DIEHARD
19-06-12, 08:54 AM
QUEENSLAND vs NEW SOUTH WALES
Wednesday 8pm 4 July - Lang Park

DIEHARD
19-06-12, 08:56 AM
Bird looks like he will play.

Glenn Stewart won't.

Slater looks out. Hope we put Inglis to fullback and Barba to wing.

Toads
19-06-12, 11:28 AM
I really do hope Barba gets a run this time. As it'll be interesting to see how well he'll step up to the intensity of Origin Footy..

TITAN PETE
19-06-12, 04:26 PM
Bird looks like he will play.

Glenn Stewart won't.

Slater looks out. Hope we put Inglis to fullback and Barba to wing.

Dane Neilson hasn't let u guys down in the past & i'd think Meninga will take him ahead of throwing Barba in when its a decider

DIEHARD
21-06-12, 08:46 AM
My brother tells me that he has got me a ticket to the decider at Lang Park. What a LEGEND! :thumbsup:

Titanic
21-06-12, 09:32 AM
The Thurston/Bowen combination gets my vote and leaving the others where they have been playing well.

DIEHARD
21-06-12, 09:58 AM
Queensland should pick Bowen: Alexander

Mal Meninga is blessed with options to replace injured Queensland fullback Billy Slater but I would go slightly left-field and name Matt Bowen.

Greg Inglis is probably favourite for the Maroons fullback spot given his sensational form from the back for South Sydney this year.

Canterbury's Ben Barba is another leading candidate - he has certainly developed into a State of Origin player this season under new Canterbury coach Des Hasler. Barba would no doubt excel in the Origin furnace.

We also shouldn't forget Darius Boyd - fullback for St George Illawarra in the 2010 grand final and now under Wayne Bennett at Newcastle. Boyd is a proven match-winner at the highest level.

Meninga would be safe with any other of these but I reckon Bowen is the man.

Bowen's form this season at North Queensland has been absolutely first-class. He is experienced, hardened yet still has that striking speed. And, most importantly, I think Bowen would ignite Cowboys teammate Johnathan Thurston. Bowen and Thurston have this uncanny combination at North Queensland. They read each other beautifully.

Thurston has had, for his standards, a quiet series and not that Bowen isn’t good enough to win the fullback spot on his own merits, but the effect his inclusion might have on the Maroons no.6 must surely be part of Mal Meninga’s thinking.

I genuinely believe Inglis would be best left at centre. He has a settled combination with left winger Boyd and moving Inglis would disrupt Meninga's entire backline. There is no real need to reshuffle your backline when Bowen is fit, ready and willing to step in.

Bowen will give the Maroons a real edge in attack. Last Friday against Brisbane, Bowen ran 19 times for 211 metres. He made 15 tackle busts, one linebreak and was involved in two try assists. These stats might just be the clincher in his bid for an Origin recall.

There could be another change to the Queensland side. From all reports, big Dave Taylor is struggling to hold his place. He was disappointing in Origin II and has admitted he let himself down. Sometimes I think Taylor has to be repeatedly told he has the size and power of a freight train.

Taylor should be among the most damaging forwards in the game.

Don't get me wrong, I think he has played a number of strong and powerful games for Souths this year but he just needs to do it on a regular and consistent basis. I would still have him in my 17, just not starting.

I will go into greater depth next week about Origin III but NSW must now feel like they have Queensland's measure.

The Blues aren't and won't be intimidated anymore. The mind games Queensland used to play with NSW are well and truly over.

NSW face their own selection issue after Manly back-rower Glenn Stewart partially tore a medial ligament in Monday night's match against Melbourne at Brookvale. It is a whopping blow for the Blues - Stewart is constantly dangerous on that right edge and also has that natural combination with brother Brett from fullback.

But Glenn is out and NSW must now move on.

In my eyes, coach Ricky Stuart will look at three options: Beau Scott, Ryan Hoffman and Feleti Mateo. My choice: Scott. His form this year has, in all honesty, been modest through injury and playing in a struggling Dragons side.

But Scott is an Origin player. He has represented NSW previously and you know exactly what you're going to get each time he hits the field. He is tough, uncompromising and one of the best defensive players in the NRL.

Some players have that knack of being in average form at NRL level before lifting several notches when it comes to playing Queensland. Scott is one player who can do that. Mind you, NSW would also have to consider Mateo from the New Zealand Warriors.

He wasn’t at his best against Cronulla last week but his form leading into that game had been very good. Mateo would give NSW some creativity and a bit of X-factor. He can slip a ball in traffic and just might be able to come up with a play when needed.

I would throw Mateo in if in fact NSW lose a second back-rower in Greg Bird. Bird damaged a pectoral muscle playing for Gold Coast last weekend and remains in doubt for Origin III at Suncorp Stadium.

The final back-rower to be considered should be Melbourne's Ryan Hoffman.

Hoffman was a tad slow to start the season but over the past six weeks his form has been stellar. I thought he was among Melbourne's best in their 26-22 win over Manly on Monday evening. He’s been there before, runs good lines and won't let you down defensively.

Tony Williams of course would slot back in but he’s at long odds to be fit in time.

Aside from the back row, I think NSW is fairly settled. However there does need some thought as to the right wing spot filled by Akuila Uate. He was criticised after game one with the Maroons scoring two tries in his corner; one was while we were down a man and the inside defenders contributed to the second, so I thought the criticism was unwarranted. Game two also saw him receive plenty of attention for not contesting the Cronk bomb right on half time that saw Queensland take the lead at the break. Definitely a costly error but not unforgivable, such was the quality of the high ball from Cronk.

What concerns me is that Uate isn’t doing what he was picked for and that’s busting tackles. This year to date he’s down 30 per cent in that department which means he’s also well down on the metres made per game. Here’s the theory: just like Sampson lost his strength when his hair was cut, Uate has lost his ability to bust tackles because his backside has disappeared.

He looks more like an 800m runner now, not the powerhouse that burst on to the rep scene last year. Newcastle have run him so hard they’ve stripped away what gave him his edge - he’s 7kg’s lighter than last year. Akuila needs to find a good paddock pretty quickly and get back his mojo, and backside.

Having said that, it is nice to see that outside of injury, NSW has stuck solid with their squad throughout the entire series and their stability could just be the factor that ends Queensland’s dominance.

http://www.nrl.com

Chaos
21-06-12, 12:53 PM
The Thurston/Bowen combination gets my vote and leaving the others where they have been playing well.

Yeah...I'm with you
Thurston needs some combination with him.
Now the Melborne connection has been disrupted...it gives Mal an opportunity to bring one of the best combinations of the game in....and have it running off Cam Smith.
Leave Cronk to one side, so he doesn't over control.

DIEHARD
21-06-12, 02:06 PM
Id love to see Bowen get another shot at Origin. I feel he missed many opportunities, especially to the benefit of that mercenary K HUnt.

Smakked
24-06-12, 06:09 PM
Brett Stewart, Jarryd Hayne, Michael Jennings, Josh Morris, Brett Morris, Todd Carney, Mitchell Pearce, Tim Grant, Robbie Farah, James Tamou, Greg Bird, Anthony Watmough, Paul Gallen, Tony Williams, Glenn Stewart, Ben Creagh, Trent Merrin, Luke Lewis, Beau Scott.

Im glad they dropped Uate he has done nothing in Origin and nothing at club level.

Princey's Titanz
24-06-12, 07:13 PM
Im glad they dropped Uate he has done nothing in Origin and nothing at club level.

Uate is injured

Jamal's Hamstring
24-06-12, 09:39 PM
Will Glen Stewart be fit?

TITAN PETE
25-06-12, 03:55 PM
Uate is injured

Tough call as Uate punted for Origin III

Steve Jancetic AAP Sun, Jun 24, 2012 - 7:20 PM

NSW coach Ricky Stuart knows Akuila Uate is a potential match-winner for the Blues - which is what made the decision to drop him for the State of Origin decider even harder.

Uate on Sunday paid the price for some crucial defensive lapses in the opening two games of the series, with Stuart recalling St George Illawarra's Brett Morris - who will line up for his sixth Origin appearance at Suncorp Stadium but first alongside twin brother Josh.

Two of Queensland's three tries were scored down Uate's wing in game one while his indecision in not taking a high ball gifted Ben Hannant a four-pointer in the rematch in Sydney.

"It's something that I had to mull over for a number of days and nights, had a number of discussions with Bozo (chief selection adviser Bob Fulton), 'are we making the right choice?," Stuart said.

"... but I've needed to bite the bullet. That's my job.

"It's hard when you've got to make those decisions and calls, you don't like doing it but for our NSW state and supporters, it's a decision I had to make

"I just believe there's an opportunity there to strengthen that edge defensively, but it won't be too long and he'll be back - he won't be gone for too long Akuila.

"It's a tough position to defend, especially when you've got the quality of (Greg) Inglis and (Darius) Boyd on that left edge - they've got a lot of strike there."

But Stuart denied Uate was to solely to blame.

"It's not fair just to look at Aku in regards some of the defensive lapses," Stuart said.

"It starts from the play-the-ball, it starts from the inside of the football, it doesn't just come down to Josh and Aku."

Ryan
25-06-12, 06:02 PM
Uate is injured

Must be playing injured tonight?

Princey's Titanz
25-06-12, 06:45 PM
Dammit. :doh:

Rage
25-06-12, 10:17 PM
Feel sorry for Uate because he has been one of the best in past series but in saying that, I feel a lot safer with him not being in the side for the decider. Don't think I could handle the suspense everytime Queensland bomb his side.

Sydney Titans Fanatic
25-06-12, 11:41 PM
uate aint playing great footy atm...i wasnt suprised by this at all especially with his last game for nsw and especially the form of newcastle

Titanic
26-06-12, 03:21 PM
Nielsen, Bowen and Te'o named so the injury ogre raises its ugly head again.

TITAN PETE
27-06-12, 09:55 AM
Steve Jancetic AAP Tue, Jun 26, 2012 - 6:42 PM

NSW back-rower Greg Bird says he will take it upon himself to ensure greenhorn State of Origin props James Tamou and Tim Grant are ready for what they're going to face in next week's series decider.

Bird credited the work of the towering front-row combination for getting the Blues on the front foot in the series-levelling win in Sydney, but admitted their task would be even tougher in the Suncorp Stadium cauldron.

"It's going to be the other boys' job - me and a few of the senior guys - to get in their ear and really make sure they're prepared for the onslaught, which at Suncorp can be quite intimidating," Bird said.

"The decider at Suncorp, Queensland are going to be firing and we've got to be pretty sharp to compete."

Tamou and Grant have come from nowhere to suddenly give the Blues an imposing presence, but it is the effect they are having on some of their teammates which Bird claims has been just as significant.

Skipper Paul Gallen, who produced one of the most amazing Origin displays when picked at prop during last year's series, has been freed to return to his more natural position of lock as a result of the pair's emergence.

"I think they take a lot of pressure off Gal, who can be found doing too much," Bird said.

"He'd like to play 80 and doing everything, make 30 hitups, but at this level, you need him doing some real quality stuff rather than quantity.

"Timmy and Jimmy have been doing great stuff for us. I expect them to really step it up for the decider."

DIEHARD
01-07-12, 02:56 PM
Thurston promises fans no repeat of pain of Origin 2005

THE pain and hurt still lingers large for Johnathan Thurston. It does for all involved that night.

If NSW think they have got the mortgage on Origin heartbreak heading into Wednesday's decider, they only need to ask the Queensland quartet of Thurston, Cameron Smith, Petero Civoniceva and Corey Parker if they remember what happened at Suncorp Stadium on July 6, 2005.

It was the night Ricky "Sticky" Stuart celebrated his first campaign as coach of NSW with an emphatic 32-10 win in front of 52,436 silenced fans as the Blues claimed their third straight series win.

The images tell the story. A jubilant Matt King, Andrew "Joey" Johns and Danny Buderus in a celebratory embrace.

And the inconsolable Maroons slumped to the turf.

It was the most hurtful defeat Queensland have experienced in recent history. At the time it was an equal record series-losing streak.

For Thurston, it was an awful way to end his debut Origin series at halfback.

"Yep, it was not a good feeling," Thurston recalled.

"There'd only be a few of the boys in this team that have lost a series, so yeah, it's not a place where you want to go."

For now skipper Smith it continued a nightmare start to his Origin career.

"It was a pretty empty feeling," Smith said. "To lose any series is hard enough, but to lose like that in front of your home fans hurts.

"Fortunately for us we haven't lost one in a long time now. But you do remember the times you walk off and have lost the series.

"It happened to me in '04 and '05. It's not a good feeling. You work so hard and to walk away empty-handed is a shallow feeling.

"It is worse at home. We all want to do well in front of fans and to see the Blues partying like that on your turf, it's hard to accept.

"It's not something I want to experience again."

While it might not be the best memory for Queensland to reflect upon as they prepare for Stuart to lead another Blues group up to snatch the series crown on Maroons territory, it was an important evening in the transformation of this dominant football team.

Only six players from that decider side were selected for Origin I the following year, as rookie coach Mal Meninga rebuilt and reshaped the Maroons.

"When Mal first took over, he made a point that preparation, not talent, is the key to winning these matches and you look back at games where we weren't so successful, you look at our training and it wasn't where it needed to be," Smith said.

"When I first started, NSW were a very dominant side, we were facing four series losses in a row and myself and JT were just starting out. We were coming up against a NSW that was pretty much the Australian team at the time.

"But Mal brought all the team together and said 'boys, they are only human. They can get knocked down just like us; just go out believing they aren't better than us', and that's been the key with Mal."

No doubt Meninga's words in 2006 are similar to the rhetoric Stuart is delivering to NSW in camp this week.

Last year NSW came to Queensland hoping to snatch the series win but they did not believe, and it showed in their jittery opening 20 minutes.

Retiring prop Civoniceva can sense the Blues are beginning to look and feel a lot like they did seven years ago.

Their tails are up, Stuart has them full of confidence and they are coming to Brisbane ready to secure the title in a decider.

"They are playing with plenty of confidence like they did in 2005," Civoniceva said.

"Ricky Stuart would be very happy with what his side has done in the first two games, and having been coached by Ricky, I know what he is like. He came back from 1-0 in 2005 and he will think he will do it again, but we won't be lying down this time.

"They will see us as a bit vulnerable after losing Game Two. I think as a group we feel we can definitely improve.

I think if we're all honest with ourselves we have all been down a little bit. We got off to a win in Game One and they won Game Two but we are going to welcome them to our home ground this time and we'll be ready to go."

http://www.couriermail.com.au

Smakked
04-07-12, 12:19 AM
Game Day!!!

GO THE BLUES

Blues By 12

DIEHARD
04-07-12, 01:15 AM
I am so bloody nervous. Just glad Ill be there with 50k other Maroons.

Inglis for man of the match!

Smakked
04-07-12, 01:23 AM
Yeah i am getting Butterflys already , will be an awesome game

shamus
04-07-12, 10:30 AM
News is Brett Stewart is gonneee... for the game.

That's a game changer..:(

shamus
04-07-12, 10:33 AM
Maybe I should have started the sentence with "The word is....." :D

Smakked
04-07-12, 02:23 PM
Cannot find that news anywhere

gothabull
04-07-12, 03:54 PM
havent seen that news either im watching the 92 classic state of origin good to see carty score a try! cmon blues !

TITAN PETE
04-07-12, 04:04 PM
News is Brett Stewart is gonneee... for the game.

That's a game changer..:(

Is it April 1st :rolleyes:

Was that news from the same people who said Dave Taylor will be playing tonight :surprise:

Can't wait till kick off this will be a cracker , Blues by 7 :D

shamus
04-07-12, 04:28 PM
Breaking News:
Brett Stewart Ruled Out Of Origin
Decider

Hi Shaun,

Brett Stewart Ruled Out Of Origin Decider

You heard it here first, Brett Stewart has been removed from the NSW line-up (at least at BETEZY).

We're taking bets that QLD will beat the Blues when any points scored by NSW's Brett Stewart are removed. With NSW's play-maker eliminated, there will never be a better opportunity for you to win by backing Queensland.

If you are a Blues supporter you can also back NSW to win and eliminate any points scored by QLD's key threat, Greg Inglis.

To take advantage, simply place a head to head bet.

You must click a link from this email to be eligible for this offer. Click here for full Terms and Conditions

This is from the Betezy site

shamus
04-07-12, 04:28 PM
But maybe they were taking the piss outa me...:ugh:

Smakked
04-07-12, 04:36 PM
Nope not a thing not even on twitter??

Smakked
04-07-12, 05:22 PM
Man im nervous, think im going to Vomit

gotitans101
04-07-12, 05:44 PM
Imagine how the players must feel LOL.

Smakked
04-07-12, 09:01 PM
All over i say Blues look terrible

Princey's Titanz
04-07-12, 11:47 PM
wat a horrible loss for Blues.

DIEHARD
05-07-12, 05:09 AM
7 in a row!!!! That was so intense. The Blues really pushed the Maroons this series. But I think and hope this will really burn them. Mentally and also trying to motivate their supporters next year.

Two games in Brisbane next year!!

Cronk you legend. I was so nervous my hands were shaking when holding my binoculars. And as usual I always get seated near a group of Blues, but they were alright.

TV ratings will be through the roof, especially because the game went the entirety in the balance.

What was with Gallen not giving a speech?!

Nice touch by Cam to bring Petro on stage and see him lift the shield. What a player and what a human being!

Players of the series for me were Myles and Tate. Farah played very well. Inglis excelled at fullback and we can really thank Souths for honing him.

Gonna get some sleep then its 100% NRL and Titans!

DIEHARD
05-07-12, 06:27 AM
http://images.smh.com.au/2012/07/05/3429394/art-486422_10151012143126952_1498698629_n-420x0.jpg

Princey's Titanz
05-07-12, 09:09 AM
1 point off finishing the 6 year drought. 1 point of redeeming victory. Just that 1 point to win the series. We were so so close but yet we were so so far. Heartbroken i am.

Titanic
05-07-12, 10:09 AM
Thoroughly enjoyed the contest but if linebreaks, creativeness and territorial domination are any indicators then Queensland were unlucky not to win by 10.

The only unanswered question for me is: will the birdman line up for us this week?

Smakked
05-07-12, 11:15 AM
It was a good game but NSW blew there chances with stupid penaltys.
Im over it now was disapointed last night but fine now.

I get way more upset if the Wallabies get beat, takes a day or 2 to get over that issue :|

Chaos
05-07-12, 02:06 PM
Was very hard to stay seated for that game...probably one of the toughest games i've seen.

I didn't see the field goal coming but glad Cronk nailed it.

Nate Miles deserved player of the series and if there was an award for the past seven years, he'd get that too...Tate must have went close.
Can somebody check stats...is Miles the only player that has played in every Queensland win since 2006?

Cam Smith is the best defender I have ever seen...he won that game by defusing the NSW attack at critical times

Congrates to Mal but it wasn't his best coaching series.
I didn't think Taylor should have been dropped.
Cronk isn't the best Half back in the state.
Taking the 2 points instead of driving nails through their skull kept the c0ckroaches in the game.

Morris Brothers were awesome

The game hit a low point for me when Hodges was awarded a try after he ran around his decoy runner. I got back into it once NSW scored again.

Thurston could have got Man of the Match for just one moment in the game.
The time he decided to take the control from Cronk and attack the right side in his own half, to set up the try of the night.
I'm not going to go into Cronks lack of attack but I couldn't believe he pushed Hodges out of dummy half when we were trying to get out of our own half...thats why we have him in the side!

Even without Slater and our disrupted preparation...Queensland had too many super stars!

Titanic
05-07-12, 03:06 PM
Can somebody check stats...is Miles the only player that has played in every Queensland win since 2006?

I'm not sure that he has, but Thurston has equaled Gary Larson's record of 24 consecutive games.

Chaos
05-07-12, 03:18 PM
I'm not sure that he has, but Thurston has equaled Gary Larson's record of 24 consecutive games.

Maybe they both have...I was thinking of Thurston, Miles and Smith but I think Smith was out for at least one origin win.

Princey's Titanz
05-07-12, 03:45 PM
Cronk doesnt seem to be comfortable at Origin level.

gotitans101
05-07-12, 03:52 PM
Could say the same about Pearce and Carney.

Chaos
05-07-12, 04:05 PM
I can't remember an Origin series without either side having a creative number 7....Pearce and Cronk might be hard but both sides sacrifice attack because of them.

Princey's Titanz
05-07-12, 04:20 PM
Could say the same about Pearce and Carney.

But what im trying to say that is in club footy Cronk is the best halfback but he cant replicate that into Origin level. Carney and Pearce arent standouts in club so i dont that much high expectation for them. I dont rate Pearce at all. Seems lost in Origin. QLD's spine seems to win matches for them but the backrowers for NSW/and the backs alone win matches for NSW. For NSW to win the next series they really need to change the spine. Farah is a guaranteed starter at hooker for me. Stewart doesnt offer anything for me at Origin to be honest. Pearce should be gone. The combinations that can be considered are.

1. Hayne/Dugan
6. Carney
7. Wallace

1. Hayne/Dugan
6. Maloney
7. Carney/Wallace

In my opinion if Hayne roams around the field more NSW will be more dangerous. I think Maloney is made for Origin. Wallace's consistency should really be considered. I know everyone will be thinking (esp. QLD supporters) will be thinking chopping and changing in the team will not help but to get the best out of the NSW team we need a good spine. If NSW want to win they need a good spine. Im sick of losing now.

DIEHARD
05-07-12, 07:57 PM
ARL referees bosses agree, IT WAS A TRY!

kwigibo
05-07-12, 08:17 PM
1 point off finishing the 6 year drought. 1 point of redeeming victory. Just that 1 point to win the series. We were so so close but yet we were so so far. Heartbroken i am.

technically 2 points

shamus
05-07-12, 08:57 PM

What else are they gunna say. :ugh:

Chaos
05-07-12, 09:41 PM

Not since I've been playing...you can't change the rules half way through a game

Chaos
05-07-12, 09:46 PM
Wallace's consistency should really be considered. I know everyone will be thinking (esp. QLD supporters) will be thinking chopping and changing in the team will not help but to get the best out of the NSW team we need a good spine. If NSW want to win they need a good spine. Im sick of losing now.

Even though I had a shot at the two 7's these series regarding their attack...surely you don't think Wallace is more creative!

Princey's Titanz
05-07-12, 10:23 PM
Not since I've been playing...you can't change the rules half way through a game

Spot on

DIEHARD
05-07-12, 11:20 PM
https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/168847_444645745568405_140832020_n.jpg

DIEHARD
05-07-12, 11:20 PM
I dont normally like these corny things but I got a laugh out of this one.

shamus
06-07-12, 12:08 PM
I dont normally like these corny things but I got a laugh out of this one.

Well you got a chuckle out of me.... Ba$tard :p

DIEHARD
06-07-12, 08:41 PM
Well you got a chuckle out of me.... Ba$tard :p

Hahaha.

7 series in a row is amazing, a feat that probably will never be repeated.

But NSW are competitive in all areas except the halves. Keep Carney and see what happens with #7.

Julius Sezer
06-07-12, 10:52 PM
Hahaha.

7 series in a row is amazing, a feat that probably will never be repeated.

But NSW are competitive in all areas except the halves. Keep Carney and see what happens with #7.

NSW need Maloney or Wallace. Kick Pearce out and persist with Carney. I also prefer Hayne at fullback.

Boonarga
07-07-12, 12:22 AM
Sezer is a Blue and certainly good enough....

Rage
07-07-12, 09:39 AM
It's definitely the halves that are probably the only part of the team where NSW is lacking. Maybe Carney and Maloney might work well together? Guess we'll have to wait till next year to find out but I certainly hope Ricky stays as Blues coach

Titanic
07-07-12, 12:11 PM
So do I ... Queenslander!!!!