PDA

View Full Version : Tigers fight to stop Prince heading north

DIEHARD
27-09-05, 02:34 AM
By Greg Prichard and Steve Mascord

Wests Tigers will move to extend halfback and captain Scott Prince's contract as a priority after the grand final to ensure new club Gold Coast and maybe even Prince's old club Brisbane don't get a crack at him.

And Graham Murray has been offered the chance to coach North Queensland - the team Wests Tigers will play on Sunday - for as long as he wants.

Tigers chief executive Steve Noyce said last night he was confident the positive culture at the club and its new status as a grand finalist would convince Prince to stay well into the future. But he said forces were often strong in a market governed by the salary cap and the Tigers had to take note of developments at other clubs as they tried to keep their group of outstanding young players together.

Prince is contracted until the end of next year but the Tigers want to do a new deal well ahead of the start of next season, rather than take the risk that he could still be available approaching the June 30 anti-tampering deadline.

Five-eighth Benji Marshall is the Tigers' other main target for a contract extension after the grand final. He is contracted until the end of next season.

Prince says he wants to stay a Tiger but his next contract decision will take a lot of thought for personal reasons, with his fiancee, Kristy, homesick for Queensland.

Michael Searle, managing director of the Gold Coast Titans, makes no secret of the new outfit's interest in Prince should he become available. "If Scott came on the market we would love to talk to him," Searle said yesterday. "But we're obviously not allowed to at this stage."

Prince began his career at North Queensland before being lured to Brisbane in 2001. But after he broke his leg twice at the Broncos his career stalled and Brett Seymour emerged as a young halfback there.

Prince accepted an offer to join the Tigers at the end of 2003 and Brisbane coach Wayne Bennett said this month that Prince leaving was one of his greatest regrets.

There has been no indication from the Broncos that they plan to chase Prince should he become available, but the jury is still out on Seymour, whose form dropped off towards the end of this season. "We're still banking on Brett at this stage," Brisbane chief executive Bruno Cullen said last night. "But if, in the future, we needed a halfback and Scott was available, of course we would look at him."

Noyce said it was only natural that rival clubs would be admiring Prince's form. "I'm confident we'll keep Scott," he said. "But you don't give other clubs a chance, and with the Gold Coast coming in and Brisbane still having a lot of respect for Scott you are mindful of getting things done sooner rather than later."

Departing Cowboys chief executive Denis Keeffe last night said Murray had been asked to name his own terms for an extended contract. "Graham is under contract until the end of next season and we opened talks some time ago about extending that," Keeffe said. "What we have asked him to do is come back to us with what sort of terms he wants.

"The club and the board will then sit down and talk to him. 'Muz' wants to keep coaching here - he just isn't sure for how long. He once told me he couldn't see himself coaching first grade when he was 50. Well, he's 50 now and you can see in his eyes how much he is enjoying himself."

Asked what would happen if Murray wanted a four- or five-year contract, Keeffe said: "I can't speak for the board, but that would be all right with me. But Muz isn't like that, he wants to keep challenging himself."

Keeffe, who will leave the Cowboys after the grand final, said other key staff such as head trainer Billy Johnstone had also been offered extended contracts. "But it all comes down to what Graham wants to do," Keeffe said.

After a coaching career riven by bad luck and politics, Murray appears to have finally found a home at North Queensland but he was keen last night not to let speculation on his own future distract his charges and said a contract extension "hasn't really been spoken about much" of late.

Source: http://www.SMH.com.au

DeeGan
27-09-05, 02:42 AM
I love it! I think we will find Scott Prince will be looking after he and his family first and foremost when signing his next contract. In short, Prince will not sign a thing until he hears ALL offers put on the table after July 1, 2006.

DIEHARD
27-09-05, 04:18 AM
I love it! I think we will find Scott Prince will be looking after he and his family first and foremost when signing his next contract. In short, Prince will not sign a thing until he hears ALL offers put on the table after July 1, 2006.

Every club may love the Titans atm, but let's see what happens when we start trying to sign their players. :D

sirintula
27-09-05, 04:58 AM
We must not expect an immediate impact on the league from the Titans. Melbourne's premiership win in its 2nd year was a freak happening, an anomoly, unlikely to be repeated. It was probably also the worst thing that could happen from a Melbournite perspective, "Oh , that was easy....what's next?". That's okay though, now they are dealing with another AFL non-Melbourne premiership, hey, they can't even get a Melbourne team in the decider.
Coast's Titans biggest obstacle is position. Let's face it, the Gold Coast does not hold a great deal of attraction for most Queenslanders. It may however, give all those northern NSW people a team to cheer for. But how do they remain loyal to the Blues?

Helen
27-09-05, 08:00 AM
We must not expect an immediate impact on the league from the Titans. Melbourne's premiership win in its 2nd year was a freak happening, an anomoly, unlikely to be repeated.

I agree. It takes most teams a few years to find their feet so to speak.

I think having another Queensland based team will eventually give more depth to state of origin. Exciting times lay ahead. :)

Helen

Teegy
27-09-05, 08:28 AM
A Preston Campbell and Scott Prince Combe would be the best we could hope for at this stage. both realativly young but very experianced and talented

GT_Titan
27-09-05, 11:51 AM
I agree, they would be a great combination. Except Preston is not that young, he'll be 29 when he starts with the Titans. Hopefully we can get a few good years out of him. We have to concentrate more on the development of young players in the local areas.

Still, it would be awesome to see Prince sign with the Titans, as he will be only 27 in 2007.

ridgey
27-09-05, 12:03 PM
typical of the Broncos isn't it,i mean i know scotty prince's time at the club was injury plagued but they showed no faith in him and we're quick to brush him out the door after his rehab because of the emergance of brett seymour who is the worst half in the nrl.now under the guidance of tim sheens prince is playin out of his skin and bennett regrets letting him go.

sign with the Titans scotty!

DeeGan
27-09-05, 12:13 PM
typical of the Broncos isn't it,i mean i know scotty prince's time at the club was injury plagued but they showed no faith in him and we're quick to brush him out the door after his rehab because of the emergance of brett seymour who is the worst half in the nrl.now under the guidance of tim sheens prince is playin out of his skin and bennett regrets letting him go.

sign with the Titans scotty!

One of Wayne Bennett's biggest regrets is letting Scott Prince go when he was signed with the Broncos. Prince had a horror run of injuries (twice breaking his leg) which was magnified with the death of his father. Wayne Bennett DID NOT want Prince to go, though he knew it was in the best interest of the player (Prince) to leave the club and head to a fresh start with the Wests Tigers. Prince wanted out, Bennett did not to hold the guy back. This was a mutual release with Prince still in contact with players from the Broncos on a regular basis.

This is typical of Wayne Bennett, putting the best interests of the player ahead of his team. This is why players take pay cuts to play under the guy as coupled with the undeniable rugby league smarts, he is a genuine straight shooter who resembles a fatherly figure to his players.

I am first to admit, the Brisbane Bronco organisation at times get right under my skin with there double standards, though on this occasion the anti-Bronco sentiment is misplaced.

Cheers

DeeGan

[BroncosGirl]
27-09-05, 12:13 PM
Frankly I want Prince to stay with the Tigers, if he signs with GC, that'll be great though too, Im not really sure I see him coming back to Broncos, but hey I would welcome it.

Dakink
27-09-05, 12:19 PM
We must not expect an immediate impact on the league from the Titans. Melbourne's premiership win in its 2nd year was a freak happening, an anomoly, unlikely to be repeated. It was probably also the worst thing that could happen from a Melbournite perspective, "Oh , that was easy....what's next?". That's okay though, now they are dealing with another AFL non-Melbourne premiership, hey, they can't even get a Melbourne team in the decider.
Coast's Titans biggest obstacle is position. Let's face it, the Gold Coast does not hold a great deal of attraction for most Queenslanders. It may however, give all those northern NSW people a team to cheer for. But how do they remain loyal to the Blues?

Quite easily I can assure you - most people down here really dont consider the GC too Queensland - that starts more further up the freeway. There is even a push down here from some people ti have the border moved dowbn to Ballina. You will find people will happily support the Titans yet barrack for NSW. The GC is perfectly placed for this.

ridgey
27-09-05, 12:21 PM
i think M.r B might regret letting alot of his young players go in the next few years,but hey there's alot of 36 year old's sitting around doin nothing!

[BroncosGirl]
27-09-05, 12:24 PM
i think M.r B might regret letting alot of his young players go in the next few years,but hey there's alot of 36 year old's sitting around doin nothing!

Ridgey we have plenty of younger guys who Mr.B can rely on. :D

DeeGan
27-09-05, 12:26 PM
']Ridgey we have plenty of younger guys who Mr.B can rely on. :D

Your right, the Broncos have some of the best youngsters in the game coming through. Hopefully Scotty and the junior academy are able to sell the Titans as a viable alternative for 2007 ;)

DeeGan

ridgey
27-09-05, 12:28 PM

i think you'll find all Queenslanders love the Gold Coast,ya can't take the best city and best beaches in the world and just plonk em in dirty old N.S.W!

The Original Idiot
27-09-05, 04:14 PM
i think you'll find all Queenslanders love the Gold Coast,ya can't take the best city and best beaches in the world and just plonk em in dirty old N.S.W!

The Gold Coast extends into NSW as well. Maybe the beaches aren't as good in Tweed Heads, but your statement is still incorrect.

Teegy
27-09-05, 04:19 PM
Duranbah is a great beach and its in dirty old N.S.W

Teegy
27-09-05, 04:20 PM
The Gold Coast extends into NSW as well. Maybe the beaches aren't as good in Tweed Heads, but your statement is still incorrect.
Gold Coast Stops a the border i think then it become the Tweed Coast. Unsure but might look into that

The Original Idiot
27-09-05, 04:27 PM
The map I have of the Gold Coast explores Tweed City and surrounds, it may have a different name but is the same thing. A road may change its name when going into another suburb, but its still the same road.

Teegy
27-09-05, 04:32 PM
Yer i thought so i have family who live in tweed heads

Shadow XL
27-09-05, 04:33 PM
isn't like the tweed apart of the gold coast in general?

Don't bag me if im wrong *runs and hides*

The Original Idiot
27-09-05, 05:17 PM
^
clarification
is that:
- a part of
or
-apart from

Teegy
27-09-05, 05:45 PM
A part of sounds like to me

Sharks
27-09-05, 06:13 PM
isn't like the tweed apart of the gold coast in general?

Don't bag me if im wrong *runs and hides*

lol im sure all gold coasters feel the same!

ridgey
28-09-05, 12:21 PM
look i think everyone would have to agree that the gold coast is 1 of the best places on the planet whether it's in scumbag N.S.W or not,i think most Queenslanders or Brissy people just take it for granted it's so close to them.

RIDGEY NOW WAITS FOR COCKROACH ONSLAUGHT!!!

Dakink
28-09-05, 12:53 PM
Tweed is sort of considered part of the GC. The Tweed coast is actulally Kingscliff, Cabarita and potsville areas. Tweed Heads itself is a bit of both but an identity to itself.

The Original Idiot
28-09-05, 01:31 PM
Enough about Tweed more about Prince. He is the best Queensland halfback, he would be a fantastic signing.

Dakink
28-09-05, 01:34 PM
Enough about Tweed more about Prince. He is the best Queensland halfback, he would be a fantastic signing.

To true - and he would balance out Campbell well. Though I seem to rememebr someone here saying that he had been signed as a halfback?

The Original Idiot
28-09-05, 01:51 PM
^Preston can play either position well, though I and many others on the forum think he's better at halfback.

Dakink
28-09-05, 02:04 PM
I would agree with you. You dont want to be hiding too many player sin your backline, 1 you can hide but 2 becomes a liability. I would prefer a larger 5\8 and Preston at 7.

tigerman
28-09-05, 06:35 PM
guys just a few quick things firstly congrats on being given the green light for 2007 secondly please please please please please please dont steal our scotty give us a few years of glory we have waited so long to have a club that is playing good footy and we dont want it to be over yet and thirdley i and alot of oter tiger fans think scotty is abetter pivot anyway so u could have preston at half and scotty at pivot if u wished.
so if you just lay off scotty for a couple of years say till the end 2008 we got a couple of young blokes who could replace him then that would be great thanx for the co operation guys
cheers :p

Teegy
28-09-05, 06:38 PM
Will let you get one more year out of him :p

tigerman
28-09-05, 06:45 PM
just remember we have voodoo powers :eek: :eek: :eek: