PDA

View Full Version : NRL: Broncos flyer finds more gas

Queenslander
31-01-06, 11:42 PM
BRISBANE wing Leon Bott has achieved what was seemingly impossible: he's got even faster.

The Brisbane speedster, who announced his arrival with 13 tries as a schoolboy rookie last season, has stripped 6kg from his frame in an attempt to cement a keenly contested wing spot for the Broncos' season opener against North Queensland.

Dropped from the side for last year's semi-final loss to Wests Tigers, Bott asked Brisbane coach Wayne Bennett how he could improve his game - and was told that his playing weight was hampering his blistering pace.

"I did feel a bit slower towards the end of last year and I came up to Wayne and talked to him about getting faster, and we came up with the solution of trying to lose some weight and body fat," Bott said.

"I was weighing about 94-95kg and I'm sitting at about 88-89 now.

"We've got a new performance co-ordinator (Dean Benton) and he has helped me a lot with my weight loss.

"Now I feel a bit quicker and fitter."

Shedding the kilos has resulted in improved pace, with Bott recording faster 40m sprint times than in the corresponding period last year in pre-season testing, clocking in at just under 5sec over the distance.

But he has lost his mantle as the fastest man at the Broncos, with rookie Denan Kemp, who's only played 33 rugby league games, pipping him over the distance during the club's latest sprint trials.

Bott, 19, had previously finished second to New Zealand flyer Fraser Anderson, the younger brother of Kiwi internationals Vinnie and Louis.
Kemp and Anderson are yet to play in the NRL.

"It's good to have a couple of young people coming up the ranks to keep you on your toes," Bott said.

"Next time I will definitely try and get them."

Bott, who stands at just 175cm, has also tried to improve other aspects of his game, most notably his form under the high ball, after rival teams targeted him with bombs and cross-field kicks last season.

"I've been working on the high ball and defence as well as getting a bit more strength in the gym," he said.

"I got dropped last year for the Wests Tigers game and I was really disappointed about that.

"I really want to secure a spot in first grade this year."

http://foxsports.news.com.au/story/0,8659,17995068-23214,00.html

Super Cronk
31-01-06, 11:59 PM
Another thing webcke said this week that is very true. You can be the fastest guy or the fitest guy during pre-season and training, but its worth nothing if that doesnt translate into your game play.

Queenslander
01-02-06, 12:01 AM
Another thing webcke said this week that is very true. You can be the fastest guy or the fitest guy during pre-season and training, but its worth nothing if that doesnt translate into your game play.

Thats true, and being faster wont get rid of "end of year slip ups" But this is showing that Benton is making changes for the good and hopefully it will lead to even better results for the Broncos.

DeeGan
01-02-06, 12:58 AM
Whats scarier?

Bott saying something like this at his age "It's good to have a couple of young people coming up the ranks to keep you on your toes"

or

Bott is getting faster yet still has two players at the club beating him time wise over 40m?

DeeGan

zacaroo
19-09-06, 10:35 AM
Denan Kemp is super fast but he is also a superb finisher in the next year or so I see him entering the NRL..

[BroncosGirl]
19-09-06, 12:25 PM
I really hope Kemp gets a shot at the NRL!
Hes a gun player! Much better all over package then Bott IMO.

SpRiNgWoOd
19-09-06, 01:25 PM
Kemp is not up to nrl standard he is still way to green and wont be ready for some time although i do agree with broncosgirl in the fact that he is a better overall package than bott, bott was a nuffie he only had pace!

Kemp needs to get past alot of much more experinced players in boyd, michaels, tame etc he is probably half the player these guys are

but a prospect all the same a few more years in the q cup will do him the world of good (nrl at this stage could ruin his career) but i would not be suprised if he gets jack of waiting in the wings and goes elsewhere!

[BroncosGirl]
19-09-06, 01:36 PM
A few more years? I think maybe next year, and thats it! He might not be 100% up to NRL standard, HOWEVER, with baby broncos next year and such, I believe he should be given a chance for some experience.

I hope he does not go else where.

SpRiNgWoOd
19-09-06, 02:23 PM
I hope for the kids sake he gets a shot at the top grade but the reality of the situation is if he wants to play nrl week in week out he may need to look elsewhere! I feel he is a little overated at times i hope im wrong but his fututre is not as bright as tame, steve michaels and darius boyd who will always get the jump ahead of him for the jobs out on the flanks! i dont think he will get a shot next year only time will i guess! i hope you can prove me wrong kemp!!!!!!!!! :)

TITANS007
20-09-06, 08:24 AM
Whats scarier?

Bott saying something like this at his age "It's good to have a couple of young people coming up the ranks to keep you on your toes"

or

Bott is getting faster yet still has two players at the club beating him time wise over 40m?

DeeGan

Ha ha ha ha ha ha!!! :clap:

zacaroo
20-09-06, 10:33 AM
I hope for the kids sake he gets a shot at the top grade but the reality of the situation is if he wants to play nrl week in week out he may need to look elsewhere! I feel he is a little overated at times i hope im wrong but his fututre is not as bright as tame, steve michaels and darius boyd who will always get the jump ahead of him for the jobs out on the flanks! i dont think he will get a shot next year only time will i guess! i hope you can prove me wrong kemp!!!!!!!!! :)

I am surprised when tame or someone is out he doesnt get a call up; bott isn't as good compared to denan and he got to play and he was like 18..it makes no sense why they havent put him in yet..