PDA

View Full Version : WCC: Bulls ready for Tigers

DeeGan
23-01-06, 10:17 AM
Bulls ready for Tigers
From correspondents in Huddersfield
January 23, 2006

Huddersfield 10 Bradford 28

SUPER League champion Bradford Bulls has completed an impressive warm-up for next week's world club challenge with Wests Tigers.

The Bulls, who return to the Galpharm Stadium for their meeting with the NRL premier on Friday week, were led superbly by new captain Iestyn Harris in their first major pre-season clash.

Even without rested trio Paul Deacon, Lesley Vainikolo and new signing Stanley Gene, the champion was too strong for a generally disappointing Giants team, for whichm ex-Bradford favourite Robbie Paul made a quiet debut.

Former Melbourne winger Marcus Bai marked his first appearance for the Bulls with a try but the star performer, with a try in each half, was New Zealand Test centre Shontayne Hape, who picked up from where he left in November's Tri-Nations triumph.

Bradford had the game sewn up at half time when it led 22-0 thanks to tries from Bai, Hape, hooker Ian Henderson and substitute Brett Ferres, with Harris kicking four conversions.

Huddersfield, which also had Albert Torrens, Martin Aspinwall, Stephen Wilde, Steve Snitch and Matt Gardner making their first appearances, suffered from a chronic shortage of ideas near the visitor's line.

Centre Chris Nero touched down following a neat kick from Paul 14 minutes into the second half to enable his side avoid being whitewashed, but the Bulls increased their lead when the forceful Hape crossed at the corner for his second try and Harris landed a fourth goal.

The home side at least had the final say when Torrens, who was the pick of the new signings, followed up a kick from England international Chris Thorman to score his side's second try.

Press Association

The Tigers have a massive task ahead of them given they are playing a Bradford side who will only be one week out from the start of their competition. With Bradford showing impressive trials form, the odds are heavily stacked against the young Tigers.

I will be supporting the Tigers though my late 2005 confidence in them is dwindling I must admit :)

DeeGan

Eel 33
23-01-06, 10:28 AM
Whether we support the Tigers in the NRL or not, we should all get behind them and hope they bring home the title that so many before them have been unable to do.

Dakink
23-01-06, 11:26 AM
The tigers will get flogged. The timing is set against any Aus team purely as the Gb teams are already in serious game mood whilst the Aus teams are havent even played a trial yet. Having said that I dont necessarily think that is a bad idea - there is more interest in the concept in GB and they need it more to promote their game.

DIEHARD
23-01-06, 11:28 AM
Bradford will win I think.

Although I hate Bradford and will be supporting the Tigers as our representative.