PDA

View Full Version : Broncos pleased with fitness

Super Cronk
27-01-06, 05:06 PM
Broncos pleased with NRL fitness tests

SMH.com.au

Brisbane's new drill sergeant Dean Benton is not getting too carried away by some impressive pre-season test results a month out from the NRL premiership kick-off.

The club's new performance director conducted the second round of sprint testing at the University of Queensland and was more than happy with the results when compared with those carried out in early December.

"They (results) exceeded my expectations," said Benton, who left the Australian Rugby Union to join the club.

Benton said some of the improvement in the space of seven weeks had been "quite dramatic".

"A lot of the older players like Shane Webcke, Brad Thorn and Tonie Carroll were improving which is uncommon," he said. "Carroll is in the best shape of his life."

Despite the players' skin fold results being at "an all time low", Benton was keeping everything in perspective given the club hadn't played a game and the results are only on paper.

"The results are excellent but they will amount to nothing if they are not transferred onto the field and ultimately converted into wins," he said.

Benton, who replaced long-serving former Queensland and Australian fullback Gary Belcher as the club's fitness and performance coach following an end-of-season clean out, said his charter was to transform Brisbane into a leaner and more mobile outfit this season.

Webcke looks in terrific shape under Benton's program.

Several other forwards have shed some kilos following a shift in the club's training methods this year.

Benton refused to discuss any personal performances after Friday's 40m speed tests but he did reveal a new speedster had emerged in teenager Denan Kemp.

Speed merchant Leon Bott, who scored 13 tries as a schoolboy rookie last season, held the title last year before Kiwi-born flyer Fraser Anderson broke his record with a 4.92 second dash in December.

Their re-match on Friday failed to eventuate with Kemp beating them both on the clock, but Benton would not say if Kemp had set a new 40m record.

Kemp played soccer at high school on the Gold Coast and only got into rugby league in his final year by accident.

He was spotted at a schoolboy carnival by Broncos talent scout John Dixon and put on contract.

While Benton was pleased by the latest results he said the players still had another month of gruelling tests ahead of them before the season started.

"I'm here to do a job, not to be liked," he said.

Super Cronk
27-01-06, 05:07 PM
I saw a report on sports tonight about the tests and they showed the new bloke kemp, and damn does he have speed to burn! They said that kemp beat leon bott's time.

Queenslander
27-01-06, 07:40 PM
I saw them on channel ten tonight, they were flying. All players have improved their speed and one of the biggest improvers was Shane Webcke. He still has plenty in him :thumbsup: But it was mention by Dean Benton that this improvement of speed is nothing if its not translated into good results on the footy field. Which is true....Broncos 06 NRL Premiers :thumbsup:

Dakink
28-01-06, 08:08 AM
I saw them on channel ten tonight, they were flying. All players have improved their speed and one of the biggest improvers was Shane Webcke. He still has plenty in him :thumbsup: But it was mention by Dean Benton that this improvement of speed is nothing if its not translated into good results on the footy field. Which is true....Broncos 06 NRL Premiers :thumbsup:

Well they needed to change something their chokes of the last few years are an indication that something wasnt working. Be interesting to see if they can regain their killer instinct.