PDA

View Full Version : The Movie Review Thread *beware of spoilers!*

Super Cronk
22-01-06, 04:30 PM
Considering we have a thread for game reviews i thought ild start a movie review thread. It doesnt have to be 4 page long stuff, but we dont wanna read "the movie sux". You can give bad, Good, Border-line good, border line negative reviews, whatever you please. It can be an old movie, or a new movie. this thread MAY contain spoilers!!!!!

Use this template to help you out in your review. Some catergories wont need to be answered: For example: You dont have to fill the "humour" part in if it was a horror movie.

Title of film

Genre

where did you view this movie?(dvd, cinema etc)

synopsis(brief description of movie

who is in it?

Rate the following out of /10(10 being the best or highest, only answer the ones that apply to your film

humour /10

violence /10

Music/Score/10

Acting/10

action /10

Would you recommend others to see this film? YES or NO

Review(your review can be aslong as you want it to be , as stated above it has to be a decent effort but doesnt have to be 10 pages long):

Feel free to add your own criteria. ill be putting some up later on.

Super Cronk
22-01-06, 06:30 PM
Title of film: king kong(2005)

Genre action/adventure

where did you view this movie?(dvd, cinema etc) Saw it at the movies

synopsis(brief description of movie

Set in the 1930s, this is the story of a group of explorers and documentary filmmakers who travel to the mysterious Skull Island (near Sumatra) to investigate legends of a giant gorilla named Kong. Once there, they discover that King Kong is a real creature, living in a massive jungle where creatures from prehistoric times have been protected and hidden for millions of years(IMDB.com)

who is in it? jack black, Naomi Watts, Adrien Brody +more

Rate the following out of /10 (10 being the best or highest, only answer the ones that apply to your film

humour 6/10- Not supposed to be a comedy..but there were a few thigns that made you laugh.

violence 7/10- There is alot of "violence"...guns etc.

Music/Score /10

Acting6/10- Could have been better. Im i the only one that thought Watts and jack black were dull?

action 9/10- Full of action, but you need to go through atleast an hour efore you see any action.

Would you recommend others to see this film? YES or NO Yes

Review(your review can be aslong as you want it to be , as stated above it has to be a decent effort but doesnt have to be 10 pages long):

I thought the film was alright. I went into it with big expectations and it sorta let me down. The acting was good....but i thought jack black and naomi watts werent anything special. Was a long movie...going for around 3 hours, with alot of dialogue and other junk and i actually zoomed out at certain times because it was a little boring.

Over-all score i give it a 6.5/10.

Queenslander
22-01-06, 07:57 PM
Title of film: Batman Begins

Director: Christopher Nolan

Actors: Christian Bale, Michael Caine, Liam Neeson, Katie Holmes, Gary Oldman, Cillian Murphy, Morgan Freeman

Genre: Action, Drama

where did you view this movie?: Cinema & DVD

synopsis: The story of how Bruce Wayne became what he was destined to be Batman

humour 5/10: Some "funny" moments but no camp Adam West style humour

Violence 7/10: No blood but some good fight scenes

Music/Score 8/10: The dark gloom of Gotham City is echoed by the score.

Acting 10/10: Christian Bale is the ultimate Batman and the supporting cast just adds to the film

Action 9/10: No over the top explosions and special "doom" guns. Just simple realistic action

Would you recommend others to see this film? YES

Review:

First of all the man who should get all of the praise for this film is the director Christopher Nolan...He was the director of this film (my 2nd favourite of all time) and my favourite film Memento (I will do a review of that film later). Nolan re-creates the Batman image the way it should. The film is devoid of cheesy one liners and over the top acting. And is replace by a realistic world. We can finally understand why a man would wear a batsuit and run around a city and fight crime. Overall this film was the greatest of 2005......5 Stars

Super Cronk
25-02-06, 08:17 PM
Title of film: jarhead

Genre; drama/war

where did you view this movie?(dvd, cinema etc): at the cinema

synopsis(brief description of movie)

Jarhead (the self-imposed moniker of the Marines) follows "Swoff" (Gyllenhaal), a third-generation enlistee, from a sobering stint in boot camp to active duty, sporting a sniper's rifle and a hundred-pound ruck on his back through Middle East deserts with no cover from intolerable heat or from Iraqi soldiers, always potentially just over the next horizon. Swoff and his fellow Marines sustain themselves with sardonic humanity and wicked comedy on blazing desert fields in a country they don't understand against an enemy they can't see for a cause they don't fully fathom.(IMDB.com)

who is in it?:

Jake Gyllenhaal, Jamie Foxx, Kevin Foster

Rate the following out of /10(10 being the best or highest, only answer the ones that apply to your film

humour 9/10- Some very funny stuff in this film.

violence 6.5/10- Not as much as you would expect from a "war movie", altho it isnt like your typical war movie.

Music/Score 7/10- had some good oldies...

Acting 8/10- great acting...i thought Gyllenhaal was awesome.

action 6.5/10- (see violence)

I saw this film expecting to see a typical war movie...but after the first 10 mins or so i relised this isnt your typical war/army movie. And i mean that in a good way! The acting was pretty damn good all round, and had some very funny parts in it aswell as serious moments.

I really enjoyed this film...with its "wicked" sense of humour you really get envolved and enjoy the film....Alot of 'F' words and other swearing...so if you dont like swearing then dont see this film.

Over-all i give it a 9/10.

DeeGan
04-03-06, 05:52 PM
I will be "reviewing" Wedding Crashers tonight :D

I really like this idea cronk, let's get the it happening again.

Cheers

Queenslander
05-03-06, 12:23 AM
Title of film: Memento

Director: Christopher Nolan

Genre: Crime / Drama / Mystery / Thriller

Where did you view this movie?: at the cinema and on dvd

Synopsis

Leonard (Guy Pearce) is an insurance investigator whose memory has been damaged following a head injury he sustained after intervening on his wife's murder. His quality of life has been severely hampered after this event, and he can now only live a comprehendable life by tattooing notes on himself and taking pictures of things with a Polaroid camera. The movie is told in forward flashes of events that are to come that compensate for his unreliable memory, during which he has liaisons with various complex characters. Leonard badly wants revenge for his wife's murder, but, as numerous characters explain, there may be little point if he won't remember it in order to provide closure for him. The movie veers between these future occurrences and a telephone conversation Leonard is having in his motel room in which he compares his current state to that of a client whose claim he once dealt with. From imdb.com

Who is in it?:

Guy Pearce .... Leonard Shelby
Carrie-Anne Moss .... Natalie
Joe Pantoliano .... Teddy Gammell

Humour 4/10- Some slight funny bits where they sort of make fun of his disability. Stuff like "What am I doing now.....ah chasing that guy......*Gunshot*.....nope he is chasing me"

Violence 7/10- The opening shot is backwards; and contains a bullet to a head, but the rest is fine

Music/Score 7/10 - The music isnt overplayed in this movie and it guides us through the drama of Lenoards life

Acting 10/10 - Guy Pearce should have got an Oscar for this role. His acting makes you feel sorry for Lenoard and the life he has taken.

Review:

My favourite movie of all time; Christopher Nolan presents a story that drags you through the drama. I must warn you that the movie is present backwards (Story wise not actual pictures going backwards) And this movie requires more than one screening to fully absorb all the information. After watching this movie numerous times, I am still learning new things that add to the story. And when you first watch the movie and witness the ending your heart will break. I wont reveal spoilers but it truly is a heartbreaker.

So if you are sick of the typical hollywood trash that is deliver every Thursday at your local cinema then rent or buy this on dvd and watch one of the greatest films of our era.

Overall I give it a 10/10.

DeeGan
05-03-06, 09:25 AM
The Wedding Crashers

http://i.realone.com/assets/rn/img/8/2/7/3/7483728.jpg

Genre: Comedy

where did you view this movie? DVD

Synopsis: (from www.bullz-eye.com] ?Wedding Crashers? follows two aging divorce mediators Jeremy and John (played by Vince Vaughn and Owen Wilson respectively) as they use the ?rules of wedding crashing? to meet and pick up women. With the wedding season almost over, John starts to feel guilty, and wonders if there?s more to life than just sleeping around. Jeremy convinces him to crash one last event ? the wedding of one of the daughters of Treasury Secretary William Cleary (Christopher Walken). At the reception, John falls for one of Cleary?s other daughters, Claire (Rachel McAdams), but John learns that she already has a boyfriend, the elitist Sack (Bradley Cooper). Jeremy beds the third Cleary sister Gloria (Isla Fisher) during the reception, and as a result he and John are invited to the family?s Maryland-coast estate for a few days of comical mishaps at the hands of the dysfunctional Cleary family, which also includes the secretary?s horny wife Kathleen (Jane Seymour) and his confused son Todd (Keir O?Donnell).

Starring: Vince Vaughn, Owen Wilson, Christopher Walken, Rachel McAdams, Isla Fisher, Jane Seymour

humour /10 8 - Anything with Vince Vaughan coupled with Owen Wilso is going to be loaded with comedy. I expected more admittedly though the movie did not fail in getting a laugh.

violence /10 N/A - Some good ol' slapstick type "violence" though nothing worthy of being rated here.

Music/Score/10 8 - Good soundtrack.

Acting/10 8 - Vaughan and Wilson are a great comedic duo with all involved doign a great job. Isla Fisher's character and performance was surprising and brilliant at the same time. She was very funny in her role.

action /10 N/A - Again, more slapstick stuff here.

My summary: As expected, the movie was hillarious at points and perhaps could be labelled a "romantic comedy". Vaughan and Wilson are hillarious at times. The "dinner" scene is tear inducing laughter at it's best with the "touch football" scene hillarious as well. There are some unexpected little twists and this movie will be added to my DVD collection.

Steve Dangerous
12-03-06, 12:57 AM
Title of film: A History Of Violence

Genre: Thriller/Suspense/Drama

where did you view this movie?: Cinema

synopsis: "Tom Stall (Mortensen) is living a happy and quiet life with his lawyer wife (Bello) and their two children in the small town of Millbrook, Indiana, until one night their idyllic existence is shattered when Tom foils a vicious attempted robbery in his diner."

who is in it?: Viggo Mortensen, Maria Bello, William Hurt, Ed Harris

humour 8/10: Not really traditional humour, but it had a lot of wit about it.

violence 10/10: as the title suggests

Music/Score NA/10: don't even recall

Acting: 6-7/10

action 8/10

Would you recommend others to see this film? definately

Review:
I really enjoyed it (bar the oldish couple in front of me who just wouldn't stop talking throughout most the movie.. i mean, cmon!). The style is really different to most movies. All the characters seem very stereotypical/cliched, almost comically so, and a lot of things remained unexplained. Don't think of that first point in a bad way, it works much as it does in kill bill or indeed sin city. As you may or may not know, this is also based on a graphic novel/comic. The violence in the movie seems hugely contrasting with the peaceful closeness of the town and is rather graphic. The movie has a dark wit throughout it. Unlike some of the movies i've seen lately (Munich, Walk The Line.. which were both good mind you) there is no overdirecting which prevents it seeming strained. It's an odd movie in a way, as i was left really wondering about the characters which seem completely underexplained leaving your imagination to try and fill in the gaps. All in all, good movie. 8/10

Lachy
13-03-06, 10:07 AM
I'm going to review a classic today.

Title of film:Reservoir Dogs

Genre?Action/Thriller

Where did you view this movie?On the comfort of my lovely couch

Synopsis:Five total strangers team up for the perfect crime. They don't know each others name, but they've got each others number. One of the men is a rat, a cop, who is it?

Who is in it?
Harvey Keitel
Tim Roth
Michael Madsen
Steve Buscemi
Chris Penn
Quentin Tarantino

humour 7/10Although this really is a serious film, there are still some Laugh out loud moments, such as the opening scene, discussing Madonna's motives behind her song 'Like a Virgin'

violence 10/10There's nothing like some Quentin Tarantino violence to relax to on a Sunday. It's quite prolific this violence, But not as bad compared to the opening 15 minutes of Saving Private Ryan.

Music/Score 10/10...Again, another 10. Tarantino can pick the best music, to suite the best situation, something I am yet to see a great director, besides him, Master. His inclusion of the K-Billy radio station is magnificant, a soundtrack to the whole disaster, right on the radio.

Acting 9/10 Harvey Keitel is the standout here. Tim Roth is great too, they really kick **** in terms of how their character is portrayed. Tim Roth just nails it. Steve Buscemi also gets a mention for his delivery and commitment to the role.

action 8/10 There is, somewhat, restrained action for a film about a robbery. But, the focus is on what happens afterwards, and no matter, it's still a fantastic placement of Action sequences by Tarantino.

Would you recommend others to see this film? YES or NOYes. If you really like this sort of Action/thriller kind of mixed genre, I advise you. But I am sure there aren't many who haven't seen it.

Review:(Taken from IMDB.com, this guy put it in words I couldn't)

This is the whole damn meal. "Reservoir Dogs" is about a crime gone horridly awry, and it makes no apologies for its violence, slurs, and language. It doesn't have to, because of its brilliant, gripping script and plot twists, acting that makes you think these people are real, and a flashy presentation of it all. Quentin Tarantino came on the scene not with a whimper but a bang with this story of a diamond heist which is foiled by an undercover cop--one of the criminals. The story unfolds backwards, beginning with Quentin Tarantino waxing poetic on Madonna's "Like a Virgin", and manages to cover Tim Roth writhing around in Harvey Keitel's backseat with a bullet in his stomach, Michael Madsen with a straight razor and a bound & gagged cop, Chris Penn crying rape in his father Laurence Tierney's office, and other insane, violent, and/or hilarious plot lines leading to a dazzling end. The soundtrack adds just the right amount of style and superiority, which you'll understand immediately when the Dogs walk in slo-mo to the tune of "Little Green Bag". This movie can only compare to "Pulp Fiction" with its brilliance, otherwise, it is completely and utterly a unique experience.

Steelers
24-03-06, 11:30 PM
When a Stranger Calls

Genre - Suspense/Thriller

Where did you view this movie? - Cinema

Synopsis - A teen girl is called to babysit at the last moment, and all is well until she starts recieving strange phone calls.

Who is in it? 'Nobody' actors

Violence - 3/10 - very little violence with the only 'fight' scene at the end of the movie

Music/Score - 1/10 - typical suspense movie music

Acting - 7/10 - acting was ok, it was let down by the script

Action - 5/10 - it had its high points and its low points

Would you recommend others to see this film? NO!

Review:

Well the movie started off promising. It seems to have a good storyline going for it with the teen girl having to babysit instead of go to a party in order to pay off a debt. She arrives, and all is well until she recieves her first phone call. She ends up recieving countless phone calls, with half being from her friends at the party, where there is low reception. The movie tries to make every single moment suspenseful, and almost everytime there is something moving in the distance, the family's cat will run out. It doesn't start getting good until the last 15-20 mins, when she finds out the calls are coming from inside the house. If you are going to watch this movie, I reccomend you leave the cinema and take a smoko for the middle 20-30 minutes, to relieve yourself of the 'suspenseful' phone calls she continues to recieve.

Steve Dangerous
25-03-06, 12:18 AM
oh man i knew that'd be bad!

i swear i've seen that exact idea in movies before.

Robbie_Dee
23-10-06, 05:28 PM
I started a new thread, but was pointed out that this one had already been made...well i thought id bring it back. I think it's a great idea to share movie reviews so we know whether or not to go to the movies and see it!

I havnt seen anything at the movies for a while...and was wondouring if theres anything good out atm.

Hoppy2007Dragons
23-10-06, 08:52 PM
Kokoda

Genre - War/Drama

Where did you view this movie? - DVD

Synopsis - Papua New Guinea 1942. A fearsome force of japanese fighters land on the northern coast of papua new guinea. their intentions to seize port moresby and invade australia. The only australians avaliable to face the onslaught are a small force of ill-equipped and untrained mitlitia ridiculed as chocolate soilders. It is assumed they will melt in the heat of battle. Knowing they are the only thign standing between their ountry and invasion, they have to fight their way back through the most perilous terrain on earth... the kokoda track.

Who is in it? Some well know aussie actors and some unknow actors. Instance one guy of blue heelers, the guy that does the cambell soup ads, the guy that hosts thank god your here and soem other reconisable faces.

Violence - 7/10 - not a lot of violence for a war movie, but had some gorey scenes, such as the stabbing of a soilders genitals, the stabbign of a soilders head, guts and wounds etc.

Music/Score - 6/10 i thought the music really built the atmosphere, but was too intrigued in the movie to really notice.

Acting - 8/10 - for australians, i thought the acting was very good and helped build a great story.

Action - 7/10- no too many war scences, more focused on the environemnt and the physical and mental strain.

Overall: 7/10

Would you recommend others to see this film? Defintly, a good movie, one that will be remembered as somethign australians produced and acted that was worth seeing.

Review: Firstly this movie is not what i thought it would be, it didn't have end to end action or massive blood and guts. But it really displayed what it was just like for the men of this historical event. In the end i had a tear in my eye, it was very emotional and intense near the end.

All in all a great aussie movie, with a great storyline and a decent bunch of actors and acting, to make this movie a good watch on a friday night.

zacaroo
24-10-06, 08:12 AM
i am doing a movie review for an assignment atm and it will be set out differently though but need people to say what they thought of it, i will put up what ive done of it at 9:28

zacaroo
24-10-06, 08:22 AM
REMEMBER THE TITANS
By Zac Graham

Remember The Titans is a movie that faces the harsh reality of racism in the deep south of America in the 1970s. The movie forces together a black and white student body and subsequently there football teams as well, forming T.C Williams High School. The movie is full of racist assumptions and racial hate. The main character is Herman Boone [played by Denzel Washington] who was transferred to T.C Williams to take over the job of current head coach Bill Yoast [Will Patton]. Yoast is a very successful coach who is also very beloved by the players and their families alike. Neither man is happy with the situation and especially Yoast as he is now coaching under Boone as head defensive coach.

The team heads off to a training camp where they are meant to bond and become a team, but from the word go neither faction [black or white] want to co-operate. Coach Boone forces them to sit next to a person from a different race on the bus ride to the camp. Once they are there the captain of the team under Yoast?s regime ? Gerry Bertier [Ryan Hurst] starts a fight with big negro enforcer Julius Campbell. After the fight the coach forces them to bond and in a few days they go from hating each other to knowing and caring about one another.

The team returns to Alexandria, the community where T.C Williams High School is based, where there is still fighting between the black and white population. But as the team bonds and overcomes the racial hostility in the town they get on a roll winning all their games bringing community pride and integration.

Remember The Titans explores the depth of racism and how an individual and a community can overcome it. Some of the issues that showed how deep the racism was include ? when the blacks and whites wouldn?t sit on the same bus until the coach forced them to, when Gerry hit Julius for putting up a black power poster that Gerry didn?t like, when Gerry?s best mate wouldn?t block for the black quarterback and his arm got broken. Those are just a few examples of how deep this racist hate was and still is in some southern cities to this day.

The amazing thing about Remember the Titans is how they are portrayed as potential state champions and you think the movie will be predictable ? which it is but the impassioned speeches, including Coach Boone?s address at the site of the Battle of Gettysburg, to the music make it such a special viewing experience. The movie shows lots of stereotypical characters as well. From the blonde haired Californian quarterback known as ?Sunshine? through to the obligatory fat person who is the source of ridicule.

Remember the Titans may be corny and predictable but it exceeds expectations in it own terms. This movie shows racial hate and how you can overcome your problems if you have faith and put the effort in.

Grimmace
24-10-06, 08:45 AM
REMEMBER THE TITANS
By Zac Graham

Remember The Titans is a movie that faces the harsh reality of racism in the deep south of America in the 1970s.

The movie forces together a black and white student body and subsequently there football teams as well, forming T.C Williams High School.

The movie is full of racist assumptions and racial hate. The main character is Herman Boone [played by Denzel Washington] who was transferred to T.C Williams to take over the job of current head coach Bill Yoast [Will Patton].

Yoast is a very successful coach who is also very beloved by the players and their families alike. Neither man is happy with the situation and especially Yoast as he is now coaching under Boon

Ive changed your first paragraph see above. As it was far too long, all you need in your frist paragraph is a quick summary of what the movie is about and then go indepth.
Other than that i wouldnt change it as its quite good but i would change the word "fat" for obese sounds a little better but as i said its quite good.

Poida
24-10-06, 09:22 AM
Title of film-Reservoir Dogs

Genre-action

where did you view this movie?video

synopsis-story of how these criminals were setup and one of them was an informer

who is in it?- Steve Buscemi, Michael Madsen, Harvey Keitel, Lawrence Tierney, Quentin tarantino, Chris Penn

humour 10/10- the scene in the cafe was hilarious.

violence 8/10- particularly violent but not as much as other titles

Music/Score10/10-good tracks like stuck in the middle with you

Acting10/10- really professional (lol)

action 10/10- action is awesome.

this film is one of the funniest ive seen. doesnt matter if it isnt comedy genre . just nice guy eddie and mr pink say some funny stuff.

zacaroo
24-10-06, 01:55 PM
thanks grimmace, its only my draft that i wrote in 60mins this morning anf my teacher said from first look its a b or b+ maybe even and a .. :D :)

Grimmace
24-10-06, 01:56 PM
thanks grimmace, its only my draft that i wrote in 60mins this morning anf my teacher said from first look its a b or b+ maybe even and a .. :D :)
Mate if you need any help just give us a yell and ill hopefully fix your problem.

zacaroo
24-10-06, 02:02 PM
well can i re word it to sound better do you think?

Grimmace
24-10-06, 02:04 PM
No word for re-wording it you have just gotta watch when u put in a new sentence you dont change the topic of the paragraph.

zacaroo
24-10-06, 02:06 PM
what have i done that at all?

[BroncosGirl]
24-10-06, 05:02 PM
I went and saw the Covenant recently!

Title of film The Covenant

Genre Erm, Horror/Action/Thriller

where did you view this movie?At the movies. Which would be the bst place

synopsis(brief description of movie Its about four friends who are descedants of a supernatural legacy, and they posses powers. This new guys comes to their school, and he appears to also be one of them, and they have to stop him etc.

who is in it? Steven Strait, Laura Ramsay, Sebastian Stan

humour 4/10 - it wasnt supposed to be funny!

violence 7.5/10 , when it was violent it was great, but could of had more.

Music/Score8/10 loved the music!

Acting8/10 pretty good actually.

action 8/10

Would you recommend others to see this film? Yeah I spose

zacaroo
24-10-06, 05:45 PM
nice reviews rolling in :)

W.I.L.T
24-10-06, 07:32 PM
Title of film: Rocky II

Genre: Drama/action

where did you view this movie?(dvd, cinema etc): dvd

synopsis(brief description of movie): Rocky is back to have another shot at the heavyweigth championship of the world against his rival Apollo Creed (boxing)

who is in it? Sylvester Stallone, Carl Weathers, Burgess Meredith

humour 4.5/10- for a none funny movie bits are funnyish

violence /10- altho a boxing movie no real violence is intended

Music/Score 8/10

Acting 7/10

action 8/10

Would you recommend others to see this film? A massive yes/

Review: In Rocky II we see Rocky (Sylvester Stallone) as a retired boxer, after going the distance with the heavyweight champion of the world Appollo Creed (played by Carl Weathers), Apollo looks to embarrass Rocky out of retirement to have a rematch as many people believed the first fight was fixed.

Rocky encounters many hardships including his wife falling pregnant then slipping into a coma, after finally realising that he could become the new heavyweight champion of the world he comes out of retirement to give it another shot.

This movie is written by Stallone, the storyline isn't too bad and the acting by Carl Weathers is superb, Stallone, although vocally challenge, does a good job as the slow but lovable Rocky, Burgess Meredith acts brilliantly as Rocky's trainer 'Mick'. The fight scenes are quite unbelievable, but it is a movie and it makes the fighting far more dramatic.

The music is very uplifting and inspirational when appropriate in the movie, some of the worlds most famous tunes came from this movie.

I am a massive Rocky fan, Rocky II is very close to being my favourite.

I give it a 8.5/10.

Poida
24-10-06, 07:39 PM
Title of film - Chopper

Genre- action i think

where did you view this movie?dvd

synopsis movie based on the story of chopper reid

who is in it? eric bana

humour 10/10 eric bana is a crackup. he says a lot of funny stuff

violence 9/10 gets violent in some scenes in the film like cutting the ear off

Music/Score 8/10 sort of music that suits a movie of a criminals story

Acting 10/10 very well done with the acting .realistic

action 9/10 it has a lot of action in it from shooting to being stabbed

this is a film that has comedy in it.
its a violent film but very funny and interesting to watch

W.I.L.T
24-10-06, 07:49 PM
Excellent review of batman begins.

zacaroo
24-10-06, 07:51 PM
how did you all find my review on remember the titans??