PDA

View Full Version : Challenge Cup Draw - Round 1

DIEHARD
22-01-06, 12:39 PM
The draw for the opening round of this year's Powergen Challenge Cup has taken place in Leeds.

The games will take place on 4/5 February and the pick of the ties sees Conference side Gloucestershire Warriors taking on Blackbrook.

Normanton, who BBC Sport will be covering along the road to Wembley until they leave the competition, will travel to Skirlaugh.

The 2006 final will take place at the new Wembley Stadium on 26 August.

The Rugby Football League fully expects to sell out the 90,000 capacity stadium and more than 25,000 tickets have already been sold.

The first round sees 52 amateur clubs taking part.

National League clubs and three French outfits will enter the competition at the third-round stage with the 12 Super League clubs joining in the fourth round in April.

And Huddersfield's Robbie Paul, who won the Lance Todd Trophy in 1996 after scoring the first Wembley hat-trick of tries for Bradford, says the return to Wembley will be an extra incentive this season.

"I know I'll be doing my darnest to get back there and, even if I'm not there as a player, I'll definitely be there as a supporter," he said.

"I have tremendous memories of Wembley. My career was made there.

"It's something we have spoken about already at the Giants. Getting there with Huddersfield would be a dream come true."

First round draw:

Thornhill v Eastmoor
West Bowling v Halton Simms Cross
Bramley v Thatto Heath
Clayton v Warrington W
Royal Navy v Wigan St Patricks
Eccles & Salford v Hunslet
Leigh East v Askam
Shaw Cross v Oldham St Annes
Skirlaugh v Normanton
East Leeds v Milford
Ovenden v Bank Quay
Bradford Dudley Hill v Gateshead
York Acorn v Ince Rose Bridge
Royal Air Force v Siddal
Wigan St Judes v Kells
Walney Central v Ideal Isberg
East Hull v Lock Lane
Leigh Miners v Bransholme
Gloucestershire W v Blackbrook
Seaton v Rochdale M
Barrow Island v Stanley
Crosfields v Oulton R
Wath Brow v Castleford P
Saddleworth v Hull Dockers
Widnes St Maries v St Albans
The Army v West Hull

BBC Sport Online

DIEHARD
22-01-06, 12:41 PM
Finally returning to Wembley Stadium will be a huge plus for rugby league, especially in London.

It is back where it belongs.