PDA

View Full Version : Ryan James - Player Discussion

DIEHARD
07-05-12, 09:52 AM
Ryan James - 2012 Player Discussion

DIEHARD
07-05-12, 09:53 AM
Ryan James makes comeback with Tweed

http://www.goldcoast.com.au/images/uploadedfiles/editorial/pictures/2012/05/06/ryan-james-060512.jpg

IT was a comeback that had it all.

Bustling runs, crunching tackles and even a sin-binning. That's how Titans crowd favourite Ryan James marked his long-awaited return from a knee injury.

James came off the bench for Tweed Heads today in its 34-26 Intrust Super Cup win over Easts at Piggabeen.

The home-grown prop was busy in defence and carried the ball well in his first outing in 11 months following a knee reconstruction.

Titans coach John Cartwright watched from the sideline as his young bull went through the motions and the 20-year-old said he was pleased with his performance despite spending 10 minutes in the bin for talking back to the referee.

Have your say on the feedback form below

"I've never been sent off for trying to play the ball before. That's a first," James said with a smirk.

"I'll try get that out of my game. The last thing Carty said to me was 'don't lose your head' so I'm sure he won't be happy with that.

"It was just good to get on the field again and have a little stint.

"I had a couple of good runs and tackles so I was pretty happy.

"I didn't even think about the knee after the first hit-up. I guess that's good. I just want to keep doing the same."

Tweed Heads shot out to an 18-0 lead on the back of a double to Tom Merritt and a four-pointer to Shaun Carney before Easts made it 18-4 just before half-time.

The game looked as good as over when Titans-contracted winger Joe Vickery plucked a Brad Davis bomb shortly before James was sin-binned.

Carney bagged his second for a 28-4 lead before Easts mounted a spirited comeback, scoring four quick tries to make it 28-26.

But Seagulls captain Davis pounced on a loose ball to seal the victory for his team and pass 1000 Queensland Cup points.

"It's nothing you play to achieve but I guess it's a bonus. It probably shows I'm past my best and on the other side of the hill," Davis joked.

"We've been doing some really good things in games. It's such a shame (we let the lead slip).

"We tend to let in points when we've got control of the game. I think it's a mental approach. We've got to find an answer for that."

While Tweed moved to third on the ladder with its fifth win, Burleigh slumped to its sixth-straight loss with a 25-22 result against Central.

The Bears haven't won since round 1 and are sitting last on the ladder.

http://www.goldcoast.com.au

Princey's Titanz
07-05-12, 05:43 PM
Cmon lets throw James into the lineup!

1. P. Graham
2. K. Gordon
3. Champion
4. Zillman
5. Mead
6. Rankin
7. Sezer
8. Bailey
9. Srama
10. Douglas
11. Myles
12. Bird
13. Harrison

14. Lawrence
15. Minichiello
16. B. Thompson
17. Idris
18. R. James

Nick
07-05-12, 08:48 PM
Lets hope the NRL doesnt notice us playing a 5 man bench

Titanic
08-05-12, 12:47 PM
Lets hope the NRL doesnt notice us playing a 5 man bench

Do you think it would help?

Nick
08-05-12, 05:43 PM
Do you think it would help?

No because Hendo would be brought in last minute over James anyway.

GCTitans11
02-09-12, 04:48 PM
Ryan killed it today for Tweed Heads. Like what I saw. He just got in there and tore the game apart. Look forward to seeing him back next year.

DIEHARD
03-09-12, 07:10 AM
Ryan killed it today for Tweed Heads. Like what I saw. He just got in there and tore the game apart. Look forward to seeing him back next year.

Good to hear! He will be back in top form with a full off season under his belt.

Ryan
14-09-12, 05:03 PM
http://resources3.news.com.au/images/2012/09/13/1226473/750635-ryan-james.jpg

:laugh:

TITAN PETE
14-09-12, 06:55 PM
Love it mate !!!

DIEHARD
14-09-12, 08:11 PM
Hahahaha! God bless the Queensland Cup.

Sure he isnt a Queenslander?!

Definitely a Titan. (Close, Taylor)

Toads
11-03-13, 09:59 AM
Even though this is a 2012 thread.

After watching RJ slam a couple of guys into the deck yesterday (Round 1 2013). I hope they have him penciled in for the Broncos match, and someone whispers in his ear to hunt Princey down.. :laugh:

DIEHARD
05-04-15, 02:49 PM
James on the rise for Titans

Gold Coast may be struggling to find NRL wins but that's certainly not the fault of back-rower Ryan James.

The 23-year-old has put an injury-marred 2014 behind him with an encouraging start to this season.

James not only scored his second try in five games in Friday's 26-16 loss to Brisbane at CBUS Super Stadium but he notched a game-high 171 metres from 19 runs.

It's a continuation of the form which has some thinking he could sneak into the frame as a bolter for Laurie Daley's NSW side in this year's State of Origin campaign.

Titans skipper Nate Myles says James has all the potential to be a representative player, although he knows his teammate is sick of people only discussing what he could be.

"Ryan himself is the one that's a little bit over talking about what he can do and he just wants to do it now," Myles said.

"He's on his way.

"He's a big solid fella and definitely can play a few different positions. I only wish the best for him but he'll be on the other side (in Origin) too."

James himself says his personal form means little with the team sitting 1-4 after the loss to the Broncos.

His hard-running achievements with ball in hand aren't fooling him that there are elements of his game which can improve as well.

"Losing's never satisfying. We can always be better so there's definitely a couple parts of my game I can work on in defence," James told AAP.

"Kane Elgey saved me a couple of times in defence which is a little bit different, a halfback saving a second-rower but we just need to learn how to build pressure.

"I'll be a lot happier when the team starts winning.

"We're not far off being three from five. We lost two really tight ones at home and I just hope we can win some playing good footy at home."

https://nz.sports.yahoo.com/league/

TITAN PETE
12-04-15, 06:36 AM
NEWS
James looks to shake 'most-penalised' tag

James looks to shake 'most-penalised' tag
By Chris Kennedy, National Correspondent
Sun, Apr 12, 2015 - 06:57AM

Gold Coast forward Ryan James says he's yet to produce his best footy in 2015 and is desperate to shake off the stat of the NRL's most-penalised player.

James had conceded 11 penalties in five games heading into Round 5 – four clear of the second-most penalised player, Rabbitoh Ben Lowe – before feeling the referee's wrath a further three times in this side's big win at Pirtek Stadium on Saturday.

"I'm still a long way from my best," James told NRL.com after the game.

"I'm still getting used to the position [of second row], I just need to tuck the ball under and run hard. I got a couple of offloads today but it's just the penalties [that are a problem], I need to start working on those.

"I'm the most penalised player in the game. It's not a good stat to have next to your name. Two [in the Eels game] were unfortunate ones where they were near the ground and just tucked the arm out [to concede a ruck penalty] and another one was offside.

"There's not much you can do about those ones so I just have to work on my game."

James said the shift to second row, where he's started every game this year despite never having started there in his previous 47 games (most of which were off the bench with the rest in the front row and one at lock) requires a significant change to his game.

"Second row's a lot different to front row – you sort of have to add a jumping game and a kick chase game and all those other little effort things like staying square on halves. It is a different ball game out there and I just have to work on those things.

"I feel pretty good out there, it is a lot easier on the body, you're not always running at massive blokes and you feel like you get in more space and it's easier to get a quick play the ball so I just have to work on those things and getting a combination with my half Kane Elgey, who played excellent today."

James's name is one that tends to come up in Origin conversations when he is fit but the three-time Indigenous All Star said while it is a goal to get his Country Origin jersey back (he played one game for Country in 2013) it was more important to help the Titans add to their two wins so far this year.

"It is a goal but my main goal's just trying to get wins for the Titans. It will be better for the Titans and the club if we can start winning – we're lacking sponsors and we need to start winning so we can get sponsors on board. The more we win the more we get together as a team and play better as a team.

"It is good to finally get a good win. We've been playing pretty well over the last five weeks. It's good to get a runaway win and the boys played well, stuck to the game plan."

DIEHARD
04-02-19, 03:19 PM
Wigan approach made James believe he could 'do anything'
https://www.nrl.com/

Titans captain Ryan James has credited two attempts by Wigan to sign him as a teenager for instilling the belief he could "do anything" and make it in the NRL.

Wigan's legendary developer of young talent Brian Foley, whose systems produced a cavalcade of Warriors greats, was working as the club's youth development manager when he identified James's talents in 2006.

James was touring England with an all-conquering under 15s junior side from the Northern Rivers when he trained at Wigan's facilities and played a game in front of Foley.

"I met Brian Foley when I was there and he asked if I was keen to play at Wigan," James told NRL.com.

"I'd grown up being coached by my dad through juniors and when someone like Brian asks you to play overseas it makes you realise you must be doing something half right.

"It gave me the belief that I could do anything. I was just 15 and you never think at that age that you can really play footy as a job, even though it is something you want to do.

"I was away from family and didn't know what to think of it at the time. I thought 'is this real? Can I really pursue something in England?'"

James soon found out how serious the offer was when Foley was in Australia the following year with a touring England side and approached him again.

"I spoke to Ryan and I said 'if you are not going to be signed here I'll give you an opportunity in England'," Foley told NRL.com.

"He wasn't signed with the Titans then. I liked his athletic ability, his inner mental strength and I thought he was a tough competitor. He was a player who I thought you could develop."

James remembers the approach in 2007 well because his brother Tim had earlier been signed by the Gold Coast franchise and his own contract with the Melbourne Storm was coming to a close.

"I was playing in a trial on the Gold Coast and Brian said he was still keen to get me over there to Wigan. He even went and saw my mum because I wasn't wrapped up," James recalled.

"My brother was signed before the Titans were even [called] the Titans.

"When I was a kid, before there was the Titans, it was either going to be the Roosters or the Storm. I ended up choosing the Storm.

"It wasn't long after [Foley's visit] that Carty [John Cartwright] and Satts [Scott Sattler] came to our house and signed me up with the Titans."

James was blissfully unaware that behind the scenes Foley had approached the Titans and said if they didn't sign him, Wigan would.

Foley has since retired and is living in Australia to support his nephew Herbie Farnworth who is a talented outside back signed to the Brisbane Broncos.

"I am just really proud of the way Ryan has since developed as a player and a person," Foley said.

As for James, he's never forgotten the approach by the Wigan guru.

"I've kept in touch with Brian ever since those days and it is always good to catch up because it is something you always think about," he said.

Now the Gold Coast captain, James has rebuffed options to join other clubs for the last decade.

He met Ricky Stuart when he visited the Roosters as a youth, and there was interest from Canberra before he signed his last deal through until the end of 2020. The Broncos were also right in the frame.

"To be honest the Titans were always front-runners because I owe them everything. I owe them more than they owe me," James said.

"They didn't have to give me a contract. They signed me for three years when I was younger and then I did my ACL at the start of the season but they never once looked at getting rid of me. They've always been happy to keep me right from the start."

DIEHARD
16-03-19, 12:53 PM
James has Watt it takes as a leader

http://www.gcbulletin.com.au

GOLD Coast NRL chairman Dennis Watt has hailed Titans skipper Ryan James as the kind of leader that rugby league needs more of.

It has been a tumultuous time for the 13-a-side code filled with one off-field scandal after the other but in James, the Titans have an outstanding third-year captain.

“He is a role model,” Watt said. “He has got a strong voice and leads by his actions.

“He is quite inspirational in the way he has worked on his personal development – a young indigenous man who completed his first degree and I think he is doing a second one now. He has an extraordinary passion and heart for his community and of course he took his inspiration from Preston Campbell, who he sees very much as a mentor.

“Ryan continually puts himself out to assist the community, a lot of it under the radar. He is the sort of person that you want to hold up in the game of rugby league as a leader of real quality. He genuinely cares about others.”

James will lead the Titans out on to Cbus Super Stadium tomorrow for the Round 1 clash against Canberra.