PDA

View Full Version : Titans: Outside of Prince, what halfbacks are available for 2007?

DeeGan
24-01-06, 11:25 AM
Titans: Outside of Prince, what halfbacks are available for 2007?

With halfback a key position for us in 2007, let's turn our attention to the halfbacks coming off contract for the 2007 season and discuss the player.

The hit list thus far is:

Scott Prince (Wests Tigers)

Who else is available for the Gold Coast Titans?

All replies are appreciated :)

DeeGan

Super Cronk
24-01-06, 11:30 AM
IIRC cooper cronk is off contract at the end of 2006.

I think head and finch are also off contract.

wheather or not the titans would be intrested in them, i dunno.

DeeGan
24-01-06, 11:38 AM
Thanks cronk ;)

Matt Head has all the talent in the world and ANY club pre-injury would of been jumping at the chance to sign him, Titans included. Though I think it will be a matter of "lets jsut see how he returns from the knee injury in 2006" before any such move is made. On his day though, Matt Head can dominate a game (even with Barrett outside him) with a passing and kicking game that puts him in the top ecehlon of halves in the competition.

Brett Finch? Well what he does have going for him is the fact he would be on good terms with Carty when he was assistant coach at the Roosters. Finch was in really good form in 2004 though took a step backward in 2005 with the loss of Fittler. If Finch has a good five-eight outside him who can create plays (Daley, Fittler and now Anasta in 2006) he is an effective half as he is not burdened with the role of sole playmaker which hampers his game. Preston Campbell commands attention from the opposition and would provide a good foil for Finch.

IF Scott Prince is signed by the Tigers, both players will come in to consideration.

DeeGan

Dakink
24-01-06, 12:34 PM
If Barrett does go there is no way Head will be heading (no pun intended) anywhere - the Dragons want wont to lose 2 of their creative players at once.

DIEHARD
24-01-06, 12:45 PM
Yea Illawarra would be mad to let both Head and Barrett go.

Please no Finch! Come on Princey!

Lennox Titan
24-01-06, 04:15 PM
Thanks cronk ;)

Brett Finch? Well what he does have going for him is the fact he would be on good terms with Carty when he was assistant coach at the Roosters. Finch was in really good form in 2004 though took a step backward in 2005 with the loss of Fittler. If Finch has a good five-eight outside him who can create plays he is an effective half as he is not burdened with the role of sole playmaker
DeeGan

You are the first person ive seen on a forum to actually give him a wrap. There seems to be plenty of Finch hating bandwagons lately.

In form he's an elite player. He should have won the Dally M in 2004 but I think he ran second. Why do people bag the guy all the time? because of his on field at behaviour? there are plenty worse. He is a whinger on the field no doubt but i think thats from his competitive nature, which is what you want in a player. So many players these days walk off with a smile on thier face win or lose because they dont care.

Titanium_BD1103
24-01-06, 04:53 PM
It isn't so much that we bag him Lennox Titan.. it is more the fact that he has done nothing for the Roosters.. he hasn't been able to achieve the result that the side needed and I can tell you if he doesn't pull up his socks in 2006, Soward will be the half back and Finch will spend the year playing PL.. :D :D

I don't think Head will be leaving the Dragons if Barrett leaves... and I don't want Finch.. not because I don't like him.. he just hasn't proven anything recently and I am worried it will equal a very boring and lacklustre attack.. the type the Roosters had in 2005.. :(.. don't mind it at the chooks, but not at the Titans.. ;)

I reckon we make Preston Halfback if we don't get Prince.. and we look for a 5/8th and there are few of those coming off contract for next season.. I will post up as I find them.. :)

The Original Idiot
24-01-06, 05:08 PM
Brenton McConnell is a good backup. He's 4th or 5th choice half for NQ, and he used to play for Burleigh. If we can't get cronk I say make Presto halfback. He plays better there IMO.

edit: Sweet 500!

Luke
24-01-06, 05:39 PM
I think Nathan Fien comes off contract.

DIEHARD
24-01-06, 06:06 PM
I think Nathan Fien comes off contract.

There is a good option.

Eel 33
24-01-06, 07:03 PM
He is a whinger on the field no doubt but i think thats from his competitive nature, which is what you want in a player.

He has always been a whinger, it's been fine tuned by the best in the business, Coach Ricky Stuart. The Roosters are going to have the best pair of whinging halves in the comp hands down with Anasta arriving. The Titans wouldn't want to come into the comp with a pair of whinging halves. Campbell opens his mouth when he has to, not every time a decision goes against his team in the first 5 mins of a game. Find someone who will compliment Preston and form a dynamic combination together. Nathan Fein would be a start, he would then come back into SOO contention.

stormside
26-01-06, 08:39 AM
What I like about the Titans setup is the largely untapped junior areas of Gold Coast and Northern Rivers. When the better juniors from these areas get the sort of expertise the Titans can offer im thinking there will be many that come through in the first few seasons and beyond to really put pressure on the established names you are all mentioning.

captaincharger
29-01-06, 10:48 PM
The Tigers were leaving for England on Sunday to prepare for the World Club Challenge against Bradford with the future of their Test halfback Scott Prince at the joint venture club still clouded.

The Tigers are yet to grant Prince permission to negotiate with other NRL clubs but Sheens said the issue would be resolved before the season started.

"We've come to terms between management that it'll be sorted out before a ball's kicked off so one way or another we'll know where we're headed," he said.

"There's a limited number of clubs that he feels he would be interested in.

"It's not an open market situation and we have put a deadline on it so that we can sit down and finalise something before the end of the season.

"We're not going to let it drag on."

Prince is rumoured to be interested in joining new franchise the Gold Coast Titans when his Wests contract finishes at the end of the 2006 season.

? 2006 AAP

Hopefully the tigers will grant permission for Prince to negotiate with Gold Coast only as it looks to me that it is down to either tigers or titans what do u guys reckon?

Nearly forgot... they showed Wes Patten on the chanel 9 news in sydney tonight argueing with Russell Crowe about a refs call at the sevens perhaps he could still slip into a no.7 jersey if he is available :D :box: :D

DeeGan
30-01-06, 12:13 AM
Little Wes Patten - theres a flashback from the past and I did see the footage from the sevens tournament today :laugh:

I think we as a club are in with a huge chance of signing Prince IF he cannot agree to terms before hand with the Tigers.

DeeGan

DIEHARD
01-02-06, 03:04 AM
I wouldnn't mind seeing the plucky Nathan Fien in Titans colours.

wombat68
01-02-06, 08:55 PM
you can definately throw Micheal Monoghan into the mix as well.He had the Eagles flying last year until he found out management had well and truelly screwed him, by signing Orford.He won't need much of a nudge to make the move north.He'd go great with presto outside him.

mb63
01-02-06, 09:39 PM
Being a regular commuter between Melb & Gold Coast I have seen Cooper Cronk & believe he would be an excellent no7 for the Titans.The problem the Storm have is they don't want to re-sign him until he has performed well as Orford's replacement but they are aware of the Titans interest should Prince stay at the Tigers or go elsewhere.From the 1st time I saw this kid play I was impressed & I reckon he should be the no 2 target after Prince.

Friend
02-02-06, 04:27 PM
I think Matthew Head might head to the titans if the dragon drop his due to cap problems.

DeeGan
03-02-06, 05:50 PM
Here is a name to consider if we miss out on Scott Prince: South Sydney Rabbitoh Joe Williams who was awesome in 2004 though took a back seat to the younger Moran in 2005.

Williams has a very good passing and kicking game, the only thing with Williams is he can go missing in games and lacks confidence when running the ball.

Thoughts?

DIEHARD
03-02-06, 05:56 PM
I really rated Joe Williams and still do. He had an awesome combination with Sutton. But he was stuck in reserve grade last year, behind Moran and then Walker. He really didn't back up his 2004 performance.

I hope we see more of him this year.