PDA

View Full Version : Round 12 South Sydney Rabbitohs v Canberra Raiders

TITAN PETE
25-05-12, 06:44 AM
FRIDAY

South Sydney Rabbitohs v Canberra Raiders at ANZ Stadium, 7:35pm (local). #NRLSOUCAN

RABBITOHS: Nathan Merritt, Andrew Everingham, Matt King, Dylan Farrell, Justin Hunt, John Sutton, Adam Reynolds, Scott Geddes, Issac Luke, Dave Tyrrell, Eddy Pettybourne, Sam Burgess, Michael Crocker. Interchange (from): Ben Lowe, Luke Burgess, Josh Starling, Jason Clark, Dave Taylor, Greg Inglis, Chris McQueen

RAIDERS: Reece Robinson, Edrick Lee, Jarrod Croker, Joel Thompson, Jack Wighton, Josh McCrone, Sam Williams, David Shillington (c), Travis Waddell, Tom Learoyd-Lahrs, Josh Papalii, Bronson Harrison, Shaun Fensom. Interchange (from): Shaun Berrigan, Joe Picker, Sam Mataora, Dane Tilse, Dimitri Pelo, Mark Nicholls

TITAN PETE
27-05-12, 04:49 AM
Canberra hardman Tom Learoyd-Lahrs admits it wasn't ideal playing South Sydney without Josh Dugan and Blake Ferguson but he believes Raiders coach David Furner had no choice but to stand the stars down from Friday night's game.

The Raiders were steam-rolled 36-18 by Souths at ANZ Stadium with a patched up side that included Reece Robinson at fullback and debutants Edrick Lee and Dimitri Pelo on the wings after Furner made the brave call to dump Dugan and Ferguson for alcohol-related breaches of club policy.

Dugan was stood down for drinking while recovering from a minor stomach injury while Ferguson showed up for training under the influence of alcohol last week.

"I commend the coaching staff for what they did. They've drawn a line in the sand and that's what had to happen," Learoyd-Lahrs told AAP.

"It was a decision that had to be made. I think the blokes that stepped in made a good account of themselves. Dimitri Pelo played fantastic on debut and Edrick Lee did too.

"It wasn't ideal not having them (Ferguson and Dugan) but it's not an excuse for the loss either."

Canberra were carved up by Souths' Queensland Origin stars Dave Taylor and Greg Inglis in the seven tries to four win.

The visitors did well to claw their way back to trail 14-12 at the halftime break after conceding three tries inside the opening 18 minutes.

But mistakes early in the second half cost the Raiders dearly.

"It just felt like the whole time we were defending in that second half. We just didn't respect the ball enough and we were always on the back foot ... we've definitely got it in us to play some good football but you can't expect just to do it for passages and win a game," Learoyd-Lahrs said.

Learoyd-Lahrs, who has four Test caps for Australia and played four Origins for NSW, remains hopeful of a State of Origin recall for game two on June 13.

"I'll never give up hope of getting back there," he said.

"It's harder when we're not winning but I'm happy with my form and feel like I'm doing the absolute best I can for the team every week and that's all I can do."