PDA

View Full Version : Titans: If Danny Ward signed, what would your reaction be?

DeeGan
20-01-06, 11:54 AM
Titans: If Danny Ward signed, what would your reaction be?

The Danny Ward rumour won't go away and whilst I cannot confirm or deny anything at the moment, IF we sign Ward I can't help but think there is going to be a lot of different reactions from Titans fans.

Vote what your reaction would be and post your reasoning, this should make a good read.

DeeGan

DIEHARD
20-01-06, 11:56 AM
Ah rumours and innuendo! We really are an NRL club. :thumbsup:

DeeGan
20-01-06, 02:15 PM
I voted 'undecided - there are positives and negatives'.

Postitives

- World class prop
- Young, plenty of years left in the game
- Gives us prop number three forming a formidable rotation with Bailey and Laffranchi
- If signed, Gold Coast Titans management have given the seal of approval which is good enough for me. We as fans have trusted and applauded each move made thus far, why stop now?

Negatives

- Off-field dramas at previous club, would that carry over to the Titans?
- Another UK player yet to be tested at NRL level

DeeGan

The Original Idiot
20-01-06, 04:19 PM
I'm sitting on the fence, those alcohol problems worry me a bit. The club should bring in personnel to help players with problems such as this. If the club shows it really cares for the players, less people will want to leave.

DeeGan
20-01-06, 04:34 PM
I'm sitting on the fence, those alcohol problems worry me a bit. The club should bring in personnel to help players with problems such as this. If the club shows it really cares for the players, less people will want to leave.

Good post.

It would be naive to think we at the Titans are going to not sign players in the future that have an off-field blemish against them if on the field they are going to be of benefit. We are not the Gold Coast Angels.

The Gold Coast Titans management team are smart enough to identify a potential 'bad egg' and take the appropriate steps to ensure the player is given every opportunity to better himself off the field. If we looked at signing Danny Ward it would be done with the player knowing what we are expecting from him on and off the field. I would envision some type of release clause to be added as well if there was an incident off the field.

Using Danny Ward as an example, the club can look at many different alcohol awareness courses as well as have the player out and about in the community (schools) promoting no drink driving for example. This is off the top of my head, though you see my point.

If the player in question is seen as too big a risk, he won't be signed, simple as that. Once more, I have trust in Michael, John and Scott when it comes to a possible signing of Ward - if they see him as a worthy signing, good enough for me. If he (Ward) disappoints them, they will raise their hand and admit they got it wrong.

Again, Ward had three chances at Leeds and blew it, that is a concern as he did not learn from previous experiences. A 25 y.o. man knows right from wrong and whilst some could argue a lack of maturity, I would say Ward is guilty of endulging in a bit to drink with the boys one too many times.

A change is as good as a holiday - with Hull likely to get Ward for a year, it will be interesting to see how he goes in 2006. As a Gold Coast Titans fan, I will be keeping a close eye on him in the Hull FC jersey as well keep an ear to the ground off the field.

DeeGan

Queenslander
20-01-06, 04:35 PM
Im not sure, from what i have heard he is talented. But the off field dramas may tarnish the club. If the titans do sign him we could see headlines like "Titans sign controversial league player" and thats not good for the club.

DeeGan
20-01-06, 04:44 PM
Im not sure, from what i have heard he is talented. But the off field dramas may tarnish the club. If the titans do sign him we could see headlines like "Titans sign controversial league player" and thats not good for the club.

True, the heading is not ideal though when he sets foot on Australian soil (that's IF he sets foot on Australian soil as a Titan) I believe he has a right to start with a clean slate much the way Danny Williams did when heading to London.

The Australian media will judge him not on the past but his deeds on and off the field for the team. Sure they may question the signing given we have said 'we will sign the person before the player' though again the management team are not fools and would not jeopardise our hard work off the field since our inception for one player when we have Bailey and Laffranchi.

We will learn more after June 30. If there is another good prop on the scene in the NRL or one who is emerging through the lower grades, it may be a safer bet to look in our own backyard. The positive remains up front we are looking really healthy and if we don't sign Ward, no big deal, it won't impact on our 2007 season.

DeeGan

Queenslander
20-01-06, 04:48 PM
True, the heading is not ideal though when he sets foot on Australian soild (that's IF he sets foot on Australian soil as a Titan) I believe he has a right to start with a clean slate much the way Danny Williams did when heading to London.

The Australian media will judge him not on the past but his deeds on and off the field for the team. Sure they may question the signing given we have said 'we will sign the person before the player' though again the management team are not fools and would not jeopardise our hard work off the field since our inception for one player when we have Bailey and Laffranchi.

We will learn more after June 30. If there is another good prop on the scene in the NRL or one who is emerging through the lower grades, it may be a safer bet to look in our own backyard. The positive remains up front we are looking really healthy and if we don't sign Ward, no big deal, it won't impact on our 2007 season.

DeeGan

If the guy is talented i will give him a fresh slate when/if he gets here; as will many of others....but the media doesnt, which is a shame. And like you said the titans still have plenty of time to make these decisions. Unlike many other clubs we have time on our side!

Steelers
20-01-06, 04:56 PM
If the guy is talented i will give him a fresh slate when/if he gets here; as will many of others....but the media doesnt, which is a shame. And like you said the titans still have plenty of time to make these decisions. Unlike many other clubs we have time on our side!

Have the Sharks been tarnished after signing Lance Thompson?

Queenslander
20-01-06, 04:58 PM
Have the Sharks been tarnished after signing Lance Thompson?

In a way i see you point; but Danny Ward would be a unknown to many NRL fans. And the media will just say the fact that Ward has been in trouble before in England and just give headlines stating the fact that "New team signs English bad-boy" ;)

Steelers
20-01-06, 04:59 PM
In a way i see you point; but Danny Ward would be a unknown to many NRL fans. And the media will just say the fact that Ward has been in trouble before in England and just give headlines stating the fact that "New team signs English bad-boy" ;)

Yeah I see your point as well. Let's just agree that the media are a hassle :p

The Original Idiot
20-01-06, 05:03 PM
Too damn lazy to search but did Morley get in any trouble back in the old dart?

Queenslander
20-01-06, 05:03 PM
Yeah I see your point as well. Let's just agree that the media are a hassle :p

I see your point :p and agree. The media gives a headline that is made to create an instant reaction; the story is often underdone :)

DeeGan
20-01-06, 05:30 PM
Too damn lazy to search but did Morley get in any trouble back in the old dart?

From memory he did, I have found this from the Salford Advertiser:

Published: 6th February 2004
Morley says sorry to RFL

GREAT Britain rugby league star Adrian Morley has apologised to the Rugby Football League after being found guilty of a drink-driving offence in Salford over Christmas.

Salford lad Morley, who now plays for Australian club Sydney Roosters, has also agreed to donate ?500 to the charity Rugby League Foundation.

The former Leeds Rhino forward was banned from driving for three years and ordered to complete 40 hours of community service after being caught over the limit in December - just three weeks after playing for Great Britain in the Think! Road Safety Test series against Australia.

But the League executive chairman, Richard Lewis, has said the RFL, though disappointed with Morley?s behaviour, will be taking no further action following an investigation.

He said: ?The matter has been dealt with by the courts and, therefore, no further disciplinary action is being taken."

?Nonetheless, both the RFL and Adrian felt it would be appropriate forAdrian to clearly demonstrate his remorse for what happened and this hehas now done.?

The RFL?s decision to accept the apology and donation lays to rest reports in Sydney which had suggested that Morley could be hit with a ban.

I have a feeling there was an earlier off-field indiscretion as well though I haven't the time to look further in to.

DeeGan

The Original Idiot
20-01-06, 05:56 PM
^ I was thinking from his pre-Rooster days, so that there was a precedent. People aren't generally as hard on the second offender as the first.

Dakink
20-01-06, 06:30 PM
I think he would be a great buy - a start with the Titans surrounded by the type of player bought already could be just the catalyst needed to improve his game beyond ESL standard. It would be extremely niave to think that the club will never have an incident, or a player with an incident in their past on their books. Its how the club handles these and educates the players that will determine the clubs reputation.

DIEHARD
20-01-06, 06:58 PM
Honestly I think he has attitude problems and don't want a bar of him.

We have the entire world to pick from, why pick a bad apple?

Just let some desperate Super League club sign him and let us spend our money more wisely.

Eel 33
20-01-06, 11:13 PM
The competition or a new club doesn't need a player with baggage. The game has enough of them already eg: Crocker, Mason, Hoppa are just a few. A strong message should be sent to these players, mess up or you have baggage and you don't have a contract. I see it as harsh but fair.

Spike
21-01-06, 05:53 AM
There has been no reports of Hull signing Ward, we dont want/need him anyway. Ward, on his day, is a good prop, not world class, nothing special, but he does have an attitude that should not be tolerated by any club. He should not go to a club like the Titans, there are better and more deserved props in game to go to a great club like the Titans, Ward left Leeds in a cloud of shame, don't get me wrong im into giving people second chances, but not to a player who THOUGHT be was bigger and better than other players at the club, THOUGHT he could get away with infringing club policies, and THINKS he can now go to a world class club. I just feel sorry for his next employers!

DeeGan
23-01-06, 10:45 PM
Looks like Danny Ward may fit the billing for the Gold Coast Titans, thanks to super cronk for finding this piece in another thread:

The British contingent at NRL newcomers the Gold Coast Titans may soon double after the Titans joined the queue for rugby league bad boy Danny Ward.

After securing flying Irish winger Brian Carney for their 2007 debut season, Gold Coast coach John Cartwright has his sights set on props with sacked Leeds forward Ward high on the list.

Titans executive director Michael Searle confirmed English reports that they had expressed interest in the Great Britain frontrower who controversially had his contract torn up by Leeds last week.

The 25-year-old prop was dumped for "a series of breaches of club rules over the last 12 months".

But his sacking has not quashed demand for Ward - his agent Ron Hill said he had already spoken to four English and "several" Australian clubs.

"There are still a number of options on both sides of the water," Hill told The Guardian newspaper of Ward who played his last game in Leeds' Super League grand final loss to Bradford in October.

Searle said Cartwright's priority was finding a front row partner for Test prop Luke Bailey.

"The next marquee player we would be looking would be a frontrower," he said.

"Danny's name has come up with our head coach (Cartwright).

"Front rowers is something we will certainly be looking at on the market after the anti-tampering deadline lifts on July 1."

Ward - the son of former Leeds captain and coach David Ward - played 135 senior games for the Rhinos and earned his first Great Britain cap two years ago.

The "deeply embarrassed" prop issued a statement shortly after his sacking to apologise for his behaviour at Leeds.

Ward may look to sign with an English club for the new Super League season starting on February 10 before heading to the NRL.

Ward's former Leeds team-mate Richie Mathers is also in the Titans' sights.

"We have a strong interest in Richie. Negotiations are on-going with his management - we are not in a hurry," Searle said.

"Fullback is a position we need to fill and by all reports in the UK he is the next Great Britain fullback.

"We will monitor him closely over the next couple of months."

Searle said the Titans were already waiting nervously for the anti-tampering deadline to expire to approach the likes of Wests Tigers halfback Scott Prince.

"It's like waiting for Christmas," he said.

"Lots of clubs will be interested in Scott by then (July 1) so that will bump up his price and the Tigers may have re-signed him by then.

"But at the moment we already have four halfback options."

smh.com.au

First up Michael is on the money in his assessment of Mathers, HE IS the next Great Britain fullback and would of been there if not for season ending surgery in 2005.

As for the search for another marquee prop, again, I agree as any team looking to competition needs a good three man prop rotation. Bailey, Laffranchi and Ward offer that IF Ward signs a contract.

DeeGan

Dakink
24-01-06, 07:41 AM
I still think that if Mahersd falls through they have a ready made replacement in Greenshields (depending on what happens with Barrett). He has shown that he is going to be a fantastic fullback.

DeeGan
24-01-06, 09:41 AM
I still think that if Mahersd falls through they have a ready made replacement in Greenshields (depending on what happens with Barrett). He has shown that he is going to be a fantastic fullback.

I rate Clinton Greenshields highly Dakink and the possible move from Barrett makes him more valuable to the Dragons with Hornby to move to the halves. In saying that, one of the many Dragons fans on this site was quick to point out that the Dragons have a young fullback waiting in the wings that would handle the job IF you lost Greenshields. The name escapes me at the moment.

Surname might be Morris?

DeeGan

Queenslander
24-01-06, 11:00 AM

My prediction about those sort of headlines has been proven correct ;) And we havent sign him yet!

The previous article posted by DeeGan was titled
"Titans seek to sign bad boy"

from foxsports.com.au: http://foxsports.news.com.au/story/0,8659,17909855-23214,00.html

DeeGan
24-01-06, 11:01 AM
My prediction about those sort of headlines has been proven correct ;) And we havent sign him yet!

The previous article posted by DeeGan was titled
"Titans seek to sign bad boy"

from foxsports.com.au: http://foxsports.news.com.au/story/0,8659,17909855-23214,00.html

I will pay that - I saw that this morning and thought "only a matter of time before Queenslander brings this back up" :laugh: With good reason too ;)

DeeGan

Queenslander
24-01-06, 11:02 AM
I will pay that - I saw that this morning and thought "only a matter of time before Queenslander brings this back up" :laugh: With good reason too ;)

DeeGan

:laugh: :laugh: I love the media.....they are so predictable :laugh:

I even got the "bad boy" part right :laugh: