PDA

View Full Version : NRL Rumour: Gower to leave Penrith?

DeeGan
21-01-06, 07:52 PM
NRL Rumour: Gower to leave Penrith?

I have heard a juicy rumour this afternoon - former Penrith captain Craig Gower may be seek a release from Penrith after his wedding (that will be granted by the Panthers) and allow him to head to the UK with a cashed up Super League club like Salford or Wigan.

This is merely a rumour I head this afternoon at the local watering hole with some bush league types. It made for lively discussion it has to be said.

Interesting given the charity gold episode though as with most rumours, it will remain just that...a rumour.

DeeGan

Queenslander
21-01-06, 07:56 PM
We will have to wait and see. But would the panthers actually let him go though?

DeeGan
21-01-06, 08:21 PM
We will have to wait and see. But would the panthers actually let him go though?

That was my argument mate - the Penrith Panthers board letting go of their best player knowing full well Preston is coming to the Titans in 2007?? :whatd: ...I don't think so.

I posted this here as their were some sitting with us really warming to the fact this may turn out to be right, I will be interested in seeing some opinions from members.

99.9% chance of not happening IMO.

DeeGan

Super Cronk
21-01-06, 08:22 PM
Good, i for one hope to never see him agian.

Go_The_Doggies
21-01-06, 08:26 PM
lol hes still gettin married...lol

DIEHARD
22-01-06, 12:23 AM
In an international bad boy exchange.

Gower for Ward. :laugh:

British clubs would circle like vultures if Gower left Penrith and if he leaves Penrith, he will go overseas, I can't see him playing for any other NRL club.

Could Salford's fantasy of having Gower play for them come true? :erm:

But are the Panthers really stupid enough to let Preston and Gower go at once? :laugh:

SOLIOLA
22-01-06, 03:50 PM
Expected this to come after the incident happend.

The guy is from my local town and there have been talks he will move to England but some suggest that this wont happen until after the 2006 season and when his contract is up with the Panthers.

But now that the rumour has leaked the story might get more bigger and might make gower wanna move.

Dragons
22-01-06, 05:12 PM
You have been at the Burleigh Bears aye Deegs

DeeGan
22-01-06, 05:30 PM
You have been at the Burleigh Bears aye Deegs

Yes I have been though not when I heard this ;)

DeeGan

Queenslander
22-01-06, 09:07 PM
NRL chief executive David Gallop has warned Craig Gower not to step out of line again as the besieged Panther picks up the pieces from his wild weekend on the Sunshine Coast.

The edict from Gallop came as The Sunday Telegraph learned Wigan was poised to throw Gower a million-dollar lifeline if he had been sacked by Penrith.

After reviewing Penrith's report into Gower's behaviour on the Sunshine Coast just before Christmas ? which led the club to fine Gower $30,000 and strip him of the captaincy ? Gallop opted against taking any further action.

But after meeting Gower and his manager Greg Willett on Wednesday, Gallop said the Test playmaker could ill afford another misdemeanour.

"We've viewed the report and don't intend taking any further action," Gallop said.

"However, we made it clear that Craig Gower wouldn't want to find himself involved in another serious matter.

"That's not a threat, it's just fact."

The NRL boss said he was satisfied with Penrith's investigation into the alcohol-fuelled incident, which included claims Gower groped the daughter of league legend Wayne Pearce.

"The penalty was appropriate," Gallop said.

"Penrith went through a very lengthy process, they took the trouble to interview a lot of people.

"Craig would be disappointed in himself. The game doesn't need these types of headlines."

Willett revealed that, in the wake of the incident and fearing Gower would be sacked, he contacted a high-ranking English official offering Gower's services.

The Sunday Telegraph can reveal the official as Wigan supremo Maurice Lindsay, although Willett insists no terms of a proposed deal were discussed.

"I spoke to the official and he said if Craig wasn't wanted, there was room at his club," Willett said.

"I was getting the feeling Craig would be cut by Penrith so I had to do something.

"I had to have a Plan B in case something went wrong."

Willett said Gower, who will marry former cheergirl Amanda Flynn next weekend, is now wary of becoming a public target.

Privately, it is believed Gower is furious with the punishment meted out by the Panthers ? and Willett claims the club let their former skipper down.

"I don't think Craig got backed by them," Willett said.

"It was like, 'bang, here's your punishment'.

"He spoke to the board one day and the next it's done and dusted.

"Craig has paid a high price for going on the drink. He was guilty before it was even investigated. I'm not saying he is totally innocent but the whole thing could have been handled a bit better.

"He's just disappointed at how it was handled and how everything happened.

"He's got some soul-searching to do. He knows he has to be careful from now on.

"But he is about to get married and he's getting on with his life."

http://www.sundaytelegraph.news.com.au/story/0,9353,17899990-28780,00.html

Some details about a possible link to Wigan are told but nothing seems to be set in concrete. It was just a back up if he did get sacked

Eel 33
23-01-06, 11:10 AM
Stupid if Penrith let both halves go at once. Maybe they could do it if they have another superstar combo in premier league. They've got enough juniors to do it, or have the Roosters already "stolen" them too?

DeeGan
03-02-06, 09:01 PM
All new reports can go here ;)

DeeGan

Queenslander
03-02-06, 09:03 PM
As posted in other Gower thread: :)
Gower seeks release: report

PENRITH halfback Craig Gower is reportedly seeking a release from his contract with the rugby league club.

Gower, who was stripped of the captaincy and fined $100,000 ? $30,000 of which was suspended ? following a series of drunken incidents at a golfing function in December, is understood to be unhappy with the action the club took over the matter.

Channel Ten reported the 27-year-old's manager Greg Willett had a meeting with Penrith general manager Mick Leary to discuss various issues in relation to Gower today.

Leary, who did not answer phone calls this evening, was reported to have denied Gower was specifically seeking a release from a five year contract which was signed last year.

Gower has already been linked to the Castleford club in England and NRL team the Melbourne Storm.

He is currently overseas on his honeymoon.
http://foxsports.news.com.au/story/...3-23214,00.html

I never realised that the Storm was on the list for Gower! And the superleague club has changed from wigan to castleford!!!

..::Coops::..
03-02-06, 09:12 PM
hmmm...i don't think that if Gower were to leave Penrith he would go to another NRL club, only Super League.
But will Penrith release him?? both halves gone ??(after this season).

DeeGan
03-02-06, 09:42 PM
I cannot see Gower being released with Campbell going as well.

Who knows, Carty might get in his ear for a possible move north to combine with Preston in 2007?

DeeGan

mb63
03-02-06, 11:10 PM
I felt Gower was happy to cop the fine but was desperate to retain the captaincy of Penrith.Losing the captaincy may have swayed him to cut all ties with the Panthers.England most likely for him but Storm do have plenty of room in their salary cap.

Kingytek
04-02-06, 01:03 AM
I cannot see Gower being released with Campbell going as well.

Who knows, Carty might get in his ear for a possible move north to combine with Preston in 2007?

DeeGan

Doubt it, thats if they are serious about signing the person before the player.

DeeGan
04-02-06, 07:42 AM
Doubt it, thats if they are serious about signing the person before the player.

My post was 'tounge in cheek' Kingytek and yes we are serious about the 'person before the player' as Ian Buchanan has reinterated to myself (see Danny Ward thread).

DeeGan
04-02-06, 10:12 AM
Interesting news I have heard today from a Triple MMM Deadset Leagends caller who attended the wedding of Craig Gowers:

1. The caller claims that Gower was not given the chance to defend himself when fronting up to the NRL board. It is alleged that he was told to sit down and keep quiet as was his legal team. The appology from Gower was made on the advice of his legal time and he was told 'to let this just blowover and pay the $30,000'.

2. The reason Penrith players were not invited to the wedding is because they had a limited number who could attend (90 guests) and if he invited one player, he would have to invite all.

3. Gower has not been charged with groping Pearce's daughter.

4. Gower is dirty with the way he has been treated by Penrith in re: to the incident and the rumour floating around is true as Gower is "gutted" by the whole thing.

Hmmm...

DeeGan

Super Cronk
04-02-06, 10:58 AM
Altho gower is a good halfback, i dont want that scumbag at the storm. We already have one(walker) we dont need another pig who thinks he can blame all his problems on booze.

His asking price would prolly be way to much for the storm to match anyway, off to england with the other rejects gowie.

Queenslander
04-02-06, 11:32 AM
MELBOURNE Storm last night became the first club to express a genuine interest in signing disgruntled Panther Craig Gower.

Gower's future at Penrith is clouded amid talk he wants a release from his $2 million contract.

Penrith officials will desperately attempt to talk their champion halfback out of quitting the club in protest at being sacked as captain.

Gower remains furious at losing the captaincy and being fined $100,000 after a drunken weekend at a Jack Newton charity golf day on the Sunshine Coast late last year.

The Daily Telegraph has learned Gower's manager Greg Willett met Penrith officials yesterday morning.

Gower, 27, has another four years remaining on his current deal.

Melbourne is unable to make Gower an offer due to anti-tampering restrictions but Storm general manager of football operations, Peter O'Sullivan, said: "If he was released or given permission to negotiate, we'd be crazy not to talk to a player of his calibre."

Gower is currently honeymooning in Vietnam with new wife Amanda but will return for crisis talks next week with Penrith officials.

There are also suggestions three British clubs - including Castleford - may target Gower.

Penrith coach John Lang confirmed the meeting and admitted Willett raised personal issues involving Gower.

http://foxsports.news.com.au/story/0,8659,18034033-23214,00.html

Super Cronk
04-02-06, 11:42 AM
http://foxsports.news.com.au/story/0,8659,18034033-23214,00.html

*sigh* :mad:

I wish we had the same mind set as the titans, sign the person before the player.

Titans#1
04-02-06, 11:44 AM
*sigh* :mad:

I wish we had the same mind set as the titans, sign the person before the player.

Before you get too upset, maybe you should read post #19 in this thread by DeeGan.

Titanium_BD1103
04-02-06, 11:46 AM
Frankly IMO.. and I am not trying to be mean or anything.. the Storm can have Craig Gower.. I wouldn't want him at the GC in 2007 anyway.. :)

My reason for saying this is that whilst according to Lang he has been training the house down, he is still bitterly upset at losing the captaincy and doesn't think the penalty should be that harsh... :(

Now I can understand him being bitterly upset, but if he is leaving the club just because he can't be captain as I am getting the view he is, they as much as I like him as a player, he is just being a spolit brat. I mean he did something that was pretty bad and was punished for it, and he understands that, yet, he still is complaining that he was treated badly.. if you didn't want all this to occur, you shouldn't have done it in the first place... ;)

If he leaves and goes to Melbourne.. I will lose a lot of respect for Craig Gower and IMO he is just a cop out, and spoilt, and I wouldn't want a player like that at the Titans in 2007, I mean what happens when we don't give him the captaincy here or another club doesn't give him what he wants, will he just up and leave and go to the next available club.. :(

EDIT: OK I have read what Deegan wrote in post 19.. and although I agree that was wrong if it is true.. I was listening to Whistle and Hooters this morning and watching WCC.. LOL.. :laugh:.... I would still reckon he should take what he gets, regardless of whether he was charged or not.. he still admitted that the incident occured and there are many to prove it.. therefore having the done the crime.. even if not charged.. he must take what he gets.. :cop:

That's just my opinion though, happy to hear what you have to say.. ;)

Super Cronk
04-02-06, 11:53 AM
Before you get too upset, maybe you should read post #19 in this thread by DeeGan.

I read it. Did i miss something?

Titans#1
04-02-06, 11:56 AM
I read it. Did i miss something?

Just that in my head it's still not proven that he's done anything wrong apart from have a few drinks.

I personally think that he's not a bad guy.

Super Cronk
04-02-06, 12:02 PM
Just that in my head it's still not proven that he's done anything wrong apart from have a few drinks.

I personally think that he's not a bad guy.

Im not judging him soley on what allegedly happen with the groping incident. I have witnessed him doing some things with my very own eyes, at the panthers leagues club, which has lead me to feel the way i do about him. Also lets not forget his incident in 1999 exposing himself to a lady while on tour. He might not have been charged with groping....but from what i understand he was charged with more then just "having a few drinks"...its one thing to have a few drinks and another thing to throw knives and harrass other people, which there were many witnesses who saw him doing that.

Not calling the guy that rang up a liar, but should we believe everyone that rings up a radio station and makes such comments?

DeeGan
04-02-06, 01:00 PM
Not calling the guy that rang up a liar, but should we believe everyone that rings up a radio station and makes such comments?

Good point though the NRL tended to believe those attending the function before hearing Craig Gower's version of events if I remember correctly as did the media. There is more to this story I feel - not calling anyone a liar, though this 'hearsay' 'shesay' tells me more is to come.

To be honest, I wish this whole story would disappear - yet another season with our game being dragged through the mud. Let's not hide from the problems out there amongst the players culture, though it get's tiring to read these sort of stories each pre-season.

DeeGan

Super Cronk
04-02-06, 01:13 PM
Good point though the NRL tended to believe those attending the function before hearing Craig Gower's version of events if I remember correctly as did the media. There is more to this story I feel - not calling anyone a liar, though this 'hearsay' 'shesay' tells me more is to come.

To be honest, I wish this whole story would disappear - yet another season with our game being dragged through the mud. Let's not hide from the problems out there amongst the players culture, though it get's tiring to read these sort of stories each pre-season.

DeeGan

I dont know that they(the NRL) believed the people attending the function, it was more they took the complaints/accusations very seriously and wanted something done about it. The media...in a way did jump onto the gower is guilty bandwagon, but i also feel alot of media outlets were just reporting what witnesses had said. Also what i find appalling is alot of people have been quick to call pearce's daughter a liar, straight off the bat panther fans and other people in the league community were saying she was doing it to get publicity and to get some money out of it, when in fact she never once went to the media...she wanted, alledgedly to just let it blow over and she didnt want to bear the embarassment of the incident.

I would also like thise headlines and incidents to disappear...but ild much see these sorts of players dissapear from our competition.

DeeGan
04-02-06, 01:23 PM
I dont know that they(the NRL) believed the people attending the function, it was more they took the complaints/accusations very seriously and wanted something done about it. The media...in a way did jump onto the gower is guilty bandwagon, but i also feel alot of media outlets were just reporting what witnesses had said. Also what i find appalling is alot of people have been quick to call pearce's daughter a liar, straight off the bat panther fans and other people in the league community were saying she was doing it to get publicity and to get some money out of it, when in fact she never once went to the media...she wanted, alledgedly to just let it blow over and she didnt want to bear the embarassment of the incident.

I would also like thise headlines and incidents to disappear...but ild much see these sorts of players dissapear from our competition.

If we go off this most recent report than the 'kangaroo court' was in session before Gower headed back to defend himself when discussing the NRL though I am sure this allegation will be denied. Again, it will be a she say hear say story - choose who you want to believe.

I for one wouldn't call her (Pearce's daughter) a liar though would like to know where the charges are for the alleged groping? Even if not from the Pearce family, what about Penrith?

Some loose ends that won't go away in a hurry.

DeeGan

Queenslander
04-02-06, 01:32 PM
I for one wouldn't call her (Pearce's daughter) a liar though would like to know where the charges are for the alleged groping? Even if not from the Pearce family, what about Penrith?

That has always bugged me: the lack of charges for the alleged groping. In my mind it raises alot of questions. Did the events actually occur? Or were the Pearce family persuaded to not press charges? The last thing rugby league needs is for this to drag on, let it be over and done with and move on :)

Titanium_BD1103
05-02-06, 10:43 AM
WOW there are a heap of articles on this issue ATM.. In the telegraph today I read that TAB and Centrebet have suspended betting on the Top 8 and Wooden Spoon markets after it was found that someone had bet $2000 for Penrith to come last.. :)

And now Tony Puletua is saying he will give up the captaincy for Gower to be happy.. I think Penrith are in trouble ATM sadly.. however I reckon giving Gower back the captaincy would be giving in to the issue of what occured.. ;)

From:http://www.sundaytelegraph.news.com.au/story/0,9353,18044975-28780,00.html

Puletua: I'll give up skipper's job
By Peter Badel
February 5, 2006

NEW Penrith skipper Tony Puletua has revealed he will gladly return the captaincy to Craig Gower to restore peace at the troubled Panthers, declaring: "I never wanted the job."

As Penrith officials yesterday doused speculation Gower had sought a release ? despite fresh interest from two British clubs ? Puletua vowed to relinquish the post to prevent Gower walking out on the club.

It is understood Gower is less than pleased that Puletua offered to replace him as captain following an alcohol-fuelled incident on the Sunshine Coast in December.

But the Kiwi Test star denied he had fallen out with his teammate of nine seasons. "I'd be happy to give the captaincy back to Craig ? the last thing I want is for him to be unhappy," Puletua told The Sunday Telegraph.

"I have been good mates with Craig for a long time and nothing has changed.

"There's no drama at all between us. If this (the captaincy) is an issue for him, I'll give it up, for sure.

"In my eyes, Craig has always been the leader at this club. He should be the captain ? hopefully the club can sort this situation out because it would be a massive blow if Gowie left the Panthers.

"I was shocked when I heard he had apparently asked for a release. I just hope it's not true."

Contacted by The Sunday Telegraph yesterday, Gower's manager Greg Willett insisted his client had no intention of getting out of a $2 million deal that has four years to run.

"To ask for a release you need to send a formal letter ? I haven't done anything like that," said Willett, who met Penrith coach John Lang and chief executive Mick Leary on Friday.

However, Willett confirmed he had received interest from Castleford and Salford.

Despite denials, Gower is furious about his treatment by Penrith. He is applying for a European passport ? his mother Maria is Italian ? which means he would not be counted as an import if he considered a move to England.

Lang slammed claims Penrith were a club divided over the captaincy issue.

He also queried suggestions Gower was livid with the club ? a belief fuelled by the fact not one Panthers teammate was invited to his wedding eight days ago.

"I have not had one hint to suggest Craig was unhappy here and would want out," Lang said. "I could not fault Craig's attitude. He has trained as hard as anyone. As far as the boys are concerned, team harmony is fine."

Puletua revealed he never truly coveted the Penrith captaincy.

"To be honest, I didn't want the job in the first place," he said.

"After what happened, the club was going through a tough time and they (Penrith board) felt it was best if I took over the captaincy."

The hulking back-rower conceded the Gower affair had the potential to destabilise the club.

"I spoke to a few of the boys and we're a bit concerned. We just want Penrith to get to the bottom of it," Puletua said.

As Queenslander said the sooner this goes away the better.. :D

Well actually I just want it to go away so I can put money on the Roosters to get the spoon :laugh: :laugh:, just kidding.. ;)

Dakink
06-02-06, 10:05 AM
This all just serves as a timely remindert that players need to be vigilant and careful when they are in the public eye.

I personally wouldnt want my club to sign him - and if he leaves because he is unhappy with his treatment, then I would say goodbye happily. Wether he groped or not - he still put himself in the situation where there was a chance of controversy. Players need to realise that despite the unfairness of the situation they cant act like regular people in the public eye - that means no excessive drinking and womanising etc.

Queenslander
06-02-06, 11:47 AM
Heartbroken Gower may want out
By Dean Ritchie
February 6, 2006

CRAIG Gower's health has deteriorated badly and he is heartbroken at Penrith's decision to dump him as captain, his manager revealed last night.

And manager Greg Willett also said Gower felt "let down" by the Panthers.

Gower returns home on Wednesday from his honeymoon in Vietnam and will hold crisis talks with Penrith later in the week.

Indications are Gower will request a release and sign with Melbourne.

The Australian Tri-Nations halfback remains angry at losing the captaincy and being fined $100,000 ($70,000 suspended) after a drunken weekend at a Jack Newton charity golf day on the Sunshine Coast late last year.

"I've never seen him so white and sick," Willett told The Daily Telegraph.

"He was so disappointed how it [his sacking and fine] was done.

"He didn't look good.

"It affected him badly. His health was no good and he was heartbroken.

"This isn't about football or any amount of money.

"It's about his health.

"If he stays [at Penrith] and it affects his health, he should get out. He's hurting."

Willett said the crux of his meeting last week with Penrith officials was to discuss Gower's health. The Penrith halfback ended up in hospital suffering from depression after his well-publicised sacking from the Test team in 1999 for exposing himself to an Irish backpacker at the Coogee Bay Hotel.

"I was worried about him." Willett said.

"There has been an emotional strain on him. That's why I went to Penrith.

"It has eaten away at him.

"I think he could have got more backing on the homefront [Penrith].

"That's what I said to them."

Willett would not speculate on whether Gower would formally request a release.

"We'll go and see Penrith when he gets back. He'll make up his own mind," he said.

Coach of English club Castleford, Terry Matterson, revealed yesterday that Gower's manager had been in touch when the issue first blew up at Christmas time.

Matterson said the club was interested in Gower if he is released. The newly-promoted Castleford Tigers are searching for a halfback following the club's failure to sign Cronulla's Adam Dykes.
http://foxsports.news.com.au/story/0,8659,18048692-32463,00.html

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sounds like he is having a great honeymoon :nope:

Super Cronk
06-02-06, 11:53 AM
awwww...lets all feel sorry for him. :(

Ipswich Fan
06-02-06, 12:02 PM
If he's been in Vietnam on his honeymoon, how's his manager seen him?

Queenslander
06-02-06, 12:06 PM
If he's been in Vietnam on his honeymoon, how's his manager seen him?

Im not sure......... perhaps Gower is sending photos home with a message saying "im sick, its all the panthers fault" :') He is in Vietnam, he has probably had some bad food, not a bad football club ;)

DeeGan
06-02-06, 01:35 PM
More on the Gower story from SMH.com.au

Gower's ultimatum: defend me or I'll walk

By Greg Prichard
February 6, 2006
AdvertisementAdvertisement

THE Penrith management's reaction to concerns detailed to the club by Craig Gower via his manager, Greg Willett, will this week determine whether the star player formally asks for a release from his five-year, $2.25 million contract.

Willett responded on Gower's behalf yesterday to end speculation about why the manager met Penrith chief executive Mick Leary and coach John Lang on Friday.

He said Gower was not angry with any individuals at the club nor was he necessarily seeking a reversal of the club's penalty - the loss of the captaincy and a $30,000 fine - for his alcohol-fuelled misbehaviour at a charity golf tournament on the Sunshine Coast in December.

But, Willett said, Gower remained deeply upset because he believed he did not get a reasonable opportunity to tell his side of the story before the decision was made and felt the club, while punishing him, should have done more to publicly defend his character.

"Craig gets back from his honeymoon on Wednesday or Thursday and I'll be looking to set up a meeting for us with the Penrith bosses before the weekend," Willett said. "We haven't asked for a release, but nothing has been ruled in or out at this stage.

"Part of the way you fix things is to sit down and have a chat, and Craig asked me to have a word to the club. The next step will be to bring Craig in on a meeting and see how the people in charge react to what was said.

"It's fair to say Craig is looking for the club to accept they went about things the wrong way. It wasn't so much the extent of the punishment, but the way the whole thing was dealt with that gobsmacked him.

"Craig put himself in a situation where he was drunk and he did the wrong thing and he had to cop something for it, but he didn't get the chance to give his side of the story.

"Some of the things he was alleged to have done, he didn't actually do, but the decision was made and dished out and that was it. He's unhappy about the process and he's also unhappy that the club didn't stick up for his character a bit more.

"You can go crook on a bloke for doing the wrong thing, but you can also point out the good things he does and Craig does plenty on behalf of the club.

"The club might still think they handled it the right way, but if Craig doesn't think the answers are good enough and they say, 'Bad luck', he might jump up and say, 'I'm out of here'. Or they might agree they could have handled things a bit better. We'll have to wait and see."

Willett also said Gower had no problem with teammate Tony Puletua accepting the vacant captaincy. "It's rubbish to suggest there is a problem between Craig and Tony," Willett said. "The talk that there is a problem between Craig and the other Penrith players because none of them were invited to his wedding is wrong, too.

"The guest list had to be kept to 90, including family and partners, and that was split between the bride and groom, so the invitations were obviously spread pretty thin. Craig thought that if he invited one or two teammates, others might get upset. He had a buck's night in Sydney with all of them instead."

Leary and Penrith chairman Barry Walsh said they would consider what Gower and his manager had to say.

"Penalising Craig like that was one of the hardest things I've had to do," Walsh said. "We'll talk to him and we'll work on building him back up and his image back up. He is Penrith through and through and we want him to stay."

Melbourne Storm's chief executive, Brian Waldron, said the club would be interested in Gower if he became available, and Castleford yesterday confirmed their interest in him.

Queenslander
07-02-06, 10:13 AM
Penrith in 'panic' over Gower
By Dean Ritchie
February 7, 2006

PENRITH was last night accused of "panicking" in sacking Craig Gower as captain although the NRL is pushing for the embattled halfback to remain at the Panthers.

Ex-Panthers centre Ryan Girdler took a swipe at Penrith for their handling of the Gower saga, claiming the club failed to support their skipper.

"I think Craig was treated harshly given he's the club's leader," Girdler said.

"You stand behind your captain through the good times and the bad times.

"I think they panicked. It seemed to be a rash decision which was rushed through."

Gower is poised to request a release from Penrith after losing the captaincy and being fined $100,000 ($70,000 suspended) for groping Wayne Pearce's teenage daughter during a drunken rampage at a charity golf event on the Sunshine Coast late last year.

"I think they could have given him more support. They took the word of people who weren't there," Girdler said. "I know Craig was upset before he left on his honeymoon. If he's upset, maybe it is better he leaves. But that's a decision for Craig to make.

"I know he always put the club first but now he may put himself first."

NRL chief executive David Gallop entered the Gower debate yesterday, saying: "Hopefully the issue will settle down for everyone's sake.

"I'm sure Penrith fans would like to see a local boy like Craig be there for many years to come.

"And local heroes are important to our game."

Canberra and Brisbane - two clubs thought to be interested in Gower should he be released - said they had no room under their salary caps.

TAB Sportsbet yesterday re-opened betting after closing markets on the NRL premiership and wooden spoon after the Gower drama broke. Penrith has now eased from $13 to $24 to win the premiership and firmed from $17 into $7 to claim the wooden spoon.

http://foxsports.news.com.au/story/0,8659,18062248-23214,00.html

Sharks
07-02-06, 03:48 PM
It seems that Gower will go to Melbourne Storm and Penrith will sign Cronulla's troubled child Adam Dykes who will play halfback at the Panthers.

DeeGan
07-02-06, 11:40 PM
It seems that Gower will go to Melbourne Storm and Penrith will sign Cronulla's troubled child Adam Dykes who will play halfback at the Panthers.

Yeah, this is the 'mail' as they say - I heard the above as well. The only difference to the above is a move to the Castleford Tigers.

Dakink
08-02-06, 09:09 AM
Id say bye bye Craig - trouble has a habit of following him.

Super Cronk
08-02-06, 10:48 AM
I dont even know weather or not the storm can afford him.

Sure we lost kearns, orford and bell but we also re-signed inglis on the $1million deal, we re-signed cam smith and matt king they would have had a pay rise. We signed crocker who wouldnt be cheap, we also re-signed a few lesser known names and signed other lesser known names. Gower would be in the $400,000 range, i think we would be over the cap.

Queenslander
08-02-06, 08:57 PM
Bleating Gower should grow up
Comment by Mike Gibson
February 8, 2006

I HAVE had it up to here with all this bleating about Craig Gower. Any more, and I am likely to throw up.

Since Penrith fined him $100,000 and sacked him as captain following his drunken rampage at a charity golf event, Gower has been portrayed as the victim.

Give me a break.

As an Australia player and captain of an NRL club, his behaviour was disgusting.

He disgraced not only himself and his club, but also the game that has been so good to him.

During his alcohol-fuelled spree, Gower groped the 17-year-old daughter of former rugby league great Wayne Pearce. Pearce could have confronted Gower and belted the daylights out of him.

He could have called the police and demanded that Gower be charged with sexual assault.

But after a wishy-washy statement from Gower - issued several days later - the matter was dealt with by the Penrith club.

So what do we have now?

Gower spitting the dummy, threatening to quit the Panthers because they have the hide to sack him as captain.

Gower's supporters have sprung to his defence.

Ex-teammate Ryan Girdler says he believes Penrith have treated Gower harshly.

Gower's brother, Jason, complains his family is disappointed that Gower has been made to look like "a spoilt brat".

But the most gob-smacking response came from Gower's manager, Greg Willett, who lamented that his client was "heartbroken" at the way Penrith had treated him.

"I have never seen him so white and sick," Willett said, recalling the stress Gower also suffered when he wound up in hospital in 1999.

That was after Gower had exposed himself to an Irish backpacker at the Coogee Bay Hotel.

Heartbroken? Get real.

Gower has been honeymooning with his bride Amanda in Vietnam.

Hardly a "heartbreaking" assignment.

As for the Gower family's concern that he has been made to look like "a spoilt brat", that is entirely Gower's doing.

He is the guilty party who, rather than accept his penalty, threatens to pack his bags and walk out.

Besides. I wonder if the Gower clan would exhibit similar sympathy towards some drunken oaf who did the same thing to a member of their family.

During the summer break, the chief executive of America's Fox Sports network, David Hill, delivered a stern message to the NRL.

In a spirited address, he warned that rugby league would suffer irreparable damage unless the league cracked down on the louts and lowlifes whose behaviour was threatening the fabric of the game.

Gower might be a good footballer, but his record clearly indicates a problem when he does drink alcohol.

His appalling behaviour left Penrith with no option but to strip him of the captaincy.

While Gower's supporters try to persuade us that he has been hideously wronged, their pleas are falling on deaf ears.

I suggest a better way to express their concern would be to tell him to take responsibility for his actions.

The Daily Telegraph

DeeGan
09-02-06, 12:59 AM
I'm staying, says Gower
By James Hooper
February 9, 2006

BESIEGED Penrith halfback Craig Gower has hit out at suggestions of a rift in the ranks at the Panthers - pledging his allegiance to the western Sydney club.

Stripped of the Panthers captaincy and fined $30,000 ($70,000 suspended) for the well-publicised intoxicated incident on Queensland's Sunshine Coast, Gower last night ended a two-month silence to clear the record about his playing future.

Angry at speculation the champion playmaker was poised to turn his back on Penrith, Gower quashed suggestions he was unhappy about the heavy punishment imposed by the Panthers.

But the Penrith halfback will attend a meeting with Panthers chief executive Glenn Matthews today - where he will air grievances about the handling of the investigation and hearing into the Sunshine Coast incident.

"I've got a couple of things I want to sort out with the club. Since I've been away this whole thing about how I want to leave has been blown out of proportion," Gower said.

"There are a couple of personal issues I've got with the club which I want to go in and talk to them about over the next week.

"I'm not angry about the fine, I'll wear my punishment like a man."

Clearing the air at Penrith is a major step forward for the embattled club, who were facing a potentially disastrous revolt in the playing ranks if Gower had departed.

In a sign of solidarity, Gower offered unwavering support for newly elected leader Tony Puletua, who was prepared to give the captaincy back after hearing Gower may have been unhappy.

Having married his partner of six years at a private ceremony at Whale Beach late last month, Gower returned home to Sydney yesterday after spending 10 days honeymooning with new wife Amanda in Vietnam.

The holiday allowed him some much-needed breathing space, having been the subject of outrage and headlines since the night of the Jack Newton celebrity golf challenge last December.

"It was good to get away and just have some alone time with Amanda - I went half way across the world but I've come home to mayhem again.

"It's been hard but I'm dealing with it. I'm not running away."

Gower will today attend a weights session at Panthers headquarters in Penrith where he will clear the air with teammates.

Gower, 27, has a further four years remaining on his current Penrith contract, the club he has played for since the age of 17.

Gower spent last night with his parents Mal and Maria.

The Daily Telegraph understands the Penrith board refused to allow Gower to present evidence at the hearing into the Sunshine Coast incident before stripping him of the captaincy and imposing the fine.

There also remains unrest about perceived pressure from the NRL to come down heavily on Gower.

The Daily Telegraph

Ok - please end this story NOW. This is getting just as boring as the Souths battles inhouse.

Super Cronk
09-02-06, 10:13 AM
LOL...seems as tho his manager is the only one that has kept this fire burning.

Dakink
09-02-06, 12:04 PM
Hehe another manager making a mountain out of a molehill.

Queenslander
10-02-06, 09:05 AM
Brandy kept Gower at Penrith
By Dean Ritchie
February 10, 2006

PENRITH legend Greg Alexander was last night identified as the man who appeased Craig Gower, telling the sacked Panthers captain: "Leave and it will eat you alive."

Alexander, nicknamed "Brandy", telephoned Gower for a heart-to-heart on Wednesday morning when the halfback returned to Sydney from his honeymoon with new wife Amanda.

Gower had expressed disappointment with the Penrith board's decision to sack and fine him after a drunken episode at a Jack Newton charity golf day on the Sunshine Coast late last year.

But input from Penrith board member and friend Alexander persuaded Gower to remain a Panther.

"I've known him 10 years and I know the bloke he is," Alexander said.

"I know if he had left Penrith on this note it would have eaten him alive for perhaps the rest of his life, certainly his football career.

"It wouldn't be fulfilling for Craig had he finished at another club.

"Leaving wasn't the solution, not after the guts he has shown on the field for Penrith over 11 years.

"He's a Penrith boy and I told him to go anywhere else would be giving up all the hard work he has put in at Penrith.

Advertisement:
"The grass isn't always greener on the other side.
"I had a good chat to Craig but, in the end, it was always going to be Craig's decision."

Gower returned to training with Penrith yesterday at a weights session and also met chief executive Glenn Matthews to sort out his differences with the club.

But there were unfounded rumours yesterday that all was still not well between the two parties.

However, Alexander said: "He was disappointed with a few things.

"But I asked him whether he had a problem with training, his teammates or 'Langy' (coach John Lang).

"He said he hadn't. That's 90 per cent of the battle won.

"I said that you play for yourself and your teammates. You don't play for the board.

"I was talking to him as a mate - we have been through a bit together.

"But we should remember, Craig never did ask for a release."

Panthers teammates were yesterday relieved that Gower was now staying.

"It would have been a hard start to the season had the No.7 not been filled," prop Joel Clinton said.

"I never thought he was going to leave.

"Craig's a Penrith boy through and through. It's good to have him back."

Preston Campbell added: "We read all these things in the paper, but no one knew what was going on."

The Daily Telegraph

Dakink
10-02-06, 09:44 AM
His manager has a lot to answer for!

mb63
10-02-06, 01:17 PM
Gower's manager reignited the Gower issue with the end result him staying at Penrith so did he just want to get Gower some sympathy & publicity.Hard to understand.

Queenslander
11-02-06, 09:30 AM
Gower in Penrith backflip
By James Hooper and Paul Kent
February 11, 2006

THE turmoil surrounding sacked Penrith captain Craig Gower took a dramatic turn last night as it emerged the star halfback was considering a switch to Melbourne.

Three days after pledging to fulfil his $2 million deal with Penrith, Gower is still contemplating a backflip to link with the Storm.

Simmering about a lack of support from Panthers powerbrokers over the charity golf incident, Gower will meet his manager Greg Willett to discuss his uncertain future today.

The Daily Telegraph understands Melbourne would be prepared to offer Gower around $1.6 million over three years.

And premiers Wests Tigers may also be interested in Gower's services if the Panthers halfback was to become a free agent. Gower was unavailable for comment last night while Panthers coach John Lang was unaware of the latest development.

Pressed over whether Penrith would grant Gower a release from his current contract which goes until the end of 2010, Lang said: "I'd cross that bridge if I got to it but obviously no one wants to lose their gun player."

Adding to the intrigue is that NRL clubs are not allowed to enter into negotiations with Gower due to strict anti-tampering laws.

So in effect, Gower is gambling that should he choose to leave he could still find a new home for this season.

No club has made an official approach to the Australia Test player but a halfback of his calibre could easily command interest if Penrith agreed to release him.

Melbourne chief executive Brian Waldron was last night adamant the Storm had not approached Gower, saying: "We've never even spoken to him."

"If Craig decided he wanted to move on and Penrith decided it's in their best interests to let him go we'd love to have a talk to him.

"But at the moment we're all talking hypotheticals."

Gower's decision will have widespread ramifications with the Panthers chances of qualifying for the play-offs plummeting if the star playmaker opts to depart.

The Daily Telegraph

Dakink
11-02-06, 09:34 AM
Gower is a tosser - I would not want my club signing this petulant little child. Reminds me of Orford shopping himself around a while ago. Poor Melbourne, I would much prefer they stay with Cooper Cronk.

Titanium_BD1103
11-02-06, 03:39 PM
This Gower story is getting ridiculous.. but if it turns out the way it maybe stated today in the Telegraph and on Whistles and Hooters by Paul Kent.. then it could be the windfall we all want... :)

The latest rumour to hit the media is that Gower will leave Penrith as his family don't like the attention he has gotten from this issue and think it is time for him to leave the club and start elsewhere for the sake of his new family that he and wife Amanda are looking to start.

The problem for Gower is that he has grown up with Penrith and is reluctant to leave, even though everyone else wants him too. Therefore the option that has now seemed to pop its head is that Gower will seek release at the end of the season and look elsewhere.. and the new team on the market to go after his name.. is none other than.. THE WESTS TIGERS.. As is stated in Queenslanders post above... :D

That means they are starting to give up on Prince and there must be something in their minds that is saying he will leave, I think, which means that we have a better chance of getting him now.. :)

I just wish though this saga would end.. if Gower's family wants him to lead a normal life once more, then there is one thing that will stop this.. Shut up and stay quiet.. and let the issue die once and for all... ;)