PDA

View Full Version : Taylor keen on Knights job

Super Cronk
27-01-06, 10:59 AM
Taylor keen to take the next step with the Knights

SMH.com.au

JASON Taylor, last year's Premier League grand final-winning coach with Parramatta, is expected to be a contender for the Newcastle job to be vacated by Michael Hagan at the end of the coming season.

Sources have told the Herald that Taylor is set to apply for the Knights job, which would put him in competition with fellow Eels coaching staff member Peter Sharp, among others.

Hagan will take over from Brian Smith as Parramatta coach on a three-year contract from 2007, leaving both Taylor and Sharp with no immediate prospect of coaching first grade if they remain at the club.

It has already been established that Sharp, who is the assistant to Smith, will be a contender for the Newcastle job.

The Herald reported yesterday that a Knights board meeting on Wednesday night had established criteria to be used in deciding on a coach for 2007.

Newcastle will now seriously consider applications, with a view towards making a decision as soon as possible.

Knights chairman Michael Tyler yesterday outlined the sort of coach they will be looking for.

"We want a good communicator, someone who knows and understands the game all over and who can teach young and old players what they need to know," Tyler said. "Experience we naturally consider important as well, among other things."

Under those circumstances, the fact he is yet to coach first grade could set Taylor back. But Tyler, when asked about the possibility of a young coach such as Taylor being considered, said the club was not ruling anyone out at this stage.

"I guess someone like Jason Taylor wouldn't score heavily on experience, but I don't think you should rule anyone out on paper," he said.

"Sometimes, when you interview someone, you find that while they may not fit one part of a criteria they have a great deal to offer in other areas. So we'll be having a good look at all reasonable applicants."

Taylor was a playmaking halfback who has been on the Eels' coaching staff since he retired at the end of the 2001 season.

His promise as a coach was underlined when the Premier League team he prepared last year thrashed Sydney Roosters 31-12 in the grand final. He will coach the team again this year.

Taylor is well liked by the first-grade Eels players, who rate his knowledge highly.

A group of senior Parramatta players, including captain Nathan Cayless, approached Eels chief executive Denis Fitzgerald in December - after the club had decided Smith would not be there beyond this year but before Hagan was appointed - to push for Taylor as Smith's successor. That push failed, but it didn't do Taylor's reputation any harm.

David Fairleigh, the coach of Newcastle's Premier League team last year, has been mentioned as a possible contender for the first-grade job, but Tyler suggested Fairleigh might need more time.

"Again, we're not ruling anyone out at this stage, and David is very highly regarded at our club, but it may be the case that he needs another two or three years before he is ready to coach first grade," Tyler said.

Tyler said rumours that former Newcastle captain and current board member Paul Harragon might be a contender to coach the team were way off the mark.

"If you were a betting man, I think you could rate 'the Chief' at 10,000 to one, mainly because he is not going to put his hand up," Tyler said.

DeeGan
27-01-06, 11:05 AM
I can't see anyone barring Peter Sharp getting the nod as he has the backing of Andrew Johns which will go along way in the appointment of the next Knights coach.

DeeGan

El Chino Fatman
27-01-06, 11:43 AM
Where is Daniel Anderson coaching these days, he is a coach I would like to see given another shot at first grade somewhere.

DeeGan
27-01-06, 11:46 AM
Where is Daniel Anderson coaching these days, he is a coach I would like to see given another shot at first grade somewhere.

St Helens in the Super League competition.

DeeGan

Dakink
27-01-06, 11:50 AM
Its only a matter of time before JT gets his shot.

El Chino Fatman
27-01-06, 11:51 AM
St Helens in the Super League competition.

DeeGan

Thanks Deegan, I'll have to keep an eye on how they are going.

Dakink
27-01-06, 11:55 AM
Hopefully better than Leeds ;-)