PDA

View Full Version : The Searle League: The untold story

DIEHARD
08-06-12, 05:04 PM
The Searle League: The untold story

THE off-field happenings of the Gold Coast Titans have divided a rugby league-mad city.

It has broken relationships, seen threats, nasty legal action and financial failings.

Until now the real story of how it came to this has remained untold.

In Part 1 of an exclusive series only in Saturday's Gold Coast Bulletin newspaper, reporter Paul Weston reveals what really happened in the lead up to the Titans' entry into the NRL and the events that would shape much of today's pain.

Read the full report only in Saturday's newspaper.

http://www.goldcoast.com.au/

Jamal's Hamstring
08-06-12, 06:52 PM
Sounds more compelling than Prometheus.

DIEHARD
08-06-12, 08:47 PM
Sounds more compelling than Prometheus.

Prometheus looks amazing. Gonna see it tomorrow

Jamal's Hamstring
08-06-12, 09:02 PM
Saw it last night in 3D. Definitely worth a look for the visuals alone.

My post was more a big up for the news story than a knock on the movie :thumbsup:

Titanic
08-06-12, 09:53 PM
Compared to Sunday's game ... 0.01 on the Richter Scale.

DIEHARD
08-06-12, 10:42 PM
Saw it last night in 3D. Definitely worth a look for the visuals alone.

My post was more a big up for the news story than a knock on the movie :thumbsup:

I get ya! Should be interesting what is offered.

I agree Titanic, it is the on field drama that I want to focus on. Keep it up boys!

Titanic
09-06-12, 09:32 AM
Well, here it is and only two note-worthy points:

MICHAEL Searle should stand down as Titans managing director and a community board is needed to watch over its new administration, says former bid team member, Margaret May.
Speaking for the first time about the embattled club for which she and other leading professionals helped gain the NRL licence in 2005, Mrs May said: "My concern with one person in charge ... is there are no checks and balances.
"We need accountability and transparency. The reason I say that is our sponsors need to know they're supporting a team and an organisation that's working for the community."
Mrs May, the former Federal MP for McPherson, along with lawyer Geoff Smith, media man Ian Buchanan and then radio boss Rob Molhoek formed the bid team with Mr Searle and former Chargers CEO, Paul Broughton.
A drop in crowds and the club's recent financial problems with the Centre of Excellence -- its training facility and offices next to Skilled Park at Robina -- have sparked the push by business leaders for a community board.
Mrs May believes Titans management could report to a board under a model similar to the one created by the AFL's Gold Coast Suns.
Asked if Mr Searle should stand down, she replied: "My view right now ... he will have to take account and take responsibility for his own actions.
"I believe in the interests of the team that Michael should stand down, clear his name, clear all the issues on his plate and let a board come in."
An online Bulletin poll last month, conducted during reports of the collapse of the Titans property arm, found 81 per cent of voters believed Mr Searle should step down.
"I think the community would support a community board and I think business leaders would also support it," Mrs May said.
"It's really been a closed door with no checks and balances. The door needs to be opened."
Mr Searle last night told the Bulletin: "Criticism naturally follows a person who has the conviction to make hard decisions to create something from nothing.
"I don't back away from my conviction and my decisions because that's what got this city a national rugby league team."
He supports a board but argues that a private investor needs to play a major role in it.
"I have always respected Margaret May's opinion as a former Federal Member and acknowledge the independent expansion of the Titans board numbers as being something that has been tabled for some time at my instigation," he said.
"Given my role in helping form and structure the Australian Rugby League Independent Commission, I am the first to acknowledge that the balanced interest of all parties is important.
"However, not for one minute should anyone expect someone that has invested so many millions into the Titans to simply not have a say at board level.
"That sort of logic doesn't happen in the commercial world."
Mr Searle has spent the past week negotiating to try to pay his way out of a $20 million debt.
Creditors of Gold Coast Titans Property have approved a rescue package but the Deed of Company Arrangement remains dependent on the sale of the Centre of Excellence by June 18.
Mr Searle in April placed the property arm into voluntary administration after Reed Constructions sought wind-up proceedings in the Federal Court for $1.046 million in unpaid work on the building.
He recently announced the sale of the property to club supporters Phil Ward and Bob Clark but the contract has not yet settled.

Smakked
09-06-12, 12:37 PM
SO what happens on the 18th when it doesn't settle, because it looks like it isn't going to happen.