PDA

View Full Version : Arthur Beetson dead

TITAN PETE
01-12-11, 11:36 AM
ARTHUR Beetson, a rugby league icon and the godfather of the State of Origin, has died at 66.
The former Queensland legend and Eastern Suburbs forward suffered a heart attack while cycling.

Police confirmed Beetson's death on the Gold Coast this morning.
Queensland Premier Anna Bligh was quick to pay tribute.

"This morning Queensland has lost one of its legends and one of its favourite sons," she said.

"He was a knockabout bloke from country Queensland, he loved his leagues, he loved his Queensland and his loss will be felt from many."
Beetson, 66, was riding his bike at Paradise Point around 9.15am on Thursday when witnesses said he suffered severe chest pains and ambulance officers were called to treat him at the scene.

Beetson was Queensland's first State of Origin captain in 1980, and coached the Maroons to series wins from 1982, 1983, 1984 and 1989.

He was inducted into the Australian Rugby League Hall of Fame in 2003.

In February 2008, Beetson was named in a list of Australia's 100 Greatest Players (1908-2007) which was commissioned by the NRL and ARL to celebrate the code's centenary year in Australia.

Beetson went on to be named in the front-row in Australian rugby league's Team of the Century.

Read more: http://www.news.com.au/national/arthur-beetson-dead-heart-attack-claims-rugby-league-legend/story-e6frfkvr-1226211071843#ixzz1fEri7Ap8

Boofhead
01-12-11, 12:28 PM
What a legend. RIP.

Toads
01-12-11, 02:51 PM
Queenslanders and Indigenous folk alike lost one of very best today.. The way you conducted yourself and the never say die attitude was something that was truely inspiring. :salute:

Thanks for the memories. Rest in Peace, Big Fella. :drinkies:

Titanic Believer
01-12-11, 03:19 PM
Artie. Thanks for the memories. I clearly remember him standing in tackles and terrorizing Qld, in the annual interstate clashes and lamenting , "he is a Queenslander!" So glad he could represent Qld and gives NSW some stick. He was one of the greatest.

Titanic
01-12-11, 03:39 PM
Posting to register my dismay and sense of loss.

If you are too young to understand this man's contribution to our game then get a copy of Origin 1 and listen to the crowd ... nobody who was in attendance could ever forget.

TITAN PETE
02-12-11, 10:46 AM
Queenslanders and Indigenous folk alike lost one of very best today.. The way you conducted yourself and the never say die attitude was something that was truely inspiring. :salute:

Thanks for the memories. Rest in Peace, Big Fella. :drinkies:

The Rugby League WORLD lost a Legend today , easily the Greatest Front Rower our game has ever seen & there will never be another man like him , one who had more Speed than most backs & probably the Best offloads ever seen, not to mention some of those massive hits he put on his opposition..!

Thank you for the memories Mr Beetson.

R.I.P

TITAN PETE
02-12-11, 10:47 AM
MCLEOD: Farewell to a legend
Pat McLeod | December 2nd, 2011

In fact there were only 33,210 at Lang Park on that frosty evening more than 30 years ago but since then it seems I have spoken to twice that number who claim they were there.

However I have seen and heard enough of Big Artie over following decades to form my own mental picture.

On July 8, 1980, at Lang Park, on land that was a former graveyard, Artie Beetson revived rugby league by ensuring the first ever State of Origin match left fans hungry for more.

By then Big Artie was already a league legend and past his playing prime. He had played his last Test for Australia three years previously. On form he should not have been selected for the bold sporting experiment. But cometh the hour . . .

Big Artie was a man of deeds, not words. More than once I considered it a contradiction in terms that he was trumpeted as "the guest speaker'' at so many sportsman's lunches.

When he did speak the sentences were short and the intent of his remarks always crystal clear. His huge physique surrounded by an even greater aura.

It is easy to understand why, not only his teammates, but also all of Queensland stood behind him at The Cauldron in 1980.

I've seen the photos and the staccato footage. Beetson, an ageing rugby league warrior, running on to Lang Park, sleeves cut, face frozen.

King Wally Lewis told me years later of the impact Big Artie had on and off the field that night.

"We ran out one by one to a massive cheer but when Artie Beetson ran out there was a noise louder than I had ever heard, or since heard,'' he said.

Until then interstate rugby league was a mis-match. The best Queenslanders played in Sydney and therefore played for NSW. They would come north of the border a couple of times a year to embarrass former teammates.

Then came Origin and Beetson's greatest legacy. Big Artie needn't have played that night. In the twilight of his career he saw the dawning of something great. But if Origin were to become the jewel in the crown of rugby league it needed to have a bloody birth. It needed to evoke the raw passions of the game.

That night Beetson provided the material that spin-doctors have dined on ever since Mate against Mate, State against State. Queensland won a brutal match 20-10 and Origin was set in stone.

A couple of years ago I was at another State of Origin evening with Big Artie. So different from the first.

This was at the Gold Coast's Benowa Bowls Club and Origin came via a large screen at the end of a long table.

At the head of the table was Big Artie. Across from him one of his closest friends, another rugby league legend, Tommy Raudonikis.

Big Artie and Tommy had been opposing captains at Origin I. Thirty years later they did the speaking circuit together. Big Artie standing strong and mostly silent, Tommy barking like an angry cattle dog.

During the evening Tommy leant forward, his gravel voice softened as his mind travelled back in time. He nodded at Big Artie and said: "I remember running out on to Lang Park to an atmosphere I had never felt before or after and I have played at stadiums across the globe.

"I saw Arthur run out, steam almost flowing from his ears. I remember thinking, `Something is happening tonight and we are in trouble'.''

DIEHARD
06-12-11, 09:16 PM
Arthur Henry Beetson OAM

http://www.redcliffedolphins.com.au/assets/images/news/2011/Stories/Arthur%20Henry%20Beetson.jpg

Time stood still at the Redcliffe Leagues Club last Thursday morning as word filtered through of the sudden passing of club and rugby league legend Arthur Beetson.

One of the games most well respected and liked characters, Arthur will always hold a special place in the hearts of everyone associated with the Dolphins.

Redcliffe Dolphins president Bob Jones said Arthur was not only the best forward he had seen play the game, he was also a 'truly top bloke'.

"He had a real affinity with Redcliffe because he played his first two years here as well as coming back as captain/coach in the 80s," Mr Jones said.

Beetson's death on Thursday co-incided with another sad day in Dolphin History - the death of great Ian "Bunny" Pearce who died in a road accident in 1993.

Ex-Dolphins player and Beetson's teammate Steve Bleakley described the 66-year-old as a 'true gentleman of the game'.

"He was captain/coach when I played first grade in 1981 at the Dolphins and he was a champion on and off the field," Mr Bleakley said.

"It's hard to describe this larger than life character, but what I can say is that whether he was mixing with the Prime Minister, club officials or junior players he gave everyone the time of day."

"He was an absolute champion fellow and the club is extremely saddened by the news of his passing."

Beetson signed with the Dolphins for the 1964 season as a 13st 7lb (86kg) five-eighth but arrived to pre-season training weighing slightly more 16 stone (102kg).

In 1965 Beetson shifted to the second row following the three week suspension of his great mate second rower Des Webb.

Those three games saw Beetson win two man of the match awards and earn a Brisbane representative jersey.

With his future seemingly set in the second row Arthur found himself "volunteered" to play front row in the Dolphins maiden grand final victory.

A strong performance in the grand final saw him and the mercurial Kevin Yow Yeh signed by Balmain and as they say in the classics the rest is history.

After 15 years in the Sydney competition rewriting how front rowers played rugby league Beetson returned to where it all started for him the Redcliffe Dolphins.

Under his guidance the Dolphins went within 30 seconds of winning their first grand final since the 1965 victory.

Even while based in Sydney Beetson had strong ties with Redcliffe, his initial transfer fee was what built the Dolphins first clubhouse.

He has been an advocate of the Dolphins playing in the NRL publicly stating he would like to see an NRL grand final played between the Roosters and Dolphins.

When the Dolphins were fighting for their name against the fledgling Gold Coast consortium one of the first to volunteer their support was Arthur Beetson.

Player Number 71
First Grade Games 52
Tries 14
Goals 0
Field Goals 0
Points 42
Member of the 1965 First Grade Premiership side.
1965 Dolphins Player of the Year.
1965 Brisbane Representative.
1965 BRL Player of the Year.
Member of Dolphins Team of the Decade 1957-1966 & 1977-1986.
Selected in Greatest Ever Dolphins Team.

http://www.redcliffedolphins.com.au

DIEHARD
06-12-11, 09:19 PM
Terrible news with the passing of Rugby League Immortal and Kangaroos Legend Arthur Beetson. He was the first Indigenous Australian to captain his country in any sport when he first led the Kangaroos in 1973. He played 29 Test Matches and World Cup matches. Famously captained Queensland to victory in the first ever State of Origin. Rugby League will never forget you Artie.

I just cant believe it but his memory and passion for the game will live on. He will be sorely missed but always remembered. QLD will hopefully win 7 in a row for him

What are your favourite moments from Arthur's life and Rugby League career which spanned two states and two nations and many clubs including the Redcliffe Dolphins, the Eastern Suburbs Roosters, Balmain Tigers, Parramatta Eels, Cronulla Sharks as well as the Hull Kingston Rovers. There are few places in the sport where his influence has not been felt.

Toads
11-12-11, 03:33 PM
The Rugby League WORLD lost a Legend today , easily the Greatest Front Rower our game has ever seen..
Point taken, and duly noted..