This thread was up quick :D

Let's put the Cowboys to the sword again :salute:

DIEHARD
26-05-12, 06:38 PM
This thread was up quick :D

No coincidence. :laugh:

Toads
26-05-12, 06:50 PM
I think we're in for the hiding of the season. I reckon the Cowboys will be dishing us up some bitter retribution due to what we done to them in Round 1. :laugh:

Ahh well, lookin' forward to watching it from the Grandstands, next Friday night! :thumbsup:

DavidBouveng
26-05-12, 06:51 PM
yeah i think Friday night plus winning three out of last 4 (should be 4 from 4!) should equal a decent crowd.

i know i cant wait. cowboys will show us where we stand and if we win, will make a few people sit up and take notice that we are actually a team on the improve.

bring it on

decentrix
27-05-12, 05:22 PM
I'll be there, beer in hand, more at my feet :D
Legion shall be a very entertaining area to be in if i can get there early enough to down a few.
GO TITANS!

Boofhead
27-05-12, 08:26 PM
North Queensland Cowboys prop James Tamou could miss State of Origin II (and Titans clash!) after dangerous tackle
By Russell Jackson | May 27, 2012

NSW and North Queensland Cowboys prop James Tamou is facing the prospect of missing State of Origin game two after he was placed on report for a dangerous tackle on Wests Tigers five-eighth Benji Marshall on Sunday.

Tamou has 32 carry over points from a high tackle charge from round five against Canberra and anything worse than a grade two would see him miss Origin II in Sydney on June 13.

About five minutes into the match, Tamou ran through on Marshall and hit the airborne playmaker in the legs after he kicked the ball in the Tigers 26-18 victory over the Cowboys at Campbelltown.

Marshall was fired up and threw a couple of punches at Tamou who stayed on his back.

"I've seen worse," Tamou said of the tackle.

"I think they are trying to stamp that out in the game. I think they might try and set an example on that ... we'll see what happens."

Tamou said he wasn't thinking about missing Origin when he made the hit but it struck him soon after.

"It sort of did afterwards when Benji was just sort of over me and I thought I'll just settle down a bit," he said.

"I was just in the heat of the moment and just knew I had to put a bit of pressure on him.

"He didn't say much ... I put him in an awkward position and he had a bit of a right to blow up a bit ... it stays on the field."

Marshall and Tamou clashed again later in the match in a different way when about 10 minutes into the second half the Tigers New Zealand international fielded a kick in his own in-goal before weaving through the Cowboys defence.

He hit the halfway line and looked set to score before Tamou ran him down, forcing Marshall to pass to a teammate and the play broke down.

"He thought he was away and he looked back and saw this big man galloping after him. I think I was lucky that he slowed down a bit for me," Tamou said.

Later in the second half Tamou broke the Tigers line showing amazing speed for a big man as he set off on a 55 metre run only to be cut down just short of the line by Tigers fullback Tim Moltzen.

"I wanted to think here comes a try but I think I sort of ran out of steam there and Moltzen was just too quick for me," he said.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/league/state-of-origin/north-queensland-cowboys-prop-james-tamou-could-miss-state-of-origin-ii-after-dangerous-tackle/story-fn31yxah-1226368585445

Titanic
27-05-12, 08:31 PM
There was not much in that.

karnage
27-05-12, 09:30 PM
He plays for NSW - it is deadset a million to one that he will be rubbed out of Origin 2. Shillington or Dave Taylor would get 3 weeks but Tamou will be "sweet as 'bro".

As a means of placating us QLD'ers and the media I propose a 1 game ban!!

DIEHARD
27-05-12, 10:03 PM
I'll be there, beer in hand, more at my feet :D
Legion shall be a very entertaining area to be in if i can get there early enough to down a few.
GO TITANS!

Sure will be. Ill be straight in the car after work from Brisbane.

I cant believe its been so long since we have won back to back. No wonder we have been so pissed off. Yes we win but we never backed it up, not for a long time.

And Karnage is dead right, he will get off!:boo:

Nick
28-05-12, 01:27 AM
That was pretty soft really, pretty sure the media loves to beat any story involving bunji. You see 5 or so tackles like that in a game. Will be good if he just misses our game next week, he was on fire out there today!

This needs to be the game Idris and Gordon step up, the cows right side of tate and especially Graham have been very suspect in defence this year. Will be a great game.

Boofhead
28-05-12, 11:52 AM
Tamou got off.

Smakked
28-05-12, 12:36 PM
Tamou got off.

As expected there was nothing in it, just Benji being a girl like always.

DIEHARD
28-05-12, 04:18 PM
We will be suiting up in our Indigenous jersey designed by Presto this Friday against the Titans!

decentrix
28-05-12, 05:19 PM
We will be suiting up in our Indigenous jersey designed by Presto this Friday against the Titans!

What's the occasion?

TITAN PETE
28-05-12, 06:15 PM
What's the occasion?

Presto design an Indigenous jersey for this clash & our boys will be wearing it on Friday night

TITAN PETE
28-05-12, 06:20 PM
Laine Clark AAP Mon, May 28, 2012 - 6:57 PM

Back-to-back wins for the first time since the 2010 NRL finals have provided a spring in the step of the Gold Coast Titans.

But fullback William Zillman believes they will have to pull off something they haven't managed all season in order to down top-four outfit North Queensland at Skilled Park on Friday night.

"You have to play 80 minutes to beat them and we haven't really done that this year - consistency for the full 80 minutes is something we need to do (to be contenders)," he said on Monday.

"But winning can become contagious, as can losing.

"Hopefully this is a stepping stone to a good second half of the season."

Titans coach John Cartwright certainly liked what he saw as his side not only clinched consecutive wins with last round's 24-14 victory over Newcastle but also back-to-back triumphs on the road.

It seemed an unlikely scenario after they slumped to 1-5 earlier this season.

Since then they have won three out of five games.

"I don't think we've been going all that bad," Cartwright said.

"There's been games that were there for the taking and it's just been a bad option or decision and the game was gone.

"I can't talk high enough of the attitude of the group.

"They've knuckled down.

"We've had some tough wins away against quality opposition - it's very pleasing."

But Zillman believed the Cowboys would provide their most accurate form gauge to date.

"They are definitely one of the form sides at the moment," he said.

"We are going to have to lift a few steps if we want to beat them - but the guys can do it."

DIEHARD
28-05-12, 07:42 PM
What's the occasion?

Well May 26 was the National Day of Healing, formerly National Sorry Day.

DIEHARD
28-05-12, 07:47 PM
Titans' Bird confident of further victory

FORWARD warrior Greg Bird says the Titans' gritty win against Newcastle has built a platform from which the club can launch an assault on the NRL finals.

Backing up just three days after Origin, Bird scored a try and made 154m from 16 hit-ups to be among the Titans' best in Saturday night's 24-14 win.

The backrower said the refusal to yield when the Knights mounted pressure would bolster the Titans' confidence heading into Friday's derby against the North Queensland Cowboys.

"You get a lot more confidence out of grinding out wins and having confidence in your defensive line than scoring a massive amount of points," Bird said.

"Hopefully that's something that can build a platform for a few wins for us."

The Titans are just a win outside the eight and Bird said there was an opportunity to storm up the points ladder.

"Look at what the Tigers have done.

"They were right down the bottom of the ladder and now they're right up there with six straight (wins).

"There's no reason we can't get ourselves in a similar position.

"We'll just keep chipping away and hopefully keep improving."

Bird said there was plenty to work on if the Titans were to make it three straight against North Queensland.

"We've played a lot better and lost games. It's good to get the win but we have a lot of building to do, a lot of improvement if we expect to beat the Cows this weekend."

The win over the Knights brought up back-to-back wins for the Titans for the first time since the 2010 finals series.

The talk in the aftermath, however, has been about Newcastle's lacklustre display rather than the Titans' dominance.

Bird did not take that approach as a lack of respect though, saying he enjoyed the fact the Titans may slip under the radar.

"It doesn't matter how many times we beat teams, it's always the other team's played bad, not us playing good.

"It doesn't really worry me ... we just need to keep ticking them off.

"It wasn't long ago that people were calling us wooden spoon favourites. I think we're a long way from that."

The Titans' new mix of players was always going to take time to gel, though Bird said they had made things harder than necessary for themselves.

"I think we've shot ourselves in the foot a few times.

"We've dropped too much pill and haven't played consistent football.

"Although we probably didn't play a consistent 80 minutes at the weekend, we held the ball in the right areas and the pressure times when we were under the pump and the Knights were trying to build dominance."

http://www.goldcoast.com.au

Boofhead
29-05-12, 12:26 PM
Titans unchanged for Queensland derby
Adam Gardini | Tuesday 29 May 2012

The Jetstar Gold Coast Titans will stick with a winning formula for this week’s Queensland Derby after today naming an unchanged 18-man squad for Friday night's clash against the North Queensland Cowboys.

Jetstar Titans Coach John Cartwright today named the same 18-man squad that proved too strong for the Knights in an authoritative 24-14 victory in Newcastle last Saturday night.

The full strength Jetstar Titans will be shooting for their third straight win on Friday night in what marks the club's first Friday night match at Skilled Park this year at the exact half way point in the season.

The Titans have won two of four previous clashes against the Cowboys at Skilled Park since the two teams opened the stadium in Round 1, 2008.

Jetstar Titans vs North Queensland Cowboys
7.30pm – Skilled Park Friday, June 1

1. William Zillman
2. Kevin Gordon
3. Jamal Idris
4. Beau Champion
5. David Mead
6. Aidan Sezer
7. Scott Prince (c)
8. Luke Bailey
9. Matt Srama
10. Nate Myles
11. Greg Bird
12. Mark Minichiello
13. Ashley Harrison

14. Luke Douglas
15. Matthew White
16. Ben Ridge
17. Luke O’Dwyer
18. Brenton Lawrence
Coach: John Cartwright

http://www.titans.com.au/news-display/Titans-unchanged-for-Queensland-derby/56067

Boofhead
29-05-12, 12:28 PM
Great looking team. Shift Myles to the back row and bring Lawrence into the forward rotation and then we are perfect!

TITAN PETE
29-05-12, 01:19 PM
Great looking team. Shift Myles to the back row and bring Lawrence into the forward rotation and then we are perfect!

If this was a Horse race the no17 should be scratched so his stablemate no18 will get a run ;)

teke
29-05-12, 01:29 PM
If this was a Horse race the no17 should be scratched so his stablemate no18 will get a run ;)scratched or shot?

Titanic
29-05-12, 03:16 PM
The predictable selection and the usual wait for who gets the short straw. This is going to be a measure of how much confidence the team has taken from the last few weeks.

I dearly hope that we have lost the need to have first tackle plays within our own 40 but I am looking forward to watching the development of our halves combo and am equally intrigued by what Cartwright will do to tighten-up our left side defence. Titans x 3

DavidBouveng
29-05-12, 08:29 PM
what sort of crowd is everyone expecting this week for the cows?

our crowds have risen each game this year with 14,500 or so at the tigers game.

a few wins lately, a few young guys to cheer for and feel optimistic about and a good friday night timeslot...any ideas what this adds up to?

Titanic
29-05-12, 09:29 PM
I was going to sneak my league staff out home for a bbq but since we stopped that we have been winning so I don't want to put a hoodoo on the team :drinkies: so my answer to the question is 3.

karnage
29-05-12, 09:37 PM
There should be absolutely no doubt over who will play. If you seriously think O'Dwyer won't get the nod you need your head read.

When the team is winning - Carty sticks with the same players who are getting the job done. When the team is losing - Carty sticks with the same team because they are working hard and a win has to be just around the corner.

The Cowgirls are already crying foul over the scheduling for this game having to play 3 games in 9 days - but it is exactly the same task that is presented to Bird, Myles, Harro. Except that they get to sleep in their own beds. NQ travelled straight to the coast after their loss to the Tigers. This game will be pretty close I reckon.

Smakked
29-05-12, 10:31 PM
Looking forward to this , I love friday night games

Titans by 4

teke
29-05-12, 11:34 PM
The predictable selection and the usual wait for who gets the short straw. This is going to be a measure of how much confidence the team has taken from the last few weeks.

I dearly hope that we have lost the need to have first tackle plays within our own 40 but I am looking forward to watching the development of our halves combo and am equally intrigued by what Cartwright will do to tighten-up our left side defence. Titans x 3I think the Titans right side defence is as vulnerable as the left if not more. Every game this year the opposition has had a one man overlap attacking our right side and I am just waiting for someone like Thurston to get it right and really put us to the sword down that side.

Titanic
30-05-12, 08:51 AM
Yeah mate, it's a good debate. I feel that the reason they can get that overlap on the right is because they first puncture us on the left which throws the right into a scrambling formation. This does not help Prince in particular who can cover-up in a structured line but is a turnstile when wrong-footed. I am not really criticising him for that because he has other priorities.

DavidBouveng
30-05-12, 10:36 AM
i think the opposition has a good point to attack either side.

Hit Prince with some big men close to the line and watch him jump on there back and get carried over, or go to Jamals side and work them with numbers and get Jamal to chase hard to the outside cos he starts sliding too late.

Depends what side the opposition attacks better with. Cowboys are pretty well served on their right with graham and Tate... but JT also does his best work on the left i think.

It will come down to how much ball we give them on our line at the end of the day. When we are switched on, we seem to defend our line really well, and was a major trait in our glory years of 09/10. but if we are off, they score soft ass tries from dummy half ala SKD and a few others this year.

Titanic
30-05-12, 11:11 AM
Strangely enough I feel Prince can deal with Thurston but I don't think that Harrison and Myles dealt with Tamou very well in Origin so I wish that Douglas would start.

Jamal's Hamstring
30-05-12, 11:18 AM
Not sure which way to go here to be honest. The Titans have been making me some money over the last couple of weeks but I'm a whole lot less confident for this game than last week.

C-Whiz
30-05-12, 05:57 PM
Strangely enough I feel Prince can deal with Thurston but I don't think that Harrison and Myles dealt with Tamou very well in Origin so I wish that Douglas would start.There was a full back-page picture of Tamou with his shirt off in todays Bulletin (looking somewhat fitter than Jamal, I must say) with the tag-line "Unleash Hell".

http://www.goldcoast.com.au/article/2012/05/30/420161_gold-coast-lead-story.html

Personally, I think he has been pretty quiet given his size and ability, even in ANZAC test and Origin, but I sure as hell hope he doesn't decide to lift for this outing.

If we win this game, I will accept that we have turned a corner and are on our way up. I honestly hope that this is the case, but I also honestly don't think the Knights game was any indication of a form reversal.

I hope this is the game that gives me as much confidence as others. :thumbsup:

DavidBouveng
30-05-12, 06:21 PM
we are 2-0 against the cobwebs this year including the trial, both up there...

its only fair we spank them on our turf this time, go 3-0 against them and ignite our season finally.

C-Whiz
30-05-12, 06:50 PM
we are 2-0 against the cobwebs this year including the trial, both up there...

its only fair we spank them on our turf this time, go 3-0 against them and ignite our season finally.+1. Well said. :thumbsup:

Titanic
31-05-12, 08:56 AM
Tamou is a bully but he has a fair pack around him. Who would have thought that Gavin Cooper would come back to haunt us?

gotitans101
31-05-12, 12:07 PM
Let's face it - the win against them in Round 1 was just pure luck on our behalf that we caught them on a bad night. I really rate the Cowboys this year and I think they're the real deal. This game will be a tough one for us and to be honest, I struggle to see us winning this one, but hopefully we put in a good effort at least.

DIEHARD
31-05-12, 02:52 PM
Gold Coast Titans v North Queensland Cowboys
Skilled Park Friday 7.35pm

The Gold Coast?s season reaches a defining moment on Friday night when they host North Queensland in what promises to be a blockbuster of a derby.

It was barely a month ago that the Titans looked on course to endure another season of disappointment with just two wins from their opening nine games leaving them again battling to avoid the wooden spoon.

But coach John Cartwright had insisted that his side was playing too well to keep losing and it seems he was right on the money with consecutive victories giving the Titans hope that they can surge into finals contention over the back half of the season.

In fact, since the Gold Coast fell to their fifth consecutive loss, against the Roosters in Round 6, they have won three out of five and there is no doubt that they are playing a much-improved brand of football.

Having showed rare grit to upset Canterbury 25-14 in Round 10 after trailing 6-4 at the break, they produced their most dominant display of the year last start in Newcastle to down the Knights 24-14. And it has been their big names finally standing tall, with Jamal Idris showing considerable improvement after a slow and injury-hampered start to the year, and Origin forwards Greg Bird and Nate Myles leading from the front. The recent return from injury of captain Scott Prince has also played a leading role in their resurgence.

But they will be tested by a North Queensland side that has, for the most part, established themselves as one of the teams to beat in 2012.

Led by captain Johnathan Thurston and fullback Matt Bowen, their attack has been scintillating so far this season with the 300 points they?ve scored bettered only by competition leaders Melbourne (330).

Key to their success has been the threat they pose across the field. While Thurston and Bowen remain the central figures, halfback Ray Thompson has taken his game to a new level with a full season (including part of 2011) under his belt, while centre Brent Tate and winger Ashley Graham have formed a lethal combination on the right edge with 16 tries and 13 line-breaks between them.

Ironically, while their attack has shone in 2012, they have also been held scoreless once this year ? against the Titans back in Round 1.

No doubt that dismal performance will still linger in North Queensland?s subconscious: in what could only be described as an absolute shocker the Cowboys made a whopping 28 errors and completed just 18 of 39 sets at 46 per cent!

The Titans have named an unchanged line-up for this week?s clash, with Brenton Lawrence again the 18th man.

North Queensland have also named an identical line-up, with Cory Paterson added as the 18th man.

Cowboys prop James Tamou?s 228 metres against Wests Tigers last week was some 26 per cent more than his previous career best and included a 66-metre charge that fell just two metres short of the club record for the longest ever run recorded by a front-rower.

Watch Out Titans: North Queensland winger Ashley Graham is the NRL?s top tryscorer this season with 12 from 11 games, which places him on track to break Matt Bowen?s club record of 22 tries back in 2007. Graham has scored in eight games this year including the last three and is a favourite target of Thurston on the right edge. Expect plenty of ball to flow in his direction.

Danger Sign: The Cowboys will look to play an up-tempo game with their little men ? Thurston, Bowen and Thompson ? using their speed and skill to catch the Titans on the back foot. Key to this is their play-the-ball speed and no side has produced as many quick play-the-balls in 2012 as North Queensland. In total, 324 of their 1607 play-the-balls this season have been fast at an NRL-best 20.2 per cent. The Gold Coast will have to work hard in the tackle to limit the Cowboys? effectiveness.

Watch Out Cowboys: Young hooker Matt Srama has been exceptional for the Titans in recent weeks, his crisp service and ability to follow the football a highlight of his play. Growing in confidence with each outing, Srama has upped the tempo of the Titans? attack and has a natural ability to produce the big play. Two significant moments have stood out in wins over Canterbury and Newcastle: against the Bulldogs he showed great awareness to dive over from dummy-half for a crucial try, then against the Knights he fired a bullet pass close to the line to a rampaging Nate Myles which caught the Newcastle defence unawares.

Danger Sign: The Gold Coast?s back three ? William Zillman, Kevin Gordon and David Mead ? have been one of their strengths this season and they are among the dominant sides in the Telstra Premiership when it comes to the kick return. Their average 12.2 metres per kick return is the best in the NRL and they rank third for total metres made running the ball back with 1416 at 128.7 per game.

Jamal Idris v Brent Tate: Big Jamal Idris has certainly made his presence felt in recent weeks ? upping his involvement, his metres gained and his total runs to help the Titans get their season back on track. He also scored a blockbusting try against his former club Canterbury three weeks ago which would have brought a smile to coach John Cartwright?s lips. He faces a tough test this week, however, against Queensland State of Origin star Brent Tate. Tate was arguably the Maroons? best player in Origin I (along with Thurston) and he will test out Idris? positional play in defence.

Where It Will Be Won: On the edges. Johnathan Thurston is a master of causing confusion three- and four-players-in to create space out wide, but he finds himself up against one of the best back rows in the competition with Greg Bird, Mark Minichiello and Ashley Harrison key members of the Titans pack. Getting one over on them will be easier said than done.

The History: Played 10; Titans 5, Cowboys 5. Nothing splits these two with five wins each since 2007 and two wins apiece at Skilled Park. Only three points separates the Titans and Cowboys from their 10 previous meetings, with the Gold Coast scoring 209 points to 206.

The Last Time They Met: North Queensland were abysmal as they fumbled their way to an 18-0 loss at Dairy Farmers Stadium in Round 1 this year. With 28 errors and a completion rate of just 46 per cent, the Cowboys were never in the contest despite trailing just 6-0 at the break following an early Jamal Idris try.

While Johnathan Thurston described the performance as probably the worst in the club?s 18-season history, it was a sparkling debut for Idris after joining the Titans from Canterbury in the pre-season. Having opened his side?s account, he also sealed the deal with his second try as he ran strongly onto a Matt Srama pass with seven minutes remaining. Steve Michaels was the other tryscorer ? the speedster swooping on a dropped ball from Ashley Graham to cross in the 56th minute.

The Cowboys were forced to make 90 tackles more than the visitors and ran for just 1080 metres to the Gold Coast?s 1375.

Greg Bird was a standout, running for 170 metres from 22 runs with six tackle-breaks and two offloads, while Luke Bailey was also strong with 135 metres up front.

A total of 12 North Queensland players were guilty of making errors, with Thurston the main culprit (six) and Ashley Graham chipping in with four.

Match Officials: Referees ? Shayne Hayne & Alan Shortall; Sideline Officials ? David Abood & Dave Munro; Video Referee ? Paul Simpkins.

The Way We See It: One of the toughest games of the round to pick. The Titans know it is crucial that they keep their good run going with a third consecutive win, while North Queensland will be keen to avoid a second straight loss following their narrow defeat to the Wests Tigers last Sunday. The loss of back-rower Tariq Sims for the season remains a huge blow for North Queensland and they will miss his impact against the Gold Coast?s strong back row. It could go either way but we think the Titans might just have found their mojo and can scrape home in this one. Titans by two points.

Televised: Channel 9 ? Live 7.30pm (Qld), delayed 9.30pm (NSW); Fox Sports 2 ? Delayed 1am Sat.

? Statistics: NRL Stats

http://www.nrl.com/

DavidBouveng
31-05-12, 03:12 PM
I can't seem to Bold the text on my phone, but the paragraph outlining our back three being best in comp for kick return average and third best for total metres is a suprise.

DIEHARD
31-05-12, 03:39 PM
http://www.titans.com.au/site/_content/LeadImage/00028990-leadimage.jpg

The Jetstar Gold Coast Titans are teaming up with the Gold Coast Bulletin to offer fans a special mates rates ticketing deal for tomorrow night's clash against the Cowboys - two gold seats for $30.

Fans that book before 1pm tomorrow (Friday, June 1) can purchase two adult tickets in gold seating for only $30 (normally valued at $86).

To take advantage of this exclusive Bully Mates’ Rates offer, use the codeword GOLD when booking at Ticketek outlets.

CLICK HERE TO TAKE UP THIS OFFER VIA THE TICKTEK WEBSITE (http://www.titans.com.au/news-display/Mates-rates-tickets-for-Cowboys-game/www.ticketek.com.au/gcbulletin)

Source: http://www.titans.com.au

DIEHARD
31-05-12, 03:47 PM
Anyone got a PAX number? Anyone got a crowd prediction?

Realistically maybe 18,000 but I hope we can break 20k and get around 21,000.

DIEHARD
31-05-12, 04:12 PM
Legion SOLD OUT
Titanium Unlicensed SOLD OUT

Titanic
31-05-12, 05:38 PM
I can't seem to Bold the text on my phone, but the paragraph outlining our back three being best in comp for kick return average and third best for total metres is a surprise.

+1 ... Mead and Zillman must be responsible for 95% of that.

C-Whiz
31-05-12, 07:55 PM
the paragraph outlining our back three being best in comp for kick return average and third best for total metres is a suprise.

+1 ... Mead and Zillman must be responsible for 95% of that.You think that is surprising? What about this stuff??

Gold Coast Titans v North Queensland Cowboys
Skilled Park Friday 7.35pmthey produced their most dominant display of the year last start in Newcastle to down the Knights 24-14.

And it has been their big names finally standing tall, with Jamal Idris showing considerable improvement

Jamal Idris v Brent Tate: Big Jamal Idris has certainly made his presence felt in recent weeks ? upping his involvement, his metres gained and his total runs to help the Titans get their season back on track. He also scored a blockbusting try against his former club Canterbury

Am I missing something?

kwigibo
31-05-12, 08:17 PM
I can't seem to Bold the text on my phone, but the paragraph outlining our back three being best in comp for kick return average and third best for total metres is a suprise.

Well, total metres could just mean they let the opposition complete too many sets, and average could mean they pick the ball up too deep. It's not a stat I'd invest too much meaning in.

DavidBouveng
31-05-12, 08:32 PM
You think that is surprising? What about this stuff??

Am I missing something?

yeah but those comments are based on improvement to our own poor early season standards.

the comments about our back three are a comparison to 15 other NRL teams and there are a few decent teams out there.

im sure it could be an anomoly like some else has mentioned, but it is still a suprise to read.

And titanic is correct about mead and zillman being responsible for most of it. id say gordon 5%, zillman 30% mead 65%

DavidBouveng
31-05-12, 08:37 PM
Anyone got a PAX number? Anyone got a crowd prediction?

Realistically maybe 18,000 but I hope we can break 20k and get around 21,000.

18k was the number i had in my head but didnt wanna put it out there cos ppl might think im dreaming. I would say 16k absolute minimum, but hopefully 18-19k.

the rain could be a problem.

also,do these random deals that have been available for every home game piss off ppl with memberships? will you spend 500 per seat next year ( or whatever yours is) knowing the club could have fire sales for every home game?

can only see it devaluing the memberships.

P.S. whats a PAX number?

Titanic
31-05-12, 09:23 PM
pax = passengers in airline jargon but also people too these days (listen to my old man voice).

teke
31-05-12, 11:33 PM
I can't seem to Bold the text on my phone, but the paragraph outlining our back three being best in comp for kick return average and third best for total metres is a suprise.Im not surprised at all cause I follow stats closely. The best wingers and fullbacks get the ball and go straight and fast at the line all the time. None of this fart ars-ing around trying to step and weave. The back 3 are the ones that get the team on the front foot of every set, if you dont have such then you struggle.

DIEHARD
01-06-12, 12:58 AM
Time for Titans to fire at home: Bailey

Gold Coast stalwart Luke Bailey says the improving Titans will be aiming to reward loyal fans with an overdue NRL win against a quality Cowboys line-up at Skilled Park on Friday night.

But he says they will have to stop one of the competition's best front-row pairings in Origin and Australian reps Matt Scott and James Tamou as well as attacking dynamos Johnathan Thurston and Matt Bowen.

Almost unbeatable at Skilled Park in their formative years, Titans fans have not celebrated a home win in five games this season.

In fact, they've only cracked the champagne once in their past 13 games at the Robina ground.

But after back-to-back wins against the Bulldogs (25-14) and Newcastle (24-14), the Titans have turned the corner after fears their season might be already over.

Bailey said the players couldn't count on home-ground advantage against the sixth-placed Cowboys.

"The home (ground) advantage hasn't worked for us this year, so we're not relying on that. I think we're relying on what we've done the last couple of weeks," he said on Thursday.

"We're still yet to prove ourselves at home in front of our fans and I guess tomorrow night's game is a chance to do that."

His looming battle with Scott and Tamou presents a considerable challenge for Bailey but one he said the Titans pack was excited about and certainly not intimidated by.

"It's always exciting when you play in the front row against the best and they're probably up there with the best at the moment," Bailey said of Scott and Tamou.

"Tamou obviously killed it (in Origin) and he's riding the confidence wave at the moment and Matt Scott's obviously one of the best front-rowers in the game.

"We're up for a challenge. I'm excited about how our pack is finally doing some damage."

Titans coach John Cartwright, meanwhile, jumped to the defence of young centre Jamal Idris following comments about his weight by TV commentators last weekend.

Idris, whose training has been restricted by hamstring and foot injuries, has always battled with his weight, even at the Bulldogs.

"In this day and age I don't think TV commentators should get in there and talk about a guy's weight and grin about it ... I don't think that should be received well by anyone," said Cartwright.

"He's a young fella and like anyone it's not going to sit well but we've just got to keep working on it.

"Can't fault Jamal's work on the field and he has the support and confidence of everyone at the Titans anyway."

Source: http://www.NRL.com

karnage
01-06-12, 09:14 AM
18k was the number i had in my head but didnt wanna put it out there cos ppl might think im dreaming. I would say 16k absolute minimum, but hopefully 18-19k.

the rain could be a problem.

also,do these random deals that have been available for every home game piss off ppl with memberships? will you spend 500 per seat next year ( or whatever yours is) knowing the club could have fire sales for every home game?

can only see it devaluing the memberships.

P.S. whats a PAX number?

I'm all for doing whatever it takes to get people through the gate, because a good crowd makes the night more enjoyable for everybody, but it should not be done at the expense of people who paid top dollar for a season ticket. We pay massive overs for season tickets as it is.

It does devalue our membership, but there is NO WAY that I will be buying one next year if Searle is in charge anyway.:fight:

However, back on topic - I think this rain works in our favour tonight. If it can keep raining the game will tighten up and we can work the ball down the middle to beat them. I hope it keeps raining...

Toads
01-06-12, 09:27 AM
I wouldn't bank on the Cowboys game falling apart because of a bit of rain. Afterall, they reside in a place (Townsville) that has a Dry and a Wet Season. If anything, hope that a cold snap graces Skilled Park tonight, as that'll be about the only thing weather-wise that might rattle 'em.. :laugh:

Titanic
01-06-12, 09:40 AM
C'mon lads what's wrong ... get down and slip something into their water ... you saw what that did to Taylor before Origin 1 (Ricky never complained about that).

DavidBouveng
01-06-12, 09:59 AM
C'mon lads what's wrong ... get down and slip something into their water ... you saw what that did to Taylor before Origin 1 (Ricky never complained about that).

can you elaborate?

im not sure if you are taking the piss or if i missed something.

Titanic
01-06-12, 12:54 PM
I was referring to Taylor's case of the runs before he took the field in Origin 1.

Smakked
01-06-12, 02:57 PM
I hope he have a massive lead buy half way through the second half, as i will have to leave then, just got called to work :(

teke
01-06-12, 03:22 PM
This rain has really dampened my spirits about this game.

Im still confident of a good titan performance.

Titanic
01-06-12, 03:26 PM
This rain has really dampened my spirits

Hey Teke, rain normally does that ;) I can't get the last time we played them and all that dropped ball out of my mind ... must be an omen.

DavidBouveng
01-06-12, 04:21 PM
rain scares me from a crowd point of view.

there always seems to be people who are lining up for tickets right as the game is starting. they will be less inclined to go i think.

whereas i buy mine early on so i cant be swayed if its raining or im tired from work or some other crap.

titans by 14. zillman a double....you heard it here first!

teke
01-06-12, 04:31 PM
Hey Teke, rain normally does that ;) :D

Yeah I cant get the opening round outta my mind either.

hatchy84
01-06-12, 06:19 PM
What's the crowd like gents

Supergoose
01-06-12, 06:43 PM
Tragic start. Defend! Hang-on knock on cowboys, not picked up by refs. It's a carve up already.

Supergoose
01-06-12, 06:50 PM
Great tackle by Prince and we have the ball after 46 consecutive tackles.

Supergoose
01-06-12, 06:51 PM
So much for home team advantage. Johnson throws a forward pass, missed by everyone.

Supergoose
01-06-12, 06:57 PM
Injury to segeyaro and some stoppage just what we need to catch some breath. Good defence now need to start pegging back some territory.

Jamal's Hamstring
01-06-12, 06:58 PM
I'll have Mead for the first try and the Titans with a 10.5 start thanks...

Supergoose
01-06-12, 07:03 PM
YESSSSSS!!!!! DJ Kilogram in the corner 4 nil kick to come Titans

Supergoose
01-06-12, 07:22 PM
Prince lighting it up and puts Bird over. It defence has been great and we're taking opportunities, this is like 2 years ago. Resilience and poise, passion and desire. Go boys. The cows will be having nightmares about us.

Supergoose
01-06-12, 07:25 PM
Remember the Titans! Right side - STRONG side!

Boonarga
01-06-12, 07:29 PM
That is the best Titans 40 minute performance, EVER!

teke
OMG - Titans defence is solid as a rock at half time. Good defensive reads all over the place.

Cowboys have got away with 2 blatant knockons that could have been crucial.

Titanic
Man, that was nearly the perfect half of rugby league ... errors but resolve ... you can't ask for more than that.

Ryan
01-06-12, 07:30 PM
There must have been some off field developments for the better - I cant remember seeing the guys playing with so much enthusiasm!

Defense is brilliant, and attack looks confident. **** its been awhile..... :)

teke
01-06-12, 07:31 PM
Matt White is playing a good, strong and straight.

Meads speed almost beat the cowboys passing game with 3 tackles on one play :salute:

Supergoose
01-06-12, 07:31 PM
David Mead scrambles and makes three tackles in three seconds. We're showing some real fight here going in to half time. Where's this been? Kicking game after first kick until about 33 minutes was excellent but last 3 or so put pressure on us as the wingers caught them on the full and on the run to put us on the back foot.

Cowboys look like they're panicking. We need a good start to the 2nd half and to hold our nerve. Big games required from Matt White and Ben Ridge with all the tackling we did early and the loss of Bull to a rib complaint.

Supergoose
01-06-12, 07:34 PM
Best Titans performance ever, I'd say it's close but worth nothing if we don't finish the job. We're going well, let's hope the refs can catch up - they've been woeful.

gotitans101
01-06-12, 07:35 PM
Can't remember the last time we've defended like this - just incredible.

Hope the boys come out with the same attitude in the second half.

hatchy84
01-06-12, 07:39 PM
Guys we look the goods we gotta keep going.

Bayside Titan
01-06-12, 07:55 PM

Meads speed almost beat the cowboys passing game with 3 tackles on one play :salute:
Agreed about Whitey and for me Mead MOM.

Bayside Titan
01-06-12, 07:55 PM

Agreed about Whitey and for me Mead MOM.

Knightstalker
01-06-12, 08:23 PM
Titans on fire! Hope this sees us into the 8!

Jamal's Hamstring
01-06-12, 08:25 PM
Can't really complain about that!

Although seeing Mead go over first would have been nice.

Supergoose
01-06-12, 08:25 PM
3-in-a-row, it's a streak! I now have no doubt we'll make the eight. Sad to lose Bailey, by the sounds of it for maybe the season. BJ, Matt White and Ryan James have the job in front of them to pick up the work of our pack leader.

hatchy84
01-06-12, 08:37 PM
White starts with douglas Lawrence rotation next week.odwyer mini ridge backrow James and page hopefully on bench

Titanic
01-06-12, 08:38 PM
You forgot Henderson ... :-)

Great win and really well deserved. Played with passion and brains. Cows were made to look ordinary. Prince/Harrison/Bird were my men of the match.

Anyone else notice the similarity between JT and Joey Johns? Whenever their teams go bad they have an injury ... lmao.

Jamal's Hamstring
01-06-12, 08:41 PM
If Hendo goes ahead of BJ I will be shattered. I just don't understand why that bloke doesn't get a run...

Titanic
01-06-12, 08:44 PM
Next week will be interesting without Harrison/Myles/Bird and Bailey, and the Sharks without Carney and Gallen, we could possibly see Lawrence, James, Falloon AND the goat or even Idris in the forwards and Peyroux back.

gotitans101
01-06-12, 08:46 PM
Another courageous win by our boys, a lot of positives to come out of tonight.

The Sharks will be without Paul Gallen next week too - that is a HUGE loss for them.

eelectrica
01-06-12, 09:13 PM
Brilliant game from the Titans. Difference between now and the start of the year they can now put points on the board which they couldn't earlier.
Sezer rookie of the year?

lonegull
01-06-12, 09:14 PM
what a win, not once did the titans panic in defence. A real strong team effort they just seemed to be putting in for each other some real good performaces tonight to many to single anyone out, good to have that winning feeling back and I think the sleeping giant has awoken

teke
01-06-12, 09:15 PM
Yeah there were heaps of good efforts tonight.

Srama and White stuck out in my mind.

Boofhead
01-06-12, 09:16 PM
Heroic. This will bring the bandwagoners back! Need a copy on DVD!!!

GoldCoastTitans100
01-06-12, 09:22 PM
Never thought I would say this,

Prince is in form, he played well and congrats to him !

This being said it has taken him long enough to get into some form.

Tamwelg
01-06-12, 09:26 PM
WOW

A great all round team performance. Every single Titans player put their hand up. I'm almost in shock at how well they play. It was such a joy to watch.

shamus
01-06-12, 09:35 PM

Not as much pressure on him now that Seizer is in there....Fantastic win, I thought we would may hold them to NIL for both games but not to be...no matter...

Question.... When was the last time we scored 16 points in the 2nd half?

Oh.....Did anyone notice Idris and Champion swap after we scored our last try? We had about 4 minutes to go?......Lasted about 90 seconds and they switched back. Not sure what was going on there....but if they were going to experiment wouldn't you do it with say....10 minutes to go?

DavidBouveng
01-06-12, 09:37 PM
just got home from the game and watching the replay.

so many positives, but to sum it up, we looked like a very good NRL team instead of the Q cup stuff weve been producing.

we played great on both sides of the ball, and looked like our 2010 team except we can score points. if we can keep this up we are a vast improvement from that year.

I also noticed Meads 3 efforts in 3 seconds and was in awe. those moments make a teams season.

gordon was his best yet in case it gets overshadowed by other peoples great games.

if we could have beaten those damn tigers that night, wed be 2 points behind Brisbane and 2nd place...at least till sunday lol, but probably 5th outright. amazing.

hatchy84
01-06-12, 09:44 PM
32 from 37 sets never seen our completion rate that good its a big part of our turnaround mini hasn't dropped the ball since he been back I think? Srama will be better than friend could ever be

karnage
01-06-12, 09:47 PM
WOW!!

WOW!!

WOW!!

WOW!!

I enjoyed that SO much tonight. We really looked like a football team tonight. The defence was outstanding, the go forward was exceptional, the halves did their job, Champion played like a centre should and the wingers were ridiculously strong bringing the ball out of our own end.

I can't help but look forward to next week but I just want to savour this weekend before I think about a Gallen and Carney-less sharks. Sure, we will be missing our entire back row but 18 points shoudl be enough to win that game with their entire attacking spark out.

A very, very enjoyable night at the footy. WHAT A CHANGE!!

DavidBouveng
01-06-12, 09:56 PM
has anyone mentioned Baileys injury on here?

a popped rip or lose bone floating around in his chest?

he only lasted 10 mins or something. i didnt really realise on the ground.

our basic skills are a world away from early on. offloads and quick passing when under pressure are just totally different.

also, zillman and Mead are beginning to form a pretty great understanding of each other in defense and attack.

TITAN PETE
01-06-12, 10:01 PM
Brilliant performance by every player on the park including Chalky :surprise:

That was the Titans best performance since 2010 & was easily the best defensive effort from. Any NRL team in the competition this season .

Bird,Prince,Srama,Harro,Zill or Champion could have been named Man of the Match & u wouldn't have gotten an argument from me I thought the entire 17 man squad played awesome footy.

Loved Srama being interviewed & he said something about concentrating on a "Top 4 Spot" , love the confidence :thumbsup:

Bayside Titan
01-06-12, 10:05 PM
Great win and good to Champion get over twice. He has looked pretty good the past few weeks. Definately think that Srama and White played well. Thought that some of the kicks Srama did put of dummy half also give us something else in attack.

DavidBouveng
01-06-12, 10:12 PM

That was the Titans best performance since 2010 & was easily the best defensive effort from. Any NRL team in the competition this season .

Bird,Prince,Srama,Harro,Zill or Champion could have been named Man of the Match & u wouldn't have gotten an argument from me I thought the entire 17 man squad played awesome footy.

Loved Srama being interviewed & he said something about concentrating on a "Top 4 Spot" , love the confidence :thumbsup:

i got home from the game and my missus, who watched it on TV, mentioned the Srama interview.

She said it was funny cos for a team coming 12th or whatever, he said well concentrate on the top 4 with total conviction and belief...

and yes champion was very good, 2 tries aside even.

it made me smile to see Carty smile too. he is a nice guy no matter how u cut it, and its good to see some happiness after a long season and a half

Mexican titan
01-06-12, 10:36 PM

As many of us said - it was because he had no other play makers in the side. Once Sezer got there and found his feet, Prince is a new man.
Meanwhile I might head over to the thread about sacking Cartwright and see what people are saying now.

Supergoose
01-06-12, 11:17 PM
Im still buzzing and it was a great win and awesome performance. What gets me is Idris still looks like a duck out of water on the left side of the field. He should've taken on Tate at one stage but threw an early ball to a marked KG. he fends exclusively with his left hand so if we manage to get him outside his opposite when on the left he can't use his right to hold him off and doesn't even look for the contact. After that performance not sure how we can justify making the change but I'd love to see if Champion could make a go of the left instead. He seems a little more adaptable. Unless we can get Jamal fending with his right and carrying with his left we're going to be impotent on the left hand side unless Bird does something. Bird turning Jamal back inside is the only way it will work currently.

patskE
02-06-12, 12:55 AM
just watched the game. wow cant really fault anyone...
love how our wingers are allowed to roam infield. mead was my MOTM
anyone see that bullet left to right pass from zillman at dummy? tbh the best left to right pass i have ever seen, went 30m within half a sec lol.
no point also having idris hitting the ball up 2m away from the line under the post, u need to get him out wider to do that so there is less defense.

also white is winning my respect... haven't really ever rated him.
he has less errors in him n he doesn't really force the offload, only when its on... really put his hand up when bailey was injured.

i still wanna see some kick of scrums or some chips for a flying Gordon or mead... no one will catch em...

Chaserz
02-06-12, 01:29 AM
WOW

A great all round team performance. Every single Titans player put their hand up. I'm almost in shock at how well they play. It was such a joy to watch.

My thoughts exactly! Couldn't watch it live since I was at work at the office (curse the 9 hours time difference!), but I just used some headphones and listened via the live radio instead and couldn't hold my enthusiasm - I was getting all happy with each try and I am thrilled to see the spark is back. Looking forward to the videos on the internet!

C-Whiz
02-06-12, 06:18 AM

I enjoyed that SO much tonight.
A very, very enjoyable night at the footy. WHAT A CHANGE!!

Easily the best 80 minute performance that I can remember, ever. We never switched off, and it was awesome from start to finish.

As others have said, it was an absolute joy to watch last night. There was hardly any cringe-worthy moments, and (almost) everybody played out of their skins.

Oh.....Did anyone notice Idris and Champion swap after we scored our last try? if they were going to experiment wouldn't you do it with say....10 minutes to go?It needs to be said, because it is easy to overlook on the back of such an outstanding team performance, that Idris was still just making up numbers out there. I honestly don't want to be critical on the back of the greatest ever Titans performance, but he was a passenger. I'll leave it at that, because it was all-round the most positive performance I can remember.

Mini is back to career best, and like Pete said, even Chalky played like a bench NRL player. I was worried on his early touches, but he seemed to just get better as he lifted with the team. I think this was the thing last night, they all seemed to feed off each others enthusiasm and they found new heights as a team. It was an amazing effort, and one that has reminded us all of just how potent our playing roster really is, when they play to their known ability.

Keep it up Titans!
Last night you went from a team of champions to a CHAMPION TEAM!! :salute:

TITAN PETE
02-06-12, 07:12 AM
Titans score gutsy Win

Wayne Heming AAP Fri, Jun 01, 2012 - 11:41 PM

Gold Coast continued their mid-season surge with an eye-catching 28-12 NRL win over North Queensland at Skilled Park on Friday night to finally break their home hoodoo.

Ridiculed as 150-1 premiership outsiders after a horror start to 2012, the Titans' disposal of a quality Cowboys outfit would have had bookmakers running for cover after their third straight and most impressive win.

On a day when reports surfaced the financially embattled club may yet be able to pay some of their creditors, the Titans posted their first home win since round 24 last year to end a six-game home losing streak in front of a crowd of 12,092.

It was just their second win in their past 14 games at Skilled Park but one which could prove a turning point in their season.

It didn't look to be the Titans' night after young five-eighth Aidan Sezer allowed Johnathan Thurston's kick-off to bounce in goal and go dead.

In an amazing opening 10 minutes, the Titans were forced to make four goal line drop-outs in a row and 50 tackles to just one by the Cowboys.

Cowboys representative props Matt Scott and James Tamou smashed the Titans up the middle early with a glut of possession but the Titans back-row tackled themselves to a standstill to stop every raid until the tide turned late in the half.

Tries to winger Kevin Gordon in the 18th minute and NSW State of Origin representative Greg Bird in the 35th minute were converted by halfback Scott Prince to give the Titans a most unlikely 12-0 halftime lead.

Queensland lock Ashley Harrison showed the hands of an Australian slips fieldsman to scoop up a Matt Srama grubber in the 56th minute and cross for a brilliant try.

When centre Beau Champion scored five minutes later for the first of his double, the Titans had shot out to a 22-0 lead.

The Cowboys only managed to get on the scoreboard in the 70th minute when late inclusion Cory Paterson scored before Jason Taumalolo crossed in the final minute of the match.

The high-paced clash claimed Titans prop Luke Bailey, who was taken to hospital with a `popped rib' and Cowboys hooker James Segeyaro, diagnosed with a high grade syndesmosis (ankle injury).

Titans coach John Cartwright used the win to take a shot at critics who, just a month ago, had written off his team.

"People were quick to say our season was over," said Cartwright.

"But the playing group didn't believe that and they've stayed tough through some dark times."

Cartwright said Bird was playing the best football of his career and he also praised the rapid progress of Sezer.

Cowboys coach Neil Henry copped the club's second straight loss on the chin, refusing to offer up any excuses.

"Anyone who watched that game could see we were comprehensively outplayed," he said,

"We were out-defended by a better side on the night, they haven't got any excuses."

Cartwright meanwhile confirmed Bailey had gone to hospital as a precaution while Henry was uncertain how serious Segeyaro's ankle injury was.

GoldCoastTitans100
02-06-12, 07:42 AM
As many of us said - it was because he had no other play makers in the side. Once Sezer got there and found his feet, Prince is a new man.
Meanwhile I might head over to the thread about sacking Cartwright and see what people are saying now.

I would still sack Cartwright any day of the week.

Titanic
02-06-12, 09:14 AM
I would still sack Cartwright any day of the week.

+1 ... how anybody can credit that win, with a completely un-Cartwright structure, to the coach amazes me but that does not take away from the extraordinary effort from the players.

I really thought that Ridge brought his potential to the fore and Prince proved once again that head to head he owns Thurston.

Does anyone think that Gordon has lost his zip? He is strong and reliable in defence, unless left stranded by the whale inside of him, but he got into space twice last night and the first time he couldn't catch up to the play and the second time he had no extra gear.

In saying that, I must admit to liking our left-side attack. Bird is a machine and with Idris distracting the defence that's a nice little combo, imho. If you add to that Champion running on to some quality ball then that's delicious. Mead as a quality finisher provides the distraction there but he'll have to accept that he has competition in the try-scoring department.

Minichiello hasn't tried to off-load in traffic for a month since they moved him to the right (Cartwright applause) and his game has gone up a level.

My favourite play was when Cooper chased a bomb, was allowed to catch it (seven feet tall always beats six feet) and then got smashed ... :laugh:

karnage
02-06-12, 09:16 AM
I love Ridge. He needs to be in our 17 every week.

Chaos
02-06-12, 09:59 AM
The difference between the Titans last night and the Titans at the start of the year is the confidence in Scott Prince.
He took the line on last night and didn't hesitate with his options.
I admit it was helped by defenders like Thompson who back away on his own defensive line.

The forwards again did the job they have done in the past 5 years, except Birds confidence has him playing the ball a lot quicker.

Another player playing with confidence is Zillman...he and the two wingers really start our go forward, making it easier for our forwards to keep the role going. I'm sure some Titan fans will start changing there opinion on Zillman.

I hope you guys at the game enjoyed yourselves because I was stuck with Ray Hadley and Fatty talking absolute crap.

BTW. if I hear Wally Lewis mention the phrase "dictate terms to the opposition" again, I'll personally remove the crown from his head!

TITAN PETE
02-06-12, 10:03 AM
I love Ridge. He needs to be in our 17 every week.

Yes Yes Yes
Ridgey will be another Menzies/Hindmarsh type player that will always put in 100% :thumbsup:

Chaos
02-06-12, 10:03 AM
Does anyone think that Gordon has lost his zip? He is strong and reliable in defence, unless left stranded by the whale inside of him, but he got into space twice last night and the first time he couldn't catch up to the play and the second time he had no extra gear.

There's no doubt Gordon hasn't the speed he had before his injury but he's still a good winger and not slow.
You know how fast he was and whether or not he gets back to his previous pace...at least you know his going to get quicker.

Rage
02-06-12, 10:15 AM
What an amazing effort! Can we all agree for once that the Titans won that game instead of the opposition losing.

I honestly can't fault any of them, there were at least 5 or 6 man of the match contenders for me. It's been a long time since we've seen both attack and defence so great and I'm hoping this is what we can come to expect for the rest of the season.

Princey's Titanz
02-06-12, 10:17 AM
Always knew Prince had it in him. I hope the haters are gone now. Truly inspirational effort from the boys. Out of nowhere they certainly got there confidence back and it seems like the team knows what they are doing.

The confidence has certainly come from the couple of wins in a short period of time. A win against the Cowboys means that we have what it takes to make the top 8. I am truly happy for the boys and i hope we can continue this. We really looked like a quality footy team last night.

Amazing defensive effort in the first 9 mins of the game.

Rage
02-06-12, 11:19 AM
Wayne Heming AAP Sat, Jun 02, 2012 - 11:52 AM

Every good team has one and Gold Coast coach John Cartwright believes his NRL side is building a spine that will make them tough to beat at the back end of the season.

The emergence of impressive young five-eighth Aidan Sezer stood out for the Titans in their 28-12 upset of North Queensland at Skilled Park on Friday night with Cartwright acknowledging the importance of the Canterbury cast-off to his side's future.

In the presence of five-eighth greatness of Wally Lewis and Darren Lockyer who were commentating on the clash, Sezer stepped up against a world class act in Johnathan Thurston and did himself proud.

The time he created with the ball would have impressed Lewis, while his passing and kicking display drew praise from Lockyer.

But it was Cartwright who heaped the accolades on 21 year-old after he combined beautifully with halfback Scott Prince and hooker Matt Srama against the Cowboy's dangerous spine of Ray Thompson, Thurston and Matt Bowen.

Sezer's game stats didn't reflect the role he played in the win after being smashed by Cowboys forward Cory Paterson at one stage.

"He's a tough kid. Him and Scott (Prince) and Matty (Srama) are starting to do things together with just a nod of the head," said Cartwright.

"Tonight was probably as crisp as they've been with the ball and I thought we really tested the defence of a side I rate very highly."

Cartwright said also that skipper Scott Prince had put the "fun" back in his game.

"He looks like he's really enjoying himself and that's the key, enjoying yourself at training, enjoying yourself with the group and winning games," said Cartwright.

"Our halves hooker and fullback have been really hard to handle the last three weeks."

Prince, who was doing it tough early in the season, always knew things would turn around.

"There were some dark days, but we've moved on now," he said

"It builds character and we appreciate the good times.

"We (team) have got the confidence and self belief back but we've worked very hard for it."

Cartwright described the victory as one of his side's most courageous with the Titans surviving an amazing opening 10 minute onslaught and losing forward leader Luke Bailey to a rib injury.

A Titans official said the club was awaiting a medical update on Bailey who is in doubt for next weekend's away clash with Cronulla

Meanwhile the Cowboys will have an ankle injury which forced hooker James Segeyaro from the field investigated once they arrive back in Townsville on Saturday.

Ryan
02-06-12, 12:29 PM
I still don't think Prince played any better (or different) than he has been for the last 2 months. Even statistically there hasn't been any difference in his games. The Prince haters are still here, they're just trying to swallow their mouthful of pie...

Two points that I think are behind the turn around:

1. Sezer and Zillman presenting themselves to the opposition as attackers requiring attention, so the opposition defense has not been able to focus purely on shutting down Prince.

2. The attitude of the other 14 players taking the field. Last night, every single player was putting their hand up in defense and attack! The first 10 minutes of the match was unbelievable, there were numbers communicating and sliding perfectly in defense shutting down every play, set after set.
And in attack, there were numbers running in support and in position. Our backline movement was slick enough to run around the Cowboys, and strong enough to run through them several times over.

For the majority of possession they were threatening to score or break through, and for the majority of defense they were shutting down every play.

Confidence is one thing, there was no shortage of that and is no doubt building, but I put last nights efforts down to ATTITUDE for the majority.

I'd like to know the latest developments off field, surely something has progressed that has positively affected the boys??

C-Whiz
02-06-12, 02:12 PM
I still don't think Prince played any better (or different) than he has been for the last 2 months. I agree with most of your post, but there is no doubt Prince ran at the line last night, took it too the line and even through it, rather than trying to offload it 3 metres from the defensive line. That is what keeps their defensive line on the back foot, even running backwards as they worry about what he is going to do. Champagne Prince.

Mexican titan
02-06-12, 02:15 PM
+1 ... how anybody can credit that win, with a completely un-Cartwright structure, to the coach amazes me but that does not take away from the extraordinary effort from the players.

Interesting that you are prepared to bag the coach while they are losing but give him no credit when they start winning. Maybe the "un-Cartwright structure" you refer to is now possible because we have the best team on the field.
Anyway, that is for another thread I guess and we should concentrate on what a great win it was.

DavidBouveng
02-06-12, 02:31 PM
I noticed also with prince, who has ran at the line more recently, that he was seriously Motoring at the line with real pace. like sprinting at times, not gliding or ambling.

The urgency he showed kept defenders on him.

It was goot

DavidBouveng
02-06-12, 05:15 PM
just read an article in the SMH commending us on our defense after 'kicking out on the full to begin the game' as well as saying our third straight win complemented our wins over Canterbury and Wests Tigers....:ugh:

Jamal's Hamstring
02-06-12, 05:33 PM
Too far north to care about mate.

Titanic
02-06-12, 06:35 PM
Interesting that you are prepared to bag the coach while they are losing but give him no credit when they start winning.

I have addressed it an another thread but suffice to say that one excellent game in 2 years says it all but that's only my opinion and you are certainly welcome to yours.

DIEHARD
02-06-12, 08:04 PM
This was the type of game you want to keep on the shelf because it makes you so proud as a Titans supporter!

The team across the board were fantastic and a good handful in contention for best player.

Prince, Bird, Mead and Zillman were awesome. Prince was tremendous.

And it was a great game of rugby league. It was an arm wrestle not a walk over. We can take pride in that performance. It was one worthy of Friday Night Football!

The ball movement and defence was awesome. And REPEAT SETS! That's how you dominate!

It's probably the best I can remember seeing them play, as they didn't switch off.

If we can get through Origin and then pick up that other BYE and hold or improve our form. WATCH OUT NRL!

I feel like my team is actually COMPETING in the National Rugby League now!

karnage
02-06-12, 08:43 PM
Yes Yes Yes
Ridgey will be another Menzies/Hindmarsh type player that will always put in 100% :thumbsup:

His best effort last night came on an inside ball to Bowen who was sniffing around at the back of the ruck. Bowen was away straight up the centre except that Ridge did the hard work from the inside and SMASHED him right on the advantage line.

It was a classy play by a guy with huge upside.

I agree with others who credit Chalky with a decent game last night but there is no way that he should be able to keep Ridge out of the team.

Titanic
02-06-12, 09:42 PM
Gee lads, it's nearly time to start second guessing Cartwright on next week's team ... can't wait for the thread :-)

Toads
02-06-12, 09:46 PM
One incredible night of Footy, most of youse have already covered it to how I felt about the game, pretty well a faultless effort all round. And for the small crowd, the atmosphere was electric, it's been a long time since we've experienced that at home. There's no doubt in my mind, that the effort the boys put in last night and the crowd backing them. It will instill a new confidence within the squad that may give em that extra lift for the remainder of the season. Even the extra drummers from within The Legions pit were giving it their all..

The only two downsides of the game for me was.. Firstly, the drunken goose behind me that couldn't handle his liquor, and had to yell everything that he was driveling on about so everyone in the surrounding area could here him. If it was the usual run of the mill game last night. I would've been prepared to run the risk of getting the a-holed from the stadium, just so I could have the satisfaction to put a couple on him. Fortunately by half-time he was that pissed, that he could hardly speak. So the rest of us finally got to enjoy the game from then on..

And secondly, I was disappointed to watch the replay only to painfully sit thru that dropkick Ray Hadley commentating. Channel 9 can expect a dirty e-mail from me, come Monday Morning..

Also, on a side note.. What happened with the Lads and them meant to be wearing the Indiginous Jersey last night, as I had big plans of getting a few of them to sign mine. But seemed pointless because they didn't play in it.

Nonetheless, the Best performance I've witnessed from our belovered Titans in a couple of years. :thumbsup:

DIEHARD
03-06-12, 01:14 AM
Also, on a side note.. What happened with the Lads and them meant to be wearing the Indiginous Jersey last night, as I had big plans of getting a few of them to sign mine. But seemed pointless because they didn't play in it.

I was thinking the same thing. But I dont have an answer on that. Seems strange to me. Especially with all the effort, promotion and that the Cowboys were the ideal opponent.

It'd a bit rough for those many Titans fans who purchased one, expecting them to be worn.

Maybe they will pencil in another game for that.

DIEHARD
03-06-12, 01:15 AM
Also bloody funny that our own Hully Gully parked directly in front of me!

Thanks Gavin! I also followed you out, so my car wouldnt get bogged!

TITAN PETE
03-06-12, 11:04 AM
Titans spirit returns
Travis Meyn **|**02:40pm June 2,

AT the Titans' final training session before last night's gritty 28-12 win over North Queensland, the northern in-goal area of Skilled Park was roped off.

It was a no-go zone the groundsmen had declared and last night in front of 12,092 loyal fans and against one of the NRL's most highly-rated teams, the Titans continued to treat it just like that.

In one of the most impressive defensive performances from any team this year, Gold Coast somehow managed to withstand one of the fiercest attacking outfits.

After eight minutes, the Titans had made 45 tackles without touching the ball once. North Queensland had forced four line drop-outs, had 21 play the balls and 16 tackles inside Gold Coast's 20m line.

Four minutes later and the trend was continuing. Titans prop Luke Bailey was on his way to hospital with a rib injury and his team had made 70 tackles while having just one use of the ball.

Put simply, the Johnathan Thurston-led Cowboys should have been well on their way to riding home with two valuable competition points.

For a team that possesses attacking dynamos Matt Bowen, Brent Tate and Ashley Graham, the result should have been a foregone conclusion.

But this isn't the Gold Coast team many have been laughing at for the past 18 months. It looked more like the preliminary finalists of 2010.

Back then the Titans were known as a committed and desperate team.

Their spirit and determination, not an all-star roster, were the qualities that led them to within one win of the grand final.

Last night it looked like that had returned. In droves.

They left nothing on the field in a defensive performance that saw coach John Cartwright shelve his usual poker face for a well-earned smile.

For the first time in a long time Cartwright was able to breath easy in the Skilled Park coaches box as his team snapped a six-match losing streak at the venue and won their first home match this year.

Statistics aren't everything in rugby league but for the Titans to come out on top after what the Cowboys threw at them is something a season can be built on.

The Cowboys had scored the second-most tries (53) in the league, behind Melbourne, before last night but left dejected after crossing just twice in the latter stages.

It wasn't just the Titans' work without the ball that was impressive, their use of the football was first class.

Captain Scott Prince is returning to the form that made him one of the competition's best halfbacks while the rise of rookie five-eighth Aidan Sezer continued.

Jamal Idris brushed off concerns about his weight with a stellar outing while high-profile recruit Beau Champion iced the victory and his best performance of the year with a double. Wingers Kevin Gordon and David Mead were outstanding.

Queensland duo Ashley Harrison and Nate Myles continued their rich veins of form while Blues enforcer Greg Bird rose to levels he has rarely reached before.

Cartwright knows there is a long way to go but after three straight wins he can start to breath easier. The Titans are two points out of the eight and a return to September is within reach.

Hooker Matt Srama was man of the match in another livewire performance.

Julius Sezer
03-06-12, 11:51 AM
Time to win the competition!

Chaos
03-06-12, 08:43 PM
Now that we've enjoyed the Titans winning...what about he Cowboys season?
I honestly thought they were premiership contenders this year...that was until Lui got 12 months suspension from the NRL.

I feel sorry for them...Thurston needs service if he wants to continue at 5/8.
Sheens has moved Benji back to 7 because he was getting poor service from Humble
Maybe Thurston will have to do the same...if he does, I hope the Cowboys do it after the Origin series is over.

hully gully
03-06-12, 09:07 PM
Also bloody funny that our own Hully Gully parked directly in front of me!

Thanks Gavin! I also followed you out, so my car wouldnt get bogged!

It used to be the only place you wouldn't be towed, half hoping crowd numbers will start to improve after the most impressive win i think i've seen from any titan team,and the tow trucks will soon be in use again.... 15,000 next home game.

Supergoose
03-06-12, 10:23 PM
Brilliant game from the Titans. Difference between now and the start of the year they can now put points on the board which they couldn't earlier.
Sezer rookie of the year?

For the titans, no doubt, but I think Konrad Hurrell has it locked up across the NRL.

teke
03-06-12, 10:30 PM
For the titans, no doubt, but I think Konrad Hurrell has it locked up across the NRL.I dont know about that. It's a long way to the end of the season and Reynolds would be ahead at the moment. Steady improvement from Sezer could easily see him in the mix.

Supergoose
03-06-12, 10:45 PM
I guess it will depend on which rookie helps their team deep into the playoffs. It will be interesting to see how the bottom 8 teams fare this season after the McIntyre system got thrown out. If we finish 5-8 will be no different, still have to go through finals undefeated.

Toads
03-06-12, 11:21 PM
I was thinking the same thing. But I dont have an answer on that. Seems strange to me. Especially with all the effort, promotion and that the Cowboys were the ideal opponent.

It'd a bit rough for those many Titans fans who purchased one, expecting them to be worn.

Maybe they will pencil in another game for that.

Ahh ok, so you guys are in the dark about it as well. Like you mentioned, I too hope they eventually get around to wearing them.

patskE
04-06-12, 12:09 AM
reynolds played a few games last year, he might of played to many to get the rookie label

edit
just read up
i think he played 10 last year? n i think if u play more then 3 u cant be rookie next year.
sezer still has a long way to go boys, he was a bit shaky in this game... but its looking good.

teke
04-06-12, 01:11 AM
Hurrell has only played 8 games and many of those have been from the bench. Im pretty sure Reynolds is eligible for Rookie of the year.

Tamwelg
04-06-12, 06:11 AM
Josh Reynolds from Bulldogs is not eligible
Adam Reynolds from Rabbitihs is eligible

Titanic
04-06-12, 08:18 AM
Beat me to it Tam, I thought there was confusion too. A bit early for this thread but I think the way Sezer took that shot from Scott says a lot about his character :clap: