PDA

View Full Version : Names on players jerseys

DIEHARD
13-03-12, 07:51 PM
In Touch: It's all in the name

I?d recognise Petero Civoniceva in any jersey, with any number, from behind, in a crowd, during a rainstorm, at dusk ... you get the picture.

Even at high speed Billy 'The Kid' Slater can?t be confused with anyone else. David Williams? excruciatingly bushy beard helps a lot. It?s not difficult when he is the lone Wolfman in the game. And I?ve been cheering on Anthony Minichiello for so long I forget he?s not in my family and wonder why he never turns up for Christmas lunch.

However, as memorable as many of them are, there are 288 first grade players in eight-game NRL rounds (including subs), and more than 400 players in the combined squads. How is a fan supposed to know who they all are?

This week as I sat in the stands watching the Chooks go down in unspectacular fashion to the pink Panthers, I was armed with a copy of Big League magazine, checking numbers against the team lists. Oh hello Etu Uaisele, good catch, too bad it was a forward pass.

Cameron Ciraldo, could you get any taller? Sandor Earl, weren?t you an underwear model? I got so lost in the names that when the ground announcer welcomed Isuzu Utes to the Roosters Club I thought we had a new player (a relation to Israel Folau?).

Please. Someone. Put their names on their jerseys. The numbers can be there too. And there is plenty of room for sponsor names. Have you see how big these blokes are? Even the little ones only look small next to the humungous ones.

Wait outside the sheds and you?ll get a whole new perspective on the genetic freaks of rugby league. Except for Matt Utai, who doesn?t need to be close to Jamal Idris to look 168 centimetres tall. He can play all right, but he?s almost the right height to do the weather on a morning show.

Yes, NRL teams need all the sponsorship money we can muster. But with players names blazoned across their backs, we?re more likely to consciously seek them out and look at the sponsor names below.

And there?s always the marketing value. Can you imagine how many Slater, Marshall, Hindmarsh, Merritt, and Barba jerseys we?d see walking the streets? If we even generated .01 per cent of the money soccer has made from Beckham 23 jerseys over the years, we?d be set for life. Becks' jersey money would be enough to buy the NRL two or three times over.

Jersey names would not just help the fans; they?d also help the sport. Many casual observers and reluctant sport-watching partners would be more involved and more informed about the games. Put a name to a face, and link it to an incredible try, tackle, or kick, and you?ve added a new dimension to that player?s next round for thousands of fans. Everybody wins.

If you don?t believe me, take it from the NBL, the NFL, the English Premier League, Major League Baseball, the National Hockey League (that?s ice, not field), and too many more to mention. The largest, richest, most popular sporting organisations in the world have player names on their jerseys. Yes, we support the greatest game in the world but do we really know more about marketing than those financial behemoths?

And just while we?re talking uniform changes, please can we make those trashy cheerleader boots history? Cheerleaders love their footy and are passionate about getting behind the players and encouraging fans. They are made of stern stuff, sitting in freezing wind and rain in tiny outfits. Let?s get them out of the '80s streetwalker-style boots, and into some cute high-top sneakers.

Source http://www.nrl.com

DIEHARD
13-03-12, 08:03 PM
This absolutely MUST happen. If we want to bring in casual fans, get kids to have favourite players, get people to get the most out of viewing the game and being at the game, we gotta do this!

DIEHARD
13-03-12, 08:04 PM
Although I certainly dont advocate bringing back the old dodgy Super League Australia. CHOOSE ANY NUMBER system, which was rubbish.

TITAN PETE
14-03-12, 01:23 PM
Although I certainly dont advocate bringing back the old dodgy Super League Australia. CHOOSE ANY NUMBER system, which was rubbish.

+1 , we have numbers for a reason keep it that way :mad:

Boofhead
14-03-12, 01:50 PM
Don't mind the idea of names on jerseys. Works well in the EPL.

Choose your number system however is a farce and shouldn't even be considered.

Rage
14-03-12, 06:54 PM
YES!! This is a great idea and one that I've been wondering why hasn't been implemented yet. A great idea and hope it comes to fruition.

Leeroy
14-03-12, 08:28 PM
It works in well in EPL NBL NFL NBA because they have their own number. NRL have 1 - 17 so each week different players could be handed any number. Example - Dom had 4 on last week this week he will have 5 and Champs will wear 4.

Steelers
15-03-12, 02:12 AM
It works in well in EPL NBL NFL NBA because they have their own number. NRL have 1 - 17 so each week different players could be handed any number. Example - Dom had 4 on last week this week he will have 5 and Champs will wear 4.

But most of the marquee players have the same number throughout their careers. Benji has a 6 and will do until he retires. Slater wears the 1. Corey Parker is a 13.

TITAN PETE
15-03-12, 09:46 AM
But most of the marquee players have the same number throughout their careers. Benji has a 6 and will do until he retires. Slater wears the 1. Corey Parker is a 13.

I find it very hard to believe your put Parker in the same sentence as Slater & Marshall :laugh:

Steelers
15-03-12, 10:45 PM
I find it very hard to believe your put Parker in the same sentence as Slater & Marshall :laugh:

Broncos fans love their Corey Parker :laugh: