PDA

View Full Version : dragons resigned to losing Barret

Super Cronk
22-01-06, 05:15 PM
today in the sunday telegraph there is a little article on the first page of the sports section (i read it this morning and dont have a copy with me now) That said the dragons are resigned to losing barret at the end of teh year to wigan.

If anyone can copy the article in that would be great...if not ill do it later tonight.

Steelers
22-01-06, 08:02 PM
If anyone can get a hold of it I would greatly appreciate it.

Eel 33
23-01-06, 11:06 AM
The salary cap has struck again. Another story similar to the Bulldogs last year.

Super Cronk
23-01-06, 11:15 AM
My tele got thrown out yesterday but i think i can get another copy today...ill go down to the newsagency later on and see if they have a copy. Or someone else could safe me the trouble and scan in their copy :)

DeeGan
23-01-06, 12:01 PM
And I quote:

"St George Illawarra are all but resigned to losing champion five-eight Trent Barrett to Wigan at the end of the season in a deal that would make him the highest paid player in the game."

It then goes on to say..

"Saints officials are disappointed but relieved that his departure will solve their salary cap problems. That keeps the chances of them signing Matt Cooper and Mark Gasnier a lot better. Ben Hornby is the man who coach Nathan Brown has earmarked to take Barrett's place."

DeeGan

Dakink
23-01-06, 12:23 PM
Holy Crap...

Is Hornby going to be as good a no.6??? Time will tell - though this will be ahuge loss and even more reason to hate Wigan...

Steelers
23-01-06, 04:59 PM
:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: OMFG!!! Trent Barrett is one of the last 2 Illawarra players still playing at the Dragons, and Timmins is all but likely to retire very soon. 2006 may be the year that the Steelers truly die :( :')

..::Coops::..
23-01-06, 06:35 PM
:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: OMFG!!! Trent Barrett is one of the last 2 Illawarra players still playing at the Dragons, and Timmins is all but likely to retire very soon. 2006 may be the year that the Steelers truly die :( :')

sorry steelers, but i thought this was Timmins last year :?)

on the player profiles it says what do you do in 2006( or something like that) with his response, make my last my best

Steelers
23-01-06, 07:17 PM
sorry steelers, but i thought this was Timmins last year :?)

on the player profiles it says what do you do in 2006( or something like that) with his response, make my last my best

Yeah forgot about that :whatd: lol

DIEHARD
23-01-06, 09:28 PM
My official comment...

:laugh:

Dragons
23-01-06, 09:51 PM
My official comment...

:laugh:
He might become a Bonco :naughty:

Queenslander
27-01-06, 11:11 AM
ST GEORGE-Illawarra is playing down speculation that captain Trent Barrett is heading to Wigan in the English Super League.

Dragons chief executive Peter Doust insisted yesterday there was nothing sinister behind today's summit meeting with Barrett's manager, Wayne Beavis.

"I've got no comment on the likely outcome of today's talks. I wouldn't have a clue," Doust said yesterday.

"I've agreed to meet with Wayne Beavis for talks, as I do from time to time with managers of other players we have under contract.

"It is well known Trent Barrett has a get-out clause in his contract that allows him, should he wish, to leave St George to go and play in England if he wanted a change of lifestyle."

But Beavis was adamant that linking Barrett's name to Wigan was "purely market speculation".

"There's nothing to the story," Beavis said yesterday.

"I've agreed to the talks today since the rumours linking Trent Barrett to Wigan began circulating before Christmas. I couldn't arrange the meeting any sooner as I've been away on holidays.

"The rumour mill has been in overdrive since Trent was spotted having lunch with Wigan coach Ian Millward and assistant Andrew Farrar during last year's tour with Australia.

"There was nothing to the meeting, just three old mates from the old Illawarra Steelers days having a get together. I can honestly say I've not had a formal request from Wigan chairman Maurice Lindsay, whom I've known for 15 years, or seen any form of a written offer from Wigan for Trent's services.

"But in Barrett's defence he quite possibly sees going to play with a club like Wigan in England as an opportunity to possibly winning a premiership. He turns 29 this year and he's still under contract with the Dragons for two more seasons."

Meanwhile, Ashton Sims, one of the selection bolters in Kangaroos coach Ricky Stuart's pre-season train-on squad, has began talks to extend his contract with the Dragons.

Sims' manager Steve Gillis yesterday denied speculation linking the 20-year-old utility forward, who is off contract at the end of the season, to Stuart's club side Sydney Roosters.

"Ashton was seen in Bondi Junction but he was there on business seeing his accountant," Gillis said.

"He's told me he's happily settled down in Wollongong and he wants to stay with the Dragons.

"I held talks with club CEO Peter Doust on Wednesday on a new three-year deal which gives him some stability and I'm confident that that the deal will be done sooner, rather than later."

Sims has targeted the jumper vacated by Lance Thompson, who joined Cronulla after an acrimonious split with the Dragons. He will get his chance to impress when the Dragons open their pre-season campaign against South Sydney in the Charity Shield match at Telstra Stadium on February 18.

http://foxsports.news.com.au/story/0,8659,17949219-23214,00.html

Super Cronk
27-01-06, 12:58 PM
This was just posted on ABC.net.au:

St George Illawarra captain Trent Barrett is almost certain to leave the National Rugby League club at the end of this season to play in England.

The Dragons have given Barrett permission to negotiate with English clubs and a decision is likely before the end of February.

Dragons chief executive Peter Doust said Barrett wanted to see what interest he could attract from Super League clubs in England.

"He's going to contemplate a move overseas for 2007 and beyond," Mr Doust said.

"That doesn't mean that he's decided to go. He's just going to consider the offers and see what comes of it."

Mr Doust said there was likely to be no shortage of offers for Barrett's services.

"I think that's the way things are going over there these days - they're looking to attract players of that calibre and so I think they'll be interested, no doubt."