PDA

View Full Version : Pre-season Kangaroos Camp

DIEHARD
20-01-06, 10:32 AM
The Broncos are set to boycott a proposed preliminary Australian Rugby League camp on January 28-29, adding further pressure to the strained relationship between former Test coach Wayne Bennett and his successor Ricky Stuart.

Stuart has sought the unprecedented "preliminary Test camp" in Sydney to get to know the players better before the clash with the Kiwis at Brisbane's Suncorp Stadium on May 5.

He has asked for Broncos Darren Lockyer, Petero Civoniceva, Brent Tate and Shaun Berrigan to attend but the Broncos have a camp on the Sunshine Coast the same weekend.

The camp was scheduled months ago but the club was only told about the proposed Test camp on Wednesday.

"Unfortunately, this will be built into a Wayne versus Ricky thing when that is not the case," Broncos chief executive Bruno Cullen said last night.

"The Coolum camp is an important part of our build-up to the season and we want all the players to be there.

"If Ricky wants to get to know the Brisbane players maybe he could fly up some time for lunch."

Bennett resigned as coach soon after returning to Australia from the 2005 Tri-Nations in England where the Kangaroos were beaten 24-0 by New Zealand in the final. Stuart was appointed his successor and criticisms of aspects of the conduct of the Tri-Nations campaign resulted in a slanging match between Stuart and Bennett.

North Queensland chief executive Peter Parr said last night several Cowboys players had been invited to attend the camp but he would leave it up to the ARL to release their names.

Parr said the players would be allowed to attend if the camp went ahead.

Second-rower Luke O'Donnell was the only Cowboys player on the Tri-Nations tour.

The Courier Mail

DIEHARD
20-01-06, 10:34 AM
I support the introduction of a small weekend camp for potential Kangaroos players. It may infringe on some NRL training, the clubs should have been warned about it before they put together their pre-season training regime. But the NRL season is still a month and a half after the camp.

I really think we need a rallying point in our campaign to return the Tri Nations to its rightful owner, this may be it.

DeeGan
20-01-06, 10:38 AM
Geez, tell me this ain't going to be a game of 'tit for tat' between Brisbane and the Ricky Stuart led Australian team :ok:

The camp was scheduled months ago but the club was only told about the proposed Test camp on Wednesday

How is it a NRL club (with the Australian skipper) only finds out about this camp Wednesday?

If the Australian coach is wanting a mini camp to meet his players before the May Test, like the Cowboys, I would hope all NRL clubs oblige him given it is the pre-season and only eating in to a couple of days over a weekend.

DeeGan

Queenslander
20-01-06, 10:39 AM
If the Broncos were only told on Wednesday then its not their fault that their players are busy. I support these sort of "team building" camps but they have got to give their players time. Plus its a bit early to start a camp for the Australian team. All the players know each other and im sure they know Ricky......it sounds like another excuse for a holiday....when they should be training for the upcoming NRL season.

DIEHARD
20-01-06, 10:43 AM
But when else would you have a camp for the Kangaroos? With the Anzac Test on May 5th? There won't be any other free weekends in the season, in the lead up.

One thing that plagues rugby league is poor lines of communication. I have no idea how the Broncos couldn't know about this. But the communication problem needs to be fixed.

Queenslander
20-01-06, 10:47 AM
But when else would you have a camp for the Kangaroos? With the Anzac Test on May 5th? There won't be any other free weekends in the season, in the lead up.

Thats always been a problem with the "Anzac" test. This camp would help that problem but as you said communication has been a problem in the past and it looks like it still is.

DeeGan
20-01-06, 10:50 AM
I am certain the players all know or know of Ricky Stuart though I am not sure that impacts on what Ricky Stuart may be wanting to get from a mini-camp over a weekend in late January.

I appreciate that yet again your defending your team here Queenslander though when would a 'team bonding camp' like this be suitable? Late February which hampers a NRL clubs pre-season training even further? Should we look at it when the season starts? Surely not.

If the Broncos only found out about it Wednesday, they have a right to be peeved, though IMO they should be seen to be flexible as well given I cannot see any other NRL club kicking up a fuss when dealing with the best interests of their players who may wear the green and gold.

Reality is the timing of the camp is not going to impact greatly on a club who started pre-season training late 2005. Brisbane can argue until blue in the face that it will though reality is the bulk of the pre-season training would be done during the week, not the weekend.

Brisbane vs the world part IV - coming to the NRL season in 2006.

DeeGan

Queenslander
20-01-06, 10:56 AM
I appreciate that yet again your defending your team here Queenslander though when would a 'team bonding camp' like this be suitable? Late February which hampers a NRL clubs pre-season training even further? Should we look at it when the season starts? Surely not.

No one else seems to like the Broncos here so im just sitting in the sinking boat ;) But as i have said the camp would solve the problems of "team bonding camp" for the Anzac Test, its just a shame it wasnt communicated with the Broncos earlier as it disrupts their own camp.

If the Broncos only found out about it Wednesday, they have a right to be peeved, though IMO they should be seen to be flexible as well given I cannot see any other NRL club kicking up a fuss when dealing with the best interests of their players who may wear the green and gold.

I think they are trying to be flexible but people are just seeing the Ricky vs Wayne battle......the broncos have invited Ricky to the club to have a bonding session with the respective players

DeeGan
20-01-06, 11:06 AM
No one else seems to like the Broncos here so im just sitting in the sinking boat ;) But as i have said the camp would solve the problems of "team bonding camp" for the Anzac Test, its just a shame it wasnt communicated with the Broncos earlier as it disrupts their own camp.

Again, the Broncos have a right to be a little annoyed at the lack of communication IF the other NRL teams were aware months before. I find it hard to believe though I can only go off what is reported.

I think they are trying to be flexible but people are just seeing the Ricky vs Wayne battle......the broncos have invited Ricky to the club to have a bonding session with the respective players

True, they are offering up an alternative though the 'team bonding' is thrown out the window when it involved only the coach and players from Brisbane ;)

As much as it will be painted as a Ricky vs Wayne battle, right or wrong there is no denying the tension between the two parties which will involve both clubs as a result (though Sydney v Brisbane is not a new rivalry it has to be said). I cannot see Brisbane bending too much for Ricky (as they are showing here) and I feel for the players in the middle. If the rest of the Australian players invited are turning up January 28-29, I am certain they would love to be there for that weekend as well.

If it were the Gold Coast Titans in the middle of this one I would like to think we would express our frustration to the powers to be (NRL/ARL) but also accomodate the national team and not keep our players from a camp that the coach deems important.

DeeGan

Eel 33
20-01-06, 11:32 AM
Im not getting into a Bennett v Stuart arguement, i equally dislike both men. To offer to have lunch with the Brisbane Aussie players separately makes a mockery of what Stuart is trying to do. New coach, new ground rules id say. Pulling together 30 or so potential Kangaroo players to outline what the coach has i store is a great idea.

Let the iron fist go Bennett, this sounds like the beginning of paranoia setting in.

DIEHARD
23-01-06, 01:05 PM
Kangaroos Coach Already Plots Revenge

New Kangaroos coach Ricky Stuart has wasted no time plotting Australia's league redemption.

Although the National Rugby League kick-off is seven weeks away and the Anzac test a blip on the horizon, Stuart has put players on notice that they are under consideration for the May 5 test at Brisbane's Suncorp Stadium, where Australia hope to avenge their Tri-Nations title loss to the Kiwis last November.

Stuart has named an initial 40-man squad to meet in Sydney next weekend, including many established internationals. But he has also got an eye for the future by naming promising players including Anthony Tupou (Roosters) and Melbourne teenager Greg Inglis.

Inglis, who turned 19 this week, was also named by selectors in a squad for an emerging Queensland State of Origin camp.

The fullback made his first-grade debut only last season, appearing in 13 games for the Storm alongside rookie Kiwis' wing Jake Webster.

Inglis was one of five Melbourne players named in the squad, alongside Cameron Smith, Billy Slater, Michael Crocker and Matt King.

Brisbane had four players - Darren Lockyer, Petero Civoniceva, Brent Tate and Shaun Berrigan - selected but they have already been ruled out by club officials as it clashes with a camp the club has already scheduled.

Andrew Johns, Penrith half Craig Gower and Knights hooker Danny Buderus are also unavailable and players from Wests Tigers were excluded as they will be in England for the World Club Challenge.

Notable inclusions were Cronulla prop Ben Ross, Penrith fullback Rhys Wesser and Sydney Roosters' Braith Anasta and Ashley Harrison.

Cronulla halfback Brett Kimmorley, dropped after the opening game of last year's Origin series, has also been named.

Source: NZ Herald

Dakink
23-01-06, 01:17 PM
Is there a complete squad list anywhere?

DIEHARD
23-01-06, 01:26 PM
Is there a complete squad list anywhere?

None has been released. I guess having the NRL website out of action doesn't help.

You could probably piece together one from various articles. I'm sure one will turn up over the next couple days.

You would think they would publish the squad with their article if they had access to it.

..::Coops::..
23-01-06, 03:18 PM
well, i didn't see this thread and posted my thoughts into another, but i agree with what Queenslander said ( surprise surprise).

Again, the Broncos have a right to be a little annoyed at the lack of communication IF the other NRL teams were aware months before. I find it hard to believe though I can only go off what is reported.

True, they are offering up an alternative though the 'team bonding' is thrown out the window when it involved only the coach and players from Brisbane ;)

As much as it will be painted as a Ricky vs Wayne battle, right or wrong there is no denying the tension between the two parties which will involve both clubs as a result (though Sydney v Brisbane is not a new rivalry it has to be said). I cannot see Brisbane bending too much for Ricky (as they are showing here) and I feel for the players in the middle. If the rest of the Australian players invited are turning up January 28-29, I am certain they would love to be there for that weekend as well.

If it were the Gold Coast Titans in the middle of this one I would like to think we would express our frustration to the powers to be (NRL/ARL) but also accomodate the national team and not keep our players from a camp that the coach deems important.

DeeGan

If the rest of the Australian players invited are turning up -
Johns, Buderus and Gower are all not attending (could be wrong but Gower has his wedding to attend).
And the bulldogs players have yet to confirm whether they will be attending ( but since they are already in sydney i'm pretty sure tehy will be.)
so why is there all a fuss over the Broncos? The Broncos players have other commitments which were already in place BEFORE this camp was organised, other players also have commitments.
and the "team bonding", i thought the article said it was more a meet and greet between teh coach and potential players.

..::Coops::..
23-01-06, 03:25 PM
Geez, tell me this ain't going to be a game of 'tit for tat' between Brisbane and the Ricky Stuart led Australian team :ok:

How is it a NRL club (with the Australian skipper) only finds out about this camp Wednesday?

If the Australian coach is wanting a mini camp to meet his players before the May Test, like the Cowboys, I would hope all NRL clubs oblige him given it is the pre-season and only eating in to a couple of days over a weekend.

DeeGan

Yes it is only a couple of days over the weekend, and probably any other weekend and the Broncos would b in attendence but, this weekend happens to fall on the same time as the Broncos camp, and while it is the pre-season, this camp at coolum will probably be also about bonding between the players as well as training.

DIEHARD
23-01-06, 03:41 PM
Man it is a pretty sad state of affairs if the Kangaroos captain won't be at the camp. :(

Queenslander
23-01-06, 08:26 PM
Man it is a pretty sad state of affairs if the Kangaroos captain won't be at the camp. :(

Is that the argument now :p First off it people were complaining about the fact that the Broncos are not attending (because of the Ricky vs Wayne War)...Now that some other clubs may pull out..The argument now moves to the fact that the captain isnt turning up :laugh: Just remember that the Kangaroo captain is also the captain of the Broncos

DIEHARD
23-01-06, 09:33 PM
I wasn't making an arguement, but an observation of the situation.

No matter what happened, who did what and who didn't do what.

Having a training camp and not having your captain present, for whatever reasons, is embarrassing.

Queenslander
23-01-06, 10:34 PM
I wasn't making an arguement, but an observation of the situation.

No matter what happened, who did what and who didn't do what.

Having a training camp and not having your captain present, for whatever reasons, is embarrassing.

I agree it is embarrassing. Thats why the broncos are keeping Lockyer and other senior players at their own camp ;) .

Lennox Titan
24-01-06, 12:08 AM
A camp with Bennett, how exciting. Everyone have thier prune juice and then its off to bed before dark. I heard Bennett plays Bette Midler tunes on his Harmonica as a pre game rev up.

Why shouldn't it be a Bennett v Stuart thing? that's an interesting story. Two arrogant you knows whats going at it. I'd say Bennett and the Broncos have got the better of him lately. The only combacks he makes are two weeks late.

DIEHARD
24-01-06, 12:12 AM
Young Roos to hop into squad

Emerging NRL stars Ashton Sims, John Sutton and Anthony Tupou are set to be catapulted into the national selection arena by winning places in a potential Australia squad announced today.

In a first-time move, newly appointed Kangaroos coach Ricky Stuart has called a preliminary Australia camp to be held in Bondi this weekend.

Rising trio Sims, Sutton and Tupou are three names set to be read out when the Australian Rugby League announces an expected 48-man squad today.

The camp will comprise a combination of current and potential Australia players who may feature in the May 5 Test match against Tri-Nations champions New Zealand in Brisbane.

Four Brisbane players - Petero Civoniceva, Darren Lockyer, Shaun Berrigan and Brent Tate - will not be present due to a pre-arranged Broncos camp on the Sunshine Coast.

Premiers Wests Tigers are another team who will go unrepresented due to the Tigers squad departing for World Club Challenge commitments this Sunday.

Other players understood to have won selection for the camp include St George Illawarra stars Ben Hornby, Ben Creagh and Dean Young along with prize Roosters recruit Braith Anasta.

Anasta's selection returns the Roosters five-eighth to the representative radar after missing out on the Kangaroos' train-on squad at the end of last season.

ARL chief executive Geoff Carr will announce the full squad of players to attend the camp today.

"The camp will consist of a group of players who Ricky and the selectors feel may play for Australia," Carr said.

"There will be a lot of current players along with some others who the selectors feel are potentially good enough to represent their country."

The Daily Telegraph

DeeGan
24-01-06, 10:45 AM
I can't be happier with what Ricky Stuart brings to the Australian team and the selections here are again moves in the right direction - NEW BLOOD finally getting more of a look in. First we had Greg Inglis, now Sims, Sutton and Tupou. Hats off to Ricky :thumbsup:

DeeGan

DIEHARD
24-01-06, 01:23 PM
I can't be happier with what Ricky Stuart brings to the Australian team and the selections here are again moves in the right direction - NEW BLOOD finally getting more of a look in. First we had Greg Inglis, now Sims, Sutton and Tupou. Hats off to Ricky :thumbsup:

DeeGan

Absolutely.

Having new blood and a team selected on form, only makes the Kangaroos the best of the very best and adds to the Kangaroos prestige and grandeur.

It is what people want to see. The selection of the new look Kangaroos should get a lot of media coverage. It will be an exciting issue.

Dakink
24-01-06, 02:13 PM
Bye bye Petero Bye Bye!!!!

But seriously we do need an influx of new talent - though perhaps the players had simply become tired under the same coach for a long period?

DIEHARD
24-01-06, 02:20 PM
Maybe not, but maybe they are looking towards the World Cup.

Might blood 1-2 at the Anzac Test or Tri Nations.

DIEHARD
24-01-06, 02:31 PM
Kangaroos Pre Season Meeting

The Kangaroos preparations for the 2006 Tri Nations campaign begin with an overnight camp at Bondi this Saturday 28 January.

A mixture of established representative stars along with potential debutants combine to make up the 44 players who will attend the camp.

Due to obligations with the World Club Challenge Wests Tigers players were not considered for selection and prior commitments have seen the following players excused from attending the camp: Andrew Johns, Ben Kennedy, Brent Tate, Craig Gower, Danny Buderus, Darren Lockyer, Petero Civoniceva, Shaun Berriga

PLAYER - CLUB
Andrew Ryan - Bulldogs
Anthony Minichiello - Sydney Roosters
Anthony Tupou - Sydney Roosters
Ashley Harrison - Sydney Roosters
Ashton Sims - St George Illawarra
Ben Creagh - St George Illawarra
Ben Hornby - St George Illawarra
Ben Ross - Melbourne Storm
Billy Slater - Melbourne Storm
Braith Anasta - Sydney Roosters
Brent Kite - Manly Sea Eagles
Brett Kimmorley - Sharks
Cameron Smith - Melbourne Storm
Carl Webb - North Qld Cowboys
Clint Newton - Newcastle Knights
Craig Fitzgibbon - Sydney Roosters
Craig Wing - Sydney Roosters
Dean Young - St George Illawarra
Eric Grothe - Parramatta Eels
Greg Inglis - Melbourne Storm
Jason Ryles - St George Illawarra
John Sutton - South Sydney
Johnathan Thurston - North Qld Cowboys
Luke Bailey - St George Illawarra
Luke Lewis - Penrith Panthers
Luke O'Donnell - North Qld Cowboys
Mark Gasnier - St George Illawarra
Mark O'Meley - Bulldogs
Matt Bowen - North Qld Cowboys
Matt Cooper - St George Illawarra
Matt King - Melbourne Storm
Michael Crocker - Melbourne Storm
Nathan Hindmarsh - Parramatta Eels
Rhys Wesser - Penrith Panthers
Ryan Cross - Sydney Roosters
Steve Menzies - Manly Sea Eagles
Steve Price - New Zealand Warriors
Steve Simpson - Newcastle Knights
Timana Tahu - Parramatta Eels
Tim Smith - Parramatta Eels
Trent Barrett - St George Illawarra
Trent Waterhouse - Penrith Panthers
Willie Mason - Bulldogs
Willie Tonga - Bulldogs

Source: ARL

Dakink
24-01-06, 02:38 PM
If Barrett goes to Wigan is that the end of his selectionchances. What do people here think of only selecting from the NRL? League is one of the few sports top select exclusively from one competition. I cant think of any other that does - in any country in the world.. I am talking if there is a better player playing other than in the domestic competition.

DIEHARD
24-01-06, 02:51 PM
I think we should only select from the NRL except in extraordinary circumstances.

DIEHARD
24-01-06, 10:23 PM
Stuart uses Origin model for Roos

National league coach Ricky Stuart will take a leaf from the State of Origin preparation book when he takes a 44-man Australian rugby league squad into camp 10 months ahead of the 2006 Tri Nations series this weekend.

The ARL today announced the squad for the camp at Bondi with several big names excused, bolters Greg Inglis, Tim Smith, John Sutton and Ashton Sims included, and Matt Orford among the surprise omissions.

Andrew Johns, Ben Kennedy, Brent Tate, Craig Gower, Danny Buderus, Darren Lockyer, Petero Civoniceva and Shaun Berrigan were all given pardons due to "prior commitments".

Players from NRL premiers Wests Tigers, who are preparing for the World Club Challenge, were also excused.

But new Manly recruit Orford and Sydney Roosters' half Brett Finch were notable exclusions, particular given the selection of young halves Smith and Sutton.

ARL chief executive Geoff Carr, though, said the squad was not a final list of players in line for national selection this year.

"Matt Orford can still get picked ... He might use this as a motivator to make sure he is picked and he'd be capable of that," Carr said.

Stuart, who succeeds Wayne Bennett following last year's Tri Nations defeat, has stated his intention to stress the pride, honour and passion that should come with wearing the green and gold.

Carr said the former NSW mentor was keen to follow a State of Origin model, and a weekend in the pre-season was the only one available before the one-off Anzac Test against Tri Nations champion New Zealand on May 5.

"It's something Queensland Origin do, it's something New South Wales Origin do," Carr said.

"Ricky was very mindful that he wanted to have them for a weekend and the only time he could do it was before the pre-season games start."

"He saw it work in Origin and he thought there were some benefits to it. He's the first Australian coach to do it but we supported it."

Carr said although the Kangaroos first outing is the Anzac Test the squad was picked with an eye to the Tri Nations series at year's end.

The selectors did not have to make a decision on whether to include 2005 Kangaroo tourist Craig Gower following the recent bad behaviour at a celebrity golf tournament which cost him the Penrith captaincy and a $100,000 partly suspended fine.

He was unavailable in any case as he's getting married this weekend.

Meanwhile, Stuart's nominees for his assistants at the Kangaroos will go before a meeting of the ARL board in February.

Australian squad (by club)

Bulldogs: Andrew Ryan, Mark O'Meley, Willie Mason, Willie Tonga

Cronulla: Ben Ross, Brett Kimmorley

Manly: Brent Kite, Steve Menzies

Melbourne: Billy Slater, Cameron Smith, Greg Inglis, Matt King, Michael Crocker

Newcastle: Clint Newton, Steve Simpson

New Zealand Warriors: Steve Price

North Queensland: Carl Webb, Johnathan Thurston, Luke O'Donnell, Matt Bowen

Parramatta: Eric Grothe, Nathan Hindmarsh, Tim Smith, Timana Tahu

Penrith: Rhys Wesser, Trent Waterhouse, Luke Lewis

St George Illawarra: Ashton Sims, Ben Creagh, Ben Hornby, Dean Young, Jason Ryles, Luke Bailey, Mark Gasnier, Matt Cooper, Trent Barrett

South Sydney: John Sutton

Sydney Roosters: Anthony Tupou, Ashley Harrison, Braith Anasta, Craig Fitzgibbon, Craig Wing, Ryan Cross, Anthony Minichiello

Source: http://www.NEWS.com.au

Steelers
24-01-06, 10:41 PM
If Barrett goes to Wigan is that the end of his selectionchances. What do people here think of only selecting from the NRL? League is one of the few sports top select exclusively from one competition. I cant think of any other that does - in any country in the world.. I am talking if there is a better player playing other than in the domestic competition.

I think we should be able to pick from the ESL. Just imagine if Joey went over to England to finish his career and he didn't have a bung knee. Imagine if Mark Gasnier went to England. Imagine if Minichiello went to England? English based players SHOULD be available for selection IMO.

Steelers
24-01-06, 10:43 PM
St George Illawarra: Ashton Sims, Ben Creagh, Ben Hornby, Dean Young, Jason Ryles, Luke Bailey, Mark Gasnier, Matt Cooper, Trent Barrett

9 Players, more than any other team :D Just shows that we are just about the best team (on paper) in the comp, and have been for a few years.

Queenslander
24-01-06, 10:47 PM
I think we should be able to pick from the ESL. Just imagine if Joey went over to England to finish his career and he didn't have a bung knee. Imagine if Mark Gasnier went to England. Imagine if Minichiello went to England? English based players SHOULD be available for selection IMO.

We could only selected players that did go over to England for the Tri-nations or any other end of season game. But for the ANZAC Test in May it would be harder to get the players from over there and have them at 100%.

Steelers
24-01-06, 10:52 PM
We could only selected players that did go over to England for the Tri-nations or any other end of season game. But for the ANZAC Test in May it would be harder to get the players from over there and have them at 100%.

I agree with that mostly, but for the ANZAC test, we should be able to pick from the ESL in exceptional circumstances.

Queenslander
24-01-06, 10:54 PM
I agree with that mostly, but for the ANZAC test, we should be able to pick from the ESL in exceptional circumstances.

Yes like if all of the other NRL players have bird flu or die.....It would have to be so exceptional for it to happen....I would like to believe that the NRL has enough good players to fill a void in the Australian team if one did arise ;)

Steelers
24-01-06, 10:58 PM
Yes like if all of the other NRL players have bird flu or die.....It would have to be so exceptional for it to happen....I would like to believe that the NRL has enough good players to fill a void in the Australian team if one did arise ;)

LOL you never know, this bird flu could get very big ;) But what I mean is, just say our top few 5/8's get injured, and it just so happens Trent Barrett (or any other quality 5/8) is over playing for Wigan and is currently the best player in the comp (ESL of course). I would say fly him over for the test.

Queenslander
24-01-06, 11:03 PM
LOL you never know, this bird flu could get very big ;) But what I mean is, just say our top few 5/8's get injured, and it just so happens Trent Barrett (or any other quality 5/8) is over playing for Wigan and is currently the best player in the comp (ESL of course). I would say fly him over for the test.

Yeah that bird flu is getting pretty bad, but not as bad as the plague called "Dragons Supporters Disease" :p If heaven forbid we had to call on Trent Barrett ;) we should just pack our bags and quit :laugh:

Seriously if that did happen and we lost some quailty players in a position we should use what we have here and give a younger bloke a go. :thumbsup:

Steelers
24-01-06, 11:05 PM
Yeah that bird flu is getting pretty bad, but not as bad as the plague called "Dragons Supporters Disease" :p If heaven forbid we had to call on Trent Barrett ;) we should just pack our bags and quit :laugh:

:laugh: I just can't help but laugh lol.

DeeGan
24-01-06, 11:37 PM
9 Players, more than any other team Just shows that we are just about the best team (on paper) in the comp, and have been for a few years.'

And how many premierships has that got you? ;)

DeeGan

Steelers
24-01-06, 11:50 PM
'

And how many premierships has that got you? ;)

DeeGan

As I said, "on paper" :p. We had the talent, but we have lacked true consistency up until the last 2/3's of the 2005 season.

DeeGan
25-01-06, 12:09 AM
I think Luke Rooney has a right to be a little disappointed not to get an invite to the camp myself - 2004 Rooney was a standout on the wing in the Tri-Nations and for NSW.

Anthony Watmough I believe is in the same boat, a call up in my mind would of done him the world of good after getting dropped after Origin 1.

You can't pick em' all I guess.

I love this idea and Ricky WILL lead us back to the top of the tree in 2006. Great idea, great concept, hopefully with better communication the Brisbane Broncos will be there next year WITH Luke Bailey (hopefully Scott Prince) representing the Gold Coast Titans :]

DeeGan

DIEHARD
25-01-06, 12:22 AM
I wonder what the Titans view towards the international game will be.

I'd say they'd be very supportive, especially considering they are reaching to the horizons with targeting British players.

DeeGan
25-01-06, 08:47 AM
More relating to the Pre-season camp:

Orford left out of Roos top 50
By James Hooper
January 25, 2006

MANLY'S $1.8 million recruit Matt Orford has been snubbed in a 44-man potential Australia squad announced by Australia selectors yesterday.

In a surprise omission, Orford missed the cut in favour of Queensland halfback Johnathan Thurston, axed NSW playmaker Brett Kimmorley and Parramatta rookie Tim Smith.

New Kangaroos coach Ricky Stuart last night defended the exclusion of the Sea Eagles halfback, pointing out Orford failed to make a single representative side last year.

"No, it's not an oversight. There are certainly a few halfbacks ahead of him, going on representative honours awarded over the past season," Stuart said.

"We've gone for a group of players, the likes of Tim Smith and Greg Inglis, with an eye on giving them a little bit of an insight and a taste of what these sort of camps are like with the World Cup in mind."

But last night Manly chief executive Pat Wilson remained positive about the Sea Eagles star halfback's representative hopes.

"Matt hasn't raised it with us as a matter for concern, I'm sure his name has come up in discussions," Wilson said.

"I'm not here to be exercising my mind over what Ricky (Stuart) wants or doesn't want. He's entitled to pick who he likes.

"It's his call, I'm not here to second guess the national coach."

Orford, who signed a four-year deal with Manly from this season, has represented City Origin and was drafted into the NSW Origin side in 2004 before being injured.

ARL chief executive Geoff Carr said last night Stuart had wanted a larger squad, but limited accommodation had restricted numbers.

"The fact that people aren't in the squad doesn't mean they are out of contention," Carr said.

"Matt would be disappointed in missing out but it may provide that bit of motivation for him to really push to get back in.

"Just because he didn't get picked doesn't mean the coach doesn't like him."

Retired Manly and Kangaroos halfback Geoff Toovey asked why such a large squad had been chosen yet other players could still be selected from outside of it.

"Players who performed strongly all last year but have been left out of such a big squad are entitled to feel dejected," Toovey said.

The Bondi camp will be the first of its kind under new national coach Ricky Stuart, who took control after former coach Wayne Bennett lost the Tri-Nations final to New Zealand in England last November.

Eight players - Andrew Johns, Craig Gower, Danny Buderus, Ben Kennedy, Shaun Berrigan, Petero Civoniceva, Darren Lockyer and Brent Tate - were excused from the camp due to prior commitments whiel Wests Tigers players were not considered due to the World Club Challenge.

I forgot all about Matt Orford and he can feel a little dejected as well this morning. I think Orford needs to find more consistency in his game though in saying that I would of picked him ahead of NRL Rookie of the Year Tim Smith or Brett Kimmorley. Smith I feel is selected to be 'blooded' and be in the company of the elite - great move and hopefully this propels him to another great season in the NRL.

DeeGan

Dakink
25-01-06, 09:15 AM
Though I do like the Manly club's response to Orford missing out;

"I'm not here to be exercising my mind over what Ricky (Stuart) wants or doesn't want. He's entitled to pick who he likes.

"It's his call, I'm not here to second guess the national coach."

DeeGan
25-01-06, 09:21 AM
Though I do like the Manly club's response to Orford missing out;

Yeah classy response from the Manly half.

I think Orford will fit right in at Manly and have one of his better seasons with the club as outside of football he is now close to family and friends. Orford may have found the right mix on and off the field with the game which should see him dominate behind a very good Manly pack led by BK.

DeeGan

Dakink
25-01-06, 09:39 AM
I still hope the last 4 are (in order) Parra, Manly, Dogs and Brisbane with the Rossters just in front of them.

El Chino Fatman
26-01-06, 07:30 AM
God it's good to see Webby getting a go in the 'Roos squad, lets hope he goes all the way.

Tim Smith is clearly selected with a view to the future, a little early imo, however it's not like he'll be running out in a Green and Gold jersey any time soon so it can't hurt.

Kimmorley imo wouldn't make a full strength squad, then again who will play 36d fiddle to Johns and Prince now given Gowers antics?

Orford? Well he's a bit of a nuffy imo so I wasn't greatly shocked by his omission. I don't think he'd even make a Kiwi's squad presently.

Queenslander
27-01-06, 09:09 PM
AUSTRALIA coach Ricky Stuart has invited four rugby league Immortals to a dinner tomorrow night to give his 44-man squad a history lesson.

John Raper, Reg Gasnier, Graeme Langlands and Arthur Beetson will attend the dinner at the squad's camp in Bondi.

Sydney Roosters coach Stuart told AAP today it was important that current players appreciated the deeds of their predecessors.

"I think it's important for players to know a little bit about the history of the game and to understand what these players have done before us," said Stuart.

"You've got players there who have been the best in their positions in the game and they're an elite bunch of people.

"These blokes have achieved the greatest honour in the game in becoming Immortals.

"We're very fortunate to be able to have them come along and share a barbecue with us."

Youngsters such as Greg Inglis, John Sutton and Tim Smith will be rubbing shoulders with the game's elite of yesteryear.

It's all part of Stuart's vow to instil pride and passion back into the Kangaroos jersey after succeeding Brisbane mentor Wayne Bennett as national coach.

"I want players who crave having the crest sitting over their heart," he said last month.

Stuart has just over three months to foster that spirit, with the one-off Anzac Test against Tri Nations champion New Zealand scheduled for May 5 in Brisbane.

http://foxsports.news.com.au/story/0,8659,17955525-23214,00.html

Dakink
28-01-06, 09:00 AM
John Raper, Reg Gasnier, Graeme Langlands and Arthur Beetson will attend the dinner at the squad's camp in Bondi.

Sydney Roosters coach Stuart told AAP today it was important that current players appreciated the deeds of their predecessors.

Fantastic idea - what a way to reinstill a little of the pride back in the jumper.

Then the part about wanting to wear the crest is exactly what I want to hear. I would rather not have the ebst players if they dont want to be there. I would rather a team who are fanatically passionate about playing in the grren and gold. Look at NZ in the Tri-Nations. They had serious passion and our superioir skill couldnt match it.

Queenslander
29-01-06, 04:23 PM
AUSTRALIA coach Ricky Stuart hit back at claims from Tim Sheens today that only one Wests Tigers player had been considered for the Kangaroos squad.

Premiership-winning coach Sheens slammed the Australian Rugby League for failing to let him know where his players stood on the representative scene.

Sheens told radio station Triple M he had heard a rumour that only one Tigers player was considered for the 44-man national squad which went into camp in Bondi this weekend.

"No one from the ARL has bothered to ring me and say we didn't name you but this bloke, this bloke and this bloke were considered," Sheens said.

"It would've been nice to have publicly known from my players' point of view just where they stood.

"It's interesting that Brisbane players weren't considered but were named. My quip was that there was only one (Tiger considered)."

While the ARL signalled out several players, including Andrew Johns and Darren Lockyer, who were excused from the camp because of prior commitments, it did not individually name Wests Tigers players who were pardoned.

Stuart said he thought he was doing the right thing by the Tigers, who played a trial match in the NSW town of Gunnedah on Friday night.

The Tigers fly out to England tonight to prepare for their World Club Challenge match against Bradford on Saturday morning (AEDT).

Stuart said ARL boss Geoff Carr had explained the situation to both Wests recruitment manager Warren McDonnell and chief executive Steve Noyce.

"There were Tigers players considered," Stuart retorted. "I don't know how many times Tim Sheens has to be told.

"He's obviously not being told by his staff but there were Tigers players considered and selected.

"I thought I was doing the right thing by not inviting them into camp because they had a trial match in Gunnedah on Friday night.

"I also wanted to give them the best opportunity to prepare for the World Club Challenge.

"I've been there and done it and you don't need any offside distractions in regards to their preparation for the challenge in England."

Meanwhile, Stuart said he was pleased that rugby league Immortals Reg Gasnier, Johnny Raper and Graeme Langlands had chattered informally to the Kangaroos at a barbecue last night

"They spoke about the enjoyment they had on tours, the enjoyment they had playing for their country," said the Sydney Roosters mentor.

"They spoke briefly about the tradition of the Australian jersey. Chook (Raper) was very good.

"He's a very passionate and emotional person, Johnny Raper, and it was nice to hear from him."

Stuart has previously stated he wants to instil pride and passion back into the Australian jersey.

"There's pride in any national jersey," he said today.

"It's just a matter of how much you've got and how much you respect your position.

"With the Immortals, I just think it's important that players know a little bit about the history of the game.

"They were extremely great players of their time so it was nice to have them in our company."

http://foxsports.news.com.au/story/0,8659,17973826-23214,00.html

Dakink
01-02-06, 12:17 PM
How easy is it for people to get crossed wires and fire uo over nothing. People should seek clarification before venting their anger.