PDA

View Full Version : NRL: Morley to stay a Rooster

DeeGan
22-01-06, 10:18 AM
Morley to stay a Rooster
By Peter Badel
January 22, 2006

ADRIAN Morley has ended months of speculation over his future by declaring his desire to sign a new deal with the Sydney Roosters.

The British hardman's commitment came as the Roosters begin a $2.3 million recruitment blitz to secure Morley and off-contract stars Craig Fitzgibbon, Anthony Minichiello and Ryan Cross.

After winning the premiership during a guest stint with Super League club Bradford in October, Morley was rumoured to be contemplating a return to England at the end of this season.

Speculation had the Roosters entertaining the notion of swapping Morley with Bradford enforcer Stuart Fielden. But Morley plans to extend his career in Australia by signing a two-year deal that will keep him at the Roosters until the end of 2008.

"I want to stay here," said Morley, who turns 29 in May. "I'm contracted until the end of the season but I want to talk to the Roosters about extending my deal.

"The next contract I sign could be my last, but I've enjoyed every moment at the Roosters and I want to show them some loyalty. Another two years would be nice."

Morley, who is expected to be granted permanent residency this week, said he had only a mild desire to return home with partner Claire, who is also English.

"I do have a pretty close family over there, but I'm enjoying my life in Sydney," he said.

"The beauty is I have nine months over here and then I can return home for three months for holidays, plus I still get to represent Great Britain.

"I don't know where this talk of me swapping with Stuart Fielden came from. The Bradford thing was just an opportunity to have success after our disappointing year at the Roosters."

Roosters boss Brian Canavan revealed the club had started negotiations with Morley, Fitzgibbon and Minichiello and would soon launch talks with City Origin centre Cross.

The Sunday Telegraph

I am sure Sydney Rooster fans are over the moon to here Morley speak like this as he is still one of the most feared forwards (if not the most feared) in the game and he will go along way to leading Sydney back to the semi-finals.

It would be interesting to see the length of deal the Roosters are looking at especially since Morley's record with the judiciary is one that could see hime spend extended lengths on the sideline if he fronts the panel again.

IMO, I would be more certain of Morley's future once pen is put to paper as the Stu Fielden "swap" is one rumour that won't go away.

"Where there is smoke, there is fire"

DeeGan