PDA

View Full Version : Prometheus

TITAN PETE
11-06-12, 05:47 PM
Went & watched Prometheus today & thought it was excellent, if u are a Sci Fi fan espescially an Aliens fan u will love it, with the door left open for a sequel or not :surprise:

DIEHARD
11-06-12, 06:03 PM
A sequel like Alien! :thumbsup:

Mate I love Sci Fi, love Ridley Scott and love the pure Alien franchise.

It's awesome!

TITAN PETE
11-06-12, 08:35 PM
A sequel like Alien! :thumbsup:

Mate I love Sci Fi, love Ridley Scott and love the pure Alien franchise.

It's awesome!

Possibly but with the Ship leaving , leaves another door open for something new :D

DIEHARD
11-06-12, 09:05 PM
I'm just being cheeky.

Titanic
17-06-12, 10:36 AM
Haven't watched a sci-fi for yonks but downloaded it last night and will have a look tonight :-)

thelwall
17-06-12, 04:56 PM
watched it just before , sadly i was with the gf and missed half of it haha

C-Whiz
22-06-12, 06:15 AM
I saw it the other day. Stupidest movie I've seen in a long time.
It was 2 hours of pointless, ill-conceived ideas just so that they could have a 90 second tie-in at the end.

I guess if you just like science fiction with no technical fore thought, then it might appeal, but the original Star Trek series showed a better ability to understand technology advances in the future than this latest blockbuster from Ridley Scott.

Oh, and the opening scene makes the whole movie pointless, because it is in complete contradiction of what the premise of the movie is about.

Rage
22-06-12, 08:36 AM
I tend to agree with you C-Whiz. While it looked pretty great, I couldn't help but feel it was less of a movie and more of a 2hour trailer for Prometheus 2. Although might I ask what you mean when you say the opening scene is a contradiction of the premise?

That was us being shown the engineers planting their DNA and seeds of life from which organisms, such as humans could grow and evolve from. For whatever reason that wasn't explained, we pissed them off so they wanted to come back and destroy us all.

thelwall
22-06-12, 09:24 AM
i think it didnt live up to expectation

C-Whiz
23-06-12, 08:45 PM
Although might I ask what you mean when you say the opening scene is a contradiction of the premise?

That was us being shown the engineers planting their DNA and seeds of life from which organisms, such as humans could grow and evolve from. For whatever reason that wasn't explained, we pissed them off so they wanted to come back and destroy us all.I understand the DNA being spread to "pollinate", but maybe I misunderstood why he was eaten indise out. I thought that was something to do with the "bacteria"? Maybe I over-read it. Anyway, what was wrong with just colonizing??

Another question, and I know it's "just a movie", but why do inter-gallactic space travelers who want to create new life on remote planets with the view that one day their genetic offspring may want to "find" their ancestors, so they choose to leave cryptic child like drawings scribbled in caves around the world, written in crayon, with a vague chance some scientist will crack the 5 star mystery as a "sign" and then find that point 500 Million K's away among a billion other stars? :laugh:

I'm of the opinion that if you are going to try and make a back-story, at least try and make it plausible. otherwise it would have been better to have an intergallactic space battle, with a doomed spaceship crashing to earth and scattering DNA everywhere, etc.........

C-Whiz
24-06-12, 07:35 AM
Oh, one other thing, 60 years in the future, when we can travel to distant galaxies and create artificial life forms that replicate human behaviour, yet we are still carrying hand held torches to light our way in the dark. Classic! :laugh:

DIEHARD
24-06-12, 10:29 AM
The problem with it is it is brilliantly conceived and designed.

But it tried to do too many things at once and none brilliantly. There is also no real protagonist and several antagonists. The movie kind of coasts along.

And there is silly plot devices like why David is so chumy at the end (Obviously self preservation) and why Elizabeth suddenly trusts him, why you wouldnt want them to go to Earth but you are quite happy to go to their home planet and poke the hornets nest.

I think they demystified the Engineers (They look like Soltarans from Dr Who and have no character, only ME ANGRY DESTROY!) I was really disappointed with the apparent mutation of the "alien".

And it wasnt even the planet the nostromo lands on in Alien.

Then they downgrade the granduer of the Engineer's ship by finding another one so easy and easily piloting it in search of the Engineer's home planet. (The last thing Id do). They are basically gallactic New York taxi cabs!

It was far better to only have one surviving ship from an extinct super civilisation. Like an evil Noah's Ark.

Also in the scene when Elizabeth and Vickers run away from the crashing ship, they run straight ahead when running sidewides would save them. Then Elizabeth falls and then rolls about 3 metres to the left, which saves her.

It's a bit like Star Wars Episode 1 for me, a disappointment seening it is my favourite director and movie franchise.

It is also never established if the Captain banged Vickers. If it was a joke. If she did, it was a sudden character change.

On the positives, the effects were amazing. I thought the acting was ok. David was a great character and how creepy was it that he watched peoples dreams? It was awesome to see inside the Engineer's ship, after waiting all my life.

How cool was it when that snake alien snapped that guys arm and then plunges through his helmet? Wow.

The medical capsule was an awesome invention.

I reckon there were stacks of deleted scenes, so I look forward to the DVD.

I hope they have a sequel, it wasn't the movie I'd have made. But it was a damn sight better than any AvP piece of ****.

C-Whiz
24-06-12, 11:36 AM
LOL@ the part where the ship was rolling and they kept running forward. :doh:

So, what was with the beginning when the Engineer has a swig of his Nescafe and starts to go to peices? I understand that was how the DNA spread, but was it a mutation or was it by design? I thought he had been infected, so maybe I jumped to the wrong conclusion on that one...

I just didn't see why they couldn't have just colonised. Earth seems a whole lot better than the ****ty planet they were living on.

DIEHARD
25-06-12, 10:32 AM
I just didn't see why they couldn't have just colonised. Earth seems a whole lot better than the ****ty planet they were living on.

I think the planet they were on was a military outpost for biological warefare development. Safely far away from their home planet.

But then why all this invitation bull**** and invite them to a military base? And that plot was redundant as soon as they decide they hate us. 2000 years ago they were going to wipe us out, so is it pay back for Jesus? But that wasnt even explained.

The opening scene doesnt make sense and if they truly wanted it to be a different substance they need to illustrate it. Or if the substance can be modified like nanotech, then well that just doesnt translate to cinema.

I am so disappointed that after 30+ years, that the Engineer is just a giant humanoid who needs some sun.

And I am so with you on the space flight and the date. Its too soon in our future. And further, not only can they travel long distances but they seem totally bored and unimpressed by it. Like catching an intergallatic greyhound bus.

Also, Weyland INC funded the mission for a trillion space bucks and the owner of the biggest company in the galaxy is also on board. Well I'd have a far better crew than the bunch of opportunitic academic mercenaries and hippies. Special forces baby.

DIEHARD
25-06-12, 10:36 AM
I thought they could have used the alien holograms and David to better tell the story. Maybe treat it like a mystery investigation that needs to be solved. Find out what happened and piece it together, then realise that its happening again and try and prevent it. They only touched on this in a shallow fashion.

C-Whiz
25-06-12, 07:23 PM
I think the planet they were on was a military outpost for biological warefare development. Safely far away from their home planet.Yeah, I had that idea too, but like you say, why would they make that the future rally point? I thought it was their planet but they had been wiped out by the bacteria and it just needed a good clean by the maid. But then that wouldn't explain why they lived on a planet with the wrong atmosphere, assuming they are O2 breathers like us (which the movie suggests), so now I can see your point is probably most valid. Just illustrates the stupidity of painting invitations in caves to a party at a military outpost 500 Million K's away in the remote hope someone might turn up thousands of years later. :doh:

I am so disappointed that after 30+ years, that the Engineer is just a giant humanoid who needs some sun.Haha, best quote. :laugh: We could do with a couple of engineers in the backrow.

Also, Weyland INC funded the mission for a trillion space bucks and the owner of the biggest company in the galaxy is also on board. Well I'd have a far better crew than the bunch of opportunitic academic mercenaries and hippies. Special forces baby.
This was where I just gave up on the whole movie, 15 minutes in, when after waking from their 2 year slumber they decided it was a good time to meet each other and start the introductions.

First question, who was the HR manager who employed this bunch of misfits (apart from Mr Weyland picking the hippies), and who actually trained them up for the journey?

Imagine the ad in the employment classified, "Must like travel". :laugh:

DIEHARD
25-06-12, 08:52 PM
Imagine the ad in the employment classified, "Must like travel". :laugh:

Hahahaha ahhhh love it. The good thing about sci fi is the debates and discussions you can have. But there isnt enough skeleton there for it to stand up on its two feet.

Also dont forget the xenomorph/alien mural in the vase chamber.

I heard they cut out alot of the Weyland scenes, Guy Pearce filmed scenes as a younger Weyland which may have really added to the story and fleshed out this David, Vickers and Weyland dynamic. Father, daughter? and manufactured son David.

DIEHARD
25-06-12, 08:53 PM
I think we should talk about movies alot more on the Titans forum.

Rage
25-06-12, 09:08 PM
I took the beginning scene to mean that the Engineer was sacrificing his life to spread the DNA. Maybe he was a captive or drew the short straw, or maybe just benevolent but it did seem to be a willing sacrifice.

Diehard, you mentioned Guy Pearce filming scenes as a younger version of himself. That was part of the viral marketing campaign and on the Welyand website I believe, not a deleted scene, although there may also be deleted scenes of it. I did find it odd that they cast Pearce as such an old character when there are plenty of old actors that could have pulled it off convincingly.

Still, like i said earlier, my major gripe with this is that it really did feel like a trailer for Prometheus 2 (which is already in talks last I checked). So many things weren't clear to me: what was with the holographic images? what were they running from? what was the giant head statue?

I haven't seen any of the original alien movies though, so maybe I needed to watch that for some backstory?

DIEHARD
25-06-12, 09:19 PM
I haven't seen any of the original alien movies though, so maybe I needed to watch that for some backstory?

Wow you really need to watch Alien and Aliens. But make sure you do it in style. Boy you are in for a treat!

On Pearce, you are right, why engage a young actor when there is any number of veteran actors out there who would do a great job. It pops the suspension of belief to invest more time trying to mentally undress Weyland to find Pearce than simply taking him as the character.

I agree about it being a trailer, but more so because of the choppy nature of the film. Just hit you with so many concepts that werent fleshed out.

I hope they make another one though.

A healthy sci fi movie should leave areas for fans to speculate and imagine about. But you need to leave clues and direction at least. I fear the gaps were too wide.

DIEHARD
25-06-12, 09:20 PM
http://farm7.staticflickr.com/6144/5922460143_e03326ac84_z.jpg

soltaran from classic who

Rage
26-06-12, 11:38 AM
Haha I'm waiting to watch them on Blu-ray. From your previous posts, i'm guessing you don't recommend Aliens V Predators?

Chaserz
26-06-12, 08:21 PM
Alien vs Predators... meh, I have seen it... and the plot itself is nothing new to me...

DIEHARD
27-06-12, 06:37 PM
Haha I'm waiting to watch them on Blu-ray. From your previous posts, i'm guessing you don't recommend Aliens V Predators?

The second is better than the first.

The first touches on Weyland Yutani origin and also stars the actor who played Bishop in Aliens. But they tampered with the Aliens too much imo among other things.

Also I think they dumbed it down to get a lighter rating. Which like DIEHARD4, damaged it.

Rage
29-06-12, 08:10 AM
Bishop is the android equivalent from the original movies from what I've heard? How does that portrayal of android compare with the actor that plays David? Among other things, I thought David was one of the shining lights of Prometheus, especially when he asks the guy something along the lines of 'Can you imagine how disappointing it would be if the Engineers just told him they made us "cause we could"'.

DIEHARD
29-06-12, 01:48 PM
Bishop is the android equivalent from the original movies from what I've heard? How does that portrayal of android compare with the actor that plays David? Among other things, I thought David was one of the shining lights of Prometheus, especially when he asks the guy something along the lines of 'Can you imagine how disappointing it would be if the Engineers just told him they made us "cause we could"'.

David got all the best lines and there was plenty of room to give him more.

That line you mention was particularly awesome.

Ash is the android from Alien and Bishop was the android from Aliens and a cameo in Alien3.

DIEHARD
08-01-13, 04:31 PM
So disappointed with this movie, this and the Hobbit which turned out to be more of a video game than a classy movie.