PDA

View Full Version : Round 23: Melbourne Storm vs Gold Coast Titans

TITAN PETE
06-08-12, 11:41 AM
FRIDAY

Melbourne Storm v Gold Coast Titans at AAMI Park, 7:35pm (local). #NRLMELGLD

STORM: Billy Slater, Sisa Waqa, Justin O'Neill, Will Chambers, Anthony Quinn, Gareth Widdop, Cooper Cronk, Jesse Bromwich, Cameron Smith, Jason Ryles, Sika Manu, Ryan Hoffman, Ryan Hinchcliffe. Interchange (from): Todd Lowrie, Bryan Norrie, Jaiman Lowe, Kevin Proctor, Rory Kostjasyn

TITANS: William Zillman, Kevin Gordon, Jamal Idris, Steve Michaels, David Mead, Aidan Sezer, Scott Prince, Luke Bailey, Matt Srama, Luke Douglas, Nate Myles, Mark Minichiello, Ashley Harrison. Interchange (from): Matt White, Ben Ridge, Luke O'Dwyer, Beau Falloon, Greg Bird

teke
06-08-12, 02:33 PM
My feeling is that the Team peaked on Sunday, with that massive let down I reckon Storm will pump us. Hope Im wrong

Boofhead
06-08-12, 02:43 PM
Hopefully Bellamy rests a few.

However I hope we come up against Slater, he is no where near 100%.

TITAN PETE
06-08-12, 02:52 PM
If anyone watched the Storms last match it was as u would expect the Slater,Cronk & Smith show up against one of the worst 40 minutes a footy team could play
Smith to Cronk inside to Slater or
Smith to Slater inside to Cronk

Defence around the ruck was touch footy it shouldn't happen to any side who thinks they'll make the 8.

Titanic
06-08-12, 03:43 PM
My feeling is that the Team peaked on Sunday, with that massive let down I reckon Storm will pump us. Hope Im wrong

I hope you are too but I think you're right. In hindsight my comment about Mead could have been spread across a few more of the younger blokes in the team and when it was apparent that the game was gone so did their energy levels.

We can drop one more game but no more and certainly not by any largish margin. This week every tackling machine we have should start.

1. Zillman
2. Gordon
3. Bird
4. Idris
5. Mead
6. Sezer
7. Prince
8. Bailey
9. Srama
10. Douglas
11. Ridge
12. Myles
13. Harrison

14. White
15. Minichiello
16. O'Dwyer
17. Peyroux*

* I also think Michaels went ok but he can only cover one position and is at best a 50/50 proposition, Peyroux can lock up one side in defence.

Jamal's Hamstring
06-08-12, 05:14 PM

While I'm always happy to be proven wrong, I think this will play a big part. I'd imagine the self belief has been rattled and it will take a lot of maturity to get back on the horse.

Melbourne are a sleeping giant. Anyone thinking it'll be a cake walk is crazy.

Will Bird be right to play?

gotitans101
06-08-12, 05:42 PM
I'm not confident about this game at all. I just have a bad feeling about this one and think the Storm will drill us. God I hope I'm wrong.

Sexy pecksy kahuna shark
06-08-12, 05:54 PM
I reckon we can roll em.
Penrith are garbage, and are the worst team in the competition.
I rate our 4 point loss to Souths, higher than the Storms 40 off point win over Penrith.

Chaos
06-08-12, 06:10 PM
I rate our 4 point loss to Souths, higher than the Storms 40 off point win over Penrith.

faarrrrk...you gotta get of the gear bro...28 days might do it

Rage
06-08-12, 06:55 PM
I'm as worried as everyone else over here especially from the disappointment that was yesterday's game. But if the boys have the maturity and mental fortitude to put it behind them and get up for this game, then we know that they'll be able to compete if we make the finals and not just be making up the numbers.

Rage
06-08-12, 06:56 PM
Wayne Heming AAP Mon, Aug 06, 2012 - 6:32 PM

Gold Coast enforcer Greg Bird says he is over the mental letdown of State of Origin and "buzzing" about the prospect of returning against Melbourne on the weekend.

Bird is one of those players, like a Paul Gallen or Petero Civoniceva, whose mere presence lifts his teammates.

His all Origin back-row combination with Queensland duo Nate Myles and Ashley Harrison will be crucial in stopping Melbourne players pouring through the middle on Saturday night.

Bird's dodgy hamstring will be put to the test at training on Tuesday as the Titans fight to keep their season alive.

"I haven't really had a good solid run on it but I'll do that tomorrow," said Bird.

"I'm pretty confident."

Bird, who played in this year's Origin series which was decided 21-20 in game three, admitted it had been difficult returning to club football after such an emotional series.

"Sometimes after Origin it can be tough getting back into club footy," said Bird, who missed Sunday's loss to South Sydney after opting to give his hamstring an extra week.

"But after the couple of injuries I've had and the rest I've had I'm buzzing to get back out there."

A spectator on Sunday at Skilled Park, Bird felt the Titans had suffered from a few tough first-half calls.

"We were right in the game and it was only a few errors and a few dubious calls against and the guys dropped their heads a bit," said the NSW lock.

"We were there to win the game and given another opportunity I think we could knock them off."

Bird, who would have risked playing against Souths had it been a finals game, was confident the Titans could upset the Storm who snapped a five-game losing streak in comprehensive fashion last weekend.

The loss certainly hasn't dented coach John Cartwright's confidence about making the top eight either.

"I thought we played in patches as good as we've played, we just didn't finish our sets," Cartwright said.

Jamal's Hamstring
06-08-12, 09:45 PM
This is getting close to last roll of the dice for us I think.

Titanic
06-08-12, 10:17 PM
I think we can drop this one and sneak in but the Tigers must lose two.

teke
07-08-12, 01:14 AM
I hope you are too but I think you're right. In hindsight my comment about Mead could have been spread across a few more of the younger blokes in the team and when it was apparent that the game was gone so did their energy levels.

I thought that was one of Daves better tougher games, did 16 hitups and alot of hard metres. Alot more work compared to the fella inside him. He wanted more work but he just cant get into the game in a more attacking role while he is on the wing in this current setup. He should have gone to fullback for a bit. Even Kev is sniffing around on the other side of the field nowadays for a linebreak.

teke
07-08-12, 01:15 AM
I think we can drop this one and sneak in but the Tigers must lose two.I think the Broncos are going to lose every game til the end of the year. They have Dogs, Manly and Storm and look to have lost Parker for the Season and Alex Glenn with a hammy.

chicbarn
07-08-12, 09:50 AM

We can drop one more game but no more and certainly not by any largish margin. This week every tackling machine we have should start.

1. Zillman
2. Gordon
3. Bird
4. Idris
5. Mead
6. Sezer
7. Prince
8. Bailey
9. Srama
10. Douglas
11. Ridge
12. Myles
13. Harrison

14. White
15. Minichiello
16. O'Dwyer
17. Peyroux*

* I also think Michaels went ok but he can only cover one position and is at best a 50/50 proposition, Peyroux can lock up one side in defence.

hahahahahahah Bird at centre?

teke
07-08-12, 12:48 PM
hahahahahahah Bird at centre?He basically plays at left centre anyway

Rage
07-08-12, 12:59 PM
Under Carty, I just see second-rowers and centres as the same thing anyway :p

Titanic
07-08-12, 05:09 PM
Same team with Bird 18th ... you have to admire his loyalty.

Titans: 1. William Zillman 2. Kevin Gordon 3. Jamal Idris 4. Steve Michaels 5. David Mead 6. Aidan Sezer 7. Scott Prince 8. Luke Bailey 9. Matt Srama 10. Luke Douglas 11. Nate Myles 12. Mark Minichiello 13. Ashley Harrison Interchange: 14. Matt White 15. Ben Ridge 16. Luke O'Dwyer 17. Beau Falloon 18. Greg Bird

Princey's Titanz
07-08-12, 06:41 PM
i say get rid off Luke O'Dwyer and put Greg Bird on the bench. O'Dwyer hasnt been doing great lately with his bad reads in attack and giving away penalties.

Jamal's Hamstring
07-08-12, 07:46 PM
Bring in Bj for O'Dwyer if Bird starts.

teke
08-08-12, 01:26 PM
I've had a change of Heart, I think the Titans forwards will strangle the Storm out of it.

DIEHARD
08-08-12, 02:19 PM
I missed the last game being on a plane. I won't miss this one on TV here in HK.

I can't see anything happening in this game. I can see a Titans upset or the Melbourne machine pumping us. This will be a real test of our Finals credentials.

But it's great to be looking forward to the footy!

Chaos
08-08-12, 04:07 PM
I've had a change of Heart, I think the Titans forwards will strangle the Storm out of it.

I like your attitude teke...what about points?

Rage
08-08-12, 05:51 PM
Nicholas Janzen NRL.com Wed, Aug 08, 2012 - 2:10 PM

Melbourne Storm v Gold Coast Titans
AAMI Park
Friday, 7.45pm

Are Melbourne storming back to top form and ready to regain premiership favouritism? Is the Titans? hot run ? and push for the finals ? coming to an abrupt end? There are many questions that will be answered in this clash, just one of several Round 23 battles that will have a huge bearing on the ultimate make-up of the top eight.

After just two losses through the first 15 rounds of the competition, the Storm firmed solidly in 2012?s title betting? then, inexplicably, they lost five matches in a row, including to the lowly Raiders and Eels. However, last week signs emerged they might have just overcome their slump, thumping the Panthers 46-6. They currently sit in third position on 30 competition points ? a win here will help shore up a top-four finish, a home finals match and a second bite at the premiership cherry.

The Titans, on the other hand, suffered a poor start to the season, winning just two of their first nine matches. Since Round 10, however, they?ve won seven of 11 to keep their finals flame flickering. Last week the Rabbitohs ended their three-match winning streak, pipping them 22-18. The narrow but competitive loss saw the Gold Coast slip out of the top eight ? they currently sit in ninth position on 22 points, two behind the enigmatic Wests Tigers.

Melbourne have named an 18-man squad for this match, with Rory Kostjasyn added to the line-up that beat the Panthers last week.

The Titans, meanwhile, have named Blues forward Greg Bird in their 18-man squad. If he gets on the field it will be the first time since Round 13 the Gold Coast have enjoyed the services of all three of their representative players.

Watch Out Storm: The Gold Coast, somewhat surprisingly, have a better record on the road than at home. Not only do the Titans win more games away from home (six on the road compared with three at home), they also score more points (19.7 compared with 17.4) and concede less (16.6 compared with 21.1).

William Zillman has really made the No.1 jersey his during the back half of 2012 ? he?s proving a headache for oppositions week to week, averaging 132 metres a match with almost five tackle-breaks to boot.

Danger Sign: In 2012 the Titans have already conquered the Cowboys, Sea Eagles, Raiders and Bulldogs on the road ? arguably the four most difficult road trips in the NRL. If they get a good start in this match, there?s no doubt they?ll start to believe they can withstand the Storm on the road, too.

Watch Out Titans: Melbourne have scored 110 points in their past three games against the Gold Coast. They?re entering this game on the back of a strong attacking performance, too. The Storm went into half-time against the Panthers up 34-0 ? their second best effort heading into a break. Their brilliant opening 40 minutes featured six unanswered line-breaks, 25 tackle-breaks and 217 per cent more running metres than their opponents.

The Smith-Cronk-Slater combo manufactured two scintillating tries through the centre of the field last week. The Titans will need to have their wits about them to prevent it happening again.

Danger Sign: The Titans defuse just 43 per cent of cross-field kicks (the second worst in the competition). Melbourne will naturally look to take advantage ? they kick diagonally across the park (67) on more occasions than any other team in the competition. The Storm are also one of the most dangerous teams in the competition off the boot ? they have already scored 22 tries from kicks this season, behind just the Bulldogs (with 23).

Cooper Cronk v Scott Prince: The two halfbacks are the lynchpins for their side?s attack ? a strong performance from either player usually indicates a strong team performance, too. The Storm?s No.7 will no doubt be looking to return to consistently strong form after some disappointing outings in his team?s five-match losing streak. The secret to his success has always been his passing and kicking games ? and how they keep opponents guessing. (He?s ranked second in the competition for line-break assists so far with 21.) Prince at his best is one of the competition?s most damaging playmakers. Can he rekindle his form of yesteryear and spark the Titans? finals flames?

Where It Will Be Won: The territory gains of both teams is remarkably similar ? the Titans make 1375 metres per match, compared with the Storm?s 1376 metres, and concede 1338 metres compared with the Storm?s 1345 metres. The real story of the season so far comes from their line-breaks and missed-tackles stats. Melbourne?s strong position on the ladder is reflected by their 4.8 line-breaks and just 26.5 missed tackles per game. The Gold Coast?s mediocre season, meanwhile, is shown in their so-so 4.2 line-breaks per match and a poor 33.6 missed-tackles record. If the Gold Coast can bridge this gap they?re in with a chance of causing a major upset.

The History: Played 8; Storm 5, Titans 3. There has been only one match played between these two teams at AAMI Park, with the Storm winning 40-12 in 2011.

Last Time They Met: It was all Melbourne in their clash with the Titans in Round 3 earlier this year.

Billy Slater showed why he?s the most dangerous attacking player in rugby league with a dynamic display at the back that tore the Titans apart. The Queensland and Australian No.1 scored two tries ? one an amazing, athletic, thief-in-the-night effort just millimetres short of the dead-ball line ? to turn the tide and give Melbourne the ascendancy.

The first half was an arm wrestle ? Melbourne entering the break up just 4-0 ? before Slater?s athletic efforts got the Storm brewing.

Amazingly, the Storm raced to a 30-6 victory despite conceding an additional 113 metres in total runs throughout the match. However the line-breaks (seven to one) and missed-tackles (nine compared with 27) statistics proved the visiting team?s dominance.

Match Officials: Referees ? Shayne Hayne & Alan Shortall; Sideline Officials ? Luke Potter & Henry Perenara; Video Referee ? Russell Smith.

The Way We See It: After a woeful five-match losing streak the Storm seem to have finally come good. With the finals just a month away, it?s hard to imagine them slipping away once again. The Titans, however, love underdog status and will no doubt receive a huge boost if Bird does in fact make it back onto the field. If he does the Titans are still a hope. The home side, though, should have too much attacking strike-power with Cam Smith, Slater, Cronk and co. Melbourne by eight? although given those recent poor performances from the Storm we?re far from certain.

Televised: Channel 9 ? Live 7.30pm (Qld), delayed 9.30pm GEM (NSW); Fox Sports 2 ? Delayed 1am.

? Statistics: NRL Stats

timor 2
08-08-12, 07:38 PM
I think we can beat Melbourne, I watched the dragons beat the storm, they never the storm control the game,they kept the ball alive whenever they could, I also don't know why we never kick the ball dead and give them a 20 Mt tap with a set line. It worked last time we won against them. Maybe then Billy might be a bit deeper And we can chip and Chase... Just a thought.

Boofhead
08-08-12, 08:19 PM
I'm channel thoughts of when we upset the Storm at the graveyard a few years back.

We matched these blokes in round 3 for the entire first half before getting blown away in the second. We are an entirely different team with Sezer, Idris and now Faloon.

Come on guys, we haven't been full strength many times this year. I'm confident.

Hail Sezer
08-08-12, 08:30 PM
I'm channel thoughts of when we upset the Storm at the graveyard a few years back.

We matched these blokes in round 3 for the entire first half before getting blown away in the second. We are an entirely different team with Sezer, Idris and now Faloon.

Come on guys, we haven't been full strength many times this year. I'm confident.

x2. Let's hope the team is thinking the same thing.

teke
09-08-12, 12:26 AM
I like your attitude teke...what about points?Titans 44 Storm 8 :D ...or did you mean points me to think the Titans will win?

teke
09-08-12, 12:43 AM
STORM: Billy Slater, Sisa Waqa, Justin O'Neill, Will Chambers, Anthony Quinn, Gareth Widdop, Cooper Cronk, Jesse Bromwich, Cameron Smith, Jason Ryles, Sika Manu, Ryan Hoffman, Ryan Hinchcliffe. Interchange (from): Todd Lowrie, Bryan Norrie, Jaiman Lowe, Kevin Proctor, Rory Kostjasyn

* Instead of kicking ball dead to keep Slater at bay Quinn is definitely the next best option. Burn him out of the game, imo he is the obvious weak link in the backline.

Boofhead
09-08-12, 09:30 PM
Bird was on the game plan and he seems pretty confident that he will play tomorrow night. Whether he starts and who he comes for has yet to be said, lets hope its Chalky.

TITAN PETE
10-08-12, 08:31 AM
Storm's O'Neill ready for Idris in NRL

RSS
Melissa Woods AAP Thu, Aug 09, 2012 - 2:13 PM

Melbourne centre Justin O'Neill's troublesome groin will be put to the test stopping Gold Coast giant Jamal Idris on Friday night when the NRL teams clash at AAMI Park.

O'Neill didn't finish the Storm's big win over Penrith last round that broke their five-game losing streak, as his groin - which kept him sidelined for two weeks - started to play up.

That was after he'd managed two tries in the 46-6 romp, including one after taking a screamer from a Cooper Cronk bomb.

But the 21-year-old, who has re-signed for a further two seasons in Melbourne, says it's just a matter of managing the injury until season's end.

He knows lining up against 120kg hitman Idris will give it a solid workout.

"He's massive and a very dangerous player," O'Neill said.

"If I do play on the left again, I'll mark up against him."

The Titans had a training run in wet and windy conditions in Melbourne on Thursday, with the temperature barely in double figures.

A Gold Coast spokesman said Greg Bird, who was included on an extended bench after missing their narrow loss to Souths with a hamstring injury, had trained well and was set to take his place in the line-up.

His inclusion means the ninth-placed Titans will have their representative back-row of Bird, Nate Myles and Ashley Harrison on the field together for the first time since round 13.

O'Neill said it was important for his side to back up their strong performance against the Panthers.

"The Titans are a tough team," he said.

"They're fighting for a spot in the finals so we'll have to bring our A-game."

The Storm are also fighting for starting jerseys with O'Neill last round taking the place of dumped State of Origin centre Dane Nielsen and keeping him down in NSW Cup.

"It just goes to show that no one's position in the side is safe," O'Neill said.

"He'll bounce back."

TITAN PETE
10-08-12, 08:45 AM

Late Mail: Dane Nielsen is on standby for Justin O'Neill, who is in doubt with a groin injury.

TITANS: William Zillman, Kevin Gordon, Jamal Idris, Steve Michaels, David Mead, Aidan Sezer, Scott Prince, Luke Bailey, Matt Srama, Luke Douglas, Nate Myles, Mark Minichiello, Ashley Harrison. Interchange (from): Matt White, Ben Ridge, Luke O'Dwyer, Beau Falloon, Greg Bird

Late Mail: Greg Bird will play and is likely to move into the starting side, with Mark Minichiello the man most likely to drop out. Nate Myles is expected to play despite a sternum injury.

TITAN PETE
10-08-12, 08:47 AM

Late Mail: Dane Nielsen is on standby for Justin O'Neill, who is in doubt with a groin injury.

Late Mail: Greg Bird will play and is likely to move into the starting side, with Mark Minichiello the man most likely to drop out. Nate Myles is expected to play despite a sternum injury.

I hope they mean from the starting line up & he's still on the bench or apart from Whitey it will look like a very small bench :surprise:

Mr Stupid
10-08-12, 10:20 AM
What's the weather going to be like?

Titanic
10-08-12, 10:37 AM
What's the weather going to be like?

You're talking about Melbourne ... you're guess would be as good as anybody's ... mostly cloudy 11 degrees tonight ... showers forecast.

TITAN PETE
10-08-12, 11:05 AM
We have one of our own in Shamus who was waiting to board his flight to Melbourne this morning on a Death Star flight from the Gold Coast when they were advised that the flight has been cancelled :surprise: , they were then told the next flight available is at 3pm from BRISBANE :doh:

Given the reliability of the airline Shamus will be praying that the flight leaves on time & on arrival at Melbourne's airport that the Cab driver (who will struggle to speak English) will get them to their Hotel in Peak Hour Traffic where after checking in they will then have to get to AAMI Park before kick off:?)

The 2nd half may be the best part of the match anyway ;)

This is the main reason i won't use this airline anymore..

TITAN PETE
10-08-12, 11:15 AM
No fear of The Graveyard for Titans
Travis Meyn | 09:48am August 10, 2012

THEY call it The Graveyard, the place where visiting teams go and come out battered, bruised and further down the NRL ladder.

But AAMI Park and the Melbourne Storm hold no fears for the Gold Coast Titans, according to coach John Cartwright.

"We've had a pretty fair record against Melbourne until last year. We don't hold any fears of them," Cartwright said.

"We've lost the last three but before that we were very competitive with them (three wins and two losses).

"We've probably got one of the best records of any NRL club against them over the past few years and I still think they're the benchmark side of the competition."

The Titans have triumphed against the odds in Melbourne in the past.

In 2009 they travelled there without skipper Scott Prince to face the best team in the competition.

Greg Inglis, Billy Slater, Cameron Smith, Cooper Cronk, Adam Blair and Dallas Johnson headlined the unbeatable Storm.

But the Titans emerged with an 18-6 victory. A piece of folklore was written into the club's record books.

"I think it was," Cartwright says when asked if that victory was one of the Titans' proudest.

"The Storm at that stage, it was in the middle of all the salary cap issues, had an unbelievable side on paper.

"We hadn't had much luck against them in the past. It sticks out that one. It was a very unexpected win from a punter's point of view."

Cartwright is hoping that memory can help spur his team to another famous win.

That was the only time the Titans have tasted victory in Melbourne. In recent years, their record against the Storm has been woeful.

Melbourne has won its past three matches against the Titans by a combined score of 110-34. The Storm have scored at least 40 points in their three wins over the Titans in Melbourne.

Cartwright said he was mostly pleased with last Sunday's 22-18 loss to the Rabbitohs.

Apart from a poor completion rate (59 per cent), the Titans controlled the match with little luck. Their defence was superb with the Rabbitohs scoring from kicks and an intercept.

Gold Coast forced only one line dropout which was below par considering the field position they had and lock Ashley Harrison said only minor improvements were needed but it was important the Titans started well.

Surfers66
10-08-12, 11:35 AM
Going to take the titans tonight at 8.5 pts start.

Linked in a multi with Manly and Geelong.

Might be low scoring it the Titans game, picking 16-14 to US.

Smakked
10-08-12, 01:08 PM
Excited and scared about to tonight's game. I want to watch it but will be heart broken if we lose.

Boofhead
10-08-12, 01:17 PM
Excited and scared about to tonight's game. I want to watch it but will be heart broken if we loose.

Ill be very loose while watching this game. :drinkies:

Smakked
10-08-12, 01:47 PM
hahaha typo

Titanic
10-08-12, 03:30 PM
I'll be watching the delayed telecast at the pub so will not be commenting so you can all breathe a sigh of relief, although I have just been scheduled to meet with ye olde Midnight Oil singer mid-September so we'd better make the finals :-) Titans x 8

Boofhead
10-08-12, 03:32 PM
2010 Melb vs Us game on fox now.

Boofhead
10-08-12, 04:11 PM
Wow we were terrible in the first half, allowed Quinn to run in three! How on earth did we get away with this one.

We will beat these cheats tonight, I can feel it.

thelwall
10-08-12, 05:16 PM
turned 18 a week ago , im quite loose already and the game hasnt even started

teke
10-08-12, 05:23 PM
turned 18 a week ago , im quite loose already and the game hasnt even startedGo easy on that 6 pack young fella :D

thelwall
10-08-12, 05:45 PM
hahahaahha :) :) still going strong boyzz haha the titans better win tonight - hopefully birdy has a cracker :)

Boofhead
10-08-12, 06:22 PM
Zillman is out.

What the?

DIEHARD
10-08-12, 06:25 PM
We have one of our own in Shamus who was waiting to board his flight to Melbourne this morning on a Death Star flight from the Gold Coast when they were advised that the flight has been cancelled :surprise: , they were then told the next flight available is at 3pm from BRISBANE :doh:

Given the reliability of the airline Shamus will be praying that the flight leaves on time & on arrival at Melbourne's airport that the Cab driver (who will struggle to speak English) will get them to their Hotel in Peak Hour Traffic where after checking in they will then have to get to AAMI Park before kick off:?)

Wow. What a nightmare. Hope our Titans Forum ambassador Shamus makes it there with plenty of time to spare!

Good news to have Bird back. We need to show a lot of maturity and patience if we are going to defeat the Storm. Hopefully we can join the list of clubs who have beaten them so far.

DIEHARD
10-08-12, 06:26 PM
Zillman is out.

What the?

Oh.... Damn. So what happens now?

Boofhead
10-08-12, 06:27 PM
1. Mead
2. Gordon
3. O'Dwyer
4. Idris
5. Michaels

gotitans101
10-08-12, 06:29 PM
Where did you hear that Zilly isn't playing, Boof?

If he isn't then yea, Mead to the back again.

Boofhead
10-08-12, 06:34 PM
9 News and twitter.

gotitans101
10-08-12, 06:46 PM
Cheers Boof.

Boofhead
10-08-12, 07:15 PM
Can't help but feel more confident after this news. Michaels on the wing, seeing less action. Mead getting more ball.

Hope O'Dwyer has tightened up his defense, could be a blessing in disguise if all goes to plan.

gotitans101
10-08-12, 07:18 PM
Updated team list, apparently Zilly has a minor sternum injury but should be back next week:

TITANS
5. David MEAD
2. Kevin GORDON
3. Jamal IDRIS
16. Luke O'DWYER
4. Steve MICHAELS
6. Aidan SEZER
7. Scott PRINCE (c)
8. Luke BAILEY
9. Matt SRAMA
11. Nate MYLES
18. Greg BIRD
15. Ben RIDGE
13. Ashley HARRISON
Bench:
10. Luke DOUGLAS
12. Mark MINICHIELLO
14. Matthew WHITE
17. Beau FALLOON
Coach: John Cartwright

Rage
10-08-12, 07:23 PM
NRL.com Fri, Aug 10, 2012 - 6:58 PM

The Titans have made a number of changes for Friday night's clash with Melbourne. William Zillman is out of the side, with David Mead moving to fullback. Steve Michaels moves to the wing, Luke O'Dwyer to the centres and Ben Ridge and Greg Bird will start in the second row. Luke Douglas and Mark Minichiello move to the bench.

The Storm's first Victorian born and bred player, Mahe Founa, will make his debut, replacing Anthony Quinn on the wing, while Rory Kostjasyn drops off the bench.

Follow all the action live from NRL.com?s Match Centre with official live stats, live radio and detailed match stats.

Now optimised for iPad, the Official Match Centre also includes head-to-head stats, possession breakdowns, team lists, match previews and past highlights.

TITANS
5. David MEAD
2. Kevin GORDON
3. Jamal IDRIS
16. Luke O'DWYER
4. Steve MICHAELS
6. Aidan SEZER
7. Scott PRINCE (c)
8. Luke BAILEY
9. Matt SRAMA
11. Nate MYLES
18. Greg BIRD
15. Ben RIDGE
13. Ashley HARRISON
Bench:
10. Luke DOUGLAS
12. Mark MINICHIELLO
14. Matthew WHITE
17. Beau FALLOON
Coach: John Cartwright

STORM
1. Billy SLATER
2. Sisa WAQA
3. Justin O'NEILL
4. Will CHAMBERS
19. Mahe FOUNA
6. Gareth WIDDOP
7. Cooper CRONK
8. Jesse BROMWICH
9. Cameron SMITH (c)

10. Jason RYLES
11. Sika MANU
12. Ryan HOFFMAN
13. Ryan HINCHCLIFFE
Bench:
14. Todd LOWRIE
15. Bryan NORRIE
16. Jaiman LOWE
17. Kevin PROCTOR
Coach: Craig Bellamy

teke
10-08-12, 07:40 PM
I suddenly got very nervous with my Boy at the back.

I hope he carves !!!

amaline
10-08-12, 07:54 PM
I suddenly got very nervous with my Boy at the back.

I hope he carves !!!

So far, so good. Nice pass by Mead.

teke
10-08-12, 07:55 PM
OMG he dribbled out a try assist hahahaha

Boofhead
10-08-12, 08:00 PM
Great. Harrison injured, Bailey done his achilies.

teke
10-08-12, 08:05 PM
Titans dropping like flies but the tries are coming !!

2 mins 2 injuries :nope:

Jamal's Hamstring
10-08-12, 08:05 PM
Ridge dives from dummy half. The Storm looking like Canberra.

Nick
10-08-12, 08:07 PM
Ridge is easily out most underrated player, I would have him ahead of harro tbh.

teke
10-08-12, 08:30 PM
I agree.

Ridges defence is rock solid. Best front on hitter in team imo

Boofhead
10-08-12, 08:30 PM
What a first half performance from the boys! Defense has been unreal. Only way we can lose this one is if the boys run out of puff.

teke
10-08-12, 08:31 PM
What a first half performance from the boys! Defense has been unreal. Only way we can lose this one is if the boys run out of puff....or bench players

thelwall
10-08-12, 08:37 PM
so who is injured ?

thelwall
10-08-12, 08:37 PM
are the off or what i qld channel 9 isnt working :( punish of living just south of the border

Jamal's Hamstring
10-08-12, 08:40 PM
are the off or what i qld channel 9 isnt working :( punish of living just south of the border

Those beers seem to be working mate. Check Gem. Working well.

Boofhead
10-08-12, 08:44 PM
For ****s sakes.

Refs will do anything to get these cheats back in the game.

Jamal's Hamstring
10-08-12, 08:45 PM
If that was a Storm player its a shepherd. **** call.

Nick
10-08-12, 08:46 PM
Pathetic defence

Boofhead
10-08-12, 08:46 PM
Forward pass. ****ing hell.

Smakked
10-08-12, 08:47 PM
Here we go FFS

Jamal's Hamstring
10-08-12, 08:48 PM
Going to take some big time grit from the boys now... Especially short handed.

Nick
We still got this.. they need to set the line a hell of a lot better. Dougie made two pathetic reads in defence then.

Hail Sezer
Call the ****ing forward pass.

Could Lockyer be any more balatantly bias? wtf.

Hail Sezer
10-08-12, 08:49 PM
Here we ****ing go. **** sakes.

Hail Sezer
10-08-12, 08:52 PM
Why did O'dwyer not feed Gordon then? Was I missing something or was he in the open?

Nick
10-08-12, 08:53 PM
Why did O'dwyer not feed Gordon then? Was I missing something or was he in the open?

Storm had too much cover defence. O'dwyer did well by coming in a bit.

Hail Sezer
10-08-12, 08:54 PM
Sweet, thats relieving. Im watching it on a like 11 inch computer screen haha

Nick
10-08-12, 08:59 PM
great little kick from meady.

Boofhead
10-08-12, 09:00 PM
Sure Bird was milking but ****ing hell, it was deserving of a peno.

Jamal's Hamstring
10-08-12, 09:00 PM
Anyone else think Myles needs a week off to get right? He looks slow and has bigger all push in the tackle.

Hail Sezer
10-08-12, 09:02 PM
Well, ****.

Nick
10-08-12, 09:03 PM
Anyone else think Myles needs a week off to get right? He looks slow and has bigger all push in the tackle.

I wasnt going to say anything, but yes.

He puts in 100% and makes some great tackles, but he is holding that sternum constantly and can barely run. IMO he should have got a hand on slater for his try before.

Jamal's Hamstring
10-08-12, 09:05 PM
Don't get me wrong, hard to fault the commitment of the bloke

Hail Sezer
10-08-12, 09:14 PM
Refer to my username :)

Jamal's Hamstring
10-08-12, 09:15 PM
Now let's put the Mead as FB thing to bed. We need him wide.

Hail Sezer
10-08-12, 09:17 PM
Now let's put the Mead as FB thing to bed. We need him wide.

This. Hes such an asset out wide.

Smakked
10-08-12, 09:19 PM
Its all over FFS

thelwall
10-08-12, 09:19 PM
**** me :(

Boofhead
10-08-12, 09:20 PM
**** me...

Hail Sezer
10-08-12, 09:22 PM

Boofhead
10-08-12, 09:25 PM
Taken out of the game by the ****ing refs.

Boofhead
10-08-12, 09:27 PM
Stepping away from keyboard before I start ripping keys out, laters.

teke
10-08-12, 09:27 PM
That was a b****** forward pass but in the end the purple fellas played better in the 2nd half

Smakked
10-08-12, 09:29 PM
so what happens next year :P

teke
10-08-12, 09:30 PM
Now let's put the Mead as FB thing to bed. We need him wide.He only went out wide cause he was cramping.

I told everyone he needs games to last the entire 80mins at FB, so much more running. He'd be alot fitter if he didnt waste away on the wing for majority of the games. He played alright tonight

Bayside Titan
10-08-12, 09:31 PM
Yeah I thought the refs again had a big role to play in the result. However I am really proud of the boys playing 2 down for practically the whole game. No one really had a bad game.

Nick
10-08-12, 09:32 PM
He only went out wide cause he was cramping.

I told everyone he needs games to last the entire 80mins at FB, so much more running. He'd be alot fitter if he didnt waste away on the wing for majority of the games. He played alright tonight

Yeh Mead had a good game at the back.. He needs more experience there with positioning and fitness, but great effort.. Problem is the only way he will get experience is by playing in QCUP.

teke
10-08-12, 09:32 PM
Yeah I thought the refs again had a big role to play in the result. However I am really proud of the boys playing 2 down for practically the whole game. No one really had a bad game.I was content aswell. They played alright

Jamal's Hamstring
10-08-12, 09:35 PM
He only went out wide cause he was cramping.

He did very well. I just think we need that attacking option he provides out wide.

Ridge played very well. O'Dwyer had some great moments but also had brain explosions. Most very dependable. Without early injuries I think we would have continued the first half dominance.

Smakked
10-08-12, 09:37 PM
I felt like this watching that game

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aGlVtNXLMmA&feature=player_embedded

Boonarga
10-08-12, 09:39 PM
Q: In most of the recent games what have been our worst periods?
A: When Srama is off the field.

Great coaching.

Not saying Falloon is bad, but he's not Srama.

TITAN PETE
10-08-12, 09:41 PM
Why is it the Protected Species get all the 50 50 calls ,,,, we were never going to win when we lost Bails he is our Rock, losing Harro hurt as well.... The ref gets in Chalkys way , Sheperd ,, I don't think so , Chalky gets in Slaters way that's a penalty, but neither was as bad as the forward pass that lead to Cronks try , thought I was watching a Union game..

Good games from Ridge,Myles,Mead & Chalky absolute rubbish from one of my hero's in Bird , should've stayed on the sideline.

If Baileys out anymore than 2 weeks we are no chance, need him against Manly.

Cheers your rings off for the Dragons or we are Gonnne.

karnage
10-08-12, 09:42 PM
Devastated.

I wouldn't be too hard on anybody out of that performance, least of all Falloon. There were a couple of contentious calls but to say we were beaten by the refs is a huge stretch.

It is just about impossible to win with a 15 man rotation in the modern era. Brave, brave effort.

TITAN PETE
10-08-12, 09:43 PM
Q: In most of the recent games what have been our worst periods?
A: When Srama is off the field.

Great coaching.

Not saying Falloon is bad, but he's not Srama.

Rubbish , I think that's why we have gone well in recent weeks,,, no team will beat a top 4 side with only 15 players for 65 minutes :nope:

teke
10-08-12, 09:48 PM
He did very well. I just think we need that attacking option he provides out wide.

Ridge played very well. O'Dwyer had some great moments but also had brain explosions. Most very dependable. Without early injuries I think we would have continued the first half dominance.Ridge is so dominant in defence.

Him and Proctor came up together and I think he is slowly and surely taking him over as the better player.

Nick
10-08-12, 09:51 PM
Ridge is so dominant in defence.

Him and Proctor came up together and I think he is slowly and surely taking him over as the better player.

Yep I am a massive fan of Ridge. Every hit is dominant, had another great game tonight.

teke
10-08-12, 09:51 PM
Devastated.

I wouldn't be too hard on anybody out of that performance, least of all Falloon. There were a couple of contentious calls but to say we were beaten by the refs is a huge stretch.

It is just about impossible to win with a 15 man rotation in the modern era. Brave, brave effort.Yeah we weren't beaten by the refs.

I thought the team played alright and steadied the ship after the Storms initial 2nd half blitz. It had all the makings to get worse but the team stuck tough.

karnage
10-08-12, 10:07 PM
Yep I am a massive fan of Ridge. Every hit is dominant, had another great game tonight.

I love Ridge!!

teke
10-08-12, 10:10 PM
It wont be long til he is pretty much the man of the Titan forwards.

Jamal's Hamstring
10-08-12, 10:10 PM
Yeah we weren't beaten by the refs.

I thought the team played alright and steadied the ship after the Storms initial 2nd half blitz. It had all the makings to get worse but the team stuck tough.

Refs were fairly even I thought. We got some gift metres as well.

Boofhead
10-08-12, 10:29 PM
Refs were fairly even I thought. We got some gift metres as well.

Ref gets in the way of our defenders in their first try (reminiscent of the Dragons game). Forward pass second try. Bird cops a clear high shot and no penalty.

Jamal's Hamstring
10-08-12, 10:34 PM
Agreed on the refs shepherd.

Are you talking about Bird inside the ten? I don't think it was that high, I think he tried to milk it.

I didn't notice the forward pass so can't comment either way.

Bayside Titan
10-08-12, 10:44 PM
I think that if you go back and just watch the game we played well but like others have mentioned we played 65 odd minutes with 15 players. I am like a lot of others that would have liked to have seen a win against the Storm but I just saw the game for what it was, a Storm Team only just pushing past a tired team.

But I have a few questions that I have been scratching my head about.
1. Why take Zilly to Melbourne if he was injured? Why not Graham/ Jarvin White/ Dowling?
2. If Zilly did have a Sternum problem why not take a spoon full of cement and harden up because how long has Myles been playing with a Stern problem?
3. Why take Zilly if he was injured as he wasted a potential 18th man for us to compensate for Harrison hurting himself in the warm up?

This to me doesnt sound like a good foundation for a win to try and stay intouch with the top 8.

Boonarga
11-08-12, 01:08 AM
Rubbish , I think that's why we have gone well in recent weeks,,, no team will beat a top 4 side with only 15 players for 65 minutes :nope:

Crap.
I don't mind Falloon. He's a good player. Simple fact is we are not the same team when Srama goes off. I don't see that prick C Smith sitting on the bench for half a game each week. We have one of the best hookers in the game but our genius coach is killing him.

Titanic
11-08-12, 01:12 AM
Not much to say.

A poorly prepared but whole-hearted team owned by a patient, skilled opponent. No amount of praise for a very good effort can disguise the fact that our team is just not good enough. Experimenting with key positions at this stage of the season demonstrates exactly that.

I despise the Storm for many reasons but I can't help but admire their structure and discipline whereas we had neither when we so badly needed it.

They made more mistakes than we did but didn't stand around waving their arms in exagerated protest, lying on the ground pathetically trying to milk penalties or staring daggers at each other when they missed tackles ... very sad indeed.

teke
11-08-12, 01:32 AM
Not much to say.

A poorly prepared but whole-hearted team owned by a patient, skilled opponent. No amount of praise for a very good effort can disguise the fact that our team is just not good enough. Experimenting with key positions at this stage of the season demonstrates exactly that.

I despise the Storm for many reasons but I can't help but admire their structure and discipline whereas we had neither when we so badly needed it.

They made more mistakes than we did but didn't stand around waving their arms in exagerated protest, lying on the ground pathetically trying to milk penalties or staring daggers at each other when they missed tackles ... very sad indeed.Where was the experiment in key positions?

Arn't you the one that wants Bird at left centre?

TITAN PETE
11-08-12, 06:56 AM
Storm down Titans in Melbourne
Travis Meyn **|**09:55pm August 10, 2012

GOLD Coast's finals dreams took a battering in Melbourne tonight with possible season-ending injuries to star forwards Luke Bailey and Ashley Harrison further souring a 24-16 loss to the Storm.

Bailey limped off after just seven minutes with a serious achilles tendon injury while Harrison suffered a strained gluteus in the warm-up and lasted just 17 minutes. The Titans didn't have a replacement on standby after fullback Will Zillman succumb to a sternum injury on game day.

The Titans must now win all three remaining matches to have any chance of making the finals. If they manage to end the season perfectly, it is likely points difference will decide if they sneak into September action.

It was a crushing result for the John Cartwright-coached team, who produced a stunning first half performance to lead 10-0 at the break.

But the Storm clicked into gear in the second half after a spray from coach Craig Bellamy, scoring three unanswered tries to set up their second straight win and put the Titans' finals hopes on life support.

Bailey's night looked doomed from the start when he knocked on with the Titans' first use of the ball. He limped off soon after in the hands of trainers and was sporting crutches for the rest of the night.

Melbourne's debutant winger Mahe Fonua, the first Victorian-born NRL player, copped a baptism of fire and it didn't take long for the Titans to begin their assault on the youngster when a bad read from the rookie allowed David Mead to find Steve Michaels for the opening try.

Harrison left the field but it didn't hault the Titans' momentum and they scored again after a Fonua mistake, this time forward Ben Ridge dived over from dummy-half for his first try of the year.

Mead, who deputised at fullback in the absence of Zillman, was caught out of position by Storm skipper Cameron Smith, who produced a pin-point 40-20 kick which resulted in three repeat sets for the Storm.

But the Titans' desperation in defence saw them hold out numerous raids from a flying Billy Slater and head in to the sheds with a morale-boosting lead.

That's where the joy ended for the Gold Coast though as a fired up Storm outfit, led superbly by Smith, clicked into gear.

A side-stepping Sisa Waqa put Slater into space for the Storm's first points and they backed it up when Cooper Cronk scored in the next set after Gareth Widdop charged on to a suspect Smith offload.

Ryan Hoffman ran a clinical line to give the Storm an 18-10 lead but the Titans hit back when Mead ran on to an Aidan Sezer chip.

That hope was short-lived though as a string of passes led to Widdop sealing the Storm victory in the 75th minute.

Julius Sezer
11-08-12, 09:28 AM
im surprised that no one is talking about our defence in the first half. Defence is what is winning us games but sadly with 2 people injured its not going to be easy at the end. Cam Smith made easy metres from dummy half through the latter stages of the game.

TITAN PETE
11-08-12, 10:28 AM
im surprised that no one is talking about our defence in the first half. Defence is what is winning us games but sadly with 2 people injured its not going to be easy at the end. Cam Smith made easy metres from dummy half through the latter stages of the game.

That's where Bails is so good, u see it whenever he leaves the field..

Jamal's Hamstring
11-08-12, 10:52 AM
Can't really recommend Bailey after last night... Only a handful of minutes and one dropped ball which should really have cost us. I don't think playing Myles at the moment is a good option. The big fella needs a chance to recover.

Ridge was immense last night. Mead good as always. Scotty forgot his kicking boots. Odwyer had moments a brilliance but is still prone to dumb ****. Srama always quality. Even Jamal looked somewhat interested.

Julius Sezer
11-08-12, 11:04 AM
Idris made some desperate tackles in defence

Ryan
11-08-12, 11:04 AM
We lost by 8 points that came from a forward pass and an obstruction.
Considering we were down 3 starting players after 15mins, what ever their other shortfalls, its hard to knock the boys for this loss.

Titanic
11-08-12, 11:14 AM
Arn't you the one that wants Bird at left centre?

Yes I am. Bird plays 100% left side so that is hardly an experiment although he is obviously playing busted so he should not be picked at all. His spiteful and petulant performances since his return are very disappointing.

Other than taking aim at Bird, I am not going to criticise what was a pretty valiant effort. I thought the fringe players O'Dwyer, Michaels and Falloon all put in really well.

All personal favourites aside, blind Freddy can see that Cartwright is not using the players properly, case in point Idris. In him we have a match winner. The conditions last night were perfect for the big unit but in attack he was a just taking up space.

teke
11-08-12, 12:29 PM
Yes I am. Bird plays 100% left side so that is hardly an experiment although he is obviously playing busted so he should not be picked at all. His spiteful and petulant performances since his return are very disappointing.

Other than taking aim at Bird, I am not going to criticise what was a pretty valiant effort. I thought the fringe players O'Dwyer, Michaels and Falloon all put in really well.

All personal favourites aside, blind Freddy can see that Cartwright is not using the players properly, case in point Idris. In him we have a match winner. The conditions last night were perfect for the big unit but in attack he was a just taking up space.Playing left side and playing left centre are not the same thing although i can see your pt. Ok if Bird is supposedly injured this week would you as coach leave him out to make way for Hendololol. :D

teke
11-08-12, 01:01 PM
On another Forum there is a Cam Smith thread which alleges Cam Smith deliberately targets and drops his knee into Baileys Achilles.

If so this guy needs to be....:nope:

Ryan
11-08-12, 01:29 PM
On another Forum there is a Cam Smith thread which alleges Cam Smith deliberately targets and drops his knee into Baileys Achilles.

If so this guy needs to be....:nope:

Doesn't surprise me, typical tactic from the Donohue trained Storm, ****in grubs ....

I just had a look at what I recorded last night, it's not Cam Smith it was Todd Lowrie. The camera view is blocked by Nate Myles on initial contact, but you can see he goes into Baileys legs leading with his knees. It would be hard to prove to be deliberant, unless another camera angle shows something more. But Storm have form on this type of **** :mad:

thelwall
11-08-12, 01:37 PM
i just dont like them they are grubs its a joke - they always do dirty tackling

teke
11-08-12, 01:41 PM
Thread maker over at younder is on drugs, there was nothing in it.

Coaster
11-08-12, 03:24 PM
I thought we played well.

Defence was outstanding in the first half.

Toads
11-08-12, 03:42 PM
Tend to agree with Pete when it comes to last night's game.

Even though we generally fell short of a few wins this year. I can't help but think we're building on something BIG of 2013. We'll be in the Top 4 all next season long!

kwigibo
11-08-12, 03:42 PM
I'm sick of these contrived losses, I miss last year when they lost just by being bad.

I've come to the realization that if I want my team to succeed, they'll probably need to play like the storm ie; cheat constantly in the ruck in a manner that you don't constantly get penalised. There's a trick to it, and it was more effective when your owners also owned the league and the salary cap didn't apply to you.

Would I still want to support them, though?

teke
11-08-12, 03:44 PM
Tend to agree with Pete when it comes to last night's game.

Even though we generally fell short of a few wins this year. I can't help but think we're building on something BIG of 2013. We'll be in the Top 4 all next season long!That's why im not too disheartened atm because I can see a good 2013 coming up. I think they will be top 8 all year long next year.

Toads
11-08-12, 03:48 PM
Realistically, you're spot on, teke. I'm just being very slightly over optimistic. :)

Titanic
11-08-12, 04:07 PM
Playing left side and playing left centre are not the same thing although i can see your pt. Ok if Bird is supposedly injured this week would you as coach leave him out to make way for Hendololol. :D

The way Cartwright sets them up it is exactly the same = stand flat, no pass or turn the ball back inside. All the punters can bet their last brass razzoos that Henderson will be back this week.

Even though we generally fell short of a few wins this year. I can't help but think we're building on something BIG of 2013. We'll be in the Top 4 all next season long!

Not without some sort of relief in the backs ... we have really got nothing out of Champion and if he is our future then we are stuffed. Idris will not blossom under this structure either so a top 8 position will still be a lottery.

C-Whiz
11-08-12, 04:42 PM

It is just about impossible to win with a 15 man rotation in the modern era. Brave, brave effort.
Yeah we weren't beaten by the refs.

Idris made some desperate tackles in defence
We lost by 8 points that came from a forward pass and an obstruction.
Considering we were down 3 starting players after 15mins, what ever their other shortfalls, its hard to knock the boys for this loss.
I thought we played well.

Defence was outstanding in the first half.All of the above.

We got caught short in the first 10 minutes after the break, and the Storm try off the forward pass was ridiculous, but we hung tough and I thought it was a great effort. Not our best game, but we showed the sort of heart that proves that the players believe in themselves again. Even Jamal earnt almost half of his paycheck last night.

Jamal's Hamstring
11-08-12, 04:43 PM
I have no issue with how the Storm plays the game. As a matter of fact I respect their structure, their discipline and I believe Bellamy is the best coach in the game.

Opposition fans aways whinge about 'that other mob of grubs.' I like the mongrel. I like it when Bird and Myles do their dirty little tricks in tackles.

Its football. Don't whinge when we get a little bit back. It's not a new invention and it's not going away.

Ryan
11-08-12, 04:57 PM
I have no issue with how the Storm plays the game. As a matter of fact I respect their structure, their discipline and I believe Bellamy is the best coach in the game.

Opposition fans aways whinge about 'that other mob of grubs.' I like the mongrel. I like it when Bird and Myles do their dirty little tricks in tackles.

Its football. Don't whinge when we get a little bit back. It's not a new invention and it's not going away.

Manipulating crucial joints, tendons, spinal cords and such IS NOT ****ING FOOTBALL!

The tactics the Storm players have been trained to employ are even banned in cage fighting, and for very good reason. And some people are worried about shoulder charges...... :nope:

I have no respect for clubs, coaches or players who structure their game on covertly injuring a grounded opponent. It's a blight on our game :boo:

Theres a diffence between rubbing your forearm is someones face and placing pressure on his spinal cord....

Tamwelg
11-08-12, 05:25 PM
All of the above.

We got caught short in the first 10 minutes after the break, and the Storm try off the forward pass was ridiculous, but we hung tough and I thought it was a great effort. Not our best game, but we showed the sort of heart that proves that the players believe in themselves again. Even Jamal earnt almost half of his paycheck last night.

I agree, but I'll add I was not a fan of Mead up the back. He went ok for his first game there for the Titans, but he's killing it on the wing and should stay there IMO.

Jamal's Hamstring
11-08-12, 05:34 PM
Manipulating crucial joints, tendons, spinal cords and such IS NOT ****ING FOOTBALL!

The tactics the Storm players have been trained to employ are even banned in cage fighting, and for very good reason. And some people are worried about shoulder charges...... :nope:

Got an example of that happening last night? As a matter of fact I don't think I recall seeing spinal cords, tendons or small joints (it's small joint manipulation that is banned in MMA- not crucial joint [I'd suggest knees, elbows, shoulders are crucial and all are target of legal moves in 'cage fighting'] being zoned in on recently in any game.

The tactics the Storm employ- or have employed in the past- are designed to slow the play the ball. Most teams employ the very same tactics now. Grapple tackles and chicken wings are outlawed and penalised accordingly. Often leg pulls are as well.

Look- I'm disappointed we lost too. I don't think the Storm are the embodiment of evil.

I'm also curious why you feel rubbing forearms / elbows on a grounded opponent are ok? Isn't the intent the same? Injure / intimidate? Maybe antagonise to give rise to retaliation and a penalty.

Jamal's Hamstring
11-08-12, 05:38 PM
he's killing it on the wing and should stay there IMO.

If it ain't broke.... Given Zilly's withdrawal prompted the move, but I really prefer Meady crossing over once or twice a game from the wing :thumbsup:

Bloke's a gun.

Ryan
11-08-12, 06:51 PM
Got an example of that happening last night? As a matter of fact I don't think I recall seeing spinal cords, tendons or small joints (it's small joint manipulation that is banned in MMA- not crucial joint [I'd suggest knees, elbows, shoulders are crucial and all are target of legal moves in 'cage fighting'] being zoned in on recently in any game.

The tactics the Storm employ- or have employed in the past- are designed to slow the play the ball. Most teams employ the very same tactics now. Grapple tackles and chicken wings are outlawed and penalised accordingly. Often leg pulls are as well.

Look- I'm disappointed we lost too. I don't think the Storm are the embodiment of evil.

I'm also curious why you feel rubbing forearms / elbows on a grounded opponent are ok? Isn't the intent the same? Injure / intimidate? Maybe antagonise to give rise to retaliation and a penalty.

Someone questioned an existing Storm-introduced tactic (rolling pin) being used in last nights game, obviously it hasn't been verified or proven, but my point was that the Storm have form with that type of conduct and it's not surprising to hear such allegation.

Pretty much every tackling technique that has been made illegal in the last few years was introduced by the Storm. Grapple, chin-strap, crusher - all tackles that put dangerous pressure on the neck. Then theres the chicken wing, ripper and rolling pin. There is numerous amounts of video\photo evidence showing it, and the Storm have indisputably been critisized by almost every relevant figure in the game for introducing them. Some teams copied the Storm after seeing them get away with it, but no other team has categorically developed & introduced them like the Storm has.

You gotta question ones ethics when they continually decide that gaining a half second avantage in a game is worth risking long term injury on another athlete. 16 teams in the comp, only one of them consistently brings the games sportsmanship into disrepute. A simple google search reveals one common denominator when searching NRL stories\photos regarding illegal and injury threatening tactics...

And if you can't distinguish the diffence between a face rub and your neck being twisted or crushed - Then you are either in denial or just a lost cause :duh2:

teke
11-08-12, 07:26 PM
I agree, but I'll add I was not a fan of Mead up the back. He went ok for his first game there for the Titans, but he's killing it on the wing and should stay there IMO.Stay on the wing begging for the ball while a Q Cup ring in goes to FB (when Zilly is out)? You wont keep him at the club if he is not moved after next year

Jamal's Hamstring
11-08-12, 08:24 PM
Someone questioned an existing Storm-introduced tactic (rolling pin) being used in last nights game, obviously it hasn't been verified or proven, but my point was that the Storm have form with that type of conduct and it's not surprising to hear such allegation.

Pretty much every tackling technique that has been made illegal in the last few years was introduced by the Storm. Grapple, chin-strap, crusher - all tackles that put dangerous pressure on the neck. Then theres the chicken wing, ripper and rolling pin. There is numerous amounts of video\photo evidence showing it, and the Storm have indisputably been critisized by almost every relevant figure in the game for introducing them. Some teams copied the Storm after seeing them get away with it, but no other team has categorically developed & introduced them like the Storm has.

You gotta question ones ethics when they continually decide that gaining a half second avantage in a game is worth risking long term injury on another athlete. 16 teams in the comp, only one of them consistently brings the games sportsmanship into disrepute. A simple google search reveals one common denominator when searching NRL stories\photos regarding illegal and injury threatening tactics...

And if you can't distinguish the diffence between a face rub and your neck being twisted or crushed - Then you are either in denial or just a lost cause :duh2:

We'll have to agree to disagree there mate. I will grant you the salary cap thing (althought not mentioned here) is a big issue, but the Storm weren't the only one's caught in the history of the game, and nor are they the only team giving out top ups to make deals more enticing.

teke- Meady is really keen for the shift to get more ball? I wonder if he would be happier on the wing with better service from higher quality ball players? Is it a distinct want to play FB, or is it simply he isn't getting the ball under the current game plan?

teke
12-08-12, 12:18 AM
teke- Meady is really keen for the shift to get more ball? I wonder if he would be happier on the wing with better service from higher quality ball players? Is it a distinct want to play FB, or is it simply he isn't getting the ball under the current game plan?In current squad he is happy doing what he can for the team to win cause that's how Dave is. I have been in his ear that he should not be on the wing in 2 yrs time, my words not his. Getting more ball will probably be the result from the team being more successful which is usually the case in any successful squad.

TITAN PETE
12-08-12, 07:56 AM
A couple of stats from the match that tell the story

Storm 55% Possesion

Titans 46 Missed Tackles

Titanic
12-08-12, 11:03 AM
I think the Mead issue should be about the role that best suits his skills.

B.Morris, Yowyeh and Uate are highly prized specialist wingmen as is Mead, the difference being they get plenty of ball.

Moving club is one thing but moving club to be fullback is something else. If fullback is his desire which team should he move to for his own good? Is he going to replace Dugan, Coote, Gordon, Stewart, Slater, Bowen, Boyd, Locke, Barba, Moltzen and so on? Maybe he can but not with any certainty.

He would be better advised to negotiate an up-graded contract which I am sure everyone would agree with and demand more ball where he can best use his skills. I have to agree with Tamwelg that he went ok on Friday but was a lot more impressive on the wing. If he seriously wants to play fullback, even in front of the QCup mplayers, he needs an off-season learning it with the team.

Julius Sezer
12-08-12, 12:49 PM
The only try Mead scored on friday night was when he was playing on the wing. Is that a sign?

Chaos
12-08-12, 02:07 PM
The only try Mead scored on friday night was when he was playing on the wing. Is that a sign?

Not really...he hasn't had much training in the fullback position and was thrown in there at the last minute.
With the right coaching he could possibly go well at fullback.

In saying that...He's been great on the Titans wing and would like to see him stay there...I also think Zillman suits fullback but could do a whole lot better with a good technical coach.

Coaster
12-08-12, 04:58 PM
I thought KG went good at fullback when he went back there.
Was good catching up with the boys after the game.

DavidBouveng
12-08-12, 06:32 PM

He also gave a 'running the late sweep extra man try assist' that weve been wanting Zillman to do for 2 years.

Mead did it in his first game... is that a sign?

Im happy if Davids happy, i think given time, he could be an amazing broken field fullback, but he could also be a Brett Morris, Uate, even Ash Graham, guys who rack up 16-24 tries a year as a specialist winger. it all depends on the service he gets.

Titanic
12-08-12, 09:07 PM
This is my point ... we just don't play to our strengths.

shamus
19-08-12, 11:04 AM

OK....Old news now but if any is interested I will tell you a story. I booked my flights to Melbourne months and months ago and booked Friday flights in case of a Friday night game. Which it turned out to be. I also booked early flights in case of any delays. Well Jetstar came back to me around a month ago with info that my flight was moved back 2 hours. No worrries I said to myself, still plenty of time to get from airport to motel, relax over a beer or two then head to the game. So come game day (Friday) I receive a text at 9am stating my flight has been cancelled and to check my emails. WHAT!...9am and they cancel!! My flight was 1pm so they have given me 4 hours notice! So I get onto my email and no details of another flight just an option to fill out a form and redeeem a $100 flight voucher that must be used within 3 months! Absolutely no good to me as I have my next lot of flights (GF) already booked and paid for. (Unfortunately Jetstar again). But hang on, I am now getting to the REALLY annoying part.

I am forced to ring their Call Centre (we all know where that is) and ask what the fark is going on as I need to be in Melbourne absolutely no later than 4pm. After some lengthy time waiting for some feedback (and in the meantime I have told the missus to have everything packed and at the door in case of a flight within the next hour or two) I get told the only other flight is at 4:30 or thereabouts. As it is a 2 hour flight to Melbourne this was not acceptable and I told them so. 'OK then sir then there is nothing we can do!' PIGS FARKIN' AR$E was my reply. Get me on a freaking flight and do it now! So it seemed there was no other Jetstar flights out of GC or Brisbane but there was a Qantas flight in Brisbane they were willing to put me on. Trouble is that this flight was also near 4pm and I had no means of getting to Brisbane unless I drove myself and paid around $100 parking for the week so I asked for the times of the GC flight again. 'Sorry sir, that flight is now full'. What tha!....You freaking idiots didn't keep that window open for me whilst we discussed my options! GRRR!! I asked to be put on the Qantas flight out of Brisbane as I had no other option left. I then begged my daughter who was taking us to GC airport could she possibly take us to Brissie. (My return flight was into GC so unless I cancelled and rebooked I was gunna have trouble getting up to Brissie to get my car if I drove myself). My wonderful daughter said yes so although our flight was now hours and hours away we left straight for Brissie to hope for an earlier flight. To cut a long story short (coz it is getting kind of long) and after a whole lot more **** in Brissie (I went right off...sorry Jetstar...nah not really) I managed to get a 1pm flight! Woohoo!! and not only that I had my own choice of movie to watch (I chose Battleship) got free sandwiches and the best part was the free beer! That part was surprising, but I took it with both hands.

So all turned out well in the end, except for the Titans result....and thank you DM for my free tickets to the game..

Rant now over...

Titanic
19-08-12, 01:14 PM
Now if the rest of the sheep would take a similar position then the airlines wouldn't get away with the murder that they do due to apathy ... my deepest respect Shamus!