2, for 621, against 542 (3rd on the ladder)

Qualifying finals: lost to Melbourne Storm18-24

Semi-finals: lost to Wests Tigers 6-34

- DEEGAN'S 2005 PLAYER OF THE YEAR -

Shane Webcke

Standing down from representative rugby league was a blessing in disguise for the Brisbane Broncos as Webcke produced on his best seasons for the club. A knee injury suffered in round 24 versus Penrith saw Webcke limp into the playoffs which was detrimental in Brisbane?s go forward in the finals. Webcke proved in 2005 that we was not letting go of the 'World's Best Prop' mantle without a fight.

- 2005 IN SHORT -

The Brisbane Broncos once again saved their worst rugby league for the end of season losing their last seven games and were bundled out of the finals series with relative ease. Bronco supporters were left scratching their head after a sizzling start to the season which saw Brisbane win ten games in a row after the embarrassing 46 point loss to Melbourne. The Brisbane Broncos were a tired club at the end of the 2005 season which is becoming an all too familiar trend for the former rugby league kings.

- 2006 SEASON PREVIEW -

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b351/deegan_gctitan_/lockyer25.jpg
Darren Lockyer: The Brisbane Bronco captain should
expect and even tougher 2006 season. Is the Brisbane
juggernaut coming to a grinding halt?

Gains: Michael Ennis (Dragons), Ben Hannant (Roosters)

Losses: Tom Learoyd-Lahrs (Raiders), Darren Mapp (Sharks), Stuart Kelly (retired), Berrick Barnes (QLD Reds)

- DEEGAN'S BEST BRISBANE TEAM -

1 - Karmichael Hunt ? Tougher than most give him credit for and a player that can turn the game for Brisbane in attack. Safe at the back for Brisbane though must improve his one on one defense.
2 - Leon Bott ? A very good finisher with blistering speed off the mark. Will see a challenge from Steve Michaels, Fraser Anderson and Tame Tupou in 2006.
3 - Justin Hodges ? 2005 was a welcome return to form for the former representative player. With his confidence returning, Hodges should be in a position to push for Queensland selection if he starts the season strongly.
4 - Shaun Berrigan ? A try scoring machine who will never die wondering. Berrigan will have a point to prove in 2006 after missing out on the Tri-Nations tour. Plenty of contenders for his Queensland jersey will provide extra motivation to do well.
5 - Brent Tate ? The most lethal attacking player Brisbane had in the back half of the season. Tate has the rare ability to put a four pointer on the board from anywhere on the field.
6 - Darren Lockyer ? ? Still learning the five-eight role though still in the top two or three players in the game. Needs to find consistency at the back half of the season and overcome the post Origin time of the year.
7 - Brett Seymour ? Matured in 2005 and took on more responsibility when Lockyer was absent. Still a way to go to become a complete halfback though if he can improve on his 2005 season, he will be a regular name mentioned at State of Origin time for years to come.
8 - Shane Webcke ? Age and a nagging knee injury is catching up on Webcke though on his day he is still amongst the best props in the world. Could be his last season, he will make sure it is one to remember.
9 - Michael Ennis ? Good young player who gives Brisbane a more than competent goal kicker which is a welcomed relief for Bronco fans. Ennis will excel in Brisbane and be one of the signings of the year.
10 - Petero Civoniceva ? The old warhorse has seen his best days as he struggles to find regular impact in attack or defense. Will need a big start to the season to hold onto his representative jerseys.
11 - Brad Thorn ? A better than expected return to rugby league in 2005 and he should be even better this season.
12 - David Stagg ? The mobile workhorse this aging Brisbane pack needs.
13 - Tonie Carroll ? Still the best front on defender in the game and once again he will shadow Lockyer when defending. Brisbane will look for more with the ball in hand.

Reserves
14 - Casey McGuire ? Mr Reliable for Brisbane and can fill in just about anywhere letting no one down.
15 - Corey Parker ? Getting better each year and could find a spot starting in the back row in 2006.
16 - Sam Thaiday ? Provided glimpses of potential Brisbane knows he has. Still a little inconsistent.
17 - Dane Carlaw ? A big fall from grace for the former representative forward who physically has all the attributes a player scout would look for on the outside. It is what inside that counts at this level, Carlaw needs to dig deep in 2006 or could see the door.

- THE 2006 OUTLOOK -

The pieces are in place for another premiership run in 2006 though there is a need for a change of plan at the club who were once the most feared in the competition. Brisbane can no longer rely on the aura they once had that beat many a team before a ball had been kicked. It has been lost and there is a lot of work to do if they are wanting to once again reach the heights of the Langer, Walters and Tallis era.

The Wayne Bennett coached Broncos are in my opinion guilty of not adapting to the modern game since their 2000 premiership win. The Broncos of old would dominate the game up front steam rolling the opposition which created room for the likes of Langer, Walters and Lockyer. Brisbane is no longer able to that as most NRL teams are adopting a more mobile pack which is built to survive the early onslaught. Once the big Bronco forwards tire, the opponent looks to take the game by the scruff of the neck at the back end of the game running them ragged around the ruck.

THREE STRENGTHS BRISBANE HAVE

* The "us against them" mentality - This is a mindset Bennett has instilled into his Brisbane sides since day one and 2006 will be no different. It unites the team and with Bennett's coaching now under question, the players will band together and do everything in their power to shut the critics up. Beware of the wounded Broncos in 2006.

* Veteran experience - Brisbane boast a roster loaded with big match experience at all levels. Led by Lockyer, Webcke and Civoniceva, Brisbane will never be guilty of being over awed by the occasion. Current finals form may suggest otherwise.

* Darren Lockyer - Premiership winning teams have that one player they turn too when the game is on the line and Brisbane are fortunate to have former Golden Boot Player of the Year Darren Lockyer in their team. Despite a below par 2005, Lockyer is still one of the modern day greats in the game who can take over a game in the blink of an eye.

THREE WEAKNESSES BRISBANE HAVE

* Big forwards who tire easily - If you survive the big men of Brisbane in the opening 20 minutes of each half, you will go a long way to winning the game. After the roll on is stemmed up front, the opposition can cause havoc around the middle of the ruck scooting from dummy half catching the big, flat footed forwards who are continually on the back foot.

* Rely too much on Darren Lockyer - As much as having Lockyer is a strength, it can also be the achillles heel for the Broncos. Brisbane can be guilty of waiting for their captain to do something all too often. Brett Seymour made strides last season though needs to take more pressure away from his captain when it comes to creating a play.

* The back half of a season - Brisbane lost their last seven games in 2005 and the year before closed the season winning only one of their last six games. This is a problem for Bennett that he needs to come up with an answer for or risk once again finishing the season in a whimper.

- DEEGAN'S BRISBANE PLAYER ON THE HOT SEAT -

Darren Lockyer

Like Allan Langer and Kevin Walters experienced before him, Darren Lockyer will once again head in to a Brisbane Bronco season with the weight of expectation placed squarely on his shoulders.

No Brisbane Bronco team has missed the finals series since 1991 and with 2006 tipped to be just as competitive as 2005, Lockyer will need to be at his very best week in week out for Brisbane to head back to the semi-finals for the 15th consecutive season.

Most pundits had Darren Lockyer as the number one player in the world heading into the 2005 season though he has relinquished that title to Andrew Johns after he dominated State of Origin in games one and two.

Darren Lockyer also finished the season well behind Benji Marshall, Trent Barrett, Jason Smith and make shift five-eight Jonathon Thurston in the individual position rankings for mine. Lockyer started the season brilliantly though was never the same after a heartbreaking Origin loss to the Johns inspired NSW Blues.

After a longer than expected off-season due to a broken bone in his right foot suffered on the Tri-Nations tour, Lockyer is expected to be refreshed and primed to reclaim the mantle of being the 'World's Best Player'. If Lockyer is in that type of form in 2006, Brisbane should finally be able to shake the poor finals form that has plagued them since the 2000 premiership win.

DeeGan
02-02-06, 12:27 AM
Feel free to discuss members :)

DeeGan

Dakink
02-02-06, 09:24 AM
Mmmm Brisbane - my pet hate (Sorry QLD'er), Though I think this season could be an improvement on the last few - providing they adapt their game plan to the modern game. Bash and barge isnt really going to work - as shown by the game v Dragons in Brisbane where the Broncos tried to gop over the top but ended up getting run over themselves. Webke and Petero arent spring chickens anymore. Still a team I always enjoy watching despite my dislike of them.

They have some real talented outside backs and creative halves and shouldnt be scared of giving them a little more room to move ala Tigers. They are quick and should - injuries baring - be challenging end of year honours providing Mr.Bennett can adapt himself.

DeeGan
02-02-06, 11:34 AM
Mmmm Brisbane - my pet hate (Sorry QLD'er), Though I think this season could be an improvement on the last few - providing they adapt their game plan to the modern game. Bash and barge isnt really going to work - as shown by the game v Dragons in Brisbane where the Broncos tried to gop over the top but ended up getting run over themselves. Webke and Petero arent spring chickens anymore. Still a team I always enjoy watching despite my dislike of them.

They have some real talented outside backs and creative halves and shouldnt be scared of giving them a little more room to move ala Tigers. They are quick and should - injuries baring - be challenging end of year honours providing Mr.Bennett can adapt himself.

My understanding is the Broncos are focusing on speed this off-season and that most players have dropped weight and skin folds. Bennett is too smart a coach not to adapt in 2006 - his coaching legacy has been tarnished a little, 2006 is a great opportunity to erase memories of a disappointing 2005.

DeeGan

Dakink
02-02-06, 11:43 AM
My understanding is the Broncos are focusing on speed this off-season and that most players have dropped weight and skin folds. Bennett is too smart a coach not to adapt in 2006 - his coaching legacy has been tarnished a little, 2006 is a great opportunity to erase memories of a disappointing 2005.

DeeGan

That is true - but it has taken him a number of failures before he was able to accept this?

Not exactly a pro-active coach - though as my old Sensei used to say "It's better late than never".

DeeGan
02-02-06, 11:51 AM
That is true - but it has taken him a number of failures before he was able to accept this?

Not exactly a pro-active coach - though as my old Sensei used to say "It's better late than never".

Don't get me wrong, I am not saying by changing in 2006 he done it at the right time, he missed the boat by 3-4 years IMO. As you said 'better late than never'.

Bennett as we now can be stubborn, I think he was in his coaching since the 2000 win and now that some are questioning his 'aura', he has no choice but to adapt or risk just making up the numbers at the business end of the season yet again with Brisbane. The fear factor is long gone and 2006 IMO is going to be whole lot tougher for Brisbane.

DeeGan

mb63
02-02-06, 04:16 PM
I believe Brisbane will finish 6-10.Despite off field changes & a tough pre season the side is basically the same one that has been tumbled out of recent finals series.Still very reliant on Lockyer & whilst Seymour was okay last year he still has a way to go to establish himself as a no7.

Ipswich Fan
02-02-06, 05:05 PM
I think Brisbane will struggle this year & will be battling for a lower end position in the top 8. I think that they rely too much on the older guys & desperately need some of the newer generation to step up. Also I see depth as being a major problem for Brisbane this year & if injuries or rep commitments strike then they will struggle big time.

Queenslander
02-02-06, 06:39 PM
The broncos are always in the finals, that is a simple fact....They are currently adapting their off-field techniques though rather suddenly and this may affect their first few games. However a soild start will get them through a tough State of Origin; and hopefully through to the finals without too many a loss. I believe that my team can be there on grand final day and be successful, the team is there; the offield personal is there. All is need is good solid performances on the field and we should be in with a good chance.

Dakink
02-02-06, 07:04 PM
The Broncos have missed the finals before and on form in the last few years you wouldnt totally pen them in a certs. They have had fantastic starts the last few years and still limped into the finals....And left just as quick....

Queenslander
02-02-06, 07:11 PM
The Broncos have missed the finals before and on form in the last few years you wouldnt totally pen them in a certs. They have had fantastic starts the last few years and still limped into the finals....And left just as quick....

My statement about the broncos being in the finals all the time was a bit exagerated but im sure they have been there for 8 years straight (give or take a year or two ;) ) And the final rounds will scare Broncos supporters; but i have faith in them. And they will always be champions in my heart :thumbsup:

Dakink
02-02-06, 07:12 PM
My statement about the broncos being in the finals all the time was a bit exagerated but im sure they have been there for 8 years straight (give or take a year or two ;) ) And the final rounds will scare Broncos supporters; but i have faith in them. And they will always be champions in my heart :thumbsup:

Those are good words and what I like to read from a supporter no matter what the club. there is no way I could dump my team for failing...

Queenslander
02-02-06, 07:14 PM
Those are good words and what I like to read from a supporter no matter what the club. there is no way I could dump my team for failing...

Thanks, im sure you love the *shudders* dragons as much as I love the Broncos;) I have loved the broncos since 1988 and i wont stop. Unless they have scandals like the bulldogs and do naughty things off the field ;)

brn2bwyld
02-02-06, 07:26 PM
If Brisbane can pull it togegether in the pos-origin period and keep consitency throughout the year, they will be very hard to stop.