PDA

View Full Version : Presto out of retirement

shamus
14-04-12, 10:56 PM
Anyone going to watch?

THE last time rugby league legend Preston Campbell felt this degree of stomach-churning nervousness, he was about to play an NRL grand final.

That was more than eight years ago.

Tomorrow, just over eight months after his NRL retirement, Campbell will run out with the Southport Tigers reserves in the Bycroft Cup.

And he is as nervous as hell.

The diminutive playmaker has such a genuine respect for the game that a match most would write off as a simple kick-in-the-park game has him as worried as he was before he ran out with Penrith for their 2003 NRL premiership win.

''I got nervous every week, but this is really, really nervous,'' Campbell said.

''Probably 2003, the night of our premiership. I was nervous that night, but it's pretty close to that to be honest.

''It's hard to believe because I've played over 10 years but I don't think that matters."

It's a sign of the respect Campbell -- a genuine NRL legend - is paying the Tigers and the Gold Coast competition.

''When I signed here, I said I didn't want to be treated any different,'' he said.

''They know that. They know I'm fair dinkum about putting my best in for the club.

"But you have to pay it respect whether it's this competition, or NRL, or a competition lower than this.

"If you don't pay respect, you don't have the right attitude really."

After a few months resting on the couch during his time off from his role visiting indigenous communities with the Titans 4 Tomorrow program, Campbell said he was itching to play again.

''I think that itch, I couldn't scratch it enough,'' he said of the decision to play again.

''I've been coming to training for the past three or four weeks, so I just felt intrigued to put the boots back on and see how I go.''

A long-term connection with the Shaw family and the Southport club led to Campbell signing with the Tigers to play the level of rugby league he loves the most.

''Even when I was playing professionally, the best football I liked to watch was the local stuff, so to be a part of it (is exciting),'' he said.

''I was 19, I think, when I played A grade back home (in Tingha). To get back into it, I'm very excited, very nervous but looking forward to the opportunity.

''And I think it's a good chance for me to enjoy it.

''Even thought it's competitive, we're not playing for sheep stations.

''Just the fact that I'll be able to come back and enjoy the game that I started to play, that for me, played a big part in coming back and playing.''

Campbell will play reserve grade tomorrow but is sure to advance (obviously that depends on performance) to A grade as the season progresses.

And he is in no hurry to again hang up the boots.

"My youngest bloke, he's six now and he didn't really know much about (me playing) rugby league.

''If I can get a year or two, or even longer, playing locally, he may be able to remember what I did.''

And for that, we should all be thankful.

http://www.goldcoast.com.au/article/2012/04/14/407705_gold-coast-titans.html

P.S.

The Tigers meet the Burleigh Bears in a grand final rematch on Sunday with reserve grade kicking off at Southport’s Owen Park at 1:30pm and will be followed by first grade at 3pm.

shamus
15-04-12, 05:06 PM
Southport Reserves won 36-12..I didn't get out there so I am unsure how Preston went and if he was a little rusty at all.

It would be nice to know he can still contribute...

Titanic
15-04-12, 05:39 PM
Go mate ... enjoy every minute of it.

Chaos
15-04-12, 06:13 PM
Good on ya Presto!

Some guys are glad to retire because they are sick of getting their bodies bashed and sick of the training.

Some guys retire and live the rest of their lives in the past...telling the world how good they were. (some can't help it because of injury)

Some guys retire and live with an itch deep down but wont risk an injury or their old reputation.

Some guy just purely play for the fun of the game and try and play on, as long as their bodies can handle it. (like Presto)

Rage
15-04-12, 07:39 PM
Presto is one of those players that I wish wouldn't age and could play for us forever. Awesome to see he has true passion for the game and not just in it for the money.