PDA

View Full Version : Johns not sure about Origin

Super Cronk
19-01-06, 07:52 PM
Johns not sure about Origin

Foxsports.com.au

CHAMPION playmaker Andrew Johns says he will do the right thing by his NRL club Newcastle and skip the State of Origin series this year if he's not 100 per cent fit.

Johns only returned to training with the Knights this week after surgery on his right knee, which had been previously reconstructed in 2004.

A flare-up in the troublesome joint cut short his contribution to Australia's losing Tri Series campaign last November.

After going under the knife again, Johns sat frustrated on the sidelines for nearly three months but this week ran for the first time.

Johns said although he pulled up a little sore, there was none of the pain that dogged him last season.

But the 31-year-old halfback admitted that he will have to reduce his training load and "manage" his knee if he wants to coax a few more playing years from the worn-out joint.

"At this stage of my career I don't have to be as fit as I was when I was 21, I can pick and choose when I am in and out of the game," Johns said today.

"Fingers crossed, I can play a couple more years."

Johns will not play in any of Newcastle's pre-season trial matches but is set to run out in the curtain-raiser against Paramatta at EnergyAustralia Stadium in March.

The Knights half said despite his love of pulling on the blue jersey for NSW in the annual grudge series with Queensland his priority was with his NRL club, where he has three years left on his contract.

"State of Origin is just the pinnacle, the game in Melbourne is very attractive, I'd love to go and play there in a packed house," Johns said today.

"But I've got to be smart about it.

"If I am pulling up short after (NRL) games, I've got to do the right thing by the Knights.

"It's a long way down the track and I'll decide it (then)."

The first State of Origin game is on May 27 in Sydney with the decider to be held for the first time in Melbourne on July 5 at Telstra Dome.

He may have been the tormentor-in-chief of the Maroons in last year's Origin series but even Reds skipper Darren Lockyer hopes Johns doesn't bow out for the Blues just yet.

"He's a player that everyone comes to watch and he's vital to the game and if hangs up his boots for representative football there'll be people who are disappointed," Lockyer said.

"Having him out there, although he's a menace to Queensland, it's always good to play against him."

-----

I think thats a smart move by Joey. Sure NSW-men want to see him there but he needs to look at his future and playing for the knights. But i think the occasion will be to big in 2006, I reckon he might give SOO a crack then retire from rep footy, thats if his knee isnt 100% fit.

DeeGan
19-01-06, 08:23 PM
Tough, tough decision to be made for Andrew Johns who will want to bow out on his terms from representative rugby league. My feeling is he will declare himself fit for the May 2006 Test and announce his retirement after that encounter.

Can he bow out of Origin any better than 2005? I don't think so, I would leave Origin as the script doesn't get much better for Johns.

(This is QLD fan typing here though :laugh: )

DeeGan

Queenslander
19-01-06, 08:34 PM
Tough, tough decision to be made for Andrew Johns who will want to bow out on his terms from representative rugby league. My feeling is he will declare himself fit for the May 2006 Test and announce his retirement after that encounter.

Can he bow out of Origin any better than 2005? I don't think so, I would leave Origin as the script doesn't get much better for Johns.

(This is QLD fan typing here though :laugh: )

DeeGan

Yeah i say quit while you are ahead, and dont come back! :laugh:

Eel 33
20-01-06, 07:09 AM
It's a smokescreen by Johns to try and lull qlders into thinking he won't play. All my $$$ (which isn't much) is on him playing. No bluffing me joey boy.

Coaster
20-01-06, 09:40 PM
He quit rep football, so does that mean he just quits Australia?

I guess i would be easily surprised if i thought the rules applied to barge Ars*