PDA

View Full Version : NRL: Grapple to be tackled

Queenslander
30-01-06, 09:21 PM
Rugby League coaches and referees have unanimously agreed to new measures designed to eliminate the dangerous 'grapple tackle' that has become a feature of the game in recent years.

The tackle, where defending players use unecessary contact with an opponents head or neck to slow down the play-the-ball, is difficult for referees to penalise on.

But both coaches and officials recognised the importance of eradicating the tackle and agreed to take action immediately.

"The coaches concede that it has been a difficult tackle to deal with but that it is one that we need to stamp out," NRL Chief Operating Officer Graham Annesley said today.

"They?ve asked that referees be extremely vigilant from the moment the trial matches commence on February 11 so that players receive a clear signal on what to expect."

"The coaches were very supportive of what needs to be achieved in eliminating these tackles and wanted to send a strong message to all players."

The League's tough stance on dangerous throws was reiterated at the meeting and clubs will be sent video footage in the lead up to the new season displaying the types of tackles that may result in punishment in 2006.

"The clear message from the coaches is that they want the ball carriers protected against injury," Annesley said.

"Neither of the areas in question require any rule changes but there will be guidelines sent to all clubs to ensure that they are aware of the interpretations that will take place."

http://ninemsn.sportal.com.au/default.aspx?s=leaguedisplay&id=77098

Super Cronk
30-01-06, 09:24 PM
I just hope ALL teams are policed the same.

Dragons
30-01-06, 09:28 PM
I just hope ALL teams are policed the same.

Just like a Storm in a tea cup to me :naughty:

Dakink
30-01-06, 09:58 PM
Just like a Storm in a tea cup to me :naughty:

Dont worry it'll blow over soon.

Super Cronk
30-01-06, 10:05 PM
Dont worry it'll blow over soon.

pfft. Wait and see, if the storm make the finals the only thing you will read in the papers here is "storm grappling", "storm accused of more grappling" . It is always raised around finals time, a nice ploy to put teams off their game.

Queenslander
30-01-06, 10:38 PM
pfft. Wait and see, if the storm make the finals the only thing you will read in the papers here is "storm grappling", "storm accused of more grappling" . It is always raised around finals time, a nice ploy to put teams off their game.

Yeah its sad but true, the Storm always seems to get dragged through the mud. I think i can recall that channel nine during their commentary would be on "grapple watch" and give "grapple alerts" if one was to occur :hmm:....but only during Storm games :(

Dakink
30-01-06, 11:06 PM
And yet you watcha game and whaat seems to me a graple occurs dozens of times during a game.

Super Cronk
31-01-06, 12:29 PM
And yet you watcha game and whaat seems to me a graple occurs dozens of times during a game.

True. I think that is so because the grapple tackle is a grey area still. Last year there were a number of times where the tackler would put his arm around the attackers throat and just hold it there...that isnt deemed a grapple. Its only deemed a grapple if they pull or twist the neck. Its too hard to police when the ruling is like the above.

Queenslander
21-02-06, 05:55 PM
Broncos tackle ref on laws
By Mick Daly
February 21, 2006

NRL referee Tony Archer held a session with Brisbane yesterday as pre-season debate over the grapple tackle crackdown intensified.

The NRL has instructed referees to penalise players for any unnecessary contact with the head or neck in tackles, but players and coaches have complained that some of the interpretations in trials have been too severe.

Coaches voted in the off-season to rid the game of the controversial practice which teams have used to slow down the play-the-ball.

St George-Illawarra coach Nathan Brown called for urgent fine-tuning of the new laws after the Charity Shield clash with South Sydney last Saturday night.

Referee Steve Clark roused the ire of Brown and his players by awarding several grapple-tackle penalties against the Dragons among the 25 he awarded in the match.

At coach Wayne Bennett's invitation, Archer flew to Brisbane from Sydney yesterday morning to train with the Broncos and explain the new laws to the squad.

He also discussed gang tackles, surrender tackles, obstruction and offside.

Archer played down his stopover, saying every NRL club had been given the opportunity to invite a referee to a training session during the off-season.

He declined to enter into the grapple-tackle debate, other than to say the session had provided the players with a better understanding of how the new laws would be applied once the premiership started on March 10.

"It's a good experience for us to train with the sides, assist them with some rule interpretations and get them used to match situations for the year ahead," Archer said.

"For some of the players, a little bit of their timing is out so we just revisit the laws.

"(Apart from the grapple tackle) there have been no great changes to what we had last year anyway. We are basically reiterating what we had last year."

Broncos prop Petero Civoniceva admitted the players were often "confused" by referee interpretations, and he said the session with Archer had been invaluable.

"It puts the players in a more informed light as to how these laws are going to be interpreted," he said.

"Sometimes I think as players you get a bit puzzled with what the referees call. This has certainly helped clear things up a little."

Brisbane yesterday named an 18-man squad for its trial against Melbourne Storm in Toowoomba on Saturday.

Promising five-eighth Greg Eastwood has overcome an ankle injury and will start on the bench.

The rest of the squad is unchanged from the one that beat Canberra 28-20 in Port Macquarie last weekend.

The Courier-Mail

Queenslander
03-03-06, 10:09 AM
Grapple fear allayed
March 3, 2006

THE NRL has played down concerns over the opening round of the competition being ruined by the crackdown on the grapple tackle.

A large number of penalties have been given against the grapple tackle during the trials and there are fears it may continue.

"We've said openly to the coaches that it could result in an increase in the number of penalties during the trials, but that's what trial matches are about," NRL chief operating officer Graham Annesley said.

The Daily Telegraph