PDA

View Full Version : Lockyer excited to link with Stuart

DeeGan
20-01-06, 09:01 AM
Lockyer excited to link with Stuart
By Simon Kirby
January 20, 2006

DARREN Lockyer may have opted for the familiar when he decided to finish his NRL career under Wayne Bennett at Brisbane, but the Australia captain is excited about stepping into the unknown and linking up with new Kangaroos coach Ricky Stuart.

Lockyer has only played under Bennett and has also had the benefit of their long-standing captain-coach relationship when he skippered Australia.

Despite saying he only has second-hand knowledge of Australia's new coach, the 29-year-old star pivot is relishing the challenge of building a rapport with current Roosters and former NSW mentor Stuart.

"I'm always up for a new start or a fresh start and I guess this is an opportunity with Ricky becoming the coach there," Lockyer said yesterday.

"It's something pretty new to me and exciting."

The 2004 winner of the Golden Boot faded like his team last season but was forced to take a long rest after breaking a bone in his foot playing touch football with the Kangaroos in early November.

Lockyer was back doing light training this week after coming off his crutches early in the new year.

The talismanic Bronco is set to make it back onto the paddock in time for Brisbane's first NRL game, at home to North Queensland in March.

The Daily Telegraph

Darren Lockyer will benefit from having a longer than expected off-season after breaking that bone in his foot, I look forward to seeing him hit top form 3-4 weeks into the NRL season.

Again, I am excited about Ricky Stuart coming to the Australian team and the partnership he forms with Darren Lockyer will be a great one when it is all said and done. I believe Lockyer will be a better player after his time with Stuart as he is getting to pick the brain of a modern day great player and coach. Escaping (well Lockyer wouldn't put it that way) the clutches of Bennett at International level will improve his game rather than detract from it.

DeeGan