PDA

View Full Version : Zillman tipped as future captain

DIEHARD
06-03-12, 03:15 PM
Zillman tipped as future captain

TITANS captain-in-waiting William Zillman has revealed the faith shown in him by the Gold Coast made pledging his future to the club an easy decision.

While many NRL players and managers have put contract talks on hold until a new broadcast deal sheds light on possible salary cap increases, Zillman paid tribute to the Titans for negotiating a five-year contract extension before the start of the season, allowing him to concentrate on helping the Coast out of the league cellar.

The deal keeps the 25-year-old at the club until the end of the 2017 season in a move that has thrilled the Titans.

Club sources last night said Zillman was the leading candidate to replace Scott Prince as captain when he chooses to retire.

"He's a guy I see as a future leader of the club and he's a guy you don't want coming off contract," coach John Cartwright said. "He's pretty much here for life."

Zillman said he was "over the moon" to stay on the Coast.

"At first I was pretty surprised with the faith they were willing to show in me," he said.

"It is a long contract but it's a bit of security, and apart from that, it was really an easy decision for me.

"I love the Gold Coast and I love playing for the Titans, so to be able to be here for another five years was an easy decision.

"Once I heard what the Titans were willing to do for me, it was a bit of a no-brainer. We didn't need to look too far before I signed the papers."

While Cartwright said the captaincy had not been discussed, Zillman, a member of the Canberra Raiders' leadership group as a teenager, is Prince's heir apparent.

"The players themselves will probably pick the captain but he's definitely a future leader of the club," Cartwright said.

It's certainly a role Zillman would cherish.

"I'd love to be a leader at this club," he said. "I'll be pushing 31 by the time this contract is up, so I think if I wasn't some sort of leader I'd be struggling a bit.

"I'd love to be a leader at the Titans whether it's with a 'C' on my back or not, it's a great club to be a part of and I'm looking forward to a really bright future here."

Zillman said the ability to seal the deal before negotiations became a distraction had been a bonus.

"One thing that Searley (chief executive Michael Searle) did really well by me was to get it all over before the season started," Zillman said.

"That was something I really appreciated and it certainly helps me get on with my football.

"It's not the best when (speculation starts) it can disrupt you a little bit. But everything was handled so well, so cleanly and it just happened quite quickly.

"From my point of view, I was really happy that they showed that faith in me and I was more than happy to sign."

http://www.goldcoast.com.au