PDA

View Full Version : Titans: Sam Stosur, possible Titans fan?

DeeGan
24-01-06, 12:22 PM
Titans: Sam Stosur, possible Titans marquee fan?

http://foxsports.news.com.au/common/imagedata/0,5001,5100621,00.jpg
Australia's number one female
tennis player: possible marquee
fan for the Gold Coast Titans?

Well we as a club IMO should be on the look out for 'that marquee fan' that most (if not all) NRL clubs have. Souths have Russ and Denton, Cronulla have Kathy Freeman, Elle McPherson and Thorpey gets there quite a bit. Brisbane have Pat Rafter, Grant Hackett and Ian Healy. Canterbury have the Waugh brothers.

Sam Stosur showed her fighting qualities in this years Australian open and would be an ideal 'marquee fan' for the Titans. All press releases are full of praise for this clean cut Gold Coast girl.

Thoughts?

DeeGan

Social Loafer
24-01-06, 12:26 PM
is Amy Stosur related to Sam ? :D

Queenslander
24-01-06, 12:28 PM
How about Wally Lewis, he may be a brisbane boy but he did do the Gold Coast proud when he was playing for them. Plus it may add to the Brisbane and Gold Coast rivarly :naughty:

Dakink
24-01-06, 12:32 PM
How about Wally Lewis, he may be a brisbane boy but he did do the Gold Coast proud when he was playing for them. Plus it may add to the Brisbane and Gold Coast rivarly :naughty:

Hell no - you want fans south of the border dont you ??? LOL

Queenslander
24-01-06, 12:36 PM
Hell no - you want fans south of the border dont you ??? LOL

LOL Well the Gold Coast is a Queensland team then who better than the King to be the no. 1 Titan. Its just a shame that you live in NSW :p But yeah there are many NSW Titan fans out there and if you cant handle Wally then you need to let it go :laugh:

Dakink
24-01-06, 12:39 PM
In the old classic

"Wally's a wa%^&r"

Queenslander
24-01-06, 12:40 PM
In the old classic

"Wally's a wa%^&r"

But seriously if Wally was named the No. 1 Fan of the Titans....would you stop supporting the Titans? ;)

DIEHARD
24-01-06, 12:42 PM
Wally is a legend!

Queenslander
24-01-06, 12:43 PM
Wally is a legend!

Amen to that....Wally was also the Captain/Coach of the Gold Coast Seagulls once upon a time....am i right? Wally should be no1 fan of the titans!!!

DeeGan
24-01-06, 12:55 PM
is Amy Stosur related to Sam ? :D

Fixed the heading :laugh:

Wally Lewis will come in to contention and I could think of no former player that would better fit the billing given his standing in the game.

Sam Stosur though is a QLD girl and in the interests of public relations, a female marquee fan is a good idea for the Titans as well. Manly have got on to a winner with Wendy Harmer, Mrs Murdoch and co. who have formed a female fan club (a Manly fan may want to expand here), we could have something similar WITH a guy like Wally Lewis as the number one fan.

DeeGan

DeeGan
24-01-06, 12:55 PM
Amen to that....Wally was also the Captain/Coach of the Gold Coast Seagulls once upon a time....am i right? Wally should be no1 fan of the titans!!!

Yes, Wally was captain coach once upon a time :)

DeeGan

Dakink
24-01-06, 02:16 PM
But seriously if Wally was named the No. 1 Fan of the Titans....would you stop supporting the Titans? ;)

Hell no - though being a Blue you have to hate Wally - I seriously didnt mind him too much... step above Michael Han**** anyways ;-)

Wally would be a great choice though he never was a real success in GC colours.

Queenslander
24-01-06, 02:52 PM

Wally Lewis will come in to contention and I could think of no former player that would better fit the billing given his standing in the game.

Sam Stosur though is a QLD girl and in the interests of public relations, a female marquee fan is a good idea for the Titans as well. Manly have got on to a winner with Wendy Harmer, Mrs Murdoch and co. who have formed a female fan club (a Manly fan may want to expand here), we could have something similar WITH a guy like Wally Lewis as the number one fan.

DeeGan

With recent scandals involving Rugby League and females, I think its essential to have a female figurehead fan. Sam Stosur would be great idea for the club :clap: Both Wally Lewis and Sam Stosur would make a great "Titan" couple ;)

Titanium_BD1103
24-01-06, 04:59 PM
Deegan.. as a person working in Public Relations I reckon this is a very, very smart idea.. :D :D

I know RSD would agree that in order to create success with anything.. you need to target as many target markets as possible.. and this is a great way to do it.

Sam Stosur as a patron of this club would bring with her the ideals that she represents and that she believes she can see those ideals in the Titans too.

At the moment Sam is known as a fighter, a true talent and all round nice girl who is the epitomy of what fans want to see in Australian sport... if she joins the Titans then she is saying to an extent.. well from a PR persons view anyway, that she is supporting a team that is like her, a team of fighters, who is talented and who is there for the fans.. and that would be an amazing stepping stone to have.. ;)

As for Wally Lewis.. another good choice.. sure he is a Queenslander.. but putting rivalries aside I reckon he has a great recognition in Queensland and therefore would be perfect to promote something like the GC Titans.. :D :D

The Original Idiot
24-01-06, 05:00 PM
So why do I still see Amy Stosur?

I am a NSW fan and have nothing but admiration for Wally- sure he's Cane Toad but what a player!

Eel 33
24-01-06, 07:09 PM
Other ideas, Grant Hackett is a coastie. Someone can correct me if im wrong, Loretta Harropp the triathlete. Karla Gilbert maybe.

anti
24-01-06, 07:35 PM
With recent scandals involving Rugby League and females, I think its essential to have a female figurehead fan. ;)

How about Pauline Hanson :whatd:

Eel 33
24-01-06, 07:42 PM
Nice one anti. :D

kioli
06-12-06, 09:05 PM
I agree Grant Hackett would be a good choice. Internationally renowned, multiple world record breaker, very good public image, etc.

Whoever it is I'm sure will be fine, the GCT management have shown they know what's what over the last few years.

Throb
10-12-06, 09:16 PM
As far as I am aware, Sam Stosur does not really follow league. If you asked her, she would not know who the Titans are (playerwise)

She follows AFL more...

Titan_Matchu
10-12-06, 11:15 PM
Not sure if anyone is aware of this but Sam Stosur is currently the co-ranked number 1 doubles player in the world.

that would be very good if we could get a fan that is at the top of her sport at that moment, although my vote for number 1 ticket holder is still Grant Hackett.

kioli
11-12-06, 10:35 AM
Not sure if anyone is aware of this but Sam Stosur is currently the co-ranked number 1 doubles player in the world.

that would be very good if we could get a fan that is at the top of her sport at that moment, although my vote for number 1 ticket holder is still Grant Hackett.

Grant hasn't lost a 1500m race for almost a decade or something ridiculous. He's also on track to be the first guy to win three consecutive olympic gold medals in the same swimming event.

Roger
11-12-06, 01:13 PM
Grant Hackett definetly as he is a world class athlete with an excellent reputation and a local gold coaster who would be around most of the season so could be seen at games.

Steve
11-12-06, 02:42 PM
Never heard of her. :D

I think though, the big name fans will become known over time. The celebrities who support other teams do so because they love the game and most likely grew up supporting that team. Not brought on board for marketing purposes.

Give it time, they'll be out there and they'll become known.

Throb
11-12-06, 03:03 PM
Sam is overseas most of the year, and now operates mostly from Tampa, Florida